Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Grabbed Pearl Jam and The Who, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Happy Hippo posted:

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here but does colored vinyl sound worse than black?

I typed a whole long thing but the window closed. Anyway, this is something of a myth. The reason that colored pressings have this reputation is that quality control on those seems to be worse. I don't know exactly why but I have guesses. I tend to avoid them if possible but I have plenty of wacky colored discs that sound fine. I have some that are not so hot but quality control on new LPs has been all over the place the last several years so it is what it is. A lot of hyper-nerds and audiophile lunatics will rant and/or rave about which pressing plants such and which don't. Fancypants reissues and such will use RTI and Pallas. In my experience these live up to the hype. A lot of run of the mill releases will used United Record Pressing or CZ Media. They're not great but they're not as terrible as people say. I do have some mediocre pressings from both but plenty that are fine. It's kind of a crap shoot. Third Man used United for many years before they opened their own plant. Having owned a lot of that material I can confirm that United is pretty subpar but not always awful.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Just to be clear this was the record I was referring to that looked all cool going spinny, it is a picture disc

haljordan posted:

Deafheaven 4 life

Not sure why coloured vinyl came into the discussion but i got no beef with it myself, wild colours own! They own!!

As for picture discs, I avoid them, I do have one, a Disney Fox and the Hound disc contemporary to the film's release that I inherited from my older sister. Sentimental value.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I will opt for colored when I get the option the rest of you nerds can have the black ones

pwn
May 27, 2004

I will say this for picture discs: They beat lathe cuts by a mile. Those things are only good as a thing to collect. Kinda hate how much stuff Mike Dixon puts out only on lathe. I get it, with the production lead time and costs of doing proper pressings these days, lathe cuts are kinda analogous to compact cassettes in terms of ease of production and low cost being democratizing, but they also sound worse than compact cassettes* sometimes.

Lathe cutting can be done reasonably well, but they can also be done absolutely terribly, and that's in the hands of an experienced lathe cutter (a lather?) like Mike Dixon. It's real hit-and-miss. Or more accurately, softly-landing-near-the-edge-of-the-target-and-miss.

I have almost a dozen of them

*compact cassettes CAN sound great, if they're type III with Dolby NR on a good deck. As there's only one deck manufacturer nowadays and they make crappy mechanisms, Dolby doesn't license their NR anymore, and type I is the only type still being made... yeah.

pwn fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 20, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

Anyone who spent any time in a Hot Topic in the 2000s saw this dozens of times

This was going to end there but i just saw the prices this dumb ugly thing is going for and now i'm sad. They couldn't give these loving things away.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have a bunch of colored vinyl because of the amount of game and anime soundtracks I have and none of them have sounded worse than any of my other stuff, but my Gojira and Final Fantasy 9 picture vinyl do seem to have a lower quality while playing IME compared to everything else I have. Honestly the worse album I’ve bought quality wise so far is the anniversary release of the self titled RATM album, has a very noticeable skip on Bullet in the Head and I’ve read a lot of people have way worse quality issues on it.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I don’t hate picture discs but I do hate when poo poo gets re-released and it’s only done on picture disc.

Bloodflowers :argh:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Boinks posted:

Grabbed Pearl Jam and The Who, thanks.

They just restocked the Flaming Pie 3LP if anyone wanted that.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Barry posted:

I am ride or die for Jenny Lewis and I've admittedly only listened to it once but this album doesn't really do it for me.

That's too bad! I am loving it. Cherry Baby is my jam.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah I'm going to give it another few listens, I'm sure it's actually good.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Schremp Howard posted:

https://thesoundofvinyl.us/collections/all?q=&hPP=30&idx=official_products_price_asc&p=0&is_v=1

Don’t know if this will actually ship or not but there’s a few dozen records here priced at $0.00. I just had to pay the shipping cost of $8.00 and got order confirmations. The kicker is I had to order things one at a time, but at $8 each there’s still some amazing deals.
Just checked back in on this to see if anything had been restocked since yesterday afternoon and it seems the gravy train is over.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
New Aphex Twin!
https://aphextwin.bandcamp.com/album/blackbox-life-recorder-21f-in-a-room7-f760

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Just bought this because I'm stupid and hate money

https://shop.brooklynvegan.com/collections/dethklok/products/dethklok-x-revolver-lp-collectors-box-set

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

... this is very tempting.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I'm so so tempted but it's $200 and :negative:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Made some orders, got 1 so far

Armor For Sleep - What To Do When You Are Dead showed up the other day
Alkaline Trio - Good Mourning is on it's way, it's the Vagrant Records 25th anniversary pressing
The Postal Service - Everything Will Change, just announced live album from their 2013 reunion show, doesn't ship til September

and I just got notice that my copy of Thrice's The Artist In The Ambulance 20th Anniversary Re-visited finally shipped. According to Reddit, it got delayed because the lyrics paper had an accidental backwards print job, whoops.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Goddamn, that's the one to get because those first two records only ever got pressed on picture discs.

I hope they reissue the first record because of this though. That's really the only record I have any affinity for that I'd like to own on vinyl.

