Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Is Prighozhin the only person involved in the entire Russian war effort who is aware of the concept of outside news sources or is it just that he is the only person who is not immediately killed for telling the truth? Wait, yeah, as soon as I typed that I knew how dumb a question it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1671535483535360004
If you don't want to lose more people, you could always gently caress off and go home :shrug:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Take the stuff they used to make the frogs gay, and put it in the vodka supply.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Quarex posted:

Is Prighozhin the only person involved in the entire Russian war effort who is aware of the concept of outside news sources or is it just that he is the only person who is not immediately killed for telling the truth? Wait, yeah, as soon as I typed that I knew how dumb a question it was

Terrorist Girkin too.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/AndrewPerpetua/status/1671472455028801536
Presented without comment.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wouldn't waiting for the F16s give huge gains?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

lol this sounds a lot more impressive until you realize it's just 2

Per capita it's more impressive, given Latvia's population is about 1.8 million. That's like the U.S. giving 186 helicopters (granted, rather out-of-date ones).

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I know but it is funny to me how they phrased it because from how it is written, "our entire fleet" implies more than the two choppers in the pic

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1671546878385704962
We are not Nazis, say the people who repeat everything the Nazis did

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

NoiseAnnoys posted:

playing tag is hardcore in russia

I had a friend who grew up as one of eight siblings in Pennsylvania coal country. He described a game they invented called, "swing brick", a variation on dodgeball. Tie a brick to the rope swing out back, then take turns running back and forth in front of the tree while each child in turn swung a brick at your head.

After one day playing this game, they all ended up with an egg on their forehead and one very angry Momma. Dad came home and was tasked with punishing the children. Figuring they'd learned their lesson, Dad lined them up against the bannister and clapped his hands very hard behind each child, coaching them to cry out in surprise with each clap.

I hope this anecdote goes some way towards explaining the situation we find ourselves in now.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 21, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Der Kyhe posted:

Aren't they attacking head-first into the most fortified part of the front? Its going to be a meatgrinder unless Russians just decide to run away, which they aren't doing as it seems.

They've been poking a lot of different areas across a very long front. Which, yes, includes a lot of fortified areas and it's not going to be cheap any way you slice it, but they are doing their best to try to find/create a soft spot.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/AlchevskUA/status/1671246867034779650

quote:

These are likely documents of the 136th Brigade of the Russian Federation, found in the Zaporizhzhia sector.

They contain, in particular, data on the combat strength and armored vehicles, and, accordingly, on the losses of the Russian brigade.

From the burnt papers, it is clear that the occupiers' units are at least one-third understaffed.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

The constant need to prove that you’re the manliest manly man that ever manned is so alien to me. :psyduck:
What went wrong that these people are so loving insecure?

1. The cult of tradition. “One has only to look at the syllabus of every fascist movement to find the major traditionalist thinkers. The Nazi gnosis was nourished by traditionalist, syncretistic, occult elements.”

2. The rejection of modernism. “The Enlightenment, the Age of Reason, is seen as the beginning of modern depravity. In this sense Ur-Fascism can be defined as irrationalism.”

3. The cult of action for action’s sake. “Action being beautiful in itself, it must be taken before, or without, any previous reflection. Thinking is a form of emasculation.”

4. Disagreement is treason. “The critical spirit makes distinctions, and to distinguish is a sign of modernism. In modern culture the scientific community praises disagreement as a way to improve knowledge.”

5. Fear of difference. “The first appeal of a fascist or prematurely fascist movement is an appeal against the intruders. Thus Ur-Fascism is racist by definition.”

6. Appeal to social frustration. “One of the most typical features of the historical fascism was the appeal to a frustrated middle class, a class suffering from an economic crisis or feelings of political humiliation, and frightened by the pressure of lower social groups.”

7. The obsession with a plot. “Thus at the root of the Ur-Fascist psychology there is the obsession with a plot, possibly an international one. The followers must feel besieged.”

8. The enemy is both strong and weak. “By a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak.”

9. Pacifism is trafficking with the enemy. “For Ur-Fascism there is no struggle for life but, rather, life is lived for struggle.”

10. Contempt for the weak. “Elitism is a typical aspect of any reactionary ideology.”

11. Everybody is educated to become a hero. “In Ur-Fascist ideology, heroism is the norm. This cult of heroism is strictly linked with the cult of death.”

12. Machismo and weaponry. “Machismo implies both disdain for women and intolerance and condemnation of nonstandard sexual habits, from chastity to homosexuality.”

13. Selective populism. “There is in our future a TV or Internet populism, in which the emotional response of a selected group of citizens can be presented and accepted as the Voice of the People.”

14. Ur-Fascism speaks Newspeak. “All the Nazi or Fascist schoolbooks made use of an impoverished vocabulary, and an elementary syntax, in order to limit the instruments for complex and critical reasoning.”

