Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

Trying your greyscale technique rn, already I want to look at the phone less. 10/10 tip

I've thought about going straight dumbphone. Buying a LightPhone, or even doing an old Pixel with GrapheneOS (not saying it is a dumbphone OS, but I feel like I would use my phone less with it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Serious_Cyclone posted:

If you still don't get it ... I don't know what to tell you. Part of the charm of the system is that some people don't get it, it's part of what makes it work.

Imagine you could use your SA account to also post on Reddit through a special hole in the SA forums that you can stick your account in and wiggle it around until a post spurts out on Spez's face.

And if enough people did that and Spez didn't like it (we all know he does), he could close his awful hole and prevent that from happening again.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

trouser chili posted:

Imagine you could use your SA account to also post on Reddit through a special hole in the SA forums that you can stick your account in and wiggle it around until a post spurts out on Spez's face.

And if enough people did that and Spez didn't like it (we all know he does), he could close his awful hole and prevent that from happening again.

imagine the glory of it

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I searched for information on the fediverse and I'm now seeing ads for ADHD treatment. Coincidence???

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So basically federated reddit is like "Imagine if each subreddit was its own VBulletin board but were all connected in a giant web ring."

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I searched for information on the fediverse and I'm now seeing ads for ADHD treatment. Coincidence???

absolutely not, I would also anticipate seeing a lot of ads for hair restoration

Lick Joe
Sep 30, 2000
Forum Veteran
Switching things up, r/PoliticalHumor has just granted all their subscribers moderator powers, making them honorary members of the landed gentry.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Ingenium posted:

Imagine being one of those old folks sitting on their porch staring at the road in silence for hours everyday.

I am that. it's a good view

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lick Joe posted:

Switching things up, r/PoliticalHumor has just granted all their subscribers moderator powers, making them honorary members of the landed gentry.

All mods, all masters?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Heath posted:

Are they, though? I feel like the philosophy is "Where else ya gonna go?" Are people going to start signing up here and staying? We've gotten a small wave of people but every single one of those people will go back to Reddit in a few days at best. A bunch of people who are like "Hey guys, I'm back from Reddit" left SA in like, 2010-2012, when the forums were at their peak. Why would they stick around now?

And SA actually has some appeal for a fuckin' BBS board. Where else is there that's even comparable to reddit or twitter?

edit: Probably worth noting: I do not use Reddit, at least not regularly -- I have an account and I've posted like, twice, years ago and I occasionally pop it open infrequently when I'm very bored but I never stick around for longer than a few minutes because the website is just plainly wretched even prior to all of this. I also got off of Twitter after like a year in 2014 and I haven't posted since. So nothing I say is in praise of these websites because they're terrible and always have been.

There's nothing to really replace it and maybe that's just a good thing. I think a lot of people for ed to lose access to reddit entirely for a couple weeks would not find themselves missing it for long. Reading the most idiotically popular comments and perspectives under the most outrageously titled reposted screenshot of a Twitter post reacting to a news headline will not be something people desperately want back in their lives.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Lick Joe posted:

Okay. That's the best one.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Khanstant posted:

There's nothing to really replace it and maybe that's just a good thing. I think a lot of people for ed to lose access to reddit entirely for a couple weeks would not find themselves missing it for long. Reading the most idiotically popular comments and perspectives under the most outrageously titled reposted screenshot of a Twitter post reacting to a news headline will not be something people desperately want back in their lives.

I don't believe this for a second. There is a large base of people who absolutely thrive on exactly this thing.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Grey Cat posted:

Look no further than the spammed adverts for Raid Shadow Legends. When you look hardly 2 inches behind the curtain you realize it's Plarium - Aristocrat Leisure, a company that makes gambling machines. So it doesn't take much of a leap to see other companies using the same sort of addiction feedback.

