Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

glwgameplayer posted:

I am now imagining a mech just, stomping up and down on a tank. Over and over again

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a Locust stamping on a Demolisher - forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

aniviron posted:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a Locust stamping on a Demolisher - forever.

Captain Foo posted:

Locust trying to stomp a demolisher to death lol

Either you guys are sharing a brain cell or this is a meme that already exists

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

aniviron posted:

Do you mean I should imagine it forever? Because a Locust only gets within melee range of a Demolisher once. Idiot mech jocks die screaming "b-b-b-but hbstech said!!!!"

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

As long as the Locust moves after the Demolisher, the Demolisher can never ever hurt it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tbh the demolisher seems like something that would just be permanently stuck in the mud or broken down and you just go around it

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gnoman posted:

As long as the Locust moves after the Demolisher, the Demolisher can never ever hurt it.

It's making a melee attack so yes, the Demolisher can hurt it very much.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

aniviron posted:

No need to imagine.

Maybe not the same mech, but close enough lol

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Preston’s Last Stand: Turn 2

Roger twisted his Warhammer to avoid another salvo of LRMs. The missiles thudded into the ground around him, ripping the loamy soil apart and sending plumes of burning dust high into the air. The battle was still in its early stages, and the two sides were still feeling one another out. Weapons fire was sporadic and inaccurate, and nobody was in any real danger just yet.

Roger knew the lull wouldn’t last for long. About half of the Prowler’s forces had moved up to engage them, including a Trebuchet that stormed forwards as if it meant to challenge his Warhammer singlehandedly. The other half were hanging back close to the DropShip, including Josiah Preston himself. The former captain’s Phoenix Hawk hadn’t moved an inch since the battle had begun. Perhaps he was concentrating on coordinating the defence, or perhaps he was just a coward who would only fight personally once he had run out of bodies to feed into the meat grinder. From what Roger had been able to glean about the man, either option could be true.

One of the first things Roger had done after accepting the contract was to request a copy of Preston’s service dossier from the Marik Militia. He had wanted to get a read on the man, and had hoped the document would help him better understand his foe. Reading it had been illuminating. The man was a competent mechwarrior and commander whose career stretched back nearly thirty years. He had been mentioned in despatches five times and decorated for bravery twice. He was described as polite and level-headed, and had never been disciplined or charged with any kind of misconduct. On the surface Preston seemed like the ideal company commander – brave, loyal, and with a solid grasp of both the tactical and strategic dimensions of combat. When Roger had finished reading he had felt more than a little incredulous. How could such a man decide to betray his nation and turn to a life of piracy?

A more careful reading had revealed a possible answer. Preston’s disciplinary record was indeed spotless, but his subordinates recorded a much higher rate of infractions than normal. That struck Roger as incongruous – no truly disciplined commander would tolerate such behaviour from his rank-and-file. Either Preston was overly lax with his men, or he was just as bad as they were but better at hiding his misdeeds. If the latter were true, it would also explain the unusually high rate of attrition amongst his support staff. Several up-and-coming members of his admin team had been abruptly transferred to other units, and a couple had even died under mysterious circumstances. Silencing witnesses, perhaps?

At the very least, Preston’s superiors seemed to have suspected that something wasn’t quite right. A man with his record and length of service should have been an easy pick for promotion to Force Commander, but all of his requests for a higher posting had been denied. Was that, perhaps, the reason for his defection to Anton Marik? Untempered ambition could do terrible things to even the best men.

Roger sighed and turned his attention back to the battlefield at large. Josiah Preston was a problem for later. For now he needed to decide how to respond to the Prowlers’ sudden advance.

Weapons fire for Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Prowlers); needs 13, rolls 4: Automatic Miss!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4G (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Warhammer WHM-6D (Player):
-Fires PPC at Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires PPC at Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 4: Misses!

--

Weapons fire for Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers):
-Fires PPC at Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player); needs 10, rolls 3: Misses!

Weapons fire for Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 12, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 12, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 12, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4G (Player); needs 12, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Goblin Medium Tank (Standard) (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Prowlers):
-Fires LRM-5 at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires LRM-10 at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 9, rolls 3: Misses!

--

Weapons fire for Eagle Standard (DropShip) (Prowlers):
-Disabling final safety mechanisms…

No melee attacks this turn!

Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4G (Player) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Warhammer WHM-6D (Player) gains 21 heat, sinks 20 heat and is now at 2 heat.

--

Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers) gains 6 heat, sinks 6 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers) gains 11 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers) gains 11 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Multi-Tasker: When splitting fire between multiple targets, secondary targeting penalties are reduced by 1.
-Hopping Jack: Pilot suffers a +2 penalty when firing after jumping instead of +3.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat Josiah Preston (0/1)
-Neutralise remaining Prowler forces (0/9)

Secondary Objectives:
-Secure the crash site without damaging the Eagle Standard (250,000 C-Bill Reward)

Next Orders Due: Saturday 24th 9:00PM GMT.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Galleons 1 and 2, ima need you to roll riiiight up in that hunchback's face while I stay back here and command, you'll be fine, I didn't get mentioned in dispatches five times for nothing!

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
This might be a bit risky but I see a chance to get a shot on a 7+ so I'm going to take it. If I back up through the forest to Hex 2505 I can get that enemy Trebuche at Short range with my LRMs (but outside of their minimum range) I think it's 4 Gunnery + 2 Evasion, +1 difficulty for moving. But I doubt I'm going to get a better shot than this. At least for now.

If all goes well I might be able to shred the enemy Trebuche's armor, maybe break a weapon or something.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I would actually just sit still. You're not generating a movement mod from that movement, and you're hitting that treb on 6es (4 base + 2 enemy movement) with the LRMs while it needs a 10+ (4 base + 2 ran + 4 long range) to hit back at you.

I think this is a good turn to try and get the best shots possible in, because with our relatively poor gunnery those chances are going to be few and far between. Once we get closer to the dropship it'll be much more important to be maxing out our movement mods than it is while we've still got range on our sides here.

I'm considering moving on top of the tank in 1509 and shooting at the one in 1511. That gives me an 8 to hit which isn't great, but it also stops fire from the second galleon on me and lets me kick it on a 7. I'm also thinking I can turn and back up one hex in to 1708, and unload on the firestarter on 8s. I'm pretty likely to eat extra heat on this because the firestarter can light the woods up, but it's better for me defensively since at least the woods will give enemies a +1 to hit on me. The firestarter is also a slightly larger threat than the Galleon.

I'll focus on whichever one my blackjack buddy has a better shot at I think.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Gwaihir posted:

I would actually just sit still. You're not generating a movement mod from that movement, and you're hitting that treb on 6es (4 base + 2 enemy movement) with the LRMs while it needs a 10+ (4 base + 2 ran + 4 long range) to hit back at you.

That's fair. I wasn't sure if sitting still counted as them being 7 tiles away. I wasn't 100% sure how to count that out. I guess I'm just going to unload a missile barrage at my twin and see what happens.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

I think this is a good turn to try and get the best shots possible in, because with our relatively poor gunnery those chances are going to be few and far between. Once we get closer to the dropship it'll be much more important to be maxing out our movement mods than it is while we've still got range on our sides here.

I'm considering moving on top of the tank in 1509 and shooting at the one in 1511. That gives me an 8 to hit which isn't great, but it also stops fire from the second galleon on me and lets me kick it on a 7. I'm also thinking I can turn and back up one hex in to 1708, and unload on the firestarter on 8s. I'm pretty likely to eat extra heat on this because the firestarter can light the woods up, but it's better for me defensively since at least the woods will give enemies a +1 to hit on me. The firestarter is also a slightly larger threat than the Galleon.

I'll focus on whichever one my blackjack buddy has a better shot at I think.

Blackjack

I'm thinking of reversing 2 hexes to 2006 to put me out of range of the Firestarter's flamers.

Definitely gonna fire the LLs this turn. If my math is correct, that would mean 8s to hit on the Firestarter and the Galleon in 1508, 10s on the Galleon in 1510, and 7s on the Stinger. The Stinger's easier to hit, but the Firestarter's the bigger threat right now so I'm willing to focus fire on it if you are.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
By the way, don't forget about the Dropship's guns. I think everyone is still out of range of most of them, but if anyone on the frontline gets any closer they will be in their range. And I think the Blackjack and Hunchback are in the range of their LRMs. It might be worth backing into the forest just so you don't get torn up by 40 missiles headed your way.

