Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm honestly astonished there isn't somebody selling a demilitarized Stryker or some poo poo. Maybe it's too hard to convince regulators to approve it as a light truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

I'm honestly astonished there isn't somebody selling a demilitarized Stryker or some poo poo. Maybe it's too hard to convince regulators to approve it as a light truck

Back in the SUV boom of the late 90s Benz was going to sell a Unimoog to consumers but they shelved that because it was excessive. A consumer-targeted Unimoog would 100% sell like hotcakes today

Apr 7, 2003

take the tristar off and smack an eagle on this baby and fifty year old guys with lovely facial hair would be mortgaging their kids for it

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

In 2008-09 when gas prices went apeshit, people got out of trucks and SUVs and got into Corollas and Insights and Priuses. Gas-efficient cars have been so stigmatized since then, and truck culture has gotten so integral to the American self-image, that this time around they just flipped credit cards and went on the news to complain about how Joe Biden made them poor.

would you rather buy a corolla for 25 grand or a f-10000 for 40 grand that's 70% off and with assurances from the government that they're gonna lower gas prices or die trying

Apr 7, 2003

I'd rather buy the Corolla personally

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I would simply ride my bicycle

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

In 2008-09 when gas prices went apeshit, people got out of trucks and SUVs and got into Corollas and Insights and Priuses. Gas-efficient cars have been so stigmatized since then, and truck culture has gotten so integral to the American self-image, that this time around they just flipped credit cards and went on the news to complain about how Joe Biden made them poor.

I think a lot of this is marketing around EVs since then. In 08 they existed but it was rare to see a Tesla Roadster, so if you wanted fuel efficiency you got a small car or a Prius.

Now, not only are EV sports cars normal, but EV SUVs are close to normal and EV giant trucks are coming online. So if you're concerned about fuel economy, great news , here's a beast that doesn't guzzle gas.

Plus, theres quite frankly been a lot of improvements in gas engine tech anyways. The ford ranger that debuted, what, 5 years ago? gets 25 highway, and so does the f150 now. That's about as good as a Ford fusion sedan from a decade earlier before the gas price shock.

There's just way more room now to find acceptable mpg while increasing the size of your vehicle.

Apr 7, 2003

Gosh, imagine the sort of mileage a normal-sized vehicle could get with all these technological advances

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah this is a great example of how new technologies that are supposedly going to be the solution to climate change are just resulting in people consuming more while co2 emissions remain on their current trajectory.

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:42 on Jun 21, 2023

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I'd rather buy the Corolla personally

guilty of wrongthink

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I dreamt that I bought a midsized pickup and let my friend drive it. He had to slam on the brakes to a dead stop in the middle of an intersection to avoid hitting a car that was turning left with no room to spare.

I don't even have a driver's license anymore why the gently caress are they invading my dreams??

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

does this guy think he's stumbled on some secret conspiracy? the whole point is to make walking and biking more convenient than driving. the benefit from that is you get places designed for humans and not for personal vehicles and everything that entails.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

spacemang_spliff posted:

does this guy think he's stumbled on some secret conspiracy? the whole point is to make walking and biking more convenient than driving. the benefit from that is you get places designed for humans and not for personal vehicles and everything that entails.

Look, buddy. My grandmother is 108 years old and has no feet. If she can't drive her jeep grand cherokee directly into the snack aisle of her local kroger then she is being deprived of her god given right to buy family sized bags of tostitos - which is exactly how the holocaust started.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I just got off the bus at my stop downtown today when I saw a giant Escalade turn right while a man in a motorized wheelchair was trying to cross with the walk signal and came within a foot of running him over. I wish the crosswalks were all-way so cars aren't even moving when people are crossing the street.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

spacemang_spliff posted:

does this guy think he's stumbled on some secret conspiracy?

Wait til you hear how they feel about walkable cities

Apr 7, 2003

Lacrosse posted:

I just got off the bus at my stop downtown today when I saw a giant Escalade turn right while a man in a motorized wheelchair was trying to cross with the walk signal and came within a foot of running him over. I wish the crosswalks were all-way so cars aren't even moving when people are crossing the street.

