Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yiik the cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm yiik'ing out here

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The only thing I remember about YIIK is watching a video of the boss fight against an alpaca that yells "lemonade," and also every character has a wacky attack minigame and the bossfight took approximately three thousand years. Cool with not remembering anything else tbh

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is SMTV good. I got it when it came out with the cool steel book and everything but had to put off playing it bc of school and I don't feel like it gets talked about as much as the others

I did enjoy Soul Hackers 2 though even though I think people didn't like that one?? But it never gets talked about either

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Endorph posted:

mallow is also gay

that and the mario/bowser/booster bear throuple polycule kiss scene meant smrpg was a huge boon for lgbtq+ representation

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Heath posted:

Is SMTV good. I got it when it came out with the cool steel book and everything but had to put off playing it bc of school and I don't feel like it gets talked about as much as the others

I did enjoy Soul Hackers 2 though even though I think people didn't like that one?? But it never gets talked about either

My only complaint is that it only has a few dungeons and only one I really liked.

Edit: the open world exploration is fine but the Wizardry like parts of SMT 3 are why I like it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The thing about persona 3 to 5 is that when the writing for individual moments is good it can be really, really good, and then it can also loving goddamn suck rear end because they immediately betray and fall foul of their own themes or feature some weird horny or phobic poo poo for absolutely no reason. p5 has the strongest aesthetics, p4 has the best mystery, P2 has the best writing and Hitler, p3 has a battle track that yells baby baby baby baby baby, P1 has the funniest localisation

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Heath posted:

Yes, it's good.

Antivehicular posted:

The only thing I remember about YIIK is watching a video of the boss fight against an alpaca that yells "lemonade," and also every character has a wacky attack minigame and the bossfight took approximately three thousand years. Cool with not remembering anything else tbh

That was actually the most interesting boss fight in the game.

My favorite part of YIIK is that the game encouraged you to spend a bunch of time grinding to max level and go all out on what seemed like the final boss, but if you did that the game would softlock because the fight is suppose to be unwinnable. You were suppose to lose, but they didn't actually give it stats to actually make it unwinnable. So if you won through just hitting the boss really hard, the game would freeze because they didn't make a script for that common, obvious eventuality.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
When people are talking about Persona 2 do you mean both parts? Because I feel like Innocent Sin was a much stronger game overall and when I think of stuff that kicks rear end in P2 I think of that game, and Baofu

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Alpaca that shouts lemonade sounds like some early 2000s flash video poo poo, but it doesn't look like it in the screenies I found.

Someone should actually make an RPG with an early 2000s flash animation aesthetic

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Alpaca that shouts lemonade sounds like some early 2000s flash video poo poo, but it doesn't look like it in the screenies I found.

Someone should actually make an RPG with an early 2000s flash animation aesthetic

Was Adventure Quest the flash RPG from the early 2000s? I know there was one everyone played that was like a pseudo mmo turn based thing?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

How about Symphony of the Night with early 2000s flash aesthetic instead
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2176510/Jrago_The_Demon_Hunter/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

The only thing I remember about YIIK is watching a video of the boss fight against an alpaca that yells "lemonade," and also every character has a wacky attack action minigame and the bossfight took approximately three thousand years. Cool with not remembering anything else tbh

iirc they patched out the alpaca thing but not the other things people complained about way more, confusing the hell out of people who thought it was dumb and silly and worst but literally not an actual game problem. I think they also patched out one special attack that would trivialize combat, can't go making it too easy after all.

Literally everything in combat is a 30 sec minigame. The only good thing about it are the rare occasions the game shits all over the protag, and the music. I think Toby Fox also distanced himself from it pretty quickly once the dev responses strayed into "reviewers don't understand real art" territory.

