Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Saw this random pillbug rave on my walk to lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gunshow Poophole posted:

speaking of, my sil texted me "omg is this a cockroach??" lol

(click beetle)
I hope the click beetle is okay :ohdear:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

I hope the click beetle is okay :ohdear:

disappeared under their couch, and so like every other critter in their house is now safe but at the mercy of her two kitties :)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

speaking of, my sil texted me "omg is this a cockroach??" lol

(click beetle)
Nothing's happening?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It was a firefly!
Reptiles and amphibians love the poo poo out of my yard.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Scarodactyl posted:

Saw this random pillbug rave on my walk to lunch.

They heard about the free cellulose

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mozi posted:

i believe now that there are multiple frogs

this vine has so many crickets on it it's crazy

frog heaven to be sure

Those are German cockroaches

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Saw a little green weevil (?) walkin' around the table I was eating my lunch at outside.

He wouldn't stay still for a good picture.

Edit: got a bit better one:

I love their stupid gait with their goofy clown-shoe bug feet.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 21, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DrBouvenstein posted:

Saw a little green weevil (?) walkin' around the table I was eating my lunch at outside.
yep, that's a weevil.

quote:

He wouldn't stay still for a good picture.
yep, that's a weevil.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

PainterofCrap posted:

Those are German cockroaches

send more frogs

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's a Pale Green Weevil (Polydrusus impressifrons). Native to Europe and first recorded in North America in 1906.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1063120699172077621/1121216770091536424/PXL_20230621_224941160.TS.mp4

Some cardinals on the lawn. They were fighting before this so I assume it's some kind of territorial thing?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Chinston Wurchill posted:

It boggles my mind that such small lizards exist.

Not just tiny lizards but other even tinier animals - meet Paedophryne amauensis

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Not just tiny lizards but other even tinier animals - meet Paedophryne amauensis

Is that full grown or a frogling?

Either way, is so tiny :3:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

MagpieConcept posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1063120699172077621/1121216770091536424/PXL_20230621_224941160.TS.mp4

Some cardinals on the lawn. They were fighting before this so I assume it's some kind of territorial thing?

eh the males in my area pick on each other all the time. it's probably mostly territorial. Maybe they have a pecking order like chickens.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Yeah, any vertebrates that small are ridiculous. I guess I can accept fish because their body plan is somewhat simpler, but land creatures shouldn't be that small!

Here are some of my tiny friends from my trip to the Big Island in 2015.

Nothing for scale on that last one, but it was no bigger than the first one.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i remember going camping in rural PA and finding so many teeny tiny frogs in the grass all the time. i never see them anymore. :(

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Technically not a critter, but something beautiful made by a critter:

An abandoned paper wasp nest - I liked the coloured layers, like an ochre painting

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have preserved a couple bald-faced hornet’s nests for this very reason: They’re art.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

I have preserved a couple bald-faced hornet’s nests for this very reason: They’re art.

I have a painted with acrylic ink, then epoxied paper wasp nest nest for this reason. I have no clue what the gently caress I’m going to do with it aside from having it. But it’s awesome.

The wasps that made it were also pretty cool about me going outside and smoking right next to them. I also found out that paper wasps like air conditioning, that summer, since I would try to have only the screen closed when I was working on smelly stuff at night, and a lot of the wasps would head over to the screen to sleep, which is likely how the few that I had to catch to throw back outside got in.

Attaching images is not currently working correctly.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Visited a wildlife conservancy today and saw a lot of cute birds

:kimchi:

:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 25, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this guy was on the wall. he is like 2mm in size. truly just a lil guy

this is 10x magnification. I literally could not get a bigger picture of him with my phone, the area of this photo is roughly the size of an M&M.

also taking these pictures makes me realize just how much invisible lint is on the wall, only visible when a camera flash gives them the tiniest semblance of a shadow

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

wimdy

idk anything about bugs but the black wings are very striking

:3

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Your damselfly is probably an ebony jewelwing, yea they are really striking

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Damnit. iApp is still using url tags instead of letting me attach images. Let’s see if imgbb works.

Looks like it has already gone fishing again.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I met this strange fly on the weekend.

From a distance I thought the wings were fancy antennae. It was doing a little wing dance.

I also caught this robber fly trying to break into my garage.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

SLUG PARTY

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I met this strange fly on the weekend.

From a distance I thought the wings were fancy antennae. It was doing a little wing dance.

I also caught this robber fly trying to break into my garage.

Robber flies are so fuckin badass

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that one looks like he's like "you! YAH I'M TALKIN TA YOU! *does the throat-slit motion*"

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

he'll eat you

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm not an ant.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just saw this spider outside. It's not the best cellphone picture but I think it's a tan jumping spider

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
My house this year is just swarming with spiders, none of which I am capable of photographing clearly. :( I have false widows, what looks to be some kind of long-legged cellar spiders, and I have seen several very fast, low-slung shiny black models zooming around when they think I am not looking. After seeing some earlier posts in this thread I was worried about being inundated with ticks but we haven't seen any. Overall I much prefer this kind of arachnid invasion.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
This guy was fluttering around in the dark last night, and I thought it was a small bat at first before he landed on the screen. I put my hand in for scale, but then forgot how perspective works, so allow me to just say, he was about the size of my hand.

Luna moth

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I had a southern boobook pounce on to the road in front of my car last night, braked to avoid and had time to register “oh god what is wrong with that pigeon, oh wow it’s an owl OH WOW it has like raccoon eyes” before I drove past. I hope he caught his little meal! And I wish I’d had dashcam or something to get a pic. I’ve only ever seen barn owls and tawny frogmouths here, extremely rarely so this was the first boobook I’ve ever seen.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 29, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Slugworth posted:

This guy was fluttering around in the dark last night, and I thought it was a small bat at first before he landed on the screen. I put my hand in for scale, but then forgot how perspective works, so allow me to just say, he was about the size of my hand.

Luna moth

I've seen far fewer luna moths these last few years than I used to. I'm sure they're still fine and plentiful, but I always worry that suddenly some of these gigantic silk moths will just vanish.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Turns out I've been living 10 minutes away from an amazing private wetland preserve for like two years and I had no idea it was even there

I really had to torture this one in photoshop because I'm new and bad and I haven't learned proper post processing yet but look at the size of this lad

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I was about to have a shower when I noticed a Boone and Crockett sized house centipede in my bathtub. Those are loving toenail clippers.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ah, a young'un.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Are mutations in frogs a thing? I'm wondering as my cat brought a frog into the house the other day and while I was returning it to the creek behind my house I noticed it had a small pink arm growing out its side.