Twenty minutes ago I saw a ped nearly get creamed on a three lane road. Flashing ped lights and everything, mid-block crossing with a beg button. Center lane guy just kept going when the other two lanes stopped.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Back in the SUV boom of the late 90s Benz was going to sell a Unimoog to consumers but they shelved that because it was excessive. A consumer-targeted Unimoog would 100% sell like hotcakes today

The poor, poor persecuted TRUKK owners https://www.canadiancontractor.ca/canadian-contractor/whats-unimog-contractor-confiscated/1003273923/

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

fermun posted:

the official sfmta plan at the transition points is that cyclists will stop, get off their bikes, wait for a light change to walk their bikes to the side and then transition to the right side bike lanes. what will really happen is cyclists will have to cross across a lane of traffic when they transition to or from the center bike lane to the right side bike lane

lmao are you loving kidding

this is my neighborhood, i used to use the old lanes all the time. this new poo poo is a turn lane doubling as a cyclist trap.

here's a thread and article that's growing my anger today

https://twitter.com/CriticalMassSF/status/1671582500005748736

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I saw a funny move today of:

Someone with the right turn signal on straddling the middle and left turn lane effectively blocking both then they did turn left when the light changed.

I absolutely couldn't figure out how they landed in that particular position as it wasnt like there were any really awkward pull outs for stores or whatever in that spot.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

one extra gently caress you to our heroes in the fire department, and L O L at the planned posts being spaced one hundred loving feet apart. just say it's a turning and parking lane! admit it!

eta: noted downthread, the plans are for posts 10-20 feet apart

https://twitter.com/CriticalMassSF/status/1670876779161198598?s=20

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 22:40 on Jun 21, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Doc Hawkins posted:

one extra gently caress you to our heroes in the fire department, and L O L at the planned posts being spaced one hundred loving feet apart. just say it's a turning and parking lane! admit it!

trevorreznik posted:

On the plus side, no one is gonna double park in the middle of the road

But yeah the whole thought exercise if what if bare minimum piece of paint, but in middle rather than gutter full of snow/water/doors/loading trucks

I sure got hoisted quickly

New idea: jersey barriers on both sides of the bike lane, and also right down the middle so no one can drive in it. just tons of barriers, everywhere. mix it up with some bollards so that the dots and dashes spell out morse code.

trevorreznik has issued a correction as of 21:44 on Jun 21, 2023

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

One problem I've seen with taking space on a road and 'separating' it using concrete or plastic barriers is that all of the poo poo debris that cars generate (bolts, spark plugs, broken glass etc.) end up collecting and accumulating in the bike lane because it's 'protected' from the cleaning action of hundreds of car tires and inaccessible to any kind of street sweeping truck. No a problem for entirely dedicated cycleways that are totally separate from the road as bicycles don't generate tons of crap to accumulate.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

that's the photo to use. notice the pavement which disappears every few yards. imagine these streets when it's busy, it's fun

https://twitter.com/KnutsfordNews/status/1671495824055099393

they tried to ban cars from this road some years ago but the local insist on driving their Bentley Bentaygas over every inch of the town, so get hosed everyone else

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Blackhawk posted:

One problem I've seen with taking space on a road and 'separating' it using concrete or plastic barriers is that all of the poo poo debris that cars generate (bolts, spark plugs, broken glass etc.) end up collecting and accumulating in the bike lane because it's 'protected' from the cleaning action of hundreds of car tires and inaccessible to any kind of street sweeping truck. No a problem for entirely dedicated cycleways that are totally separate from the road as bicycles don't generate tons of crap to accumulate.

Here in Victoria there are special bike-lane street cleaners/snow plows that are narrower and handle the separated bike lanes. It was really funny hearing all the drivers moan last time it snowed cause the bike lanes got cleared almost immediately while the roads were still poo poo, lmao

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

that's supposed to be temporary due to SFMTA not ordering the posts until construction had already begun, posts are supposed to eventually be every 20 feet in most areas and every 10 feet on 2 busier blocks, but the entire construction timeline was supposed to be 8 weeks which should have meant it was done like a week or two ago, so we'll see how long it takes them to actually do that, if they ever do.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Square Peg posted:

Here in Victoria there are special bike-lane street cleaners/snow plows that are narrower and handle the separated bike lanes. It was really funny hearing all the drivers moan last time it snowed cause the bike lanes got cleared almost immediately while the roads were still poo poo, lmao

That owns. It doesn't snow here and I hardly see a regular-sized street sweeper, I've never seen anything made for cleaning the separated cycleways and by the state of some of them I can easily imagine that nothing exists to do it. Because 'building' the cycleway is the important part, whether it's actually usable and maintained is entirely unimportant from a politician optics and box-ticking point of view.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Held my 2nd bike maintenance event at work in less than 2 weeks.