Not saying that to make you afraid or anything just, keep it in mind

I'm safely out of range though so I'm staying put in 2306 and firing both LRMs at my "Brother"

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 21, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

anakha posted:

Blackjack

I'm thinking of reversing 2 hexes to 2006 to put me out of range of the Firestarter's flamers.

Definitely gonna fire the LLs this turn. If my math is correct, that would mean 8s to hit on the Firestarter and the Galleon in 1508, 10s on the Galleon in 1510, and 7s on the Stinger. The Stinger's easier to hit, but the Firestarter's the bigger threat right now so I'm willing to focus fire on it if you are.

I know I initially mentioned focusing fire, but in retrospect
I'd take shots at whatever is the easiest to hit tbh. These enemies are so light that any heavy weapon hit is a good chance to cripple. A large laser hit will blow off arms, head, bring legs to 1 structure, etc on the stinger.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 21, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

What does the rugged quirk do?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Space Kablooey posted:

What does the rugged quirk do?

Mech needs less maintenance

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The 'Rugged' and 'Easy to Maintain' quirks are an absolute godsend in a Battletech campaign, especially if you're playing with the default maintenance rules (don't do this). They will save you a lot of aggro in the short term and a not insignificant amount of money in the long term.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Doubly so if you're doing a planetary raid contract where you only have field maintenance facilities

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

I'm backing up to 2406 to join our Trebuchet in giving the enemy Treb the patented Sterling and Sable Hello. Fingers crossed I can open some holes for those LRMs to find.

vvvv: yeah, I'm not gonna count our chickens before they hatch but there's decent odds we at least open up a section, and it is full of ammo.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 21, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Warhammer

I'm backing up to 2406 to join our Trebuchet in giving the enemy Treb the patented Sterling and Sable Hello. Fingers crossed I can open some holes for those LRMs to find.

Friendly Trebuchet here. We're launching approximately 50 points of damage at the enemy Treb. (I assume you're using your PPCs and nothing else. For Heat and Range reasons) So best case scenario we completely destroy at least one piece of their body. We still have to roll the dice obviously, it is entirely possible that we hammer its armor but don't actually destroy anything. But I'm thinking it's pretty likely we take out something

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack orders in - 2006, firing both LLs and a ML at the Stinger.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Orders in as well, backing up in to the woods in 1707 and then shooting the firestarter with both MLs and the AC20.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

sacrificing a goat to the dice gods for a TAC ammo cookoff on the enemy treb because it is the funniest outcome

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Let’s Read Wolves on the Border: Part Five

Chapter Eight

The chapter opens with Minobu carefully steering his Vindicator through Fire Rift. Jaime Wolf and his Command Lance have already moved on ahead, forcing Minobu to move quickly in order to catch up. This is proving difficult, since the terrain is full of smouldering ash and volcanic vents that force him to slow down. The heat is also an issue, and Minobu takes a moment to introspect on how dangerous overheating can be, specifically mentioning ammunition explosions and automatic shutdowns.

The igneous rock of the valley is also interfering with communications, so Minobu is essentially blind to the wider situation unfolding around him. However, it doesn’t take long for him to stumble across evidence of recent fighting.

quote:

Minobu’s first sight of the wrecked BattleMech came as he passed through an arch of ruddy stone. Frozen in place against the background of spires and buttes, the ’Mech was gigantic, dwarfing the tablelands. Illusion and his memories had caught him. This was no refugee from a child’s holo entertainment, no impossible machine standing hundreds of meters tall. It was an ordinary Griffin, destroyed in combat. The ’Mech was only fifty meters away, not the hundreds it had first appeared to be.

The left side of the machine’s torso was armless and ripped open. Even a novice MechWarrior could have told that an ammunition explosion had destroyed this ’Mech. The battle damage was light, fingering heat as the killer. Probably an internal buildup followed by detonation of the warheads on its missiles. A similar fate could await his Vindicator, for it carried one hundred-twenty 87mm free-flight rockets, in racks of five. Any one set exploding in its rack would gut the BattleMech more surely than a hit from an enemy PPC. To ignore the high ambient heat level would be suicide.

The Griffin bears Dragoons markings, which doesn’t bode well for the imperilled forces. Minobu looks for the pilot, but the ambient heat makes IR scans useless, and a visual search yields no results. In the end Minobu can only mark the mech on his map display for later salvage and move on.