All actual criticisms aside, the lead dev was so obsessed with the death of Elisa Lam he basically made it a core plot thing, brings it up constantly, and let you magically rescue her in the secret ending. The kind of poo poo serial killer podcasts would host episodes on and try to see if that can link that game dev to the place/time she died.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

pentyne posted:

All actual criticisms aside, the lead dev was so obsessed with the death of Elisa Lam he basically made it a core plot thing, brings it up constantly, and let you magically rescue her in the secret ending. The kind of poo poo serial killer podcasts would host episodes on and try to see if that can link that game dev to the place/time she died.

That would actually make the game a lot better if he were connected but in like, a stupid way

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
YIIK 2.0 made changes to the combat and gave elements to different characters, the one based on the real life woman who was found dead in a water tank has the water element.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

iirc they patched out the alpaca thing but not the other things people complained about way more, confusing the hell out of people who thought it was dumb and silly and worst but literally not an actual game problem. I think they also patched out one special attack that would trivialize combat, can't go making it too easy after all.

Literally everything in combat is a 30 sec minigame. The only good thing about it are the rare occasions the game shits all over the protag, and the music. I think Toby Fox also distanced himself from it pretty quickly once the dev responses strayed into "reviewers don't understand real art" territory.

The crazy thing is that the beta version of the game had NONE of the Elisa Lam stuff and indeed a very different plot and characters. The dude suddenly stumbled upon Elisa Lam after the first version was made and completely changed everything to revolve around his crazed obsession.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The train scene in the second P2 game where we have a quiet moment and the previous protagonist drops this bomb

and all these broken adults sitting around him not answering until baofu says, kid, the pain never stops. That scene sits rent free in my head

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Leal posted:

YIIK 2.0 made changes to the combat and gave elements to different characters, the one based on the real life woman who was found dead in a water tank has the water element.

It’s lidonarrative something and you’ll find it’s good actually :smuggo:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The train scene in the second P2 game where we have a quiet moment and the previous protagonist drops this bomb

and all these broken adults sitting around him not answering until baofu says, kid, the pain never stops. That scene sits rent free in my head

In Animal Crossing there's a coffee place you can go to. If there's a villager with the childlike 'lazy' personality there, and you talk to them, sometimes they say "If coffee wakes you up, how come adults look so tired all the time?"

Yeah good question Bones. Good question.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

pog boyfriend posted:

dont bother. get on street fighter

This, or else.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Heath posted:

When people are talking about Persona 2 do you mean both parts? Because I feel like Innocent Sin was a much stronger game overall and when I think of stuff that kicks rear end in P2 I think of that game, and Baofu

Eternal Punishment is way better than Innocent Sin what are you smoking lmao

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Nintendo fans are just gamer Disney adults

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

Mods?!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
yiikseroo

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Nintendo is the only gameing company that makes things worth paying for, rear end clown.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol funny joke (suddenly gets very serious) i'm going to kill you

lol'd

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

gamers, gamers. please..... we have to put aside our differences

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

That DICK! posted:

gamers, gamers. please..... we have to put aside our differences

surely we can all agree diablo 4 *nervously looks at rest of thread* …sucks?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

all diablos stank

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Of all the SMT games I have had a chance to play, Devil Survivor was my favorite. I wanted to play Digital Devil Saga, but never got the chance.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Devil Survivor is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phgSTsVJEfU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

This brings back good memories

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Martman posted:

yiikseroo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

iwentdoodie posted:

Yep

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

My name's Deckard Cain and I come from Tristram. If you're looking for Dianlo, then you just missed him!

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

if you want to post about how everyone who likes games you don't sucks rear end and is wrong and spend all your time complaining about consoles you might try this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=44

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

:goofy:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Eat poo poo, troll

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

if you want to post about how everyone who likes games you don't sucks rear end and is wrong and spend all your time complaining about consoles you might try this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=44

yeah dude welcome to the conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Kchama posted:

The crazy thing is that the beta version of the game had NONE of the Elisa Lam stuff and indeed a very different plot and characters. The dude suddenly stumbled upon Elisa Lam after the first version was made and completely changed everything to revolve around his crazed obsession.

The worst piece of media about a nerdy white guy obsessing over an Asian girl since Pinkerton.