The 2022 breakout video game genre of "bullet heavens" was kicked off by the release of Vampire Survivors. VS's developer worked on designing slot machines at his day job. A lot of people have attempted clones, many with little to no originally, that didn't understand what made the game popular. The sounds, visuals, and music when you get your reward are designed like a slot machine and a lot lot lot of clone developers just don't get it.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Someone please re-open /r/somethingawful; I need to post goatse without the fear of a probe.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Chaos Motor posted:

I honestly dgaf about social media. I just want a good way to aggregate news from a ton of sources with public commentary that isn't hot diarrhea in a juicebox.

i want the same but without public commentary. i do Not care what poo poo heads in wherever think about anything ever, including here

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

deep dish peat moss posted:

That's where I'm at too (except I don't want the public commentary) and it has made this whole Reddit thing feel weird.

You see I really enjoy reading intelligent commentary from informed observers and insiders. It's the detritus of braindead idiots that will say anything to get fake internet points, copy-paste the dumbest poo poo you've heard in your life, or vomit up the worst dredges of human trash-thought in existence that turn me off. That's why I pretty much stopped interacting on reddit back in 2016 or so, I just logged tf out but kept coming back to read without interacting.

Mega64 posted:

What kind of news are you looking for?

Yes. Literally all of it. Could do with dialing back the weird insecure femboy/egg garbage that's infested reddit the last few years. I honestly do not give a flying gently caress what you want to do with your genitals or who you want to do that with - you do you. I do not care to such an overwhelming extent I honestly don't want to hear about it. Some things are simply not to be advertised, and your opinions about your own wiener, or lack thereof, are usually in that group.

Heath posted:

Are they, though? I feel like the philosophy is "Where else ya gonna go?" Are people going to start signing up here and staying? We've gotten a small wave of people but every single one of those people will go back to Reddit in a few days at best. A bunch of people who are like "Hey guys, I'm back from Reddit" left SA in like, 2010-2012, when the forums were at their peak. Why would they stick around now?

You don't have to talk about me like I'm not here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chaos Motor fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 21, 2023

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

cool tell us more unpromptedly about your theories of gender

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i love my wiener, personally

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

NoiseAnnoys posted:

cool tell us more unpromptedly about your theories of gender

How much do you talk to strangers about your cock, and is that an appropriate thing to focus on in public?

I'm just saying the overwhelming femboy stuff on reddit the last few years, or how heavily their algo promotes it, has not made it more interesting to me. I'm there for news, not learning about strangers genitals. Investigations of strangers genitals is for redgifs.com.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

DeusIgnis posted:

I've thought about going straight dumbphone. Buying a LightPhone, or even doing an old Pixel with GrapheneOS (not saying it is a dumbphone OS, but I feel like I would use my phone less with it).

As much as I hate phones, it really is a blessing just having access to a computer in your pocket at all times, so I don't think dumbphones are the way to go. Being able to google something or check maps for directions or traffic info or whatever is the kind of thing you take for granted until suddenly you can't do it without physically going to a computer. Plus a lot of things use smartphones for 2fa which isn't the best idea for security but is sometimes unavoidable. Dumbphones can do those things but in frustrating ways that aren't user friendly.

Setting it to Greyscale really does make a huge and immediately noticeable difference in how often you use your phone (for most people it seems, anyway). In iOS it's in the accessibility options I think. On Android it's in the Bedtime Mode settings. I don't even download dumb timekiller games on my phone anymore since doing that, virtually everything around me is more distracting than my phone is and it serves a very utilitarian purpose

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Chaos Motor posted:

honestly do not give a flying gently caress what you want to do with your genitals or who you want to do that with - you do you. I do not care to such an overwhelming extent I honestly don't want to hear about it. Some things are simply not to be advertised, and your opinions about your own wiener, or lack thereof, are usually in that group.

Are you my uncle that I avoid during the holidays?

Jim Cramer
Sep 18, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Chaos Motor posted:

How much do you talk to strangers about your cock, and is that an appropriate thing to focus on in public?

I'm just saying the overwhelming femboy stuff on reddit the last few years, or how heavily their algo promotes it, has not made it more interesting to me. I'm there for news, not learning about strangers genitals. Investigations of strangers genitals is for redgifs.com.

weird thing to rant about out of nowhere when someone asks what news you're interested in lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bad Purchase posted:

nightly :madmax:

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

deep dish peat moss posted:

As much as I hate phones, it really is a blessing just having access to a computer in your pocket at all times, so I don't think dumbphones are the way to go. Being able to google something or check maps for directions or traffic info or whatever is the kind of thing you take for granted until suddenly you can't do it without physically going to a computer. Plus a lot of things use smartphones for 2fa which isn't the best idea for security but is sometimes unavoidable. Dumbphones can do those things but in frustrating ways that aren't user friendly.