As far as colored discs go it's the same as black vinyl. it all comes down to manufacturing QC and the manufacturer. I definitely have black vinyl that sounded great over the colored counterpart and the other way around. Dunno its vinyl. its a crapshoot.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

dorium posted:

I hope they reissue the first record because of this though. That's really the only record I have any affinity for that I'd like to own on vinyl.

You can buy them individually as well! I'm tempted to get this one, as it's the only one I'm familiar with.
https://shop.brooklynvegan.com/prod...9b8ab9325&_ss=r

(Apologies if I misunderstood what you were asking.)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Read After Burning posted:

You can buy them individually as well! I'm tempted to get this one, as it's the only one I'm familiar with.
https://shop.brooklynvegan.com/prod...9b8ab9325&_ss=r

(Apologies if I misunderstood what you were asking.)

JESUS, $66 american DOLLARS?!

what.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

In case y'all aren't familiar, this is a really, really good album.
https://durandjonesandtheindications.bandcamp.com/album/private-space

dorium posted:

what.

Yeah, at that point it may just be cheaper to get the whole set. :stare:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

dorium posted:

what.

*Nathan Explosion voice*
Brutal.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

dorium posted:

what.

Yeah I ended up buying the box set because I wanted 1-3, but didn't want three copies of the same magazine. And well, I'm sure Dethalbum 4 will be good too.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

dorium posted:

what.

You can pay in four interest-free installments of $16.50 if you use ShopPay!

just :lol: at the idea of financing $66 though.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CornHolio posted:

You can pay in four interest-free installments of $16.50 if you use ShopPay!

just :lol: at the idea of financing $66 though.

I ended up going with the installment plan for the box set. It's still $200 got drat dollars, but breaking it into payments was a good deal, especially since I already use Shop for a bunch of other online stores.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I absolutely paid off a $42 Panda Bear and Sonic Boom ticket in Pay in Four and I will not apologize.

...'cause I'm poor, you see

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Been out of the hot stamper game for a minute now due to being broke as well. But I got to visit Third Man in Nashville on vacation and got some stuff. Fun fact, there’s a secret entrance to the building that you can only enter if you press my doorbell backwards under a specific lunar phase while standing on grooved pavement. Anyway here’s what my sweetheart got me.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
https://www.fangamer.com/products/celeste-complete-vinyl-soundtrack-box-set

The Celeste soundtrack is back in stock, in case you needed to spend more money today

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really love Dethklok but I don't think I can justify 200 bucks for 4 albums, especially since I really just want the first two... I have the Celeste box set along with Paradise Killer and Chicory's soundtracks on the way from Ship to Shore, can't wait to listen to them. I got Louis Cole's new album in today and I think it's pretty great, don't think there's a song I dislike on it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Mr E posted:

Paradise Killer

You did it, you said the code-phrase that activates me like a drat sleeper agent. gently caress I love that game (as in I barge into the conversation any time it's brought up...like right now!), and the OST is such a huge part of it. :allears:

It was also my first vinyl, coincidentally enough. :kiddo:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Where's the Home Movies vinyl, Brendon? :argh:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Coach McGuirk buying swords but they're records instead

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Heath posted:

Coach McGuirk buying swords but they're records instead

Walks into the room all

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Complete Sifl and Olly songs when?

Mr E posted:

I really love Dethklok but I don't think I can justify 200 bucks for 4 albums, especially since I really just want the first two... I have the Celeste box set along with Paradise Killer and Chicory's soundtracks on the way from Ship to Shore, can't wait to listen to them. I got Louis Cole's new album in today and I think it's pretty great, don't think there's a song I dislike on it.

I'm glad to see some love for Louis Cole on here. I have his previous record but I've yet to get the new one.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Been out of the hot stamper game for a minute now due to being broke as well. But I got to visit Third Man in Nashville on vacation and got some stuff. Fun fact, there’s a secret entrance to the building that you can only enter if you press my doorbell backwards under a specific lunar phase while standing on grooved pavement. Anyway here’s what my sweetheart got me.

I'm certain that store was designed by a thousand focus groups and consultants to specifically dislodge as much money as possible from the wallets of dorks like you and I but god damnit, I don't care. I was there over the summer and picked up JFE's Wolf Songs for Lambs and a few 45s.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

Schremp Howard posted:

https://thesoundofvinyl.us/collections/all?q=&hPP=30&idx=official_products_price_asc&p=0&is_v=1

Don’t know if this will actually ship or not but there’s a few dozen records here priced at $0.00. I just had to pay the shipping cost of $8.00 and got order confirmations. The kicker is I had to order things one at a time, but at $8 each there’s still some amazing deals.

Nice find, I got Bob Marley and Joe Pass. I want more but I am restraining myself. Thanks!

Also I still have my Garth boxset and after finding out he is decidedly not a chud, instead of trying to just get rid of it as a gag gift I'm going to listen to each set and try to hear the subtle differences in the recordings.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drat, that site doesn't ship to Canada. :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Good as hell mail day:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Big order from Ship to Shore that I was waiting on the Celeste boxset to release for shipping to happen came in earlier than I expected. Can't wait to give all of these a listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I treated myself to the 2023 Mobile Fidelity pressing of 'Round About Midnight by Miles Davis.

It arrived today and It is very good.