Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

dr_rat posted:

Can't buy them online anymore, but I hear you can still get tickets at the door.

:pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Plan R posted:

Did people not see their "offices" are a ramshackle building with a few cargo containers?

There is no money.

they're talking about inheritance

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

drunkb posted:

Is it too late to buy a ticket?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Butterfly Valley posted:

"sit down and cross your legs" or "sit cross-legged" although at school if we were sitting on the floor in a group like for assembly or whatever that was just the assumption so it never had to be outright stated

What do you say when someone says "See you later alligator"?

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

I missed like 1400 posts. That rules.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Raskolnikov38 posted:

somebody posted studies of carbon fiber failures under compression in one of the threads on this and it just rips open when it fails. so some fissure opened up and instantly killed them probably

yeah, carbon fiber fails catastrophically if it fails at all

if any part of the fiber starts to rupture/split/etc & it's still under load, it's like pulling a thread from a sweater made out of glass

it probably sounded like a light bulb bursting from a distance

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Not if my sub implodes first

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Wow it only used to cost 25 cents and now it's $250K??? loving inflation man.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

FirstnameLastname posted:

yeah, carbon fiber fails catastrophically if it fails at all

if any part of the fiber starts to rupture/split/etc & it's still under load, it's like pulling a thread from a sweater made out of glass

it probably sounded like a light bulb bursting from a distance

I mean I am no genius submersible inventor but I learned this when I first got a bicycle with carbon forks about 20 years ago

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Thing is, we now know Carbon Fiber is safe to use in submersibles diving at those depths (up to 3 trips total and no more though).

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MiracleFlare posted:

Maybe if we're lucky it will be just small enough that he could blow it all on cocaine before he gets a chance to invest in something way worse

The kid's going to spend it all on Blink 182 merch and Only Fans. An honest-to-God better use of the money than anything his stepdad was up to, and more ethical!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
All the interviews with the inventor remind me of Audience Of One, the docu about a pastor who is convinced he can make the Evangelical version of Star Wars, a full-length big budget motion picture, with only himself as producer, director, and editor, having absolutely no knowledge of any of those fields, and with no one able to convince him that each of his obviously bone-,headed decisions are wrong.

After failing to make the movie, he declares to his congregation that they are moving on to a loftier goal: to establish the first church... in space.

But of course, that guy's hubris came from an almost self-hypnosis level of religious conviction while this billionaire rear end in a top hat simply saw himself as one of the unquestionable upper class lords of the Earth.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

drunkb posted:

I missed like 1400 posts. That rules.

Thanks, you didn't miss much still a chaotic yet silly situation with no information beyond dirt on people.
E: I just like to make dumb shops of other people's better posts

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

DSV Alvin was retrieved from a depth of 5000 feet with nobody inside of it. Pisces III, deepest rescue of human beings ever allegedly, was only 1500 feet. Titanic is 12,500 feet. Just had to set some context for myself because jesus christ just use titanium instead of carbon fiber you loving rear end in a top hat.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
I missed so much since yesterday morning. Why didn’t that goon that built a submarine try this instead of murdering a journalist lady?

Oh yeah…goon

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Why are so many people in this thread convinced the billionaire left a dime to his adult, mass shooting threatening step son who clearly isn't at all shaken by his stepfather's grisly death?

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.

Sydin posted:

It'd save air but since by all accounts the Titan has no ability to vent externally the decomposing corpse smell would overwhelm the survivors pretty quickly.

The temperature at their depth is about the same as inside of a refrigerator, so decomposition won't be an issue in the time frame they're dealing with. Assuming that they haven't been crushed outright, there shouldn't be any rotting corpse smells to detract from the close-quarters, open-shitter miasma.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
suddenly relevant -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g42EG7LD1UY

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Grey Cat posted:

Thanks, you didn't miss much still a chaotic yet silly situation with no information beyond dirt on people.
E: I just like to make dumb shops of other people's better posts

Wasn’t really expecting them to be found. Thread delivers.

No bodies ever

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Sub-maritime law stipulates that whoever finds the billionaire corpse(s) gets the inheritance .

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Buce posted:

Sub-maritime law stipulate that whoever finds the billionaire corpse(s) gets the inheritance .

I'd watch this movie. Call it Race to the Bottom. 😎

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

DSV Alvin was retrieved from a depth of 5000 feet with nobody inside of it. Pisces III, deepest rescue of human beings ever allegedly, was only 1500 feet. Titanic is 12,500 feet. Just had to set some context for myself because jesus christ just use titanium instead of carbon fiber you loving rear end in a top hat.

That really does put it into perspective, I was thinking about the wildrake diving accident where they died of hypothermia in a bell, that was only 520ft.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Willatron posted:

Why are so many people in this thread convinced the billionaire left a dime to his adult, mass shooting threatening step son who clearly isn't at all shaken by his stepfather's grisly death?

because it's funny?

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

lmao for real

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Plan R posted:

suddenly relevant --

Wait the Titanic just been chilling at a dock in New York this whole time?

lol they really did just gently caress up on just every aspect of this trip didn't they.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

:thunk:

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
So even if they find the sub intact with the crew alive just chilling on the bottom of the ocean today what are the chances that rescuers could even get them to the surface before they run out of air?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

In that hover hands tweet the stepson looks EXACTLY like the billionaire dude so I’m guessing he is in fact a biological son.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
They get so close to the wreck that's it's easy to imagine them becoming entangled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCwg2h7i4Ac

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

raggedphoto posted:

So even if they find the sub intact with the crew alive just chilling on the bottom of the ocean today what are the chances that rescuers could even get them to the surface before they run out of air?

Zero.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

dr_rat posted:

Wait the Titanic just been chilling at a dock in New York this whole time?

lol they really did just gently caress up on just every aspect of this trip didn't they.

Better late than never!

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

But the ceo/pilot/visionary is doing something he loves and is therefore not working.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

:lol:

https://twitter.com/rogueprintco/status/1671583442583134210

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

"Yeah I died after safely evacuating people from the burning towers, I went back in to see if there was anyone left and the drat building collapsed. How about you?"

"I died making GBS threads into a bucket in front of four other people and crying after I paid a quarter million to get into a glorified ocean coffin."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Trixie Hardcore posted:

see you later, leather skin tanned white people

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

imagine how satisfying it would be to fire the neutrona wand at all these first-class dead fuckos

get a load of this one, says he's J.J. Astor. well now this magnate gets to be the captain of his own little smoking electronic box in transit to artificial limbohell. laughter all around, and then Egon and I share a spliff on the roof of the firehouse

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

raggedphoto posted:

Referring to my timer from yesterday https://countingdownto.com/?c=4831670
They supposedly have less than 14hrs of air left, so pretty unlikely, this kinda thing usually takes days from when it happens and they KNOW where they are. This is an unprecedented and they still don't even know where they are. So assuming they aren't on the surface they are dead.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

raggedphoto posted:

Pretty low I’d guess. You are correctly recognizing that even if the precise location were known right now you have to add time to get the ship to the spot, deploy rescue robot or submersible to it, attach cable, haul up, and get to the bolts and open them against whatever air supply is left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Zwabu posted:

In that hover hands tweet the stepson looks EXACTLY like the billionaire dude so I’m guessing he is in fact a biological son.

Fail Snow