Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I didn’t realize it was out so soon. Looking forward to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

The great big blaring klaxon is that we are 4 days from release and nobody has done a preview, much less indicated they have review code.

This can often be a huge red flag... I'm gonna wait and see on this game.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
A couple days old, but since it's not posted here: the Fede Alvarez Alien movie currently filming (if it hasn't wrapped yet) won't go the Prey route and will be released in theaters next August.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thank god. I wish I could’ve seen Prey in theaters

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I wish I could buy Prey (and the Hellraiser remake) in 4K but nope, stuck on Hulu.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

I really was annoyed that wasn't put in theaters with all that scenery in it. Like, imgine putting The Predator in theaters but not Prey.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Instead of normal previews in front of the new Alien movie they should show Prey as a double feature.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

You can get marines captured and then rescue them in Aliens: Infestation for the Nintendo DS as well.

I really do need to give that game a fair shake some day. I bounced off it early on because it does that, that thing some action games do from years ago that I hate where stuff is attacking/blasting at you so early it's almost coming from off screen. Felt like I was spending the a lot of time walking forward and then crouching and firing every two seconds.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

infestation is good

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
MandaloreGaming put out a review of Dark Descent and pegged it as fun, but not groundbreaking storywise.

Seems a bit better than a lot of people probably expected. I hadn't really paid much attention to the game itself, so the finding out that the levels are as huge as they appear to be was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndt4ypHZbs4

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I will buy and play it

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Slashrat posted:

MandaloreGaming put out a review of Dark Descent and pegged it as fun, but not groundbreaking storywise.

Seems a bit better than a lot of people probably expected. I hadn't really paid much attention to the game itself, so the finding out that the levels are as huge as they appear to be was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndt4ypHZbs4

I just came here to link this review. Sounds pretty good!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will not play it. Fps only alien games baby

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I will not play it. Fps only alien games baby

Insanely wrong statement in a world where Konami's Aliens and Capcom's Aliens vs. Predator exist

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

Insanely wrong statement in a world where Konami's Aliens and Capcom's Aliens vs. Predator exist

Linn Kurosawa supremacy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Linn Kurosawa supremacy.

She was definitely the best, especially spamming her gun, but Major Dutch Schaefer was great just to make him keep picking up stuff and that "I got it!" voice sample. Second voice sample in arcades to me after Colossus' yell.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

Linn Kurosawa supremacy.
Giving her input specials and the loving hadouken charge move made her so loving fun to play.

Preds were good doing that flying kick and when you have unlimited ammo.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The predators are actually significantly better than the human characters on maxed dips- unfortunately Schaefer kinda sucks for various reasons but he still has some things he can do.

Linn's fun- she can actually cancel the reload animation on her gun and infinite jump fire if you want to take the game slowly and she has the sick air combos but she doesn't have really dumb poo poo like the predator shoryukens and jump attacks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Panzeh posted:

The predators are actually significantly better than the human characters on maxed dips- unfortunately Schaefer kinda sucks for various reasons but he still has some things he can do.

Linn's fun- she can actually cancel the reload animation on her gun and infinite jump fire if you want to take the game slowly and she has the sick air combos but she doesn't have really dumb poo poo like the predator shoryukens and jump attacks.

Yeah I love all three of them but the Predators fuckin' rule. Dutch is like, I'm very love'em or hate'em with big guy characters in beat'em ups and I just don't enjoy using that character at all.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

IGN reviewed it as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBwj3MzTWDs

They rate it a 7/10 but take into account they also rated Alien Isolation a 5/10 so they consider this even better than that which I think most people would consider a fantastic game. They mention some bugs but they are reviewing the PC version and PC games always launch buggy so I'm wondering how the console versions are. This isn't a full-priced release either and considering the huge persistent world and everything else? I think I'm pretty much sold on the game, especially after seeing some raw gameplay of a mission and just how fast and deadly a couple of xenos can be with how they dodge to get in close combat, shotguns firing and then all the screams of acid going everywhere :v:

Curious about the APC redesign though, or I wonder if it's just a different version? Probably a lot for Xenomrph to dig into :v:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

They rate it a 7/10 but take into account they also rated Alien Isolation a 5/10 so they consider this even better than that which I think most people would consider a fantastic game.

Should probably take into account that IGN has a lot of turnover and the current staff is different from the staff that was around when Isolation was reviewed. They aren’t a hive mind and we don’t know what the guy who gave this a 7 would have given Isolation.

Consensus among every review I’ve seen seems to be that it’s pretty good but very buggy and has some annoying flaws. Hopefully it can get patched up nicely.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Heads up The tutorial is pretty long and basic (oh wow I use wasd to move the camera?) so I don’t think its indicative of the rest the game. It does focus on setting the story up so cutscene heavy as well.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think that mandalore review that says 'its fine, has some issues and odd choices, doesn't do anything you haven't seen before elsewhere' feels like the ready synthesis of all views. Will probably pick it up on sale.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
7/10 seems right, but the sauce is in the immersion and atmosphere. Horror + RTS is not a combo I thought would work but it does. Needs some QOL stuff but it's pretty solid. I think a sequel is gonna be real good.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Finished the first mission are in two trips. Haven't encountered any bugs so far, aside from the tutorial hard-locking if you swap the left and right mouse button binds. One minor annoyance is the timing of when the game decides to auto-save, but it's workable so far.

