Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Rise of Skywalker was my last film before covid. For a while I was worried it would be the last movie I ever saw in theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It was Sonic for me and while that one was ok, it wasn't what I wanted my last theatre movie ever to be

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I am so glad I decided to risk Dune at a good theater. Didn't get Covid, saw an amazing movie.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Madkal posted:

BoP was actually one of the better DC movies and it got completely memory holed which is a shame. The action sequences were fun and the characters were great and the actors were clearly having a blast. I will admit I found the Harley stuff a bit grating (gimme a Huntress movie instead) but it really deserves more praise than it gets.

And here I thought he was referring to the old BoP TV show from 20 years ago.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I saw Promare then a showing of Stop Making Sense and I was happy to have gone out on top.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure the last movie I saw in theaters was Far From Home. We only ever really went for Marvel movies, and with Disney+, we're just content to wait for them to come to streaming and watch them a couple months later.

I'm not like, scared to go back to theaters, since we only went for matinee showings during the week, after a movie had been out for a little while, so things were generally pretty empty anyway, but it just ended up so much more convenient to watch stuff at home. Can pause for bathroom breaks, rewind because the terrible sound mixing meant you missed what was said the first time, and you don't have to pay $20 for popcorn and a soda. Besides, the place we used to go went under because of the pandemic and was bought by a different chain, so my rewards became useless.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oracle posted:

That whole show was terrible aside from the actually pretty neat casting choice of Dina Meyer as Oracle. I still remember to this day the cop character catching Huntress as she was trying to break into a safe or something and asks apropos of nothing "Why don't you carry any weapons?" just so she can do a trailer shot of "I am a weapon." Also it was big in the 'costumes, EW!' phase of supers TV so she basically wore clubwear. 'Who cares if it looks good,' one might rush to ask but I assure, hypothetical goon questioner, it did not.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Air Skwirl posted:

I can't remember which I saw first, but yeah the last movie I saw before COVID was either BoP or the new Little Women.
Little Women was probably the best possible movie to have as your last theatrical movie at the time, you did well.

Dawgstar posted:

That whole show was terrible aside from the actually pretty neat casting choice of Dina Meyer as Oracle. I still remember to this day the cop character catching Huntress as she was trying to break into a safe or something and asks apropos of nothing "Why don't you carry any weapons?" just so she can do a trailer shot of "I am a weapon." Also it was big in the 'costumes, EW!' phase of supers TV so she basically wore clubwear. 'Who cares if it looks good,' one might rush to ask but I assure, hypothetical goon questioner, it did not.
Harley Quinn wore a vaguely jester-themed grandma sweater, it was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8qoFacoZf0

Along with the Ben Affleck Daredevil the BoP TV series remain the most amazingly, agonizingly early-2000s comic book adaptations possible.

The whole thing is on Tubi https://tubitv.com/series/300008596/birds-of-prey

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Assepoester posted:

What really sells it is the fight set to a t.A.T.u song.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Oracle posted:

I hate you for pointing out it's been 20 years

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

The theaters around me let you rent the theater for like $200. We just started splitting it with 4 or 5 families and spreadout. Ended up being cheaper than regular movies too.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Assepoester posted:

Little Women was probably the best possible movie to have as your last theatrical movie at the time, you did well.

Along with the Ben Affleck Daredevil the BoP TV series remain the most amazingly, agonizingly early-2000s comic book adaptations possible.

Fun to compare that to another clock tower fight a decade later

Skip to 1:20 to avoid the CW drama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tv0-tyEm5U

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Shageletic posted:

Fun to compare that to another clock tower fight a decade later

Skip to 1:20 to avoid the CW drama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tv0-tyEm5U

Add the Tatu song to the Arrow clip please and thank you.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Assepoester posted:

i can't get over the tatu lmao

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

It's so weird to remember that you used to be able to have an action show where not a single member of the cast can do action and neither can the cinematographer or director

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yes but unfortunately Gotham Knights won't be returning

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

BoP was also my last movie pre-quarantine, which I completely forgot I’d seen until some friends and I were ranking DCEU movies up to Black Adam last year.

gninjagnome posted:

The theaters around me let you rent the theater for like $200. We just started splitting it with 4 or 5 families and spreadout. Ended up being cheaper than regular movies too.

This was such a fun thing while it lasted, my wife rented out a theatre for Clue, one of my all time favorite movies and we had a nice get together with friends to watch it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sanschel posted:

BoP was also my last movie pre-quarantine, which I completely forgot I’d seen until some friends and I were ranking DCEU movies up to Black Adam last year.