Showed folks why cleaning is important, introduced them to RnR Gold Lube. A ton of fun to empower folks and show them how easy bike maintenance is. One sad part was I forgot my tire pump, and a kid came up to us to see if we could pump up his tires. I’m so sorry, dawg!

Bikes rule and are fun. Couldn’t do a dumbass car clinic as a group, easily. We serviced 6 or so bikes today within 3 hours. Feeling good!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
^^ hell yeah

Lent a bike I had on hand to a visiting coworker and she rode it all over town and said it was a great way to visit!

I'm volunteering at the local coop whenever they hold the next orientation and should be fun trying to help people out getting their bikes working.

Bikes rule. Had to go pick the lent out bike up by car because I missed my bus due to the bus locater showing the bus 5 minutes to the stop when it had already gone by. Got honked at while driving by someone who sped up behind me as I was trying to parallel park and I just couldn't get to the parking spot anymore. Went around the corner and parked and the person yelled something unintelligible out the window. Driving blows, but I'm already pretty numb to driver aggression from riding bikes in the city that that a childish tantrum from a driver is not going to phase me

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

a biker yelled at me today because i was running on the bike path

but the sidewalk was closed for blocks and pedestrians were directed onto the bike path with signage and barricades

i'm sorry bike man, the city should have closed a lane of traffic. i mean you no harm, we have the same enemy

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Yeah no way am I yelling at runners in the bike lanes or people using their wheel chairs in the bike lane. Use that space! That person was just rude. Pedestrians stepping into the bike lane directly in front of me without looking get a bell ring or two if I have enough time or else they get to hear me come to a skidding halt with hopefully some distance remaining between me and them.

Some fucker parked his car washing van in the bike lane and got offended when I yelled at him to look out as he tried to step into the tiny remaining passing space

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I was biking to the bar the other day and another guy on a bicycle crossed the street in front of me (I had the green light) and we came like a foot away from colliding. Told him he's a fuckin' clown and as I got moving again a cop posted up at the barriers for the street festival that had just finished was like "man, some people eh?" and I got to say "yeah but you're worse" before riding away.

There are assholes everywhere, this stuff is small potatoes though. I still call out sidewalk cyclists and people walking with their noses buried in their phones, but I'd obviously much rather deal with that poo poo all the time than get hit by a car again.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

I still call out sidewalk cyclists and people walking with their noses buried in their phones,

This is anti poster

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Mister Speaker posted:

I was biking to the bar the other day and another guy on a bicycle crossed the street in front of me (I had the green light) and we came like a foot away from colliding. Told him he's a fuckin' clown and as I got moving again a cop posted up at the barriers for the street festival that had just finished was like "man, some people eh?" and I got to say "yeah but you're worse" before riding away.

There are assholes everywhere, this stuff is small potatoes though. I still call out sidewalk cyclists and people walking with their noses buried in their phones, but I'd obviously much rather deal with that poo poo all the time than get hit by a car again.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Yo lotta cool stories recently about people being mildly inconvenienced by bicycles or pedestrians, glad that none of those incidents resulted in serious injury or death as would be likely if they involved a car instead.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

Yo lotta cool stories recently about people being mildly inconvenienced by bicycles or pedestrians, glad that none of those incidents resulted in serious injury or death as would be likely if they involved a car instead.

yup

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Blackhawk posted:

Well this happens on regular roads anyway, unless you always take the center of the lane. Also Americans dump their yard waste on the street like animals, so there are sharp sticks and rocks and discarded body/bumper panels and broken glass and it's a miracle I haven't blown a tire while biking in years.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/Nerd4Cities/status/1671686881715843072

:stare:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"why don't kids play outside anymore"

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

habitat fragmentation is a major issue caused by roads (and, tbh, other similar infrastructure) and it’s insanely funny that we also do it to ourselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Doc Hawkins posted:

eta: noted downthread, the plans are for posts 10-20 feet apart

closed ticket as wontfix; working as designed

they also used to close certain blocks of Valencia to car traffic entirely. always loved to see what was happening in the street on those days. people would hold impromptu dinner parties and music performances that drew decent crowds. wonder if that'll ever happen now that we're putting a big ribbon of bad ideas straight down the middle of the road

there are already two major 4-lane roads that run down the entire length of the mission two blocks to either side! it's so infuriating

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 10:18 on Jun 22, 2023