Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Raiad posted:

that (37 y/o) child is hours away from becoming one of the richest people on earth lmao

The hand will hover no longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Grey Cat posted:

Oh wow yeah I never even thought about cakewalk. Our school held those all the time. Where you'd walk around and stop on a spot and get a treat or something.

"Treat?" It was a literal cake in my time! :corsair:

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

hell, same

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We think the titanic IIs crew is experiencing late stage capitalism as the water and food resources run low

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Plan R posted:

"Treat?" It was a literal cake in my time! :corsair:

Yeah it was like cake/cupcakes and cookies and stuff. Nothing fancy I assure you.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

You kinda hope one of them survives so they can have an Alfred Nobel moment after seeing how the world so gleefully reacted to their eminent demise and try to make the world a better place.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er

Beautiful :golfclap: Made me laugh loudly at work lmao

Gaylor Moon fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 21, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Jimlit posted:

I love that this titanic / submarine story somehow generated a twitter beef with Cardi B.

https://twitter.com/audioguy182/status/1671563483861909505?s=20

it was kind of blink 182 to play "all the small things" as a tribute to his dad and the rest of the crew

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

smellmycheese posted:

The hand will hover no longer.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I wish I was about to become a 37 year old child billionaire :sigh:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Bananana posted:

drat. Homie went full hover-hand

Less of a hover hand and more of a geosynchronous orbit hand

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
It's about 4 degrees Celsius down there. I imagine 5 people in that little space generate enough heat to offset, but has anyone seen anything about that?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Canuckistan posted:

It's about 4 degrees Celsius down there. I imagine 5 people in that little space generate enough heat to offset, but has anyone seen anything about that?

You do not, there's been similar diving bell deaths with multiple bodies, it really doesn't add much time once the heaters go out.

Apricot King
Apr 27, 2008

I’m guessing they’re all looking a little blue at this point.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Space Kablooey posted:

holy poo poo lmao

i bet they didnt even recheck the sub for pressure fractures after each dive.

Apparently they did not, and the carbon fiber looked like poo poo even before it went under stress!

https://techcrunch.com/2023/06/20/a-whistleblower-raised-safety-concerns-about-oceangates-submersible-in-2018-then-he-was-fired

quote:

The report detailed “numerous issues that posed serious safety concerns,” according to the filing. These included Lochridge’s worry that “visible flaws” in the carbon fiber supplied to OceanGate raised the risk of small flaws expanding into larger tears during “pressure cycling.” These are the huge pressure changes that the submersible would experience as it made its way and from the deep ocean floor. He noted that a previously tested scale model of the hull had “prevalent flaws.”

Carbon fiber composites can be stronger and lighter than steel, making a submersible naturally buoyant. But they can also be prone to sudden failure under stress. The hull that Lochridge was writing about was made by Spencer Composites, the only company to have previously made a carbon fiber hull for a manned submersible. (That submersible was commissioned by explorer Steve Fossett for a record-breaking dive, but he died in a light aircraft crash before it could be used.)

Lochridge’s recommendation was that non-destructive testing of the Titan’s hull was necessary to ensure a “solid and safe product.” The filing states that Lochridge was told that such testing was impossible, and that OceanGate would instead rely on its much touted acoustic monitoring system.

This was the report written up by the safety guy they fired - he was afraid the "acoustic monitoring system" would basically go off a millisecond before implosion.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Grey Cat posted:

Honestly it's the catchiest way to say it and nobody can change my mind.

Bury me criss cross applesauce-style.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Das Boo posted:

Bury me criss cross applesauce-style.

I read this 2 different ways, I'll assume we're talking in the grave.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wouldn’t they also probably be dead by now from dehydration? 4 days of air doesn’t mean much if the average person can only go about 3 without water

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Grey Cat posted:

I read this 2 different ways, I'll assume we're talking in the grave.

Hey, I ain't gonna kinkshame here in the sub death thread.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Wouldn’t they also probably be dead by now from dehydration? 4 days of air doesn’t mean much if the average person can only go about 3 without water

They drinking piss

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I wonder if they speced the batteries to run climate control for 96 hours. That's a good chunk of power. I also wonder if they are drying the air somehow. Otherwise there will be a lot of condensation running down the walls.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Regalingualius posted:

"Water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink."