Can’t remember what this list is about again but in completely unrelated news I am being reliably informed that NATO is both too strong and yet also decadent and weak.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
See, I think that while all right wing military dictatorships are at least allied with fascism, not all of them are technically fash themselves. (I'll make the joke about "its only fascism from the fasces part of Italy, otherwise its just sparkling authoritarianism" so no one else has to) See, especially, Franco, who did not burn out in an ever expanding militarist insanity and just sat there and squatted on his feudal demesne.

I really think fascism is defined by its cult of speed. the need to be faster, flashier, and more catastrophic. If a right wing movement doesn't have that urge to burn itself and everything around it, its probably just defacto conservatism ala the catholic church.

The weird part is when you have a conservative element that makes use of the fascists but doesn't want the fash anywhere near the top rungs of power, which is when you get this incredible schizophrenic dance as people who want to maintain a gangster-grifter status quo are inherently endangered by militarist psychos but need those psychos to keep the entire house of cards from collapsing.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 21, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

That's Umberto Eco's 14 points of fascism.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

zone posted:

no that was Mr Teatime.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

zone posted:

I may have been slightly saucy about not knowing what it was.

tiaz posted:

no that was Mr Teatime.

That’s the 14 points of facetiousness, different list.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 21, 2023

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Ronwayne posted:

The weird part is when you have a conservative element that makes use of the fascists but doesn't want the fash anywhere near the top rungs of power, which is when you get this incredible schizophrenic dance as people who want to maintain a gangster-grifter status quo are inherently endangered by militarist psychos but need those psychos to keep the entire house of cards from collapsing.

If this lasts long enough, the grifters age out of the group and are slowly replaced by true believers who don't realize leaders aren't supposed to drink the cool-aid.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1671473983298891777

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/AlexRaptor94/status/1671597005590900736

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Can't park there mate.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Vaginaface posted:

Is there a legends compilation thread on Brown Moses for those of us who missed it?

In brief, the dude started out posting in one of the mid-east threads here on SA back when the Syrian civil war was heating up, basically using google maps and facebook to find out stuff like where airstrikes and chemical attacks were launched from. Eventually this led to him starting Bellingcat as a legitimate career, using open source intel to challenge claims by various dictators and armies. Like, the dude for real identified the FSB agents behind the Scripal poisoning down to their personal phone numbers. He managed to prove not only that MH17 was shot down by russian-backed separatists in Donbas, but identify the individual Buk launcher and crew that did it.

Now, Bellingcat is getting funds from some american pro-democracy organization. This, coupled with them going after guys like Putin and Assad, has the more unhinged posters on this forum gunning for Brown Moses. They briefly managed to get him banned for "doxxing" the boy-genius who leaked US military secrets on discord, though that ban was later reversed.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

poverty goat posted:

Just give Ukraine the gay bomb already

gay bomb launch... detected

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

He also incorrectly called out Caro as being dead after it was discovered he'd last been seen in a Syrian prison. To be fair though, nobody thought he'd survive and it was a hell of a surprise when it was later revealed Caro had survived and been repatriated.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

how does this happen these vehicles are not small :psyduck:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lammasu posted:

I don't see why Russia keeps bombing. Even besides the expense, aren't they embarrassed by how ineffective they are?

It keeps the anti-air stuff away from the front lines.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

how does this happen these vehicles are not small :psyduck:

afaik that unit came under artillery fire, the tank driver reversed onto the MRAP by accident trying to avoid getting hit

zone fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 21, 2023

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Carth Dookie posted:

He also incorrectly called out Caro as being dead after it was discovered he'd last been seen in a Syrian prison. To be fair though, nobody thought he'd survive and it was a hell of a surprise when it was later revealed Caro had survived and been repatriated.

I think anyone watching the Caro saga unfold had their money on "dude's loving dead, he just doesn't know it yet" from the moment he showed up in Libya, so can't really fault BM there.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mr. Sunshine posted:

... though that ban was later reversed.

Glad to know it got reversed, only knew of him originally from the thread on SA covering the Milly Dowler/phone tapping scandal years ago.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Just Another Lurker posted:

Glad to know it got reversed, only knew of him originally from the thread on SA covering the Milly Dowler/phone tapping scandal years ago.

It was reversed only under the condition he never speak of his work again on SA. :dumb:

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

If I recall from that whole saga, there were multiple reports of people seeing his dead body etc so the general view was that he was dead.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

zone posted:

It was reversed only under the condition he never speak of his work again on SA. :dumb:

Well. :silent:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
has america lost the war yet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 21, 2023

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
gently caress off

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Rectal Death Adept posted:

You mean like the proverbial civil war it has with itself amongst an armed and perpetually perturbed population of divided denizens? Yes

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 21, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Rectal Death Adept posted:

:frogout:

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

In peace time calamities like this would boost morale. Hopefully they can still find some humor in it.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1671659502888796161

Aww bless

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Seems like a little bit of a narrative split here I thought the counter offensive was already done I thought Ukraine had lost like 15 million people and Russia was going to hold the defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Sure pal, you'll crush them after you couldn't even beat two brigades, already lost 400 or 500 artillery pieces in two weeks, ditto in armored vehicles, nearly 150 tanks, and blackpilled Girkin so hard he's wondering if Putin even has anything to do with the war any more. May the cope be with you.