Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

jelking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I wonder if there’s a state dept official whose job it is to reassure foreign govt that no the president just has dementia please disregard his statements

That sounds like a fun job.

"I'm sorry Mr. France, he didn't mean it."

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

ikanreed posted:

Only okay us president was a dictator too

you mean when a leader does good things sometimes the electorate wants them to keep leading despite political norms? no that cannot be, it is all a sham rigged vote to keep an evil tyrant in power

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

ikanreed posted:

foreign policy is the only part of government the constitution grants complete control to the president and they dont control that at all

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I think that's what this book is arguing, Generation X and the Rise of the Entertainment Subject

Generation X and the Rise of the Entertainment Subject defines Gen X as the first generation to be dominated by entertainment subjectivity. A social and psychological feedback loop is created as entertainment caters to adolescent consumers while the consumer, in turn, is shaped by the entertainment they internalize. While the paradigmatic latchkey young adults are immersed in media consumption, they see the world through the lens of popular culture products that seek to capitalize on the free time and disposable income of the unoccupied viewer. This book argues that Gen X entertainment subjectivity lays the foundations for contemporary society where handheld devices and other technologies detach their users from the world around them.

Though this book, Ode to Gen X: Institutional Cynicism in Stranger Things and 1980s Film seems to agree that they're equally media poisoned, but draws the opposite conclusions.

Even for the casual viewer, the Netflix series Stranger Things will likely feel familiar, reminiscent of popular 1980s coming-of-age movies such as The Goonies, E. T. the Extra-Terrestrial, and Stand by Me. Throughout the series, nods to each movie are abundant. While Stranger Things and these classic 1980s films are all tales of childhood friendship and shared adventures, they are also narratives that reflect and shape the burgeoning cynicism of the 1980s.

In Ode to Gen X: Institutional Cynicism in "Stranger Things" and 1980s Film, author Melissa Vosen Callens explores the parallels between iconic films featuring children and teenagers and the first three seasons of Stranger Things, a series about a group of young friends set in 1980s Indiana. The text moves beyond the (at times) non-sequitur 1980s Easter eggs to a common underlying narrative: Generation X’s growing distrust in American institutions.

Despite Gen X’s cynicism toward both informal and formal institutions, viewers also see a more positive characteristic of Gen X in these films and series: Gen X’s fierce independence and ability to rebuild and redefine the family unit despite continued economic hardships. Vosen Callens demonstrates how Stranger Things draws on popular 1980s popular culture to pay tribute to Gen X’s evolving outlook on three key and interwoven American institutions: family, economy, and government.

ehhh i think its a bit of a stretch to say this only started with gen x cowboys and spacemen were such well established tropes for the boomers one of the most significant pop culture franchises of our own childhoods is literally about toys based on those archetypes fighting each other for the attention of a child

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

this is just like when the nazis put a jewish guy in charge of the panzers

Ukraine thread is thataway buddy

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

personally I find the red army and the wehrmacht to be somewhat different

(not a dig at Neurolimal tho)

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Some Guy TT posted:

ehhh i think its a bit of a stretch to say this only started with gen x cowboys and spacemen were such well established tropes for the boomers one of the most significant pop culture franchises of our own childhoods is literally about toys based on those archetypes fighting each other for the attention of a child

Probably, but the cowboys and spacemen toys of the 50s and 60s were at least representations of real people, or roles for children to aspire to. Congress stepped in and decided that cartoons shouldn't be literal representations of toys, and so Saturday morning cartoons sucked for the next couple decades until Reagan allowed them to be glorious 30-minute toy commercials once again.

Then we had films like the Brave Little Toaster and the Toy Story franchise to reinforce the concept of forming parasocial bonds with inanimate objects, a phenomenon which doctors previously only observed among people living in extreme isolation. They're not just disposable distractions, they have their own quiet feelings and even if they don't actual reciprocate your love for them, they're at least consistent and could dependably remain exactly how you left them, unlike people in this chaotic world.

