Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
There's a drag queen in Colombia called Shakiro, I wonder what their opinion is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
There's a rapper in Estados Unidos called Shakur, I wonder what his opinion is?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

SlothfulCobra posted:

Huh, I thought normally Unicode stuck to independent countries.

Excluding the English Caribbean makes sense, but then Suriname and Guyana are left in, and then Sint Maarten is counted, but not other Dutch islands like Aruba or Curacao.

I have plenty of solidarity with jamaicans in not having a loving clue why one of us might be considered a Latin American at any specific time and the other not, but it keeps happening

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

SlothfulCobra posted:

Huh, I thought normally Unicode stuck to independent countries.

Excluding the English Caribbean makes sense, but then Suriname and Guyana are left in, and then Sint Maarten is counted, but not other Dutch islands like Aruba or Curacao.

Well there's Belize which is English and not Caribbean. And French Guiana which is France but ??? And what does that make the Falklands/Malvinas??

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Elias_Maluco posted:

I remember we had a discussion here about which countries are part of latin america

I hope this settles it

https://twitter.com/shakira/status/1642707164866265089

These hips don't lie.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/secblinken/status/1664745359430627328?s=46

Sanctions are live against former Haitian Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I remember when he was the business darling PM. Entrepreneur to leader.

The Irish billionaire Denis O'Brien, who also owns the largest mobile network in Haiti, praised him for bringing a business background to the countries government back when he was in power. O'Brien is known for making his fortune in Ireland by bribing the business friendly government in the 90s for the license to the first mobile network. A strategy he replicated in Jamaica and Haiti.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
https://twitter.com/evoespueblo/status/1666158655815680010

Morales coming for Boric.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Why is it that more and more Latin American countries are becoming dollarized - that is to say, using the dollar as legal tender or de facto?

El Salvador jumped on the dollar years ago, and it's become de facto in Venezuela and Argentina because of the insane inflation in both. Is it all un complot estadounidense :tinfoil:?

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 10, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

America Inc. posted:

Why is it that more and more Latin American countries are becoming dollarized - that is to say, using the dollar as legal tender or de facto?

El Salvador jumped on the dollar years ago, and it's become de facto in Venezuela and Argentina because of the insane inflation in both. Is it all un complot estadounidense :tinfoil:?

the more unstable a currency gets, the more the dollar looks good as an alternative. this is probably amplified in south america. who is making that currency unstable in the first place is up for debate

i would ask the poster: why is the peso so strong right now?

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

i say swears online posted:

i would ask the poster: why is the peso so strong right now?

One factor is probably a lot of foreign investment and nearshoring in Mexico re: US/China trade friction.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Owling Howl posted:

One factor is probably a lot of foreign investment and nearshoring in Mexico re: US/China trade friction.

oh for sure, it was just a pushback on the general dollarization of the latin american economic bloc, which has had an era over the last 30 years but may be ebbing

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Owling Howl posted:

This 100%. During the Trump years with the "wall" talk, NAFTA renegotiations, the Peso was at all time lows.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1671532240218607618

Mr Bolsonaro, who I do not support,

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
At what point does "happens every election“ stop being "very unusual"?

Edit: maybe it's unusual because it's not the candidate on the right

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah the unusual part is that they went around telling generals specifically not to do a coup

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah the unusual part is that they went around telling generals specifically not to do a coup

yanqui please stop interfering in telling bolso not to overthrow the government

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

guatemalan elections today. i assume the main matchup is between joel osteen and augusto pinochet

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1674821813954543617

I hope Bolsonaro doesn't use the free time to visit Florida more.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Ecuador presidential candidate Fernando Villavicencio assassinated at campaign event

quote:

Quito, Ecuador
CNN

An opposition candidate in Ecuador’s upcoming presidential election, Fernando Villavicencio, was assassinated at a campaign event Wednesday, President Guillermo Lasso confirmed on social media, vowing the killing will not go unpunished.
Seven of the eight presidential candidates, including Villavicencio, were under police protection, Ecuador’s Interior Minister Juan Zapata said earlier this week, local media reported Tuesday.

The Andean country, a relatively peaceful nation until a few years ago, is now plagued by a turf war between rival criminal organizations.

Though Ecuador has no history of producing cocaine, nor its main ingredient coca, it is sandwiched between the two largest narcotics production hotspots in the world: Peru and Colombia.

Ecuador has become an integral part in the lucrative cocaine trafficking routes from South America to North America and Europe, according to security experts. And violence has been most pronounced on the country’s Pacific coast as criminal groups battle to control and distribute narcotics, primarily cocaine.

The country has also lost control of its prisons, which are often ruled by criminal gangs. Security forces have struggled to confront the gangs inside overcrowded prisons, where inmates often take control of branches of the penitentiaries and run criminal networks from behind bars, according to Ecuadorian authorities.

In July, the mayor of the port city of Manta, Agustin Intriago, was shot dead alongside Ariana Chancay, a young athlete he was talking with on the street.

All the candidates in the country’s presidential election have pledged to rein in the escalation of violence.

In an interview with CNN En Español Conclusiones in May, Villavicencio addressed the violence caused by drug trafficking in the country, saying Ecuador had become a “narco state.”

He proposed to restore security with the armed forces and the police in the streets and lead a fight against what he called the “political mafia.”

