Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

VROOM VROOM posted:

great progress made on this page, nice discourse everyone

The Raid was made for 1 million dollars with fake guns, CGI blood, and real stunts. Iko Uwais really stabbed all of those guys and tackled a guy out of a window onto a balcony 5 stories down, and you know what, it was worth it

I mean Tony Jaa didn't really know about wire work when he started and thought people really did the crazy stunts he saw so for The Protector he trained himself to do all the batshit jumps in the one chase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MrMojok posted:

IMO just create robots to do all the stunts

Four years ago this avenue was looking pretty good but I haven't seen anything since:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ950ywJy0M

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

you compared practical effects to hitting your child

still reeling from this lol

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Four years ago this avenue was looking pretty good but I haven't seen anything since:

Holy poo poo, I was joking and I had no idea about this. That’s amazing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

they already use it at Avengers Campus in Disney California Adventure.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So ah.... anyone looking forward to Mission Impossible? I hear that's got some good action.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Narcissus1916 posted:

So ah.... anyone looking forward to Mission Impossible? I hear that's got some good action.

It happens in waves where I just completely forget it is coming out and then I remember and get hyped. Supposed to be doing a series rewatch with my wife but it's kind of stalled lately so hopefully I can get it back on track because I really want to see Fallout again before the DR comes out.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Narcissus1916 posted:

the stunts are too real

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
If Tom Cruise uses any safety devices it ruins my immersion.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Tom Cruise's massive success with "I am actually doing this! Yes we did this practical!" shows that these bloodless digital decisions do have a cost on the audience and that people are looking for some sense of authenticity from their blockbuster action movies.

I actually do think we're very close (as in a few decades) to motion-captured robots and AI fakery removing actual humans from a lot of this stuff, it will be imperceptible. Tom Cruise may just go down as the last of the great "real" blockbuster actors/stuntmen.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'd also argue that mission impossible is that rare film franchise that has on the whole gotten better and better.

Mission Impossible 1: more thriller than action movie and hilariously 90s.

MI-2: John Woo does Hollywood should have printed money and critical acclaim. Instead, it takes for-loving-ever to get the ball rolling. Also really ugly gender politics at play here too; the Bond girl ripoff feels super sexist and way way worse than I remember.

MI-3: JJ Abrams does good stuff. Action scenes are kind've a mess but Hoffman's performance is loving great. Abrams also gives Ethan Hunt a character with real traits and flaws! Mind-blowing.

Ghost Protocol: Super inventive and fun action set pieces. I adore the Kremlin scenes almost as much as the iconic Burj Khalifa sequence. The creative team also remembered that Ethan Hunt should have a team instead of a One Man Army. The actual team isn't all that great, but this thread is picked up by...

Rogue Nation: Under-rated. There's a classic spy set-up at an opera that kicks the everloving poo poo out of most Bond movies. There are sniper rifle flutes! As a whole, this hangs together way better than it has any right to. Tom Cruise has a reputation for being an egomaniac but he seems much more aware than other action stars. This film regularly kicks he crap out of Ethan, and I love that his team members actually get to contribute and be more than an Ethan Hunt cheering section.

Fallout: One of the best action films of the past decade, possibly longer?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

the behind the scenes trailer came out and it was just laying out an insane stunt (cruise veering and drifting through the tight streets of Rome as his co-worker flails around with one hand handcuffed). And gently caress, it worked! I'm in!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcusKsX10Xo

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
M:I 1 is the best one but otherwise yep

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Shageletic posted:

the behind the scenes trailer came out and it was just laying out an insane stunt (cruise veering and drifting through the tight streets of Rome as his co-worker flails around with one hand handcuffed). And gently caress, it worked! I'm in!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcusKsX10Xo

Tom Cruise saying "we shot it practical. We're doing it right." and me giving the RRR two thumbs up reaction.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Tom Cruise's massive success with "I am actually doing this! Yes we did this practical!" shows that these bloodless digital decisions do have a cost on the audience and that people are looking for some sense of authenticity from their blockbuster action movies.

Outside of film nerds nobody really cares. He does some of the stunts, and then some of it is composited and it's nearly impossible to tell where it's done.

Like Parasite was shot in a CG house and nobody noticed. For the most part you only notice CG if they didn't give the fx company enough time.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 21, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Would you believe, I’ve never seen a single Mission: Impossible film.

I’ve seen TONS of behind the scenes stuff showing Cruz doing this crazy poo poo, but I’ve never seen one of the movies.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ptuto.tv regularly does MI marathons, it's how I rewatched MI2 for the first time since theaters. It's a lot better than my impression back then. Cruise's hair still looks terrible in it tho.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Well you know what to do.

I'd skip the second one, but none of them are really necessary to watch beforehand. They're pretty much stand-alones. Which is cool.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shageletic posted:

I'd skip the second one, but none of them are really necessary to watch beforehand.

Eh. Rogue Nation leads pretty directly into Fallout.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Timby posted:

Eh. Rogue Nation leads pretty directly into Fallout.