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

"cross-legged" is anti-christian. Better is "legs akimbo"

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Regalingualius posted:

I'd assume that the strongest among them has murdered the others in order to drink their blood and preserve air, it's what I'd do.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Random knowledge I’m not sure where else to share

A sub expert on tiktok was talking about how CO2 scrubbers are very bulky and wondered how the hell they expected to fit one on the Titan, was not pleased to find out that they were using emergency chemical pouch absorbers

Many years ago I was listening to a cooking podcast and they talked about how some butchers experimented with using oxygen-deprivation poison to kill pigs. The idea was that oxygen deprivation is painless and peaceful, and it was pointed out that the reason why it feels like your body is burning and you panic when you hold your breath is because of an over abundance of CO2, not a lack of oxygen.

Anyways if they have insufficient CO2 scrubbing down there the last few hours of their lives are going to be absolute hell

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

I think they had enough water to not die of dehydration even if it was a case of plastic bottles that they were going to throw overboard once they got to the surface.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Regalingualius posted:

There's plenty of water all around them, idiot

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Saalkin posted:

They drinking piss

See, I thought of that, but I figured that they all emptied themselves out on the ship before they went diving

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

Regalingualius posted:

They have some provisions, where do you think all the piss and poo poo is coming from

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

zedprime posted:

It's such a ubiquitous way of sitting with ubiquitous use of the term no one is sure which version was coined first. But considering it came from the Americas in the early to mid 20th century and most people lean toward it being native American inspired.

I've never heard either of the terms as a Brit and it's totally wild to me that they even exist so it's definitely some weird American poo poo.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Das Boo posted:

Hey, I ain't gonna kinkshame here in the sub death thread.

Definitely not shaming, just shows where my mind is at. :allears:

Steve Yun posted:

A sub expert on tiktok was talking about how CO2 scrubbers are very bulky and wondered how the hell they expected to fit one on the Titan, was not pleased to find out that they were using emergency chemical pouch absorbers--

I brought this up yesterday that I doubted they had proper scrubbers and people assured me, "no they have them according to something or other", I would definitely expect it to be something as inadequate as some sort of emergency packs. I was also mentioning that if scrubbers aren't at the right temperature they basically don't work. So safe to say they are probably going to have a bad time long before their air supply runs out.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Canuckistan posted:

I wonder if they speced the batteries to run climate control for 96 hours. That's a good chunk of power. I also wonder if they are drying the air somehow. Otherwise there will be a lot of condensation running down the walls.

Curious about this too. Anyone seen anything on it?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Failson's Twitter sure is a rollercoaster:

https://twitter.com/audioguy182/status/1658906130431737857?s=20

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bumhead posted:

I think this will end up being a YouTube prank.

They’re just going to find Jake Paul bobbing along in an inflatable pink flamingo yelling “PSYCHE!” at a Twitch stream.

Balloon boy 2: Titanic boogaloo

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
You push a button and the sub does down, like an elevator.

Does an elevator have CO2 scrubbers?

Are you kidding, that'd cut into our bottom line!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Does this fuckboy actually think anyone believes he has a resistant bacterial infection from pulling a nose hair? Secondly, if he wants a GF so bad maybe he could try not being a loving freak?

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
They've acclimated to the stench and lie mostly in silence. Their communication is a slow exchange of notes which sometimes threatens their careful, controlled breathing. Movement and speech are rationed, save for the deliberate, rhythmic banging one member is permitted to make every half hour, and despaired curses at Stockton.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

raspurtin posted:

"cross-legged" is anti-christian. Better is "legs akimbo"

legs akimbo is even more un-christian

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pookah posted:

Apparently they did not, and the carbon fiber looked like poo poo even before it went under stress!

https://techcrunch.com/2023/06/20/a-whistleblower-raised-safety-concerns-about-oceangates-submersible-in-2018-then-he-was-fired

This was the report written up by the safety guy they fired - he was afraid the "acoustic monitoring system" would basically go off a millisecond before implosion.

lmao of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Channel 5 UK rushing out an hour of airtime. Which is more than the billionaires will have at this point lol

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1671557971615023119?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg