Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shiroc posted:

The Neptune section in any additional remakes should continue to get bigger and dumber with every iteration.
That whole place could be expanded to a proper aquarium, with mutated squids, crabs, moray eels, lampreys and whatever else they think would be cool.

hatty posted:

More sharks and more spiders I say, maybe bring back giant roaches
They gotta bring back spiders. You'd think game developers would stop catering to arachnophobes in this day an age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'll allow a CVX remake if Steve is 100% more canadian than he previously was.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

SettingSun posted:

More Wesker to chew up the scenery. Some changed cutscenes (mostly to include Wesker in them). Steve gets a new haircut. Not actually that much difference!

"When Wesker's not on screen, everybody should be asking 'Where's Wesker?'"

Jimbot posted:

I said Code Veronica because Claire (well, most women characters save maybe Ada) get done dirty by the franchise. Claire especially since her solo game is seen as a sort of black sheep of the franchise.

If we're talking Code Veronica, yeah, that wasn't her finest hour, but Revelations 2 was fantastic with how they handled Claire. Especially with Moira to bounce off of.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Grimthwacker posted:

"When Wesker's not on screen, everybody should be asking 'Where's Wesker?'"

If we're talking Code Veronica, yeah, that wasn't her finest hour, but Revelations 2 was fantastic with how they handled Claire. Especially with Moira to bounce off of.

Make a WandaVision esque 50s sitcom "That's Our Weskie"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I miss Wesker, they should bring him back to life again

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Larryb posted:

I miss Wesker, they should bring him back to life again

We've got Wekser Jr, he could have a heel turn and start pummelling good guys instead of bad guys.

Edit: Oh, and we've kinda got She-Wesker? I think?

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 3, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Make RE9 an interquel starring Wesker. Slot it right before RE5 or something.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The real question for RE9 is are they going to continue the "25 years in the future" they left off at or if Shadow of Rose was enough for them on that

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I said this the last time of how RE0 would work really well as a Revelations-type game. I almost feel like you could get two birds with one stone and remake both 0 and 1 in that style. The chapter system breaks up the different sections of the mansion, Rebecca recounts how she got separated from the remains of Bravo.

The only tricky part would be if you want to keep the RE1 weirdness of "neither of Chris or Jill's campaigns are 100% canon" or if you want to just make a choice about which campaign was the "correct" one like we got with RE2make and structure the different chapters that way.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Aces High posted:

I said this the last time of how RE0 would work really well as a Revelations-type game. I almost feel like you could get two birds with one stone and remake both 0 and 1 in that style. The chapter system breaks up the different sections of the mansion, Rebecca recounts how she got separated from the remains of Bravo.

The only tricky part would be if you want to keep the RE1 weirdness of "neither of Chris or Jill's campaigns are 100% canon" or if you want to just make a choice about which campaign was the "correct" one like we got with RE2make and structure the different chapters that way.
If you're already breaking up the story into distinct chapters, I feel like you'd basically have to go out of your way to structure it in a way where no part is 100% canon. Like, the whole idea is that they take place at different times and/or different places, which lends itself very well to shifting between different characters doing different things - rather than different characters doing the same things.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Jill now has no choice BUT to wait for Barry to return with the rope, because the chapter ends and now we gain control of Barry on a quest for that rope :v:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Barry's Quest is the Duke Nukem Forever of the RE world.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3EsfTH9Ts8

I liked Matt Mercer as Leon but it's so weird hearing him voice the character again, especially after Nick Apostolides absolutely nailed it in the 4 Remake. I wonder if it was a scheduling thing or something.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
remake leon would never ride a bike like that

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've been thinking about picking this game but I think I'm going to wait for a price drop.

Thread traffic seems to suggest that I'll get one or maybe two weeks out of it and then that's it.

What would you say is the average amount of time people here have spent on it?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I've been thinking about picking this game but I think I'm going to wait for a price drop.

Thread traffic seems to suggest that I'll get one or maybe two weeks out of it and then that's it.

150 hours here.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

For RE4R? It’s worth the price of admission, especially if you were a fan of the original. I played it for about a month, and I didn’t even unlock everything.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BiggerBoat posted:

I played it regularly for a month, my first run through was 13 hours on the game clock and then I had multiple runs after that using NG+ top get more weapons and then play around with the infinite rocket launcher. For what it's worth, that's just a little shorter than my usual play time for the original, and it's definitely one that'll go into my regular rotation so it'll have a lot of replay value.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I usually wait to replay games even if they’re short but I did like 6 or 7 runs of RE4 Remake in a row to unlock everything, was around 60ish hours I think. Will probably go back and play some more and do more mercenaries at some point too.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I've put like 40-50 hours into RE4 Remake. Partially because I did a standard run and then a hardcore run, but mostly because I'm slow. I'm usually a one run guy with Resident Evil games (RE1 and RE2 remakes being the other exceptions) but I've still got it installed because I plan to do a professional run after finishing YiiK (yeah, I know). RE4 Remake is good.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 10, 2023

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I bought RE4 back in April and I've only just killed the Verdugo. I absolutely love this remake and I wish I had more time to play it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I wish you did, too. Congrats on that, though! Keep kicking rear end!

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I have no idea what you mean with evil seaworld attraction. Like, what is the difference in your mind between what's in the game and an actual large aquarium?