An hour later, Minobu manages to regain communications with HQ after climbing a low hill. He makes contact with Captain Cameron, and discovers that they have lost contact with Jaime. The command lance was caught in a Snake Stomper ambush during which Jaime’s comms antenna was shot off, preventing him from broadcasting his location. Jaime’s last orders were for the lance to scatter into the Badlands, and nobody has seen or heard from him since.

quote:

“We’ve called up Charleton’s Company from reserve to keep those Stompers off our back while we look for the colonel. Major Blake is up in his LAM.”

That was interesting. Minobu hadn’t known the Command Lance included one of those rare Land-Air ’Mechs. Most Successor Houses had trouble keeping those multiform ’Mechs in fighting trim. That a mercenary force could maintain one said much about the Dragoons’ technical staff and supply capabilities.

Oh boy, LAMs. For those who aren’t aware, LAMs, or Land-Air-Mechs, are special battlemechs that can transform into aerospace fighters. Think the Variable Fighters from the Macross series and you won’t be far off. LAMs are… controversial in the Battletech fandom. Many fans feel they don’t really fit the tone of the setting, that the concept stretches credulity and/or is too anime-esque to fit in with the rest of the universe. This isn’t helped by how janky they are to use in-game, and how their strict construction rules result in them being masters of none in a gameplay sense. The average LAM is slower and less manoeuvrable than most aerospace fighters while in aerospace mode, while also being undergunned compared to most battlemechs while in battlemech mode. The exception is in air-mech mode, a hybrid configuration that was game-breakingly powerful until it was nerfed in Interstellar Operations.

Long story short, LAMs are kind of eh and probably won’t be showing up in this LP.

Anyway, Minobu decides to go and look for Jaime. Cameron protests, but Minobu is an honourable samurai and cannot sit idle when his allies are in danger. He reaches the ambush site and finds it deserted aside from an unidentified mech’s arm lying half-buried in the volcanic sands. He deduces from the various footprints that Jaime’s lance was ambushed by a larger number of lighter battlemechs and forced to withdraw. Since Minobu doesn’t know what type of battlemech Jaime pilots, he chooses to follow the tracks that indicate a larger pursuing force. He makes quick progress, but just as he stops to get his bearings…

quote:

Minobu had hunkered the Vindicator down in order to better use shadows in reading particular marks of passage when his exterior sound pickups brought him the sound of shifting gravel. As he was straightening his machine to a standing position, the new arrival announced his presence over his external speakers of his ’Mech.

“Move it easy and you don’t get cratered, friend.”

:ohdear:

Chapter Nine

quote:

Keeping his ’Mech’s movements slow, Minobu noticed his rear scanners showed a BattleMech half-hidden in the shadow of a twisted spire of stone. No visible markings betrayed its allegiance, though its type—a 55-ton Shadow Hawk—was clear. The newcomer’s autocannon, locked into its firing position, pointed out over the left shoulder. The machine’s right arm, bearing an externally mounted laser, was extended in Minobu’s direction.

“At ease, MechWarrior,” Minobu transmitted as he slowly pivoted his ’Mech. “I am Chu-sa Tetsuhara. We are on the same side.”

Thankfully, the Shadow Hawk turns out to be a friendly. The pilot introduces himself as Sergeant Dechan Fraser, and explains that he is also looking for Jaime Wolf. Fraser is a semi-major character in Wolves on the Border, as well as a recurring character in the wider Battletech universe. I’m pretty sure this is his first appearance, but he also turns up in a number of sourcebooks and other novels. He’s a cool dude, and does some cool stuff later.

Minobu and Fraser banter for a bit before setting off after the tracks. They eventually detect the sounds of battle and make visual contact with a Snake Stomper light lance composed of a Locust, Stinger, Javelin and Valkyrie. The light mechs are harassing the same blue and gold Archer Minobu encountered earlier.

quote:

Moving his machine forward, Minobu caught sight of the Stompers’ target through a notch in a ridge line. It was the blue and gold Archer. The pilot had tried to cross what he must have thought was an old lava flow, but it was not old enough. The 70-ton machine had crashed through the crust, falling in to its waist. Steam rose around it, and Minobu could see the glow of molten rock whenever the ’Mech’s legs churned in its attempts to free itself.

