Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Your Computer posted:

drat it this is too long for a thread title

Roguelikes - accessible to the elites with discipline and moral character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the current thread title is perfect don't change it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's indeed a great title.

nrook posted:

... metaprogression creates a sort of comforting emotional substrate when playing such games, an assurance that the player's results will improve even if they don't actually get better at the game.

Honestly, I'm not that interested in getting better at video games. It's something I discovered over the years, or decades even. I'm not the type of player that plays the same game again and again and it's motivated by the challenge itself. I'm more of a explorer kind of player, I like to explore, not only new worlds, but new gameplay concepts, new ideas, new stories, new stuff. That's why I usually play a lot of games instead of having hundreds of hours in a few ones like some people do, and it's why I like almost every genre (except sports).

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Apparently Monolith is getting renamed to... preemptively avoid any legal troubles from WB which owns the trademark on that word? More importantly the Relics of the Past DLC will be included with the base game after the rename goes through, so if you own the base game already you're getting that DLC for free.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Apparently Monolith is getting renamed to... preemptively avoid any legal troubles from WB which owns the trademark on that word?

Makes sense, one of the developers owned by WB is Monolith Productions, with their logo just saying Monolith.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Seriously what is the deal with this game? How does it not have a negative review on the entire internet?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Well it's great, so

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No Wave posted:

Seriously what is the deal with this game? How does it not have a negative review on the entire internet?

It has 33 negative reviews on Steam (vs 1600 positive ones)

The first two!

But more seriously, and I think this applies here, I read time ago an article about marketing from an indie dev perspective, and one of the thing I remember is the importance to clearly show what type of game is your game, what genre and what specific style. In the title, the description, the trailer, etc.
That way you avoid as much as possible people buying your game randomly that in the end will not like it because it goes against their expectatives or their wished play style, and leave a negative review. It's funny because it's the opposite of hype based marketing campaigns that try to fool as many people as possible.
All to make sure your Steam score review is high (of course making a good game it's the first step for this...)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah that's basically it you're right. People don't play the game if it's not for them.

Side note, this game got its first bad review in three years (and I like this one a lot), I wonder why people were playing it in the last 24 hours?

the review in question:

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 21, 2023

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

quiggy posted:

Well it's great, so

It really is. Monolith and Deathstate are two of my absolute favorite roguelike bullet hell games from the past decade.

Also, Deathstate doesn’t get nearly enough credit. The first time I played Vampire Survivors, I thought it was just a less engaging version of Deathstate, although it basically perfected the amount of dopamine you can get with this formula.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

No Wave posted:

Yeah that's basically it you're right. People don't play the game if it's not for them.
I played Monolith a bunch and ultimately concluded it wasn't for me, but didn't bother leaving a negative review because it does what it's trying to do very well, it's just that what it's doing isn't really something I vibe with.

quote:

Side note, this game got its first bad review in three years (and I like this one a lot), I wonder why people were playing it in the last 24 hours?

the review in question:

AIUI it got picked up recently by a medium-popular streamer, we've been seeing a lot of new players on the discord.

That's not actually its first bad review, but most of the previous ones were the same deal -- someone who has nothing to say about the game and just wants to be the first person to post a negative review. They were ultimately flagged and removed by steam, and I expect the same will eventually happen with this one too.

IIRC there were a few exceptions, where people actually had substantive criticism of the game, but in those cases Veyerals actually addressed their complaints in a later patch and they went back and revised the reviews afterwards.

Sooner or later someone is going to play it who (a) actually has a reason not to recommend it that (b) can't be resolved without compromising the dev's vision for the game, and at that point it'll lose that 100% positive rating for good, but we aren't there yet.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

I played Monolith a bunch and ultimately concluded it wasn't for me, but didn't bother leaving a negative review because it does what it's trying to do very well, it's just that what it's doing isn't really something I vibe with.
I cant stand monolith. Its like anti fun for me and I'm pretty shmup tolerant. I think the levels are long and dull and the bosses arent fun enough to make up for it (art and music do nothing for me either). I've always found it interesting how divergent my experience is from basically everyone else's on this one and I'm happy to hear from someone else who bounced off it.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

No Wave posted:

I cant stand monolith. Its like anti fun for me and I'm pretty shmup tolerant. I think the levels are long and dull and the bosses arent fun enough to make up for it (art and music do nothing for me either). I've always found it interesting how divergent my experience is from basically everyone else's on this one and I'm happy to hear from someone else who bounced off it.

I bounced off it very hard, and didn't bother to leave a negative review.
It had potential for me to enjoy it, but It's a game I'd have to honestly sink work into before I could start to like it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

No Wave posted:

I wouldn't say I can't stand it but I was also very underwhelmed after all the hype and bounced off it after a few hours. I can't name anything I think it did poorly but it didn't do anything that excited me either, it just felt like a pretty standard action roguelite. I am admittedly not a shmup or bullet hell fan though. I did think the music and art was cool and I've gone back to it a couple times since then for a single run (5 hours played total) and even bought the DLC. I think I beat it once?