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
We've reached the point where drug trafficking is a far greater ill than drug use in and of itself. In a utilitarian sense: let people drug themselves to death, legally and fore free, if they choose. It's better than inflicting collateral damage on innocent people.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
How much havoc is Milei going to cause in Argentina?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Have you seen current Argentina?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

AMLO, who seems unable to keep away from Mexican aviation, is now ready to set another $230 million on fire https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-08-10/amlo-s-airline-to-take-off-with-4-billion-and-10-boeing-jets and that's USD, not Peso.

He's previously forced all cargo flights to move to his pet project airport, Santa Lucia which has been a disaster because of how cargo/passenger planes co-mingle with customs facilities and how MEX is used as a cargo hub.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/mexican-president-defends-bid-move-cargo-longstanding-hub-new-airport-2023-01-19/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I remember when people were vaguely hopeful that AMLO would be a good president. Seems quaint now...

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™

Polidoro posted:

Have you seen current Argentina?

Currently on fire... The guy that got More votes in the election Is an incel and uses a medium to talk to His dead dog.... So yeah, everything Is cool.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah it's absolutely impossible it can get any worse, right?

...right?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Negostrike posted:

...right?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/argetinas-far-right-presidential-frontrunner-wants-to-become-jewish/

quote:

He has visited the Buenos Aires Holocaust Museum and last July traveled to New York, where visited the grave of the Lubavitcher Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson, the influential former spiritual leader of the Chabad-Lubavitch movement.

Milei and his vice presidential candidate, Victoria Villaruel, were the only two Argentine lawmakers to vote against a bill that would make July 18, the date of the 1994 AMIA Jewish center bombing, a national day of mourning. A group of families of victims of the attack shouted at Milei at this year’s commemoration ceremony for the incident that killed 85 people. After sharp criticism, Milei tried to change his vote, but his request was denied by the president of the Chamber of Deputies.

weird guy

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Negostrike posted:

...right?

That’s probably like half his vote? Can’t blame them. Voting for the current finance minister or for another try at a Macri like attempt seems lol

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Negostrike posted:

...right?

laughs in 🇭🇹

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dek posted:

Currently on fire... The guy that got More votes in the election Is an incel and uses a medium to talk to His dead dog.... So yeah, everything Is cool.

He won a primary, so while it's worrying for him to be in the running, there's still plenty of chance they'll pass him over. I'm not really a polltoucher though, so I have no idea what direction things are expected to go.

In that sense, it's not really all that different from things like every French election coming down to some guy and a literal nazi. A nutso far right guy being part of the the national political conversation doesn't seem particularly new. But Argentina being a train wreck otherwise makes it an unstable situation.

Staluigi posted:

laughs in 🇭🇹

Last piece of news I saw on Haiti:

https://apnews.com/article/haiti-gangs-cherizier-barbecue-international-force-359f7b52a821591df9ddc55642fbeb72

Which while it's ridiculous for a gangleader responsible for massacres and rapes to posture against potential human rights offenses, I guess maybe this could be a sign of the gangs having some kind of ambition to create some kind of legitimacy and start running a society instead of continuing the gang war. Which while stabilizing into a dictatorship is bad, it'd be a step up from the current chaos. Not like there's any democratic government left to pose an alternative.

Kenya has said it'd be willing to lead a UN coalition, no idea how that would go.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Posting in the legendary thread and will sample it later.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/Navoski/status/1692582553885052956 God, what the gently caress is going on in Argentina.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Is she cosplaying as a US chud in the first on on the right?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
no. LatAm libertarians (as in, actual human beings supporting the ideology, so not counting Chicago School economic advisors and other kinds of ghouls) were pretty much nonexistant previous to US cultural influence via social media, so for the most part they're a 1:1 copy when it comes to symbols and imagery

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

no. LatAm libertarians (as in, actual human beings supporting the ideology, so not counting Chicago School economic advisors and other kinds of ghouls) were pretty much nonexistant previous to US cultural influence via social media, so for the most part they're a 1:1 copy when it comes to symbols and imagery

This. In Brazil, the MBL (Free Brazil movement) sprang from the ground firing on all cylinders during Dilma's impeachment and the economic dip, showing up in pro-Bolsonaro rallies wearing Trump hats and signs asking the US to 'free' Brasil. Lots of 'Mises was right' and Don't Treat on Me shirts and signs, too.

As an organization, they were a tiny group of snobbish comment dudes, but they got heaps of media attention and scored a ton of Congress positions. Many then crashed fighting each other over backing Bozo 100% or distancing as his agenda proved insanely corrupt and authoritarian, but they still retain a decent presence in politics, mostly because any anti-PT force always gets at least some media sympathy by default.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SlothfulCobra posted:

https://twitter.com/Navoski/status/1692582553885052956 God, what the gently caress is going on in Argentina.

should've just stuck to cosplay tbh

but yeah I'm not entirely clear why Argentina, specifically, is going fash-ish

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Google Jeb Bush posted:

should've just stuck to cosplay tbh

but yeah I'm not entirely clear why Argentina, specifically, is going fash-ish

Lol. Argentina has been fascist since it was invented.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nicaragua is banning the Jesuit Order and confiscating all its property, which sounds like a thing from another era, but apparently he's doing it to shut down universities and this is part of a pattern of cracking down on catholicism and political opponents.

https://apnews.com/article/nicaragua-bans-jesuits-confiscate-properties-280e6d2e63b15a171a7ba9a5c323d180

Also, the Panama canal is suffering from low lake levels from droughts so a lot of traffic can't get through.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/panama-canal-drought-threatens-global-cargo-ship-traffic/

Interesting times in Central America, but I didn't see anything recent about Cost Rica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I think it's only fair after five centuries of wanton slaughter by their hands

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 25, 2023