In the original it was a simple glass tank housing zombie sharks. You find a note very early on that a researcher went mad and broke the tank. It means nothing until you enter the basement and it's flooded up to your waist and there are zombie sharks swimming around the room. It takes a minute to deal with. It's a classic RE gag along the lines of Oven Man or the double licker ambush in the RE2make lab.

In the REmake, it is a giant glass tube that has shattered and somehow flooded the entire room up to the catwalk circling it. The sharks are also bigger. It's a big set piece. Why is the room built like this? Why is there that much water? So you can get attacked by Jaws instead of a smaller shark, and panic while you run around to press buttons.

I realize my gripes are all about stylistic choices. I just like the original better, it feels more like a supernatural horror story where the twist is it's actually mad science. REmake has you collecting death masks to unleash count dracula in a(nother) hidden basement. It's too over the top, too busy. If they do REmake RE1 I just hope its more in line with the original vision than all this extra stuff they added.

To celebrate July 4th this morning I've finally finished my 4th RE4R run. Handguns/Knives only and perfect water-scooter challenges done. The American way.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why would the sharks have to be zombified?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

codo27 posted:

Why WOULDN'T you zombify one?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
It just feels kinda redundant. Same goes for guard dogs that are trained to kill anyway.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

It just feels kinda redundant. Same goes for guard dogs that are trained to kill anyway.

You would make a terrible Umbrella megalomaniac

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sharks trying to come after you but it's got several gaping flesh holes that cause it to take on water and slow down as you swipe at it with your combat knife, all the while sporting a light hearted grin.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Medullah posted:

You would make a terrible Umbrella megalomaniac

All this asking 'why?' nonsense

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Umbrella execs come up with increasingly ridiculous ideas for bioweapons and the one guy who suggests an injection that gives you superhuman strength and speed without mutations gets thrown out of the window

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

Umbrella execs come up with increasingly ridiculous ideas for bioweapons and the one guy who suggests an injection that gives you superhuman strength and speed without mutations gets thrown out of the window

"Sir, I'm just saying maybe this time DON'T have a whole bunch of eyes that are easily shot out on our bioweapon?"

"YOU'RE FIRED"

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

You can't have G Virus strains without the shoulder eyeballs

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Jimbot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3EsfTH9Ts8

I liked Matt Mercer as Leon but it's so weird hearing him voice the character again, especially after Nick Apostolides absolutely nailed it in the 4 Remake. I wonder if it was a scheduling thing or something.

The true bio weapon is the fact that apparently Jill never changes her clothes.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Bloodcider posted:

In the original it was a simple glass tank housing zombie sharks. You find a note very early on that a researcher went mad and broke the tank. It means nothing until you enter the basement and it's flooded up to your waist and there are zombie sharks swimming around the room. It takes a minute to deal with. It's a classic RE gag along the lines of Oven Man or the double licker ambush in the RE2make lab.

In the REmake, it is a giant glass tube that has shattered and somehow flooded the entire room up to the catwalk circling it. The sharks are also bigger. It's a big set piece. Why is the room built like this? Why is there that much water? So you can get attacked by Jaws instead of a smaller shark, and panic while you run around to press buttons.

I realize my gripes are all about stylistic choices. I just like the original better, it feels more like a supernatural horror story where the twist is it's actually mad science. REmake has you collecting death masks to unleash count dracula in a(nother) hidden basement. It's too over the top, too busy. If they do REmake RE1 I just hope its more in line with the original vision than all this extra stuff they added.
I never really gave the REmake version that much though, kinda just fudged the details in my head so it made sense, but I see your point. I guess I'm still a fan of the bigger research aquarium thing, but some semblance of realism wouldn't hurt. And by realism I mean making an even bigger tank, which was used to test the effect of the T-virus on an ecosystem. A tank so big that when it broke, it had enough water to fill the lower levels. The main catwalk room would then be like where they had their water filtration system and poo poo like that, rather than just a way for employees to have a workplace accident. To add some enemy variety, introduce sea anemone zombified researchers.

I do agree with you on the dracula, that bit doesn't feel entirely congruent with the rest of the setting, a little too self-aware by whoever did it. Actually, the player character is also being too aware, since I don't think there's any way for them to know that releasing the monster is gonna help them. Replacing dracula's dungeon with an older lab that has been partially stripped for use in their new improved lab would be more in line with the general evil science vibe. Like, make it a lab from like the 70s or whatever, which they've just repurposed as a garbage dump/cage for unruly critters.

WaltherFeng posted:

Luckily, he had already injected himself with that virus, so he just gets back up and starts planning the apocalypse.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

More games should have a dracula, tbh

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Crowetron posted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That isn't a Dracula, it is an Alucard! That is the opposite of a Dracula!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Crowetron posted:

the superior dracula is in code veronica

actually, dracula might be the solution to the alfred ashford remake issue. you think he's crossdressing, but he's actually infected with a virus that makes him hunger for blood, and he dresses up at night to distance himself from his feeding by taking up a dramatic persona like the theater kid he is. code veronica really is a much better fit for draculas than the mansion incident.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vakal posted:

The true bio weapon is the fact that apparently Jill never changes her clothes.

Just imagining opening the closet at the start of RE3 to see Jill's compete wardrobe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

codo27 posted:

SAme reason you put laser beams on their freakin heads. Duh.