Honestly my biggest actual complaint about the game is that dodging doesn't give iframes, despite me not being into it I still see it as solid game design if that's the most negative thing I can think of to say about it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 21, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Post poste posted:

I bounced off it very hard, and didn't bother to leave a negative review.
It had potential for me to enjoy it, but It's a game I'd have to honestly sink work into before I could start to like it.
Yeah I dont leave negative reviews, and the devs seem nice/hard working/well liked by devs I like so I wouldnt in any case. But yeah just not for me I guess.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I'll give it another try once the DLC is free but likewise Monolith wasn't bad, it just wasn't particularly my thing. I only leave bad reviews if a game actively pissed me off.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Honestly my biggest actual complaint about the game is that dodging doesn't give iframes

iirc one of the upgrades you can get in a run gives dodge iframes

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

monolith achieves what it sets out to do almost perfectly

that doesn't mean it's for everyone by any stretch, but if you dig on it's particular mix of genres it's basically catnip

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Half* of the negative attention Monolith subconsciously gets is just down to there Still being no surge of Monolith-inspired fare(as well as the game still not being done in the Above & Beyond sense) hitting different setting and such touchstones that people have been fiending for ever since getting a taste.

It is so good/specific there thus far just can't even be proper inspirations unlike the Vampire Survivors advent.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
I hope the Monolith devs change the name to something goofy that's also just different enough to not get them into trouble, like "Bonolith" or "Lithomon" or some poo poo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Simon The Digger posted:

I hope the Monolith devs change the name to something goofy that's also just different enough to not get them into trouble, like "Bonolith" or "Lithomon" or some poo poo

Duolith

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Simon The Digger posted:

The image accompanying the announcement suggests they have a new one lined up already:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stereolith

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Jeeze Shiren does not gently caress around after you complete the initial 3 towers, the next dungeon is way harder. How far does that thing go anyways? I think I made it to like floor 12 on my first attempt. Also I'm pretty sure I'm still in the "tutorial" because I did a dungeon from the dungeon center where staffs and pots and stuff weren't auto-identified and that's still not the case where I'm at in the story.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jack Trades posted:

Most people just want that dopamine hit from the number going up, and don't care about investing effort into improving

I am unironically playing rogueli*es in part to develop more resilience and persistence, which are not traits that I possess in abundance and wish I had more of. I played Elden Ring for the same reason.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I am unironically playing rogueli*es in part to develop more resilience and persistence, which are not traits that I possess in abundance and wish I had more of. I played Elden Ring for the same reason.

It's the reason why I like Fighting Games so much, as well as Roguelikes.

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Same - playing roguelikes to develop the tactical skills I need to succeed in blobbers and RPGs, the nerd version of cross-training :madmax:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
noticed that there's a tag on steam now for "action roguelike "to differentiate games like binding of isaac from more traditional roguelikes

....except that those games just now have both tags and it serves no purpose

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Your Computer posted:

noticed that there's a tag on steam now for "action roguelike "to differentiate games like binding of isaac from more traditional roguelikes

Does Steam have any way to search for ((has tag "roguelike") and (does not have tag "action roguelike")), or is it just "show me everything with this tag"?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Your Computer posted:

There is no proper standardization in Steam game tags, nor there is an entity (Valve) that watches over their use, so while informative, they aren't a good proper classification you can trust. You will find games with 'roguelike' (but there aren't trad roguelikes), 'action roguelike' and 'roguelite' in Steam.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Does Steam have any way to search for ((has tag "roguelike") and (does not have tag "action roguelike")), or is it just "show me everything with this tag"?

It does since a year ago or so they added the ability to exclude tags from search results.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Good, but inherently somewhat conflicting gains for a new Path of Achra update as the price of such amounts to less presumably delicious baked goods out there in the world---but the price seems worth it:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2128270/view/3667667035801957787

quote:

Thanks to the successful launch, I was able to reduce my hours at the bakery somewhat. This update is a product of that; more tweaks, +6 prestige classes, some added features, notably an encyclopedia of enemies. Another gradual process with these updates is just iterating through starting options and items and adding bonuses to things that feel weak. As always, player experience is immensely helpful in determining what's strong / fun / weak / not fun --- thank you for the continued feedback, it's been an honor getting to work on this. The path unfolds...

