Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I believe any and all hibiscus are edible and safe, as long as they didn’t grow in a trench where all the dogs pee, or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Annath posted:

Can I dry the flowers from my Hibiscus plant (Fiesta Hibiscus) and make tea, or does it need to be a specific variety?

If so, should I cut new flowers, or use the ones that fall off naturally?

It’s more common to use calyces of Hibiscus sabdariffa or H. acetosella, but what you have is H. rosa-sinensis, and its blossoms are edible.

I would cut them off while fresh and dry them.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ulvir posted:

I believe any and all hibiscus are edible and safe, as long as they didn’t grow in a trench where all the dogs pee, or whatever

“Piss Trench Hibiscus” while inedible, does have powerful username energy.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
No worse than Duck poo poo for a tea name

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
What is Yorkshire tea made of, anyone know? An English friend is saying it's the "true brew" but it's not sold here and I don't want to import it. Can I blend it if I know what tea types they use?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

NewFatMike posted:

“Piss Trench Hibiscus” while inedible, does have powerful username energy.

great crust-punk band name

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

What is Yorkshire tea made of, anyone know? An English friend is saying it's the "true brew" but it's not sold here and I don't want to import it. Can I blend it if I know what tea types they use?

If there's an ex-pat section anywhere, it should be sold there. It's the best and most popular cheap tea. It's just black tea, though, I don't feel like it would be possible to emulate it?

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Looks like the box says it's a blend of Assam, and some Kenyan and Rwandan-grown teas. I thought about ordering some (US Amazon has it - I think I only ever see PG Tips in the tiny British section of the grocery stores around me) to see if it's similar to anything else. But then I remembered I really don't like Assam so I probably wouldn't drink all of it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
TheSpiffingBrit mentions Yorkshire Tea in pretty much all of his videos.

The pics he uses are always the stuff with the red label, but apparently there is also Yorkshire Gold?

My local stores also only seems to carry PG Tips (even Wegmans!), so I'll probably order a box from Amazon just to try it out.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Annath posted:

TheSpiffingBrit mentions Yorkshire Tea in pretty much all of his videos.

The pics he uses are always the stuff with the red label, but apparently there is also Yorkshire Gold?

My local stores also only seems to carry PG Tips (even Wegmans!), so I'll probably order a box from Amazon just to try it out.

Yorkshire Gold is tasty. It's a lot different than PG Tips which I find to be a much thinner tea. YG has more body, and doesn't get astringent like PG Tips does if you leave it a little long. I'd also call YG more earthy/malty. World Market is the only place I've seen it in a grocery section.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Yorkshire Gold may be the best grocery store tea out there, but if you’re drinking loose leaf tea from a tea shop you’re already drinking better tea. With the Assam it’s more like an Irish breakfast than English breakfast blend, so if your tea shop has that, it’s the closest approximate. I tried subbing Yorkshire Gold for my daily Irish Breakfast when I wasn’t able to order from the tea shop for a while, and it was fine, but not good enough to replace the better tea shop blend long term

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
There's an Irish lady at work and she goes nuts for Yorkshire Gold. I enjoy it, but I think she's also just sick of the huge bag of Red Rose orange pekoe teabags that gets bought for office use.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

angerbeet posted:

There's an Irish lady at work and she goes nuts for Yorkshire Gold. I enjoy it, but I think she's also just sick of the huge bag of Red Rose orange pekoe teabags that gets bought for office use.

Just by myself I go through 4 boxes of the 160 bag boxes in a year. It is a solid daily drinker. I've kept it in my desk to brew at work before and it was entirely worth it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Jhet posted:

Just by myself I go through 4 boxes of the 160 bag boxes in a year. It is a solid daily drinker. I've kept it in my desk to brew at work before and it was entirely worth it.

We totally hid it where behind other tea boxes.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I visit my company's office in Poland relatively frequently. There's a big tea culture there. Someone in that office is really into herbal tea, that's often all that's left. So much mint. Thankfully even the convenience stores have a tolerable selection of tea bags, so I can buy a box to donate when I visit.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Guy Axlerod posted:

I visit my company's office in Poland relatively frequently. There's a big tea culture there. Someone in that office is really into herbal tea, that's often all that's left. So much mint. Thankfully even the convenience stores have a tolerable selection of tea bags, so I can buy a box to donate when I visit.

Mint tea is one of the best herbal teas imo (along with fennel). They're much better than those weird flavoured things that lots of tea shops sell nowadays.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A lot of places are overdoing it with the blending. I pretty much only drink pure leaf stuff.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm a sucker for Celestial Seasonings' Black Cherry Berry :saddowns:

It's really good cold.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I love mint tea, but I just keep a bag of dried mint on hand and add a pinch to whatever regular tea I have instead of buying a specific blend.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
Speaking of mint tea that's just leaves(mint only or mint+tea), any recommendations for loose leaf? I keep accidentally getting the flavored tea type weird ones.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I just put a wholesale order in for tea. Time for a couple kilos

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Growing your own mint is so delicious and satisfying. It has a buttery texture you don’t seem to get with processed leaves, even after it’s air-dried. Using it fresh is even better though, and it goes on for so many steepings.

The stems are also full of mint oils, which steep just as well (I have a friend who just chews on them lol)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail posted:

Speaking of mint tea that's just leaves(mint only or mint+tea), any recommendations for loose leaf? I keep accidentally getting the flavored tea type weird ones.

Upton makes fine peppermint and spearmint leaves-only loose leaf teas. Searching for them should bring them right up. I'm sure the other usual stores mentioned have it too.

