Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Pylons posted:

The what

No it’s the yeah, he didn’t steal what from Stone Cold yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
When talking about MAINSTREAM FAMOUS WRESTLERS you can't forget Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks, the only two wrestlers any British person over the age of 60 knows.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yea Chris Jericho is more famous than Roman Reigns, sure.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Probably?

He was around when wrestling was at its hottest and he’s done a bunch of stuff outside wrestling like the celebrity dance thing and the masked singer and his lovely band.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

History Comes Inside! posted:

Probably?

He was around when wrestling was at its hottest and he’s done a bunch of stuff outside wrestling like the celebrity dance thing and the masked singer and his lovely band.

Roman Reigns never hosted a show about robots punching each other.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yeah someone who's been around for 25 years including in the last actual boom period is more famous than Tribal chief guy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jericho has found mild success with his crappy rock band which makes him about a million loving times more famous than Please Help Me Sell Some Tickets John Cena Guy.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Chris Jericho was also in Jay and Silent Bob Reboot as a hilarious punchline predicated on his recognizability, and even made it into Terrifier 2 which was a surprising smash success. He was a big name during wrestling's hottest period and his star has kept its shine. Roman is still contained in the WWE bubble outside of cameos in Fast movies.

Fozzy has been asked to appear on compilation and cover albums and sells tickets on its own name, somehow. Yeah I'd say he's more recognizable to most.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

no one knows who roman reigns is

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Everyone’s asking who is Roman Reigns but nobody is asking how is Roman Reigns

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Like I think the height of Roman's accomplishments outside of wrestling is that he did an episode of some Disney show and Rock got him a NON SPEAKING CAMEO in the Fast and Furious spinoff.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

10,000 belts and he never drew a dime

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Roman Reigns is all like "I'm Roman Reigns" but how does he know?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Eat My Fuc posted:

CODY FAMOUSER THAN ROCK!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

roman is so over, when he's being diagnosed with cancer

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I find it hard to believe that anyone knows who Roman Reigns is outside of WWE fans from the past 10 years. The guy has done absolutely nothing outside of WWE to get any name recognition.

More people know who Dolph Ziggler is just based on him being the wrestler that dated Amy Schumer

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
My wrestling-ignorant coworker knew Roman Reigns cause he thought Reigns was a hottie

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Astro7x posted:

I find it hard to believe that anyone knows who Roman Reigns is outside of WWE fans from the past 10 years. The guy has done absolutely nothing outside of WWE to get any name recognition.

More people know who Dolph Ziggler is just based on him being the wrestler that dated Amy Schumer

He was the most important cameo in the worldchanging film hobbs and shaw

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Chris Jericho was also in Jay and Silent Bob Reboot as a hilarious punchline predicated on his recognizability, and even made it into Terrifier 2 which was a surprising smash success. He was a big name during wrestling's hottest period and his star has kept its shine. Roman is still contained in the WWE bubble outside of cameos in Fast movies.

Fozzy has been asked to appear on compilation and cover albums and sells tickets on its own name, somehow. Yeah I'd say he's more recognizable to most.

Chris Jericho once got mentioned during an Indian domestic T20 cricket league game. I've yet to hear Roman Reigns get mentioned during an IPL broadcast.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Probably?

It's kinda weird, but yeah Jericho is probably more famous than Roman. I've heard Jericho reference in non-wrestling shows and irl much more than Roman which currently sits at zero references.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

jericho was on dancing with the stars when it was at its viewership peak averaging 21 million viewers per week

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Happiness posted:

jericho was on dancing with the stars when it was at its viewership peak averaging 21 million viewers per week

Who's more famous, Chris Jericho or The Miz?

How much does Roman hate that The Miz is significantly more famous than him?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Has anyone ever heard of roman reigns? He's never been on television.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Eat My Fuc posted:

Go on, post Roman’s appearance on The Masked Singer. I’ll wait :smug:

https://youtu.be/v5ui2W8GXPw

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

projecthalaxy posted:

Has anyone ever heard of roman reigns? He's never been on television.

