Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
"We're disrupting the industry by ignoring safety standards that BIG GUBBERMINT puts upon us! Caveat Emptor!"

"Also if the GOVERNMENT doesn't step in to fix our mess, we'll let you all know how bad they suck!"

Jesus, you couldn't get more libertarian than that. Nothing short of filling Ron Paul's big dumb airship of contractually-purchased child slaves comes close to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

.. -. / .... .. ... / .... --- ..- ... . / .- - / .-. .-..-. .-.. -.-- . .... / -.. . .- -.. / -.-. - .... ..- .-.. .... ..- / .-- .- .. - ... / ... .... .. - - .. -. --.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Klyith posted:

Great Bahama Canyon is up to 4000 meters, Titanic is 3700m.

Technically that's the canyon surrounding the Bahamas, not in the Bahama islands proper, but that's a dumb semantics distinction.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Pekinduck posted:

500 new replies, where's Chinatown when you need him.

he's gone

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nuggan posted:

Isn't the "sitting Indian style" thing about the actual country of India, as in the Lotus Position/Half-Lotus/Sukhasana in Yoga? And just the general cross legged style of sitting when meditating? Thats how I learned it in Kindergarten. Where did this thing about "Indian style" being racist about Native Americans come in?
It's such a ubiquitous way of sitting with ubiquitous use of the term no one is sure which version was coined first. But considering it came from the Americas in the early to mid 20th century and most people lean toward it being native American inspired.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Couldn't they just have attached a rope onto the sub in case something like this happens. Like rope at that length and strength propably exists right

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

wtf just call it "sit like a pretzel"

this doesnt need to be a fuckin thing

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

zedprime posted:

It's such a ubiquitous way of sitting with ubiquitous use of the term no one is sure which version was coined first. But considering it came from the Americas in the early to mid 20th century and most people lean toward it being native American inspired.

I definitely assumed it was a racial thing on natives. I didn't think of it much growing up but when some teachers said, "crisscross applesauce" instead you kinda figure it out as you get older.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
When I was in school (Class of 2000, woo!), like grade school, it was always "Indian-style."

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/_health_/status/1671378244598112257?s=46&t=8eGAks3mGgDHUb4Mz4yNSw

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

how many times can we uniquely post and quote the saddam picture I wonder.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Nuggan posted:

Isn't the "sitting Indian style" thing about the actual country of India, as in the Lotus Position/Half-Lotus/Sukhasana in Yoga? And just the general cross legged style of sitting when meditating? Thats how I learned it in Kindergarten. Where did this thing about "Indian style" being racist about Native Americans come in?

Yeah that's not at all how it was taught to my elementary classes, I don't think they even once mentioned India and so any time "Indian" was used to describe something or someone, it referred entirely to indigenous Americans, usually as a vague monolith that appeared only in sanitized Thanksgiving stories or in Disney movies.

We did mostly use criss-cross applesauce to describe the sitting position so that was good. Unfortunately that good was quickly undone when us kids learned what an "Indian burn" was and immediately inflicted it on each other.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SyNack Sassimov posted:

This is like the 10th time I've seen this phrase in the last few days (across threads but mostly referring to how people sit in the sub) and it rankles me in a way I can't define. Is this some loving regionalism where kids from x area of the country all learned it like this? It just comes across as childish language and is very jarring when reading a post clearly written by an adult. Why would you not use "cross-legged"?

I'm not saying this dislike is rational or anything but presumed-adults using this phrase is just really weird to me since there's a defined (shorter) term for it that doesn't rely on silly rhymes for children.

The "indian style" defender has logged on

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
It's a miracle they didn't say "Injun-style"

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

"Go fast and break things" works fine until you break something 4000m below sea level.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Plan R posted:

It's a miracle they didn't say "Injun-style"

Okay kids, today we're sitting savage-style.
oh no

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Please save the guy who signs my paychecks because payday is Friday. cc: Joe Biden

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Stopping by the laugh at dead morons thread to angrily post about criss cross applesauce

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

B-Rock452 posted:

Stopping by the laugh at dead morons thread to angrily post about criss cross applesauce

Honestly it's the catchiest way to say it and nobody can change my mind.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Grey Cat posted:

how many times can we uniquely post and quote the saddam picture I wonder.