General
added the Nemesis page into the start menu -- lets you browse the all the different enemies in the game and view their abilities / base attributes / resistances
made fast mode a little bit faster, with attribute bonus applications and some special effect animations being executed all at once instead of once per frame
search filter in the powers menu now also works on too-expensive powers

Hero
"Familiars" now gain Hit and Life based on the player's current Glory
Kull now gains 2 Evasion on step
Lochra now gains 3 Berserk on being dealt damage
Albaz now also heals on game turn
Naqui's Attune now increases by 20% (max 10) on prayer
Amir's Nomads are now Familiars
Templar's Anoint no longet gets removed on stand still (this has more to do with the Paragon prestige class)
Hadad on-attack and 2nd prayer path damage limited to a 4 tile range

Powers
Training now increases armor / block from items by 25%

Prestige Classes
Added Death Knight, Death + Martial, gains Poise on ally / enemy death, gains encumbrance from poise, deals Death damage based on Encumbrance to enemies when self / an ally blocks / shrugs off
Added Dianmai, Poison + Martial, applies Sickness when attacking with a bare fist, gains Evasion when applying sickness, deals Pierce damage based on Evasion stacks on hit
Added Surtmir, Fire + Ice, applies Freeze to enemies in a 2 tile range on attack, when applying Freeze applies Scorch equal to the target's total Freeze and deals Fire damage equal to Scorch + Freeze stacks
Added Alizeh, Lightning + Astral, deals Lightning and Astral damage to random units on entrance, deals Lightning and Astral damage to the closest enemy on step, applies Charge to self when dealing Lightning or Astral damage
Added Vengati, Psychic + Poison, applies Sickness when dealing Psychic damage, when a unit dies gains Repulsion equal to its Sickness stacks
Added Necromancer, Necrokinesis / Necromancy, summons 3 Skeleton warriors on game turn, performs a 100 damage hit against any enemy that kills an ally
Doomsayer now spreads Doom on stand still as well, and transfers the Doom of dying enemies to new enemies
Earth Mage now applies entangle on summon
Exultite area damage range increased to 3
Blood Mage bleed stacks increased to 6, and now actually applies Bleed on self-damage (this part wasn't active)
Arsonist damage reduced to 75 and limited to a 4 tile range

Items
Inu Greatsword ice damage now scales with Encumbrance
Arja Spear ice damage now scales with your Armor
Removed the 3 on-hit -> summon items while a rework is contemplated that leads to less infinite combos

Enemies
added three alternate "colors" for the final enemy, with different damage types and semi-themed sets of abilities

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ToxicFrog posted:

Yep. This search is ("roguelike" or "traditional roguelike") AND NOT "action roguelike".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there anything similar to Balataro for Android? I'd enjoy playing something low effort like that on the phone.

Slice & Dice is good but I find it a bit too findly to play on the phone.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I played Balatro. I like how it looks. It's fun for a while. But it annoys me that the reward for clearing encounters in fewer turns soon becomes insignificant compared to clearing as slowly as possible in order to proc your econ abilities as much as possible.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah people talked about it before, the gold seal cards mechanic definitely needs a rework because literally every other mechanic rewards stalling as long as you can

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm surprised how bad darkest dungeon 2 is feeling despite how much I should like all of its changes on paper.

Mastery feels critical for skills to be worth using at all (it doesn't feel like there are "normal" and "upgraded" skills, it feels like there are "bad" and "normal" skills) but you get way too little of it after the first chapter, which starts you with 5 but subsequent ones only start you with 2, with too much RNG in how much mastery you get after that. this makes fights in the first couple areas take forever. feels like a slog.

Enemies getting death's door slows the game down and contributes to it feeling like a slog.

being able to see the turn order is great, except it lies to you constantly and enemies frequently take two turns in a row.

I just had the game quietly unequip my healer's very important heal skill after an inn because ??? and lost a run because I got in a fight and suddenly found my ability to heal had been replaced by a different, useless move. I am dead certain I did not do this myself.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 24, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xom posted:

I played Balatro. I like how it looks. It's fun for a while. But it annoys me that the reward for clearing encounters in fewer turns soon becomes insignificant compared to clearing as slowly as possible in order to proc your econ abilities as much as possible.

The dev's planning to change it, thankfully; this is from a video they posted yesterday:

Also, lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7THFXhFa4dQ

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 24, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've been really enjoying voidigo so far, was on my best run with some bonkers build that filled half the screen with explosions and about to loop a second time, and then it crashed from being out of memory. I have 32 GB RAM. What unholy memory leak does this game have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Owl Inspector posted:

I've been really enjoying voidigo so far, was on my best run with some bonkers build that filled half the screen with explosions and about to loop a second time, and then it crashed from being out of memory. I have 32 GB RAM. What unholy memory leak does this game have

Yeah its a weird game. I've been questioning some of the decisions the team made. We have a thread for it! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034148 Probably doesn't need one though lol

In short, they spent so much time on art they kinda forgot a lot of other things