Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/OyasumiRoro/status/1671320212065615873?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

raggedphoto posted:

So even if they find the sub intact with the crew alive just chilling on the bottom of the ocean today what are the chances that rescuers could even get them to the surface before they run out of air?

Find how? I don't think there's anything around the site that has any real chance of finding it unless it surfaces. But yeah even if they do find it no one seems to have any idea of what to do if it's at depth. Also the total amount of total air they had was apparently just a massively guessed number so in the unlikely event it hasn't imploded air probably did run out a bit ago.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

smellmycheese posted:

I mean I am no genius submersible inventor but I learned this when I first got a bicycle with carbon forks about 20 years ago

why didn't you warn the sub

you had so much time

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

blink 182 titanic submarine stepson milkshake ducked

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

somebody posted studies of carbon fiber failures under compression in one of the threads on this and it just rips open when it fails. so some fissure opened up and instantly killed them probably

That was me:

Log082 posted:

I've seen videos at conferences of underwater implosions on carbon-fiber/epoxy tubes that reminded me of the construction of this sub. I went digging (i.e. put "underwater cylinder implosion" into google scholar) and of course the videos aren't uploaded but there are pictures. These experiments are driven by hydrostatic pressure, which is to stay a slowly increasing overall pressure to mimic deep sea conditions rather than a sudden explosion or other trigger.

Source: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pd...sMMOB1Gf-DFdDBD

Carbon-fiber/epoxy tube with no stiffening ring

Tubes with increasing number of rings

Post-mortem images of the cracking

Once a tube like that starts to buckle, it goes fast.

And you are, possibly fortunately, half-wrong. It does tear apart, but if you look at the DIC images, it's tearing because the tube is collapsing in a time of about 4.5 ms, or four and a half thousandths of a second. If they were lucky enough to go out this way, they didn't suffer.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

is there no bottom to this story?

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Steve Yun posted:

Random knowledge I’m not sure where else to share

A sub expert on tiktok was talking about how CO2 scrubbers are very bulky and wondered how the hell they expected to fit one on the Titan, was not pleased to find out that they were using emergency chemical pouch absorbers

Many years ago I was listening to a cooking podcast and they talked about how some butchers experimented with using oxygen-deprivation poison to kill pigs. The idea was that oxygen deprivation is painless and peaceful, and it was pointed out that the reason why it feels like your body is burning and you panic when you hold your breath is because of an over abundance of CO2, not a lack of oxygen.

Anyways if they have insufficient CO2 scrubbing down there the last few hours of their lives are going to be absolute hell

Wait until you learn that CO2 can be and is used to kill animals for slaughter in America! Nitrogen is too expensive for slaughterhouses to use! (Which means that they rely on people panicking if the CO2 is too high in the room. Nitrogen and an O2 alarm is considered "excessive, and too expensive" for use in the meat packing industry.

https://www.wired.com/story/dex-pig-slaughterhouse-gas-chambers-videos/

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

raggedphoto posted:

So even if they find the sub intact with the crew alive just chilling on the bottom of the ocean today what are the chances that rescuers could even get them to the surface before they run out of air?

If they're bobbing on the surface somewhere and get found it's pretty easy, just double time a ship over, secure the sub, and pop the hatch.

If they're neutrally buoyant somewhere in the ocean it's trickier but still feasible. Coast guard theoretically has a rescue capability down to 2km.

If they're actually entangled somewhere on the sea floor then things get really dicey. Supposedly the Navy has rescue capability at that depth (or more likely, tech designed for salvage operations of enemy ships/subs that sink to the sea floor after combat) but we're at the point where they'd have to get that equipment out to the spot where the sub is, get it positioned all the way down on the sea floor correctly, and then haul the sub back up within something like 12 hours.

Terraplane posted:

The temperature at their depth is about the same as inside of a refrigerator, so decomposition won't be an issue in the time frame they're dealing with. Assuming that they haven't been crushed outright, there shouldn't be any rotting corpse smells to detract from the close-quarters, open-shitter miasma.

I'd think it would depend on if the electronics were active and they had any form of heating? The chemical CO2 scrubbers they're using also give off heat, although maybe it's not enough to speed up decomp. If they really have been siting in a ~40 degree tube for days with (presumably) no blankets or anything similar then you'd also start worrying about hypothermia, right? Maybe they can pull the privacy curtain off the shitter and take turns using it as a sheet.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Grey Cat posted:

Referring to my timer from yesterday https://countingdownto.com/?c=4831670
They supposedly have less than 14hrs of air left, so pretty unlikely, this kinda thing usually takes days from when it happens and they KNOW where they are. This is an unprecedented and they still don't even know where they are. So assuming they aren't on the surface they are dead.

Counting your timer as canon. The closest support vehicle is still about 40 miles out from the area NOW and there is another convoy of ships that won't arrive until tomorrow morning. That's grim IF they didn't vaporize or freeze.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Seems like a waste of multiple countries time and money to keep looking for these rear end clowns, I wonder when they'll call it all off.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Droogie posted:

Counting your timer as canon. The closest support vehicle is still about 40 miles out from the area NOW and there is another convoy of ships that won't arrive until tomorrow morning. That's grim IF they didn't vaporize or freeze.

It's based off the news statement "40 hours left of oxygen", so it's as close to accurate as I could get. Assuming lots of other things didn't go wrong first. Freezing, pancaking, CO2, etc etc.
E: so yeah, dead unless they're on the surface right this second, and a vehicle comes and unbolts the hatch for them to get out within that time.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Whale Fall Son

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

There won’t just be a cut and dry “call off” but there will be a public statement on the prospect of finding anyone alive and the “recovery” mission will scale back from there.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
They are probably so full of themselves that…forget it. That’s it.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Grey Cat posted:

It's based off the news statement "40 hours left of oxygen", so it's as close to accurate as I could get. Assuming lots of other things didn't go wrong first. Freezing, pancaking, CO2, etc etc.