This was such a fun thing while it lasted, my wife rented out a theatre for Clue, one of my all time favorite movies and we had a nice get together with friends to watch it.

Pretty sure cinemas will do this normally, they just probably require more notice when the world isn't shut down. We got the one on campus when I was at university to do a double bill of both Ghostbusters movies once.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sanschel posted:

The theater here was doing it for 100 during the summer of 2020 I think. They were on the verge of bankruptcy before covid though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/BrianLongFilms/status/1671426844246294528?s=20

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Soon we won't need any pesky people, who would demand wages for their labor, to create art.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There's a studio credited for the intro (who have worked on a lot of other high-profile shows) so it's unclear how much is an artistic choice and how much is a financial one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Soon we won't need any pesky people, who would demand wages for their labor, to create art.

Any of She-Hulk's future seasons/appearances won't feature Jen powering down at any point as it's much easier for the AI to make her than it is to render Tatiana Maslany's actual face

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah this really just feels like an artistic choice to trade on the uncanny valley effect and unsettling nature of AI art. In a series about not being able to trust what you are seeing and hearing and always being on edge, not knowing if who you see is actually real.

As far as the AI use in general, it just largely comes down to how ethical the datasets the company is using are. Which who knows.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

If only there was some ethically sound way to create unsettling and alien looking art

Perhaps by paying some sort of creative professionals with monetary compensation

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Abroham Lincoln posted:

If only there was some ethically sound way to create unsettling and alien looking art

Perhaps by paying some sort of creative professionals with monetary compensation

They did. They paid a ton of money to contract Method Studios to design all the supplemental art, including the title sequence.

https://www.methodstudios.com/en/

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The first ep of Secret Invasion was good. I know the title sequence is so exciting to chat about, but the show itself was good. I like that Fury is pretending to be fat and physically broken or at least I assume he is.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Could not keep off my phone during secret invasion episode one, not gonna watch the rest.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm not gonna argue that it looks good (I mean, maybe compared to complete garbage?) but a distinction should be drawn between people who use AI to rip artists off and artists who use AI to make kinda dubious art like the way game devs in the 00s used lens flare and grimy color palettes

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/fellawhomstdve/status/1671529321238872071?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It was...okay, I guess? Wasn't bad at all but it didn't particularly hook me either. Ngl I thought bringing Hill in just to kill her off for a "this is serious" stinger was unnecessary tho

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

It was...okay, I guess? Wasn't bad at all but it didn't particularly hook me either. Ngl I thought bringing Hill in just to kill her off for a "this is serious" stinger was unnecessary tho

I knew she was going to die the moment I saw they brought her back

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

It's not bad and I think there's real potential for improvement with the setup out of the way, but based on the first episode, she's not wrong in that the show very much does want you to treat it as a Serious Prestige TV Spy Drama rather than just another MCU project. this largely means a dour and self-serious tone, lots of dingy urban environments, and lots of talk about geopolitics without having anything to actually say about them. the opening scene is also painfully dull; I can think of any number of far more interesting ways to introduce "anyone could really be a Skrull" as a premise

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Seems like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" reality for the MCU. Either they're generic CGI mashups or they take themselves too seriously. It's like the "Say the line, Bart" episode of The Simpsons but with the Guardians movies.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

live with fruit posted:

Seems like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" reality for the MCU. Either they're generic CGI mashups or they take themselves too seriously. It's like the "Say the line, Bart" episode of The Simpsons but with the Guardians movies.

it's definitely a case of "these Marvel Studios projects all feel the same! why can't they try something with a different tone?" [*monkey's paw curls*]

oh well, if Secret Invasion doesn't improve, then maybe Daredevil: BA will manage to thread that needle better. we can always hope

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Barry Convex posted:

It's not bad and I think there's real potential for improvement with the setup out of the way, but based on the first episode, she's not wrong in that the show very much does want you to treat it as a Serious Prestige TV Spy Drama rather than just another MCU project. this largely means a dour and self-serious tone, lots of dingy urban environments, and lots of talk about geopolitics without having anything to actually say about them. the opening scene is also painfully dull; I can think of any number of far more interesting ways to introduce "anyone could really be a Skrull" as a premise

It definitely feels like civil war in particular, and to a lesser extent captain falcon & winter soldier

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It feels like a boomer show, like that new Kiefer Sutherland one. If it didn't require so much backstory, I'd recommend it to my old parents.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
yup, i'm along for the ride but killing hill was bullshit

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 22, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Soonmot posted:

yup, i'm along for the ride but SPOILERS

Might wanna fix that ASAP so other people don't get it spoiled. :(