Creating a feedback loop where a focus on toys stunt our social development and ability to form meaningful relationships. Which companies have kind of encouraged as a substitute, even into adulthood. Look just buy your kids stuff if you don't want to spend time with them.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I wonder if there’s a state dept official whose job it is to reassure foreign govt that no the president just has dementia please disregard his statements

couldnt you just release that audio though, like if Xi dropped a tape where Blinken is like, 'hey sorry about the president man we dont even let him into the real briefings anymore even since hes so far gone, hes just talking for the cameras at home' i think that would be probably pretty bad for the us

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's a pleasing symmetry in how the American leadership is unable to imagine other countries as having agency and thus is never able to communicate constructively, and the way Chinese leadership is unable to imagine the US being run by literal morons and maniacs and thus there is no method of communication that will ever work. It's like they keep giving them the benefit of the doubt because they're convinced there must be some kind of reasoning governing US actions, it's not possible for them to be as stupid and inept as they seem

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Slavvy posted:

There's a pleasing symmetry in how the American leadership is unable to imagine other countries as having agency and thus is never able to communicate constructively, and the way Chinese leadership is unable to imagine the US being run by literal morons and maniacs and thus there is no method of communication that will ever work. It's like they keep giving them the benefit of the doubt because they're convinced there must be some kind of reasoning governing US actions, it's not possible for them to be as stupid and inept as they seem

oh I think the cpc leadership knows exactly what they’re dealing with

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im the two or three ducks that remembered they can swim and just cross the water instead of using the crowded land bridge

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

I think that's what this book is arguing, Generation X and the Rise of the Entertainment Subject

Generation X and the Rise of the Entertainment Subject defines Gen X as the first generation to be dominated by entertainment subjectivity. A social and psychological feedback loop is created as entertainment caters to adolescent consumers while the consumer, in turn, is shaped by the entertainment they internalize. While the paradigmatic latchkey young adults are immersed in media consumption, they see the world through the lens of popular culture products that seek to capitalize on the free time and disposable income of the unoccupied viewer. This book argues that Gen X entertainment subjectivity lays the foundations for contemporary society where handheld devices and other technologies detach their users from the world around them.

Though this book, Ode to Gen X: Institutional Cynicism in Stranger Things and 1980s Film seems to agree that they're equally media poisoned, but draws the opposite conclusions.

Even for the casual viewer, the Netflix series Stranger Things will likely feel familiar, reminiscent of popular 1980s coming-of-age movies such as The Goonies, E. T. the Extra-Terrestrial, and Stand by Me. Throughout the series, nods to each movie are abundant. While Stranger Things and these classic 1980s films are all tales of childhood friendship and shared adventures, they are also narratives that reflect and shape the burgeoning cynicism of the 1980s.

In Ode to Gen X: Institutional Cynicism in "Stranger Things" and 1980s Film, author Melissa Vosen Callens explores the parallels between iconic films featuring children and teenagers and the first three seasons of Stranger Things, a series about a group of young friends set in 1980s Indiana. The text moves beyond the (at times) non-sequitur 1980s Easter eggs to a common underlying narrative: Generation X’s growing distrust in American institutions.

Despite Gen X’s cynicism toward both informal and formal institutions, viewers also see a more positive characteristic of Gen X in these films and series: Gen X’s fierce independence and ability to rebuild and redefine the family unit despite continued economic hardships. Vosen Callens demonstrates how Stranger Things draws on popular 1980s popular culture to pay tribute to Gen X’s evolving outlook on three key and interwoven American institutions: family, economy, and government.

I think the last movie we had where the US military were the villains was James Cameron's lunatic Navy Seals in The Abyss. And he only gets to continue that trend with the Avatar movies because he is a singular talent.

All other filmmakers have been completely co-opted. You can't make a movie now where cops or troops are anything but good.

The Stranger Things hacks reflect this because they didn't change anything. They don't have the balls or the skills to deconstruct their source material, so it's just slavish imitation.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Last I heard the Biden regime is basically high school cliques with the Obama people and the Clinton people who hate each other.