He beamed a transmission at the struggling BattleMech to warn the pilot that help was on the way, but Minobu was not surprised that the Archer did not respond. The ’Mech’s motions were slow and disjointed, as though the pilot were dazed or disoriented. The heat inside the cockpit would be debilitating, leaving the warrior helpless. If the warrior fired any weapons, he could cook himself.

Oof. Falling through a volcanic crust and into lava is an actual thing in the tabletop, and it is brutal. Mechs in lava take damage every turn they stay there, along with +10 points of heat if they end their turn in it. Moving through lava also costs +5 heat per hex traveled. Worse, this heat is cumulative and ignores the usual external heat cap of +15 heat per turn, so there's basically no way to avoid overheating, especially if you’re using Succession Wars era tech.

Minobu and Fraser open fire on the Stomper mechs in an attempt to draw them away from the Archer. The two men manage to tag-team the Locust and bring it down, but firing his Vindicator’s PPC spikes Minobu’s heat to dangerous levels. The battle quickly becomes a deadly game of cat-and-mouse, with the Stompers utilising their superior speed and mobility to great effect. Fraser duels two Stompers at once, because he’s a badass. Minobu stalks the Stomper Javelin and puts an end to it.

quote:

The action at one with Minobu’s thought, the Vindicator’s right arm lifted. A bolt of blue lightning arrowed toward the Stomper ’Mech to score on its leading leg. Armor vanished, and with it, some of the myomer pseudomuscles and carballoy structural members it had protected. Off-balance, the ’Mech toppled forward. Missiles arced skyward as it fell, a visual punctuation to the scream that echoed across the open comm frequencies. The Javelin hit the lava crust, broke through, and disappeared beneath the magma.

Hmm? Oh, just quoting this bit because the description is neat. The Vindicator is seriously overheating now, but the other Stompers break off and flee after seeing the Javelin get roasted. Fraser, madlad that he is, chases after them, desperate to score a kill. :black101:

Meanwhile, Minobu tries to save the Archer. He urges the pilot to eject, but quickly realises that the cockpit hatch has jammed due to battle damage. The clock is also ticking, because the Archer is now so hot that its LRM ammo could cook off at any moment. To make matters worse, Minobu’s Vindicator isn’t strong enough to pull the 70-ton mech free. But does Minobu give up? Of course not!

quote:

Ruby light lanced out from the 5cm Ceres Arms laser mounted alongside the Vindicator’s head. Centimeter by centimeter, the coherent light burned through the heavier ’Mech’s armor, outlining the cockpit area. Each centimeter was purchased with increased heat in Minobu’s cockpit, edging his own ’Mech closer to shutdown. Following in the path of the laser was the battlefist, exerting incredible pressure and peeling back the weakened ceramet armor. It was slow work. Every moment brought the inevitable ammo explosion closer.

When there was enough space, Minobu closed the fist around the armored compartment that held the pilot. Rocking backward, he tried to pull the cockpit from the foundered ’Mech. The attempt threatened to topple the Vindicator over the Archer and into the magma. The trapped ’Mech would not give up its warrior.

It took three more tries before the cockpit ripped free. Prize in hand, the Vindicator inched like a giant crab back away from the crack. As soon as he thought it was safe, Minobu brought his ’Mech to its feet and pounded for cover.

What a fantastically metal sequence. Ejection mechanism jammed? Cut the whole cockpit block out of the mech and carry it to safety! It’s not a moment too soon either, because half a second later the Archer’s LRMs detonate with enough force to knock Minobu’s Vindicator over. For a moment he’s seriously worried that he might have fallen on the Archer’s cockpit and crushed it, but it turns out the pilot just barely avoided getting turned into a pancake. But, um... who is the pilot anyway?

quote:

Minobu had snatched this man from death, literally taking the MechWarrior’s life into his own hands. If not for Minobu’s actions, the warrior would be dead, his future blown to the winds with his atoms. From now on, the karma the man earned, good or bad, was also Minobu’s karma. The man’s words, his deeds, even his life was now Minobu’s responsibility. Bushido demanded it.

The hatch was cleared. It opened with a groan of protesting metal, and the MechWarrior’s neurohelmet appeared. Moving slowly, he emerged, battered and with his left arm hanging limp at his side.

“Looks like I owe you one,” the pilot said, using his good hand to force his neurohelmet free from his head.

Finally, Minobu could see the other warrior’s face. The man he had saved was Colonel Jaime Wolf.

