Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whostolemyhat
Jan 15, 2014

£60m for Havertz? Especially when Chelsea want to get rid of him, and they apparently need to sell a lot of players? :dafuq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
There better be a "let slip the dogs of war" reference in the signing announcement

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Havertz and Ødegaard sounds like just about the least balanced midfield in PL history

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

whostolemyhat posted:

£60m for Havertz? Especially when Chelsea want to get rid of him, and they apparently need to sell a lot of players? :dafuq:

I don't get it either but then I thought ben white and ramsdale were mental signings so I'm prepared to give arteta/edu the benefit of the doubt.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Seems like Tonali for Newcastle is serious? Could be due to AC Milan firing Maldnini after the season but Tonali seemed like a guy who would play at Milan all his life the way he talked about it.

Maybe Tonali is a bit like Robbie Keane and he has more than one boyhood club?

Ulio fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 21, 2023

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Gundo to Barca on a three year deal, which annoys me because we'll miss his end of season form but also have to fit a new player into our follow song

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
ac milan love 70m more than they like tonali i guess

anyway this would loving rule

https://twitter.com/RudyGaletti/status/1671547590381387783

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ulio posted:

Seems like Tonali for Newcastle is serious? Could be due to AC Milan firing Maldnini after the season but Tonali seemed like a guy who would play at Milan all his life the way he talked about it.

Maybe Tonali is a bit like Robbie Keane and he has more than one boyhood club?

I bet the wages Newcastle are offering players would make a Januzaj blush

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
It’s supposedly twice what he’s making at Milan. I’m real disappointed with this.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
serie a watchers tell me how many clangers this guy is gonna make compared to lloris. before spurs make him even worse that is

https://twitter.com/SkySportsLyall/status/1671603886522523663?s=20

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Nuclear Spoon posted:

serie a watchers tell me how many clangers this guy is gonna make compared to lloris. before spurs make him even worse that is

he owns

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

This, he’s quite good.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Nooooooo lloris just needs more time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is tonali good? Don't think I've seen him play

whostolemyhat
Jan 15, 2014

Apparently Newcastle want Reuben Neves on a two year loan from the Saudi club who've just signed him for £47m.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, I'm sure the other clubs will be fine with it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1671823035857350660

rut-roh

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Ah well, rice to arsenal was a fun idea whilst it lasted

This is a good example why city have a lower net spend than you'd expect, they literally never have to compromise when filling a position and so rarely need to buy twice.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
So we have a lower net spend because we spend less overall by buying the one player we really want instead of two we half want, OP?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

City have players other teams want to sign which is why they have lower net spend

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

City can outbid everybody for their first choice players and pay them enough to be happy in the squad rotation. Other teams have to make do with their second or third choice signings in positions they need and then have to deal with players agitating for a move when they're not starting every week so they have to replace players more often.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Did we or did we not sell three of our first team players (in Jesus, Zinchenko and Cancelo) last season because they weren't happy, while only replacing them with two (Haaland and Gomez)? Our first team squad is actually much smaller than people think, especially in defence.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Butterfly Valley posted:

Did we or did we not sell three of our first team players (in Jesus, Zinchenko and Cancelo) last season because they weren't happy, while only replacing them with two (Haaland and Gomez)? Our first team squad is actually much smaller than people think, especially in defence.

Julian Alvarez only became part of the squad this last season, and Rico Lewis was promoted which displaced Cancelo. Akanji was brought in which allowed Ake to become first choice left back, and Kalvin Phillips was also there.

To be fair you did also somehow forget Raheem Sterling and Fernandinho.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

think of poor city, only bought one erling haaland

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

pik_d posted:

Julian Alvarez only became part of the squad this last season, and Rico Lewis was promoted which displaced Cancelo. Akanji was brought in which allowed Ake to become first choice left back, and Kalvin Phillips was also there.