That's why I keep referring to it. Best thing we have. Discussing this last night, decided 100ms depressurization/flash fry is right up at the top of my list along with "dying peacefully in my sleep at an old age."

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

dr_rat posted:

Find how? I don't think there's anything around the site that has any real chance of finding it unless it surfaces. But yeah even if they do find it no one seems to have any idea of what to do if it's at depth. Also the total amount of total air they had was apparently just a massively guessed number so in the unlikely event it hasn't imploded air probably did run out a bit ago.

they don't even have a beacon

they could've had an electrical fire or hit a whale or whatever and done the ballast dance and emergency surfaced and been sitting under 4ft of water this whole time a quarter mile away from a ship and nobody would find them in time

the sub is painted silvery white, with no hard edges to its shape

from above the water it would very easily blend in with any reflected clouds or waves or anything, if it went through a layer of seaweed it'd just look like ocean goop

Log082 posted:

That was me:

And you are, possibly fortunately, half-wrong. It does tear apart, but if you look at the DIC images, it's tearing because the tube is collapsing in a time of about 4.5 ms, or four and a half thousandths of a second. If they were lucky enough to go out this way, they didn't suffer.

please give more cool pics from materials science studies

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

raggedphoto posted:

Seems like a waste of multiple countries time and money to keep looking for these rear end clowns, I wonder when they'll call it all off.

It's good training for the rescue crews. Gotta get in those flight/operation hours somehow. Maybe even some of it can be billed back to the company's remains after all the lawsuits.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It’s sort of amazing/humbling just how bad we are at moving in our own environments as humans. The effort it takes to go down or up reliably requires nation state backing and years of planning.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone post this banger?

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Who’s gonna give the speech announcing they’re giving up the search? And how many days of pointless searching will they do before they announce that they’re giving up?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Grey Cat posted:

E: so yeah, dead unless they're on the surface right this second, and a vehicle comes and unbolts the hatch for them to get out within that time.

The Coast Guard's official statement is that they believe oxygen would run out by 7:08 AM EST tomorrow, apparently.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Wait what happens when they have to go poop

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Sydin posted:

If they're bobbing on the surface somewhere and get found it's pretty easy, just double time a ship over, secure the sub, and pop the hatch.

gently caress, we lost the 10mm socket again!

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

You know if they want to tip that ballast they are going to have to Jump, Jump.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah the US Navy has recovered larger objects from greater depths (fighter jet and helicopter) but without any time pressure for rescue.

Also Titan apparently doesn’t have any specifically designed strong point to hook a cable to lol.

esky
Apr 15, 2003
E.

esky fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 22, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

It’s sort of amazing/humbling just how bad we are at moving in our own environments as humans. The effort it takes to go down or up reliably requires nation state backing and years of planning.

The more you learn about physics/the world/space the more that you realize there is an infinitesimally small amount of the universe that doesn't want living things dead.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Sydin posted:

The Coast Guard's official statement is that they believe oxygen would run out by 7:08 AM EST tomorrow, apparently.

Then unless I'm an idiot, which is entirely possible and plausible, cat's counter is still within 30 or so minutes of that figure.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

this story just keeps on giving

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Joke Miriam posted:

Who’s gonna give the speech announcing they’re giving up the search? And how many days of pointless searching will they do before they announce that they’re giving up?

It costs a trillion dollars for a life vest with our military. Nobody is moving a muscle.

E: unless they turn into oil

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

FirstnameLastname posted:

they could've had an electrical fire or hit a whale or whatever and done the ballast dance and emergency surfaced and been sitting under 4ft of water this whole time a quarter mile away from a ship and nobody would find them in time

from above the water it would very easily blend in with any reflected clouds or waves or anything, if it went through a layer of seaweed it'd just look like ocean goop

please give more cool pics from materials science studies

There are at this point, dozens of absolute WTF design choices that even a total ignoramus like me can spot, but why the HELL IS IT WHITE?
Paint it day-glo orange like a liferaft and you might actually have a chance, and it costs basically nothing extra .

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pookah posted:

There are at this point, dozens of absolute WTF design choices that even a total ignoramus like me can spot, but why the HELL IS IT WHITE?
Paint it day-glo orange like a liferaft and you might actually have a chance, and it costs basically nothing extra .

We know for a fact that the CEO was proudly Elon-brained so it's probably along the same lines of thought like "yellow is ugly" and "we want it to look sleek and futuristic" that led Musk to try and change the color of all the hazard/safety signs/lines/etc from reflective yellows and reds to a dull grey in the Tesla factories.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

500excf type r posted:

Holey Trinity

drat death by celery, bell pepper, onion, and garlic, nice.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

We’re actually amazing at moving in our own environments. Humans are incredible distance runners, for example. It’s just that space and the ocean aren’t our environments, those belong to terror and the orcas, respectively.

e:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sydin posted:

We know for a fact that the CEO was proudly Elon-brained so it's probably along the same lines of thought like "yellow is ugly" and "we want it to look sleek and futuristic" that led Musk to try and change the color of all the hazard/safety signs/lines/etc from reflective yellows and reds to a dull grey.

The CEO guy seems to be someone who regards planning for failure to be an admission of weakness - a extremely terrifying characteristic in someone in charge of a project with so many opportunities for critical failure.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

FirstnameLastname posted:

It's gonna be neat if that washes up on some random beach in a few years and someone finds a capsule full of billionaire mummies.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

God drat LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Im from orcaville and I say CRUSH THEM ALL