Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think playing SMRPG for the first time with the remake will be a treat. It's kind of an in-between of the Final Fantasy games Square made at the time and the more reflex-focused combat of Paper Mario and M&L. Really, the game's biggest success was being the first Mario game to really give Bowser a personality, and also being the first real game where Mario and Bowser team up. Likewise, it's nice to actually have Peach as a playable character and be actively involved in the plot. Mallow and Geno are also fine characters, though I think Geno is overrated and Mallow a bit underrated.

There's enough cool moments that if you haven't played it before, I'd recommend checking it out, whether the original or the remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I think playing SMRPG for the first time with the remake will be a treat. It's kind of an in-between of the Final Fantasy games Square made at the time and the more reflex-focused combat of Paper Mario and M&L. Really, the game's biggest success was being the first Mario game to really give Bowser a personality, and also being the first real game where Mario and Bowser team up. Likewise, it's nice to actually have Peach as a playable character and be actively involved in the plot. Mallow and Geno are also fine characters, though I think Geno is overrated and Mallow a bit underrated.

There's enough cool moments that if you haven't played it before, I'd recommend checking it out, whether the original or the remake.

Yeah, it's kind of weird to think of just how much of what is Bowser's personality now comes from SMRPG. It's like how Shy Guys and Birdo came from SMB2 which wasn't even a Mario game in Japan.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
SMB2 is the best one, and I will go to my grave arguing this. :colbert:

Mega64 posted:

:hai: Can't wait!

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

No, also from the first game.

Ai no Uta was never in the first game though? It was used in marketing but not in the game itself

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

beer gas canister posted:

Single stick shooter

Hm, not my favorite that.

Mega64 posted:

If not for Zelda... Still I think I'll make it priority to finish it on the SNES Mini. What's the grinding situation like? Say if I grind for new weapons in every town, will that be enough?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

https://youtu.be/rQ6G_cbdEx8

Let’s stroll down memory lane by watching the insane Pikmin 2 ads for America, followed by the incredibly charming Japanese ads.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If not for Zelda... Still I think I'll make it priority to finish it on the SNES Mini. What's the grinding situation like? Say if I grind for new weapons in every town, will that be enough?

There's no grinding to speak of, enemies appear on the overworld instead of random encounters

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Infinitum posted:

That dude is legit insane on how much random knowledge he has.

He's autistic, it's his only superpower

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
eShop has the direct stuff now.

Pikmin 1+2 Bundle is $50
Wario Ware is also $50
Super Mario RPG and SMB Wonder are $60
also MSG Vol 1. collection is $60

The Game Voucher got updated to redeem for SMB Wonder, SMRPG, and Warioware: Move it.

Might as well get a voucher again.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There's no grinding to speak of, enemies appear on the overworld instead of random encounters

Someone mentioned a difficulty spike at some point. Random battles isn't grinding, grinding is when you're forced to fight battles to get stronger to get through content since the game doesn't scale well-enough on its own. Presumably then if I were to fight every monster on a screen as advance that'd do it, or is that unnecessary and overkill?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's a pretty nice mechanic where the overworld map random encounters show up as regular enemies, and if you get a star you can rush through them, and as you touch the enemies you just kill them, get the EXP without entering a battle. Once the star runs out, you go through all the level ups. There's a few places where you can do this, save, reload, and the star and enemies come back so you can quickly level up a bunch.

In general the game is easy, and will help you by giving you free items (there's some consumables that deal mega damage), when you use them you'll "get a freebie" and it won't deplete your inventory.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
My number one question concerning Mario RPG remake changes is did they rename Neosquid

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I just got to the wind temple

Game of the decade

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Someone mentioned a difficulty spike at some point. Random battles isn't grinding, grinding is when you're forced to fight battles to get stronger to get through content since the game doesn't scale well-enough on its own. Presumably then if I were to fight every monster on a screen as advance that'd do it, or is that unnecessary and overkill?

Yeah that's what I mean, of you killed every enemy on a screen you'd be set. Which maybe sounds like grinding but that's how I play normal Mario games anyway.

Speedruns exist of the game where they don't really fight any enemies at all and just use strategic power stars at certain locations for all the levels they need. This is very difficult, but if you can beat the game skipping combat, then you don't need to find to beat it comfortably

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Super-NintendoUser posted:

There's a pretty nice mechanic where the overworld map random encounters show up as regular enemies, and if you get a star you can rush through them, and as you touch the enemies you just kill them, get the EXP without entering a battle. Once the star runs out, you go through all the level ups. There's a few places where you can do this, save, reload, and the star and enemies come back so you can quickly level up a bunch.

In general the game is easy, and will help you by giving you free items (there's some consumables that deal mega damage), when you use them you'll "get a freebie" and it won't deplete your inventory.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Yeah that's what I mean, of you killed every enemy on a screen you'd be set. Which maybe sounds like grinding but that's how I play normal Mario games anyway.