Honestly forgot what happened at the end there. Fair enough.

I know it would disturb the how smoothly these things come out but I kinda wish we got to see other directors take a wack at this property. Brian De Palma, John Woo, JJ Abrams, Brad Bird, then Mcquarie is a fun batch of directors with very different strengths and weaknesses which was fun.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah McQuarrie became Cruise's guy and we lost something.

I think Ghost Protocol is probably my favorite one. I actually like MI3 a lot too, just because Hoffman's dead-eye psycho bit and physicality is so entertaining.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I love the rock climbing scene in mission impossible 2 and the end where Cruise is running around backflip kicking people in slow motion. The rest of the movie is awful and yeah super sexist

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

I mean Tony Jaa didn't really know about wire work when he started and thought people really did the crazy stunts he saw so for The Protector he trained himself to do all the batshit jumps in the one chase

Lol that rules

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I feel like 2 is required watching just for anyone watching the other movies and wondering "this mask tech seems pretty OP, why not use it more often?"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's pretty funny that in two of the last three movies they were like "oh poo poo we were gonna use the masks but then our mask machine broke, gotta improvise"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol that rules

probably means Ong Bak.

Protecter is the one with the crazy oner staircase scene(originally Tom Yung Gong)

also he didn't know about speeding up footage so he is that fast.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Well, it looks like Fallout and Rogue Nation are available through my cable’s on-demand. So I’m starting Rogue Nation now.

e: and let me add, it’s off to one hell of a start :)

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 22, 2023

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

probably means Ong Bak.

Protecter is the one with the crazy oner staircase scene(originally Tom Yung Gong)

also he didn't know about speeding up footage so he is that fast.

God my brain, yeah it was Ong Bak. Movie just absolutely rules, has some very abrupt shifts in tone but the action scenes are fantastic

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 22, 2023

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Yeah McQuarrie became Cruise's guy and we lost something.

I think Ghost Protocol is probably my favorite one. I actually like MI3 a lot too, just because Hoffman's dead-eye psycho bit and physicality is so entertaining.

Ghost Protocol was when the franchise turned into something really special.

What struck me was how in the suspense sequences, right at the moment when other moves would give the audience some relief, MI would throw Ethan a curveball that made things much worse. And things only got worse, and there was never an easy solution. When Ethan's shoe fell off on the Burj Kalif, I thought, "this move gets it."

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

B-Rock452 posted:

God my brain, yeah it was Omg Bak. Movie just absolutely rules, has some very abrupt shifts in tone but the action scenes are fantastic

Yeah. One of the reason for the crazy hairstyles in the movie(like the bar pitfight scene) is that the stuntment are all wearing wigs on top of padding because Jaa is kicking them in the head.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
See safety protocols work

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Jaxyon posted:

Ong Bak.
Lol, I heard about this movie someplace, probably here, and ordered the VCDs from Thailand. I had just moved in with this girl* and when I got a package with VCDs from Thailand she made goddamn sure I put it in the player immediately in front of her.

*now wife

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Well, it looks like Fallout and Rogue Nation are available through my cable’s on-demand. So I’m starting Rogue Nation now.

e: and let me add, it’s off to one hell of a start :)

awesome! let us know how you like it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jaxyon posted:

If Tom Cruise uses any safety devices it ruins my immersion.

Can you tell me what your position is what you think films should do

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tom Cruise is 60 years old and has the cardio levels of someone half his age.

Dude LOVES to run in his movies.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Shageletic posted:

awesome! let us know how you like it.

It was great! I think my favorite sequence was the opera scene, but I greatly enjoyed the whole thing.

Left me wanting more, so I’m going to watch Fallout next.

I also see I could start a free trial of Paramount + to watch the rest of them.

I’ve always like Philip Seymour Hoffman, but I’ve never seen him play a bad guy, and that sounds really intriguing. I think that one is MI3?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Hoffman is the best thing about 3, because JJ Abrams came from TV and the action shows it - it all feels a bit 'small', especially compared to the insane setpieces in the other movies. (And having your main villain die by being randomly hit by a truck out of nowhere like it's Final Destination is weak.)

4 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 3 > 2. Even though 1 did Jim Phelps dirty (see my av).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

One of us! One of us!

Glad to see that a random MI movie is good enough to hook someone fresh to the material

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I agree with everyone that MI:2 is the weakest, but it's still good and it exists in the (then rapidly diminishing) Woo Zone. It just doesn't quite come together, but if you go into it with the mindset that it's going to be ridiculous, that John Woo put his stamp all over it even though that stamp was starting to get dated, you'll enjoy it.

I think it also suffered from being very self-aware and goofy after the first movie (then the ONLY other movie in the franchise) was a pretty po-faced spy thriller with one banger of a closing action scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

Can you tell me what your position is what you think films should do

Use the most safe ways possible to do dangerous work and stunts.

I don't care about real vs CGI blood if the digital guns are categorically safer.