I read Little Ameirca: The War within the War for Afghanistan and that was and thats exactly how it came off. Like there was one guy in the Clinton camp that seemed to somehow actually have some good ideas, but he was a bit of an rear end in a top hat so no one ever listned to him. I remember being very distressed reading it like over a decade ago now and realizing theres no eacaping high school clique bullshit

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Slavvy posted:

the us is a nutjob with his finger on the trigger, deescalation is the right thing to do

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the senate must approve treaties and ambassadors but other wise the president does have a lot of unilateral power in theory. trump did not seem to tho

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Last I heard the Biden regime is basically high school cliques with the Obama people and the Clinton people who hate each other.

so like veep then

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

ikanreed posted:

lincoln and fdr were. maybe washington

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

if you say 'oh no a dictator is when a political party installs a personality through non democratic means, not when a personality legally wields immense power'

ok bush and trump. republican gerrymandering, voter ID, lawsuits, supreme court appointed by the guy's dad judging in favor of the state run by his brother, and so on.

you can't define dictator without grabbing a few presidents unless you use racism

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

All the comments I'm seeing are in support of the police. I wonder what the reaction would have been if T Square had happened now with videos instantly up on YouTube. How much do we know of the domestic Chinese reactions at the time?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

je1 healthcare posted:

Brave Little Toaster

This was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

I can't remember much about it, though. I remember a scene where sapient appliances are being crushed and thinking it was really disturbing.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UfsEj7AOGI jesus christ lol, it's even more hosed up that I remembered

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

I think the last movie we had where the US military were the villains was James Cameron's lunatic Navy Seals in The Abyss. And he only gets to continue that trend with the Avatar movies because he is a singular talent.

All other filmmakers have been completely co-opted. You can't make a movie now where cops or troops are anything but good.

The Stranger Things hacks reflect this because they didn't change anything. They don't have the balls or the skills to deconstruct their source material, so it's just slavish imitation.

it’s really cool how all the network tv sitcom guys from a decade ago all play operators now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

dictator is just a slur liberals use for governments they don’t like

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

dictator is just a slur liberals use for governments they don’t like

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KenRoth/status/1671582963396485142

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
who made the complaint

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
This forced labor narrative is the dumbest loving poo poo. There is no proof whatsoever and makes no economic sense for China to do anything like that. There is more proof of child labor and convict labor in the US.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

je1 healthcare posted:

Probably, but the cowboys and spacemen toys of the 50s and 60s were at least representations of real people, or roles for children to aspire to. Congress stepped in and decided that cartoons shouldn't be literal representations of toys, and so Saturday morning cartoons sucked for the next couple decades until Reagan allowed them to be glorious 30-minute toy commercials once again.

Then we had films like the Brave Little Toaster and the Toy Story franchise to reinforce the concept of forming parasocial bonds with inanimate objects, a phenomenon which doctors previously only observed among people living in extreme isolation. They're not just disposable distractions, they have their own quiet feelings and even if they don't actual reciprocate your love for them, they're at least consistent and could dependably remain exactly how you left them, unlike people in this chaotic world.

Creating a feedback loop where a focus on toys stunt our social development and ability to form meaningful relationships. Which companies have kind of encouraged as a substitute, even into adulthood. Look just buy your kids stuff if you don't want to spend time with them.

this is a subtle distinction between chinese media and american media i dont think is appreciated often enough is the extent to which their movies and tv shows present plausibly real people even in more scifi kinds of settings

the trailer for netflix three body really put this into stark perspective because theyre clearly toning down the hard science stuff for superhero bullshit and thats just like a hell of a metaphor for how either of these countries do anything these days

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

slave to my cravings posted:

who made the complaint

america

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/michaelxpettis/status/1671515802787278848
https://twitter.com/michaelxpettis/status/1671515807447228416

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
china has mass youth unemployment and is busy getting jobs for all the uyghurs instead. german automaker sales are crashing because of chinese evs, but what they should really be worried about is the crash falling from the moral high ground if they are proven to use 10% xj cotton in the seat covers. they need for these cars to be very ethical so that someone buying a new gas car in 2024 to drive using whatever fuel source europeans are buying doesn’t have to make an unethical purchase. this all makes perfect sense and proves that (???)

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

michael penis

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/kaushikrj6/status/1671577321529294848

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

yellowcar posted:

michael penis

this is gay actor michael penis

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

yellowcar posted:

michael penis

He's named after his dad's penis.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

love that guy cause he's always wrong

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Orgetorix/status/1671604457841328128

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

This was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

I can't remember much about it, though. I remember a scene where sapient appliances are being crushed and thinking it was really disturbing.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UfsEj7AOGI jesus christ lol, it's even more hosed up that I remembered

the air conditioner getting so mad it dies scared the hell out of me.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/AlternatNews/status/1671427144566677504

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

crypto ftw