Speedruns exist of the game where they don't really fight any enemies at all and just use strategic power stars at certain locations for all the levels they need. This is very difficult, but if you can beat the game skipping combat, then you don't need to find to beat it comfortably

Gotcha. I'll keep that all in mind!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i kinda skipped most of the direct but its neat that pikmin 1 & 2 are getting switch releases. I'm really bad at those games but I honestly prefer them to pikmin 3 because the writing and tone are better. I like that pikmin 1 has an explicit fail condition, it makes the game more tense. I also like that pikmin 2 is just like "lol gently caress you here's an unkillable water monster who can and will massacre your forces." It's good!! More games should be actively spiteful, it makes winning more satisfying!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah I don't remember a difficulty spike in super Mario RPG it's fairly forgiving as long as you get into the occasional random encounter

Pretty sure at the end I was mostly just hitting attack on every single random encounter or my strongest spells + sp recovery items as needed when fighting bosses bored out of my mind. Presentation is top notch and the music is incredible though

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I wish this put an end to the "Nintendo will abandon their largest user base next year" circlejerk that keeps happening. I mean we'll 100% get some sort of 4 k Switch but there's no loving way they burn their entire audience for no discernible reason.

They're rolling in cash, and first party exclusives from a half decade ago are still on sales charts.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they will abandon that user base it’s just a matter of when. Though I don’t know what abandon means in this context

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think Mario RPG also had a level cap of like, 30 max. Which no one on earth should ever hit, because level 16 or so is already way more than enough. There's never ever a reason to grind. It is literally the Mario of RPGs.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

With nintendo it's usually a case of their userbase abandoning them when the appeal of the latest gimmick wears off and/or they put out a piece of crap

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
SMRPG's biggest failure is there was never a sequel. No, Paper Mario does not count. :colbert:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

if nintendo finally releases wind waker hd on switch and does a remaster of the gamecube animal crossing (with the calender fixed), i can finally let my gamecube rest easy

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FlapYoJacks posted:

SMRPG's biggest failure is there was never a sequel. No, Paper Mario does not count. :colbert:

smrpg is perfect and wraps up perfectly. not every game needs a sequel and no way a sequel could hold up to the first game anyway.

now, a spinoff game starring booster on the other hand...

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I wish this put an end to the "Nintendo will abandon their largest user base next year" circlejerk that keeps happening. I mean we'll 100% get some sort of 4 k Switch but there's no loving way they burn their entire audience for no discernible reason.

Thinking they'll release a new console 7 years after the previous one is hardly a circlejerk nor inscrutable.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
So hyped for wario ware move it. Hope it can reach the heights of twisted, the trailer suggests that it's hitting the mark in all regards

Every previous console Wario ware game always had some compromise or was in a very different format compared to the portable ones. Haven't played the latest one on switch partially because it deviated from the formula, does that hit the same highs as twisted, touched or the og?

November is quite a ways out I'm craving some Wario

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 21, 2023

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
SMRPG is like ten / fifteen hours to 100%, right?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Coffee Jones posted:

Close to it. It's a pretty breezy JRPG.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Coffee Jones posted:

depends on if you want to get good enough at super jumps to get the super suit

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Narcissus1916 posted:

They're rolling in cash, and first party exclusives from a half decade ago are still on sales charts.

It's entirely coming from fail journalists, which in turn is history repeating itself as the same exact thing happened with the Wii / Wii HD. They get this wrong idea in their head and refuse to let it go, even twisting contradictory news to fit their narrative

I saw this headline today from a website I generally like that essentially said "well, this Direct was pretty soft, so that must mean they're scraping the bottom of the barrel and Switch 2 is any day now". jesus christ they're so dumb!

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I've watched that Mario RPG trailer probably 15 times now. Those renditions of the two field tunes in there are insanely good. I can't wait to hear the rest of the soundtrack!

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I didn't play the LA remake but did it get any additional content? Wondering if we're going to get any in this

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Big Bizness posted:

I've watched that Mario RPG trailer probably 15 times now. Those renditions of the two field tunes in there are insanely good. I can't wait to hear the rest of the soundtrack!

It helps that the original artist on the soundtrack is back for this!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Does anyone play Neverwinter? My kid has started a game on the xbox and I know there's a way to link an account to that so your purchases can follow you, but is there a way to do that on the Switch version? He spent $4 to be a dragonborn and seems to think this is the be-all, end-all of the game. he spent 2 days basically sitting on the couch playing and i'd like to be able to send him to his room to play instead.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I said come in! posted:

It helps that the original artist on the soundtrack is back for this!

Yes indeed! Yoko Shimomura is a genius. Her soundtrack for the game is so inspired and filled with such good vibes and joy. Really curious to hear Barrel Volcano as it's such a mixup in the OST, incorporating that phat synth bassline.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Big Bizness posted:

I didn't play the LA remake but did it get any additional content? Wondering if we're going to get any in this

Some half arsed dungeon maker thing

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Big Bizness posted:

There was a "dungeon maker" feature but it was very limited (you could just glue premade rooms together) and I think that was about it asides some minor QOL stuff

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
would be darkly funny if the super mario rpg remaster doesnt release in australia

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
Mother 3 remaster only in Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION Vol.1 posted:

Important Information Regarding the Game (Nintendo Switch™ Version)
To enjoy all available content, game data must be downloaded (free).

Required Space
Physical Version : 24.1GB ( *Front loaded onto cartridge 2.4GB )
Bonus Content : 1.0GB + 30 GB for bonus videos

What's the point in buying physical if I have to download 90% of the game anyways?