Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
assigned facehugger at birth

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Do Aliens even have gender?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

you don't see them loving each other over for a goddamn gender binary

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

Only 2 days away from the release of Aliens: Dark Descent. And I messed up this month and won't be able to buy it until payday. Anyone going in day one, please post a trip report. Game looks good as hell.

I'd like to hear about the fuckup.

Gamblin'? Strip club? Someone spook you and your wallet fell down a storm drain?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fish of hemp posted:

Do Aliens even have gender?
They’re hermaphrodites at best - the Queen in Alien Resurrection was self-fertilizing since she laid viable eggs before there were any other Aliens around to possibly “fertilize” her.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndt4ypHZbs4

Now I'm thinking (about Aliens).

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Anyone try the new game yet?

Here's a look at it from Mandalorgaming which overall is pretty decent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndt4ypHZbs4

I like the fact your suppose to evac teams and send in new ones instead of trying to do it all with one team.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
yeah i had the algorithm recommend that one to me (good bot, for once) and on the basis of it pulled the trigger. will provide trip report

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
There's already a full-length gameplay video that's about 13 hours long on YouTube. I'm only part of the way through it but it's seeming pretty decent.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Having played a few hours of it, tldr is that if you don't mind schlock it's good. And maybe I'm bad but not easy even on normal. Does feel like an XCOMified version of Fireteam (which is a good thing, at least to me)

The Mandalore review is basically on point, but man is the prologue tutorial just bad. It feels like a different game and it would be fine if it was even, but yeah, sneaking? C'mon. Fortunately everything after it is more or less nailed, again, assuming you don't mind schlock because there are a lot of hammy references shoved in. Fortunately I'm the guy who would be forcing jokes even if the game wasn't trying anyway, so I'm good. And the narrative being woven in with the otherwise action oriented gameplay works a lot better than you'd think, but honestly they could have dispensed with the StarCraft style click order lines a bit more. It's all very minor criticisms and a lot more words spent describing things that take less than a second off your life to experience.

So, recommend for all those thinking about thos aleins

Glistening Jones
Jun 19, 2023

by vyelkin
I'm on the first mission and can't get the elevator to take me back to the ground floor :(

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I guess Isolation ruined me in so much that I now have zero interest in any game that treats them like overgrown cockroaches to be mowed down by oorah’ing grunts.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

I guess Isolation ruined me in so much that I now have zero interest in any game that treats them like overgrown cockroaches to be mowed down by oorah’ing grunts.

Did you mean Fireteam? That’s the exact opposite of what happens in Isolation.

:gonk::cry:

Glistening Jones
Jun 19, 2023

by vyelkin
I'm just a sucker for all games Aliens, I even played Colonial Marines one and a half times.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Did you mean Fireteam? That’s the exact opposite of what happens in Isolation.

:gonk::cry:

Why would I mean Fireteam? It's precisely because Isolation was so nerve racking and the creature almost impervious to all at your disposal that anything that's just brapbrapbrapbrapbrap [a dozen aliens explode showering you with blood barely more irritating than drain cleaner] bores the poo poo out of me. I crave tension, not mindless cannon fodder.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

Why would I mean Fireteam? It's precisely because Isolation was so nerve racking and the creature almost impervious to all at your disposal that anything that's just brapbrapbrapbrapbrap [a dozen aliens explode showering you with blood barely more irritating than drain cleaner] bores the poo poo out of me. I crave tension, not mindless cannon fodder.

I think I misread your post, my bad. I’m still gonna buy Dark Descent because I’m thinking about that game (and therefore Aliens) a lot :)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HiroProtagonist posted:

Does feel like an XCOMified version of Fireteam
*spams buy button*

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I'm largely finished with the 2nd map and I can say the game's fun - I like the gigantic maps that entice you to explore on conflicting with your limited resources and the ever-rising hive awareness gauge. Things go to poo poo very quickly if you're caught flat-footed, which is very on-point for Aliens.

Mandalore's video hits all my main critiques, though in addition I still really wish there was a way to order around individual squadmates or set a formation; I hate clicking around the room to force the group to rotate a wounded guy out from the front, and once your team's loadout gets more varied having your shotgunner/flamer trooper out of position because they decided to get caught on a trash can for a second really hurts.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Before I literally spam the buy button what's the bug out option like? Can you partial a mission or fail but gain side bonuses? What ultimately caused my to sour on nu xcom was you couldn't decide to scrub a mission you knew you couldn't complete and still come out on top because you're bringing home a looted plasma rifle with clips.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Splicer posted:

Before I literally spam the buy button what's the bug out option like? Can you partial a mission or fail but gain side bonuses? What ultimately caused my to sour on nu xcom was you couldn't decide to scrub a mission you knew you couldn't complete and still come out on top because you're bringing home a looted plasma rifle with clips.