Dun-dun-duuuuun!

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
As an anime fan, I'm not 100% opposed to LAMs as a concept, but I do think that Battletech sits pretty far on the "Hard" side of the Sci-Fi scale. I mean, making walking mechs at all is a bit of a stretch but the series as a whole deals with stuff like weight, heat, the difficulty of manufacturing, and so on. Mechs are expensive and often develop little glitches and foibles unless they're factory fresh. Sometimes mechs will develop in strange ways or be designed in ways that look good on paper but fail in the field

When looking at it through that lens... yeah LAMs don't feel like they have a place in Battletech. They push the boundary just a little bit too far in the other direction.

On the other hand I once fought an Urbie LAM in the Battletech 3062 mod for HB Battletech and that was pretty rad. Aside from the part where I couldn't melee it with my Hatchetman

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LAM's seem perfect for the BT universe because it's exactly the kind of thing an arms manufacturer would market as the next big thing for a mere trillion credits of development cost only to have it fail, after which the concept gets resurrected every generation because they're convinced THIS time they can make it work. Many, many real world examples of this.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
They were just copying things from all sorts of Japanese cartoons, right? The Stinger, Wasp, Pheonix Hawk and Valkyrie were different Robotech / Macross veritech fighters, right? I might have the names wrong, it's been a while and I'm too lazy to check. So, they just went right ahead and grabbed the LAM feature from the Robotech as well, were all like, "This might be too OP," and made them a little too awful in trying to balance it.

Yes, BattleTech is a bit more on the "hard" side of Science Fiction. Like, there's no anti-grav, interstellar travel has limitations, interstellar communication is expensive and also complicated, and things break down when the industrial base that has to support it no longer exists.

I really love the setting. They put a good deal of thought into it, which is cool. It's not perfect, but at least they did a little bit of research and tried to think about why things are the way they are.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Slavvy posted:

LAM's seem perfect for the BT universe because it's exactly the kind of thing an arms manufacturer would market as the next big thing for a mere trillion credits of development cost only to have it fail, after which the concept gets resurrected every generation because they're convinced THIS time they can make it work. Many, many real world examples of this.

this is the best explanation for "LAMs are okay" i have ever heard but I still don't like them at all

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Slavvy posted:

Yeah, I think LAMs are fine because they're pretty much all terrible, a bad mech + a bad ASF combined isn't a superweapon its just bad at twice as many jobs

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The important thing is *checks sarna* Allied Aerospace got paid

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They're perfectly serviceable as an expensive hard to maintain alternative to the wild weasel

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

painedforever posted:

They were just copying things from all sorts of Japanese cartoons, right? The Stinger, Wasp, Pheonix Hawk and Valkyrie were different Robotech / Macross veritech fighters, right? I might have the names wrong, it's been a while and I'm too lazy to check. So, they just went right ahead and grabbed the LAM feature from the Robotech as well, were all like, "This might be too OP," and made them a little too awful in trying to balance it.

Yes, BattleTech is a bit more on the "hard" side of Science Fiction. Like, there's no anti-grav, interstellar travel has limitations, interstellar communication is expensive and also complicated, and things break down when the industrial base that has to support it no longer exists.

I really love the setting. They put a good deal of thought into it, which is cool. It's not perfect, but at least they did a little bit of research and tried to think about why things are the way they are.

This is basically my take on it. LAM's push things just a little too far into the soft side of sci-fi for me to take them seriously.

On the flipside, though, I have to confess that I am something of a QuadVee enjoyer. It helps that they are slightly more practical than LAMs as a concept, and don't have nearly as many construction restrictions.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
There are a few different versions of the Macross Valkyrie in Battletech, but do they have an aerospace version of the fighter mode?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

No, the only fighter that was ever unseen was the samurai, and that's based on something from Crusher Joe

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
drat. I'd really get into Aerotech if they had Valkyries or even the Gunstar from The Last Starfighter.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

All fighters which would be destroyed by the mighty Eisensturm

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
For some reason the MegaMek RNG seems to have a vendetta against left legs. Lots of armour getting stripped off left legs this turn.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

MegaMek never skips leg day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Scintilla posted:

For some reason the MegaMek RNG seems to have a vendetta against left legs. Lots of armour getting stripped off left legs this turn.

You know that could actually be a thing. Some RNG isn't quite so R depending on how it's been programmed.