Game's good, and jesus the tension rises up quick when you're deep into some hellhole, your guys are starting to panic, you got an unconscious person needing carrying and slowing you down, and a whole hive of critters are somewhere on your tail.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm not a tactics guy, but the game has some interesting concepts that I really like. However, I feel like the combat is the most lacking. I'm playing on Normal and it's stupidly easy to just get RNG'd to death and without manual saves it's kinda annoying.

My biggest issue is the presentation: the script sucks, the VAs suck and the story is just a sloppy sack of poo poo that copies every story beat from the first two films thus far. It also looks like a game from 10 years ago. It doesn't present any new ideas into the universe so it gets very "been there, done that."

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
The lack of manual saves is frustrating. It makes the gameplay more tense (you weld shut a room to rest in to save), but there are so many justified reasons to want to save that it feels like this should have been an optional difficulty setting.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

sigher posted:

I'm not a tactics guy, but the game has some interesting concepts that I really like. However, I feel like the combat is the most lacking. I'm playing on Normal and it's stupidly easy to just get RNG'd to death and without manual saves it's kinda annoying.

In the beginning Suppressive Fire seems to be the key to dealing with combat. If the aliens actually get in close it's a dice roll whether your guys come out okay, so you really want the movement speed debuff from Suppressive Fire to slow them down and give your squad more time to kill them. The tutorial didn't point it out, but the guy doing Suppressive Fire can also still move while doing it and will keep the cone pointed in the direction of the 'anchor point' you first picked for it, so you can and should use it even while your squad is on the move.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

SUNKOS posted:

Curious about the APC redesign though, or I wonder if it's just a different version? Probably a lot for Xenomrph to dig into :v:

Yeah I’m curious about this too. It’s kinda cute!

I guess they couldnt use the big one cause otherwise players would wonder why they can only deploy 4 marines?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Slashrat posted:

Finished the first mission are in two trips. Haven't encountered any bugs so far,

Just another bug hunt.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Red Rox posted:

Yeah I’m curious about this too. It’s kinda cute!

I guess they couldnt use the big one cause otherwise players would wonder why they can only deploy 4 marines?

Spoiler: You're right, and later on you get to deploy more than 4.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Baronjutter posted:

I just came here to link this review. Sounds pretty good!

Game's dope

Slashrat posted:

In the beginning Suppressive Fire seems to be the key to dealing with combat. If the aliens actually get in close it's a dice roll whether your guys come out okay, so you really want the movement speed debuff from Suppressive Fire to slow them down and give your squad more time to kill them. The tutorial didn't point it out, but the guy doing Suppressive Fire can also still move while doing it and will keep the cone pointed in the direction of the 'anchor point' you first picked for it, so you can and should use it even while your squad is on the move.

Putting up sensor fields, mines, and sentry guns helps a fuckload too, the amount of firepower you can lay down when correctly positioned is staggering

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SUNKOS posted:

IGN reviewed it as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBwj3MzTWDs

They rate it a 7/10 but take into account they also rated Alien Isolation a 5/10 so they consider this even better than that which I think most people would consider a fantastic game. They mention some bugs but they are reviewing the PC version and PC games always launch buggy so I'm wondering how the console versions are. This isn't a full-priced release either and considering the huge persistent world and everything else? I think I'm pretty much sold on the game, especially after seeing some raw gameplay of a mission and just how fast and deadly a couple of xenos can be with how they dodge to get in close combat, shotguns firing and then all the screams of acid going everywhere :v:

What the hell?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BiggerBoat posted:

What the hell?

Reasons ign might have rated Alien Isolation 5/10:

Alien too spoopy
Androids too spoopy
Scared of explosions
Still mad at William Hope for making everyone hand their ammo to Frost
Confused by someone from radio soap opera The Archers being in it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

IGN by and large has sucked poo poo for like 20 years so I wouldn't pay it any mind.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can't remember what big name corporate games review place did the review, but I recall them reviewing some horror games low because they found it too scary to play. My dude, it's a horror game.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I’ve never finished Isolation because of how frightening it is and I still consider it one of the best games I’ve ever played for that reason. An easy 9/10. Hire me IGN.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
The xeno AI is this new game seems a bit janky for me - is anyone else having issues?

Like I got the first set-piece fight with the tougher alien and he came right at me, but when he reached my squad he slowly walked around until he was behind us before he actually started to attack. By which point he was dead.

It's not a major deal but still takes me out of the game a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Red Rox posted:

The xeno AI is this new game seems a bit janky for me - is anyone else having issues?

Like I got the first set-piece fight with the tougher alien and he came right at me, but when he reached my squad he slowly walked around until he was behind us before he actually started to attack. By which point he was dead.

It's not a major deal but still takes me out of the game a bit.

The Crusher? Were you using suppressive fire? Crushers have a charge attack that forces them to move in a straight line once they start it, and if you've got them slowed down with suppressive fire, that renders them quite vulnerable