Missions appear to be a long chain of objectives on a gigantic map with secondary stuff strewn about. side objectives can be failed (mainly via survivors getting wrecked) and you'll lose equipment you've gathered if the squad wipes, but otherwise you're free to leave the map whenever you please (assuming you can make it to wherever you parked your dune buggy).

Expect to tackle missions in chunks, evaccing when your stress levels, wounds, and lack of resources get too sketchy to continue on.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ChickenHeart posted:

Missions appear to be a long chain of objectives on a gigantic map with secondary stuff strewn about. side objectives can be failed (mainly via survivors getting wrecked) and you'll lose equipment you've gathered if the squad wipes, but otherwise you're free to leave the map whenever you please (assuming you can make it to wherever you parked your dune buggy).

Expect to tackle missions in chunks, evaccing when your stress levels, wounds, and lack of resources get too sketchy to continue on.
Oh that's excellent. I have now spammed buy.

e: 55 gigs what the christ

e2: huh I got the dlc for free for some reason? Neat.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 21, 2023

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Glistening Jones posted:

I'm just a sucker for all games Aliens, I even played Colonial Marines one and a half times.

I just bought the tabletop rpg, it looks good.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm not sure if I ever finished CM but I've tried. The last few times I installed it, I'm unable to shut down the game and have to reset my entire computer. If the game closes it automatically opens up indefinitely.

I still haven't gotten the Starship Troopers FPS but that's only 20 gigs and I wouldn't have to remove anything. I'll have to watch that Aliens game review that was posted.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Splicer posted:

e: 55 gigs what the christ

It's 2023, I'm thinking "only 55 gigs, thank goodness".

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Tobias, have you been flogging Simpsons prop replicas on the internet again?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Got far enough into Dark Descent to encounter these assholes again

Praetorians rule - they're scary, their role as juvenile-queens-turned-guardians fits perfectly into a hive hierarchy, and despite their design changing with each new game the concept of "pissed-off mini-queen" always ends up looking rad.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
One day in the future I’ll be able to have any other thought in my head. For a while, a few seconds maybe, but any other thought.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Holy poo poo he was cool as gently caress:stare:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cinema version or Director's Cut?

DC has those automated machine guns in the hallway, FYI.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We've all been there.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm not sure if I ever finished CM but I've tried. The last few times I installed it, I'm unable to shut down the game and have to reset my entire computer. If the game closes it automatically opens up indefinitely.

I still haven't gotten the Starship Troopers FPS but that's only 20 gigs and I wouldn't have to remove anything. I'll have to watch that Aliens game review that was posted.

On the steam discussions for the game there's a fix posted on CM starting up again and again, but it's pretty silly that like one or two lines of code has that effect.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I was thinking about Alien and thinking about acting styles and Hollywood vs. East Asian films and TV shows. David Bowie once said on the set of Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, that that movie was "the neo-realism of Hollywood actors versus the Stylistic methods of Asian cinema"

I often think about this scene where Dallas explains what they're doing. Yaphet Kotto is awesome here, the way he rubs his forehead and goes "I don't wanna hear it. I wanna go home a party." and how the crew is just overlapping and speaking naturally, it's all legit perfectly understated method acting. He really DOES look like he wants go home and party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvUbqY1S-QQ

The way the character in these scenes are attacking and defending is classic "good screenwriting 101". And then in this deleted scene where people are just improvising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sk2HDKgzCU

Compared to a clip from a movie like The Host where the emotion and body language seems overwrought and played up for the cameras. Essentially, style over nuance or realism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLHfcs9q4O8

Basically I just wanna say: Alien is a real good film with real good acting and the actors don't get their due. I think the most interesting stuff is everything BEFORE the monster shows up for this very reason.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

redshirt posted:

Definitely Director’s Cut.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The best thing about Alien was how real it was.... for being an outerspace alien science fiction movie.

All of the people were real (phenomenal acting), all of their computers looked real, the ship, the set, everything. That, to me, made it much more terrifying. It's not some pristine future spaceship society where everything is clean and perfect. It's just space truckers working for a lovely company with old equipment and a lot of people can relate to that.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

chainchompz posted:

On the steam discussions for the game there's a fix posted on CM starting up again and again, but it's pretty silly that like one or two lines of code has that effect.

See also: Cancer

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

SPACE TRUCKERS

SPACE FUCKERS

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

redshirt posted:

One day there will exist an easy (easier?) way to put your own cut together, because I like the stuff with Ripley's daughter and the autoguns, but I think the colony stuff is better left out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm all in on the DC and this is a pretty contentious issue in this thread. I'm not going to make my own cut so it's DC for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Beachcomber posted:

One day there will exist an easy (easier?) way to put your own cut together, because I like the stuff with Ripley's daughter and the autoguns, but I think the colony stuff is better left out.

Same. It's so much better without the colony pre-fuckening stuff, just a total journey into the unknown. But I want the Amanda chat and the sentry guns turning the screw.