You Can't Believe That on Television.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

rotinaj posted:

Some of these are hilariously bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA9H-FYxMbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qsWCljzuiM

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

rotinaj posted:

I don't think he had one line of dialog. Beside a "oooooohhhh ahhhhh" as he hit some wrestling move on a bad guy extra

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Roman doesn't even sniff the top 10 of wrestlers known to the general public. You have to be known in things people could've seen. My rough idea is this but it changes constantly:

Rock (no contest)
Hogan
Cena
Austin
Flair (Ric obviously)
Savage
Ba(u)tista
Andre
Goldberg
Piper

Brock and Ronda are better known for MMA. Taker didn't do much in public due to wanting to keep kayfabe so his Q score suffers here. Jericho has hosted a game show and been on DWTS but Judas isn't the chart topper people in the bubble think it is. I really wanted to put in HHH up there but Blade Trinity doesn't hold a candle to They Live in the public collective. Ventura is better known for acting and commentary and that whole inexplicable rise to MN governor but not his wrestling.

Hell, depending on how successful it really was to the public and not propped up by NBCUniversal, people in Total Divas/Bellas could be more popular among reality show fans. Miz falls in here too.

Also, remember the golden age of mainstream wrestling took off in popularity not due to Hulkamania but because Lou Albano and Cyndi Lauper once shared a airplane and a strange but lucrative connection was formed.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
A lot of Kacy Catanzaro Katana Chance erasure in this thread.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think people massively overestimate the reach and popularity of They Live wrt Piper being a mainstream guy, tbh

More people probably saw him cameo on Always Sunny than have ever watched and cared enough about They Live to commit him to memory no matter what cult classic nerds preach about it on the internet.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Island Nation posted:

Hell, depending on how successful it really was to the public and not propped up by NBCUniversal, people in Total Divas/Bellas could be more popular among reality show fans.

I'll always remember this weird customer where I work who would come in and just randomly start talking about Nikki Bella like anyone cared. He'd also refer to Brie as "Nikki's sister" and Cena as "Nikki's fiance."

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Island Nation posted:

Jericho has hosted a game show and been on DWTS but Judas isn't the chart topper people in the bubble think it is.

Who is legitimately arguing that judas was a chart topper

That person’s mental world sounds more fun than the real world

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

rotinaj posted:

Who is legitimately arguing that judas was a chart topper

Christopher Keith Irvine (born November 9, 1970), better known by the ring name Chris Jericho, is an American-Canadian professional wrestler and rock musician. He is currently signed to All Elite Wrestling (AEW), where he is the leader of the Jericho Appreciation Society stable. Noted for his over-the-top rock star persona, in-ring technical wrestling prowess, and his ability to reinvent his character throughout the course of his career, Jericho has been named by journalists and industry colleagues as one of the greatest professional wrestlers of all time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Excuse me it got to 5 on the “Mainstream Rock” chart and is certified Gold by the RIAA

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
^Good for Fozzy but good luck finding someone who knows of them without knowing Chris' main line of work.^

I think people massively overestimate the reach and popularity of They Live wrt Piper being a mainstream guy, tbh

More people probably saw him cameo on Always Sunny than have ever watched and cared enough about They Live to commit him to memory no matter what cult classic nerds preach about it on the internet.

Fair enough, John Carpenter's work minus Halloween is more cult popularity than mainstream anyway. If you know anyone who thinks Hell Comes To Frogtown is a masterpiece of cinema, I know a few psychiatrists.

The idea is if you showed someone a picture of the wrestler at their prime and asked them to name him or her, more could get Hod Rod correct than The Game.

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 21, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Island Nation posted:

Fair enough, John Carpenter's work minus Halloween is more cult popularity than mainstream anyway. If you know anyone who thinks Hell Comes To Frogtown is a masterpiece of cinema, I know a few psychiatrists.

The idea is if you showed someone a picture of the wrestler at their prime and asked them to name him or her, more could get Hod Rod correct than The Game.

I might be misreading your post (and apologies if I am :) ), but John Carpenter didn't direct Hell Comes to Frogtown.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Kvlt! posted:

i think ppl are missing Cena, most ppl know who he is

I mean let's count stone cold and undertaker if we're counting guys who show up once or twice a year

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I might be misreading your post (and apologies if I am :) ), but John Carpenter didn't direct Hell Comes to Frogtown.

Apology accepted. Mr. Jackson and Mr. Kizer tried their best

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It was so funny at the like early 2004 fozzy shows because jericho banned y2j chants and stuff because that wasn't helping fozzy grow its rock brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Roman Reigns never wrestled a match on the famous Spike TV Video Game Awards, Chris Jericho did.