Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OsteoMcB
Mar 19, 2023

Nothing on TVs, but Youtube itself has gotten shittier and shittier the last ten years from the changes in UI that makes things harder to find to the un-loving-godly amount of ads on their videos and homepage.

Also inflation, it's a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

it’s insane that I can click on a two second video and get a 30 second ad

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

OsteoMcB posted:

Nothing on TVs, but Youtube itself has gotten shittier and shittier the last ten years from the changes in UI that makes things harder to find to the un-loving-godly amount of ads on their videos and homepage.

Also inflation, it's a bitch.

Ted Kac-however-the-gently caress-you-spell-his-name-I'm-not-gonna-google it was right!

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
how the hell are people not using adblock I forget youtube videos even had ads because I havent seen any in years

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, AdBlock still works on YouTube, use it ffs if you value your time

Sadly it doesn't work on horrible in-video "promotions"

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

There is actually an addon for this as well: SponsorBlock.

It's just an addon where users can flag chunks of a video as 'sponsored' and it automatically skips them. As such, the usefulness of it will scale with the popularity of a channel, but it catches quite a lot in my experience.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

steinrokkan posted:

There's the SponsorBlock extension to deal with that, and the YouTube app I use on my Android TV, STN Beta, has it built-in. Pretty handy.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

CJacobs posted:

A mcchicken, a small fry, and a drink at mcdonalds is 8 dollars now. Why do they think any meal on their menu is worth 8 dollars, let alone one that comes with a child size fries order.

In the future this historic tweet will be in a museum with a plaque explaining that once upon a time McChickens were inexpensive peasant food.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

There is actually an addon for this as well: SponsorBlock.

It's just an addon where users can flag chunks of a video as 'sponsored' and it automatically skips them. As such, the usefulness of it will scale with the popularity of a channel, but it catches quite a lot in my experience.

Very cool, thanks

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its really loving hard to find a large television that is not a smart tv piece of poo poo.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
is just putting electrical tape over the smart tv LED that won't stop blinking unless you connect it to wifi not good enough? am i still being spyed on?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Honestly I just buy the cheapest largest tv i can get that is a "smart" tv then plug in chromecast and never use it.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I have a Smart TV, but I have used a collective 60ish hours on it within the last 3 years - Exactly long enough to watch Dune once, and beat GoW Ragnarok.

My desktop monitor is wayyyyy loving bigger than the TV we had throughout my childhood. Its bigger than the TV I had through college, and its nearly as big as the TV I had in my 30s. :filez: are obviously easier to play natively on a PC, and SmartTvs are still very loving stupid w/r/t streaming and transcoding video files, so I just gave up :shrug:

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Cars, touchscreen bad! If I have to look away from the road to adjust something simple it's a lovely design. Also if there's a delay between hitting the throttle and moving not caused by spinning up a basketball sized turbo it's a lovely design.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Just use a monitor.

If only this was an option past 60"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Hollismason posted:

Its really loving hard to find a large television that is not a smart tv piece of poo poo.

I’ve found Sony TVs to be the least intrusive. The OS is just an overlay over Android so yeah Google but you can shut off ads and tracking. The closest thing to an ad I’ve seen is just a “you might like” ribbon that’s at the bottom and completely ignorable.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Vampire Panties posted:

I deleted my Facebook account a few years ago and never looked back, but with of the enshittification of online marketplace sites, I was sorta forced to recreate a Facebook account so I can browse Facebook Marketplace. If you're trying to buy an inexpensive used car, there really isnt anything better than loving Facebook.

Yup. Craigslist is just pure garbage. Not so much the site itself...it was extremely barebones in 2002, and it remains the same today. That's fine. But the content is pure crap, I never see anything of value posted there. I swear, it is some sort of actual time tunnel to 60 year old dudes in 2005 trying to sell their "vintage" crap.

I've tried LetGo or whatever those mobile-based "local used sell/buy/swap" apps, but it seems almost no one near me is using them.

So FB Marketplace it is. But man...part of it is the design of the webpage and it's refusal to work remotely correctly on mobile. Probably so it can force me to get the FB app? But not a chance in Hell. But the search categories, filters, etc... just never work. A good 3/4 of the time I try to turn a category on, I get a "no results in your area" message.

And then the content is some good, but plenty of bad. Filtering by price for, say, a car is pointless because even if you set a lower limit of like $500 to filter out everyone who puts $0 as a price, there are just far too many people who put like $1245 or $2345 as a price. I'm only trying to find a roughly $2-5k used car for my GF. And that's not even getting into the outright scam/fake ones, etc.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Beardcrumb posted:

Op shops/thrift stores. I've noticed all the ones in my area have doubled or tripled their prices so you end up paying close to brand new retail price.

Not sure if it's because secondhand is "cool" now or what, but it feels like soke of these charities are getting greedy and it's especially bad for people who rely on these shops just to get by.

They've been hosed up by, as mentioned, the store putting all the good stuff on eBay, and by shithead scalpers combing through everything for stuff to put on eBay.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Hasturtium posted:

Jesus, that last bit is grim.

Question: what happens if you buy a new smartTV and don’t let it online, only connecting to streaming services through the dongle of your choice or playing Blu-rays on it?

I bought a new LG smart tv last year and never connected it it to wifi or anything, it only gets used as a display for an AppleTV. It works fine.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I have to wonder how many accidents have been caused by UI engineers randomly moving poo poo around in music apps. I have YT premium since YT Music actually randomly has a great algorithm for finding new music (and it's nice not having youtube ads generally) and once every couple of months they'll just move buttons to other places or nest them in drop-down menus and it completely messes with my muscle memory while I'm driving. I know I shouldn't even be touching my phone, but it shouldn't be a struggle just to hit "shuffle" while I'm still watching the road 100%

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
My lg TV updated to make the main menu a fullscreen set of ads instead of a bar covering only the bottom and of course it comes on with the TV and doesn't close itself automatically as it used to.

They also helpfully updated it so the selected menu icon is always set to the very far left on the edge of the screen. Just awful.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Gwely Mernans posted:

I have to wonder how many accidents have been caused by UI engineers randomly moving poo poo around in music apps. I have YT premium since YT Music actually randomly has a great algorithm for finding new music (and it's nice not having youtube ads generally) and once every couple of months they'll just move buttons to other places or nest them in drop-down menus and it completely messes with my muscle memory while I'm driving. I know I shouldn't even be touching my phone, but it shouldn't be a struggle just to hit "shuffle" while I'm still watching the road 100%

Bruh I have no idea why they keep doing this. It’s completely ridiculous. The only enhancement in memory is when they added the ability to tailor your radio station from “familiar” to “discovery”, the latter being really good at doing just that. But everything else, goon lord what is going on there?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I’ve found Sony TVs to be the least intrusive. The OS is just an overlay over Android so yeah Google but you can shut off ads and tracking. The closest thing to an ad I’ve seen is just a “you might like” ribbon that’s at the bottom and completely ignorable.

Yeah, same. We have a Sony TV that we use a fair bit, and the only part of the interface I ever see is the HDMI input selector. There are apps and things, but you can just entirely ignore all that.

We do sporadically try the chromecast functionality, but the last half year or so it loads the correct youtube video but never starts playing. Oh well. :shrug:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This just reminds me that I should delete my facebook.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Cracked.com died years ago and fired all of their writers pretty unceremoniously. What’s left is just the domain being used to plug ads to anyone who happens to stop by.

and all the archived Cracked magazine content was lost back when that dude was mailing anthrax places and their HQ happened to be near one of his targets. The whole IP is basically worthless.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Consumer Reports rated Sony #1 for privacy and I use them for all my TVs. They’re way expensive and I don’t know how bad it is on other TVs but the smart tv is still glitchy and still gets a few hits on my pihole.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
My parents get more bitter every time I see them. They have a great life. I don't get it.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Endorph posted:

you can still get dumb TVs on amazon and stuff

theres parts of the world that do have enough wealth for people to have decently sized home TVs but where not everyone has a home internet connection. so long as that continues being the case (and with how slow internet rollout is in most countries, it probably will be) there'll always be a market for that sort of thing

Dumb TVs from such reputable brands as iGLAFNOBB and STERGBOLLN that will definitely exist two years after the purchase date.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i love my 4k ZOMBO

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've actually been researching non smart tvs and you can get like a 50 inch , no smart tv for like 300 bucks.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Anyone else think autocorrect has gotten worse over the years? I feel like ten years ago I never really had a pro alien [<—-perfect example right there! I meant “problem” like WTF I know wasn’t that far off]

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Computer viking posted:

We do sporadically try the chromecast functionality, but the last half year or so it loads the correct youtube video but never starts playing. Oh well. :shrug:

That might be more the fault of the Youtube TV app itself which is horrible. What’s even weirder is that my wife and I both have iPhones yet it works fine with mine but dislikes hers for some reason.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Hollismason posted:

I've actually been researching non smart tvs and you can get like a 50 inch , no smart tv for like 300 bucks.
Problem is that if you want stuff that’s legit cool like Dolby Vision it’s (nearly?) impossible without a smart tv.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Alright Andre take it easy on the BK.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
I keep accidentally clicking on this thread thinking it's the Trump lol one. When burger King changed their oil for fries, completely made them poo poo. I use to love them. Guess I still have checkers.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

You're at White Castle?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

DickParasite posted:

My parents get more bitter every time I see them. They have a great life. I don't get it.

if they’re anything like mine it’s because they mainline local news and think there’s murderers hiding everywhere. speaking of which the way local news shows look now makes them all look like some sort of dystopian robocop nightmare

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Jelly posted:

i just noticed elon musk got shittier again for no good reason

Musk never got shittier; he was lovely to begin with.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Blue Moonlight posted:

Hah, and they laughed and laughed.

Smart monitors are now a thing you have to watch out for.

Look on Samsung’s works, ye mighty, and despair:

So it has all this poo poo but as far as I can tell it still doesn't have a speaker lol

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

So it has all this poo poo but as far as I can tell it still doesn't have a speaker lol

Hah, I just went and checked the specs on that:

A ringing endorsement of its audio fidelity, I’m sure.

The reviews on Samsung’s own site include negative comments about the sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Internet Old One posted:

and all the archived Cracked magazine content was lost back when that dude was mailing anthrax places and their HQ happened to be near one of his targets. The whole IP is basically worthless.

I hope there’s still backups of Seanbaby’s articles. His Sims 3 one was incredible.

Internet Old One posted:

Consumer Reports rated Sony #1 for privacy and I use them for all my TVs. They’re way expensive and I don’t know how bad it is on other TVs but the smart tv is still glitchy and still gets a few hits on my pihole.

A pihole definitely seems worth setting up if you have phones, tablets or smart TVs that can’t easily have adblockers installed.

Also, is it better to leave your facebook account dormant than delete it? Zuck admitted to congress that anyone who doesn’t have an account is still tracked. I think the only way to avoid it is to have an account with all the privacy settings set to gently caress Off