To be fair you did also somehow forget Raheem Sterling and Fernandinho.

shouldn't rush out a post while I'm a minute late for a meeting

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Typical Arsenal. Does show naivety when they must know there was a good chance more wealthy clubs, especially City were likely to be interested in Rice and yet as always we submitted a bid well below asking price and take the piss upping it bit by bit. Only real chance we have of getting Rice now is if he is adamant he wants to stay in London.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Just Chamber posted:

Typical Arsenal. Does show naivety when they must know there was a good chance more wealthy clubs, especially City were likely to be interested in Rice and yet as always we submitted a bid well below asking price and take the piss upping it bit by bit. Only real chance we have of getting Rice now is if he is adamant he wants to stay in London.

Regardless of how much he wants to stay in London, when he sees how much his dad has been offered to be the football ambassador for the Abu Dhabi alpine skiing association he'll probably change his mind.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Jose posted:

Is tonali good? Don't think I've seen him play

He's a good link between the defense and the offense in midfield. At Milan he's partnered with Bennacer, who is more of the playmaker, so Tonali is left to do the dirty work. He's an excellent tackler and good at recovery in general. Going forward he's not going to be making insane long passes but he positions himself to make or finish offensive moves - he's go the second most assists on the team this season. He's physical and he's safe on the ball most of the time.

In short he's quite good. Is he 80 million Euros good, probably not, but when dealing with infinite money I guess it doesn't matter.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

He's a good link between the defense and the offense in midfield. At Milan he's partnered with Bennacer, who is more of the playmaker, so Tonali is left to do the dirty work. He's an excellent tackler and good at recovery in general. Going forward he's not going to be making insane long passes but he positions himself to make or finish offensive moves - he's go the second most assists on the team this season. He's physical and he's safe on the ball most of the time.

In short he's quite good. Is he 80 million Euros good, probably not, but when dealing with infinite money I guess it doesn't matter.

I would say he is similar to Declan Rice. If they play Joelinton/Wilock- Guimares-Tonali. Tonali most likely will replace Longstaff.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

This is a good example why city have a lower net spend than you'd expect, they literally never have to compromise when filling a position and so rarely need to buy twice.
this is funny to read considering Pep's first few years were all about signing a couple defenders for about £50m each every year, getting upset at them at some point*, and then repeat until the defence finally works. Took him half a decade and nearly half a billion quid, but he figured it out in the end.

edit: * except Kyle Walker, who as far as I can recall has just been a good boy from day one

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 22, 2023

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Manchester City still don't have a true left back

whostolemyhat
Jan 15, 2014

Just Chamber posted:

Isn't it only City that are wealthier than Arsenal? Arsenal are one of the richest clubs in the world, and there are very few other clubs which will just rock up and go "here's £100m over 2 years" because they don't need to worry about budgeting at all.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

an_mutt posted:

edit: * except Kyle Walker, who as far as I can recall has just been a good boy from day one
Except during lockdown.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
arsenal should go for amrabat and use the money saved on a proper number 9

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
amrabat is going to atleti it looks like

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
magical thinking to assume they could pull amrabat out of their hat

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

whostolemyhat posted:

Isn't it only City that are wealthier than Arsenal? Arsenal are one of the richest clubs in the world, and there are very few other clubs which will just rock up and go "here's £100m over 2 years" because they don't need to worry about budgeting at all.

I’m pretty sure that United and Liverpool have basically always consistently outperformed Arsenal financially.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i don't see how even if arsenal put in a "gently caress negotiations, just give west ham everything they want" offer, that would stop City from going in for Rice as well

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Regardless of how much he wants to stay in London, when he sees how much his dad has been offered to be the football ambassador for the Abu Dhabi alpine skiing association he'll probably change his mind.

his dad is his agent and his brother are his commercial deal managers so lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Xabi posted:

Except during lockdown.

this is why Solano is the GOAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

UnderFreddy posted:

i don't see how even if arsenal put in a "gently caress negotiations, just give west ham everything they want" offer, that would stop City from going in for Rice as well

Yeah the idea that there's a number that would stop the selling club going "ok cool let's ask around and see who wants to beat that" is far fetched