At least until we get one where he's under the toilet.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wheatpuppy posted:

So is that "I acknowledge this is so dangerous that when I inevitably die my heirs can't sue you" contract actually enforceable?

Probably not.

That kind of waver only works if the person having you sign it hasn't engaged in reckless behavior. So, for example, if I sold you a car modified to go fast with nitro and had you sign a waver that you knew the risks of suddenly going faster, that would probably work. But it might not if the modification was drunkenly welding two solid rocket boosters to the roof. You can have people wave some liability but it doesn't shield you from everything.

This is going to get hashed out in court and given the CEO's public statements and Oceangate's behavior, they're going to get destroyed.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

zedprime posted:

I would add that I don't think any of the morons telling child-me to sit in that way knew anything about India

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Son of Rodney posted:

Couldn't they just have attached a rope onto the sub in case something like this happens. Like rope at that length and strength propably exists right

Supposedly it would have been legitimately impractical (and not in a libertarian cost-cutting safety regulations sense) for the accompanying boat to be carrying a steel cable and winch setup long and strong enough to reach those depths

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I genuinely hope everyone onboard gets out alive.

Mainly because I want these hyper privileged fucks to remember the one time they went through literal hell, thinking that the world would probably react the same way when kids down a mine are rescued just to find out everyone has been dunking on them and laughing at their likely demise. While their kid went to a Blink-182 concert.

Speaking of!

His pinned tweet from May

https://twitter.com/audioguy182/status/1656517533472792576

Her posts today

https://twitter.com/craymusic/status/1671535581556527104

I bet stepdad wished he brought the kid along now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Why don't they just drink their way out

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You're admiring the glowy sea life out the poophole porthole and you turn around and this weirdo has his shirt off and you're trapped under 4000 meters of ocean with him.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Real hurthling! posted:

The "indian style" defender has logged on

The Post You Quoted literally posted:

Why would you not use "cross-legged"?

We got a strong reader here folks, just turns the dial all the way up on reading comprehension.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 21, 2023

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Grey Cat posted:

Okay kids, today we're sitting savage-style.
oh no

Now children, we don't do that sort of thing. Especially not before the cake walk!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

That waiver would actually be totally enforceable as I understand it so long as the reckless behavior wasn’t intentional/malicious. But there is an exception in most courts that these contracts aren’t enforceable in cases of ‘ultra hazardous activity’ like say going to the bottom of the ocean in a tin can powered by a game genie

Company definitely ain’t insured and the ceo is shrimp poo poo by now so gl gettin money tho

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/rogueprintco/status/1671582834815901719?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Please be kind to the sons of billionaires, despite appearing as large adult sons, they are but innocent wee tots, untouched by the corruption of sin.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Real Mean Queen posted:

I would add that I don't think any of the morons telling child-me to sit in that way knew anything about India

I think it was more about being economical. You can't have those drat kids sitting any which way. This way they're well-ordered and won't think too much.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The world is healing

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

the Titan is hanging out on an island with the Malaysian airplane

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That DICK! posted:

That waiver would actually be totally enforceable as I understand it so long as the reckless behavior wasn’t intentional/malicious. But there is an exception in most courts that these contracts aren’t enforceable in cases of ‘ultra hazardous activity’ like say going to the bottom of the ocean in a tin can powered by a game genie

Company definitely ain’t insured and the ceo is shrimp poo poo by now so gl gettin money tho

Wait, does this thread have gold fringe on it? Because we definitely need to break out some maritime law!

It'll be way more interesting than talking about how to describe sitting.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hamish Harding is looking more like Hashed Softing these days, iykwim

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Shinjobi posted:

no idiot, drink up!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

I'm curious why SEA PATROL has been so quiet through all this. They have the technology to make this a quick rescue.......or recover the human goo, depending on which is needed.

Just hire Mega Maid.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 21, 2023

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

My memorial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shinjobi posted:

Look they only have so much space in the cabin to piss in. They'd all of drowned in piss by the time they'd drunk even half the water above the sub.