I also don't mind the Celestial Seasonings peppermint bags, nothing wrong with those. I toured the factory years ago and was one of the few people who could stand the mint room for the whole presentation!

Also thanks for the reminder on iced Black Cherry Berry. Need to pick up a box for a refreshing summer treat.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Stuporstar posted:

Growing your own mint is so delicious and satisfying. It has a buttery texture you don’t seem to get with processed leaves, even after it’s air-dried. Using it fresh is even better though, and it goes on for so many steepings.

My mom had a mint plant that invaded her back yard, and one of her well meaning friends from church who was helping a Syrian refugee family immigrate kept coming over and taking big bundles of mint to dry for the family.

Anyways the Syrians were too nice to say that their house was slowly being taken over by bundles of dried mint, that friend eventually went over and noticed they had mint everywhere. A little goes a long way!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I like mint in a lot of stuff, just not tea. But we have some mint growing, maybe I'll try a fresh infusion. I have a jasmine green tea blend, maybe it would go with that?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Guy Axlerod posted:

I like mint in a lot of stuff, just not tea. But we have some mint growing, maybe I'll try a fresh infusion. I have a jasmine green tea blend, maybe it would go with that?

Idk about with jasmine, I'd expect the mint to overwhelm the nice light jasmine flavours and leave just the slightly gross base ones through. Plain green tea or oolong works best imo.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Just had my first taste of yellow tea from Yunnan Sourcing, and it was delicious! For the first 3 minute steep I think I was a little low on the temperature at 160F but it was still good - very mellow with no bitterness or astringency. For the second steep I cranked it up to 175F and with that I detected some mild spiciness in the aroma, and the taste had an umami and slightly warm earthiness to it. I haven't tasted anything quite like it before. Several minutes after finishing it I can still feel it on my palate.

I also got some competition grade tie guan yin samples I'll try soon. But so far my favorites from Yunnan have been their Dan Cong oolong and an amazing 2009 Gao Jia Shan "Wild Fu Zhuan" Hunan Brick Tea.

The next time I order I'm gonna try some purple tea!

drat I loves me some tea.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 21, 2023

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

We had yellow buds recently at my shop and I became addicted almost solely to that tea. It’s incredible.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I saw this barely-tea-related video and wanted to share it.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I'm looking for a good quality tea set for a birthday gift. Looking for something with at least the teapot, cream, and sugar bowls, as well as 4-6 cups and saucers. Tried looking on amazon, but only got some... questionable hits. Was wondering if any goons had recommendations? I hope this is the appropriate thread.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
comedy option is to hit up ebay and try to pick up a vintage noritake tea set

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

SoUncool posted:

I'm looking for a good quality tea set for a birthday gift. Looking for something with at least the teapot, cream, and sugar bowls, as well as 4-6 cups and saucers. Tried looking on amazon, but only got some... questionable hits. Was wondering if any goons had recommendations? I hope this is the appropriate thread.

Do you have a budget, this sounds like a European style tea set

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, should have specified the giftee is looking for an English tea set. I don't really have a budget here. I feel like I could say $250 and not really have any understanding of what that would give me. Good quality, will last, and has the authenticity of an English tea set? I feel like I'm woefully out of my depth here

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

SoUncool posted:

Yeah, should have specified the giftee is looking for an English tea set. I don't really have a budget here. I feel like I could say $250 and not really have any understanding of what that would give me. Good quality, will last, and has the authenticity of an English tea set? I feel like I'm woefully out of my depth here

You’re actually fairly on target for what you’re looking for, but unless you shop purely for aesthetics then it’s often a crapshoot for quality online. Your best bet may be estate sales and antique or thrift shops for a full set. That depends on if you’re willing to take the time to do so - otherwise, I think someone recommended Etsy, which mostly have similar results at markup and shipping.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

SoUncool posted:

do they actually want a fine china tea set or more an everyday sort of thing? For the former you'd need some knowledge to buy second hand (I certainly wouldn't know) or you could look at what Wedgewood, Selfridges, or Fortnum & Mason sells, and try and find it cheaper elsewhere/locally. I'd really recommend trying to see stuff in person though unless it's a super respected brand because there's a big difference in look between the nice stuff and the cheap ones. Personally I'd basically never use a fine china set. e: Spode is a good brand to look for, I've seen a lot of their stuff in person and it's nice, very classic/old fashioned design without looking dated. On their website they have a Morris & Co range which looks particularly interesting as I love the Morris designs, although unlike their other stuff it's "Made by our trusted partner outside the UK to our high standards." (i.e. China).

For the latter check out Emma Bridgewater, really nice designs.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 4, 2023

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks, y'all. I think this puts me on the right track.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It's not what SoUncool is looking for, but this chat reminded me of Arabia Finland and their stuff from the 60s. Just look at this:

I love it. One day, when I'm not living in a cramped shoebox...

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Hi tea thread! I've been throwing random combos of fruit into boiling water for a while now which has helped me cut back on soda and coffee.

This was ginger, plum and strawberry. Most of the time i'll drink these hot but anything with ginger tastes amazing chilled!

https://www.tealyra.co.uk is my go-to for loose leaf teas and it's their mini porcelain teapot I'm using.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
If you’re feeling brave try roasting some of the fruit, particularly if they have skins. There’s been a recent trend in the past few years making circulation of roasting stuff like lychee and the like before peeling and incorporating it to a tea steep. You might also experiment with botanicals as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've been experimenting with hop extract added to tea, adding some bitterness and complexity. Are there any teas with more of a beer-like flavor that might scratch this itch too?