Setting it to Greyscale really does make a huge and immediately noticeable difference in how often you use your phone (for most people it seems, anyway). In iOS it's in the accessibility options I think. On Android it's in the Bedtime Mode settings. I don't even download dumb timekiller games on my phone anymore since doing that, virtually everything around me is more distracting than my phone is and it serves a very utilitarian purpose

I set mine to DND and turn off every notification for every app, then whitelist the dozen people I actually give a poo poo about.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

weird thing to rant about out of nowhere when someone asks what news you're interested in lol

Go back and read the question I answered - "What kind of news are you looking for?" Is it strange for me to point out that people's pondering on their meat packing plant is not, in fact, part of the news that I'm motivated to receive? That it's not why I originally started using reddit, but it's now a huge percentage of the feed if you're not logged in?

Would you watch the news if 50% of it was random strangers discussing their feelings about their genitals? Actually, I retract the question.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The things in particular being talked about are memes about being trans, non-binary, etc. It's not even strangers talking about their genitals, it's people posting memes about being trans. They're really inoffensive memes too that are largely things like pointing out things from their childhood that made them realize they were different. I'm not into memes at all personally but like, how is that particularly upsetting, other then reminding you that people who are different from you exist?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The algorithm keeps bringing me all this femboy cock, and I've got nowhere to keep it all!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You visit the Fallout New Vegas subreddit one time,

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here are the top 3 posts from the last year one of the subreddits in particular being complained about which I am not timging to illustrate how incredibly inoffensive these are

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

chaos motor just a heads up you are not going to enjoy gbs' patented femboy fridays

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i haven't logged into reddit for 5+ years and don't see hordes of femboys or whatever when i load up the front site to scan for news. maybe the odd meme every now and then, but mostly i just see current event news stories, memes about news stories, gaming stuff, and terrible webcomics on the first few pages. edit: oh yeah, and ragebait stuff like karen and cop encounters, of course

this is baffling commentary. maybe they are using a browser fingerprint thing to show you targeted femboy content? i can't really think of any other explanation.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 22, 2023

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bad Purchase posted:

i haven't logged into reddit for 5+ years and don't see hordes of femboys or whatever when i load up the front site to scan for news. maybe the odd meme every now and then, but mostly i just see current event news stories, memes about news stories, gaming stuff, and terrible webcomics on the first few pages

this is baffling commentary. maybe they are using a browser fingerprint thing to show you targeted femboy content? i can't really think of any other explanation.

It's because they navigate to reddit.com/r/femboy whenever they want to read news for some reason

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I love the idea that somehow reddit profiled you as someone who wants femboy content. It's just so absurd.

Did it like show it to you once and you clicked and it was like "that's an engagement, put him in the femboy box" and now your reddit is ruined?

Maybe someone in your household did something that got it assuming that everyone using that WiFi router wants femboy content?

It's such a great mystery I must know more.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I just wanted to see the news and it wont stop showing me the bbc

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I guess awkwardtheturtle was finally banned today.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

MisterOblivious posted:

The 2022 breakout video game genre of "bullet heavens" was kicked off by the release of Vampire Survivors. VS's developer worked on designing slot machines at his day job. A lot of people have attempted clones, many with little to no originally, that didn't understand what made the game popular. The sounds, visuals, and music when you get your reward are designed like a slot machine and a lot lot lot of clone developers just don't get it.

There was a few decent clones, 99% poo poo. But the hours i dumped into vampire survivors beats them all and it was easily the simplest of them.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Why do all these homosexuals keep sucking my cock!?

Never change guys, this is why I love you.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
So Mastodon is like the Federation? Like root beer and untrustworthy admiralty?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
ive subscribed to all the transgender related subreddits and now i cannot find the news please send help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
i want to see petite femboys with slender legs and burly women with larger legs, which subreddit can help me because my feed isn't showing me poo poo