Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

phosdex posted:

Be funny if they still had you on the 1tb data limit.

I can hit the cap in 15 minutes now!

(jk, no cap :D)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I still doubt they'd let you use that port to it's capacity but regardless.. nice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Volguus posted:

I personally don't if I can get away with it. However, some applications that I had hosted internally required it (bitwarden, and a couple of others). At the beginning I just went with letsencrypt that was a pain to setup since the host was not visible outside the network (and I didn't wanna expose it either) and was a pain to maintain since it needed to use my domain provider's APIs and those are only available from a certain IP you configure and my ip was changing every few months.

After a while I just went with making my own Certificate Authority and just signing certificates for whatever hosts I needed and solved the problem once and for all. And with that I learned that chrome on Android does not like it when the certificate expires in 10 years (too long expiration time). Meh, whatever.

Thanks. So far nothing i have requires it. I figure if something was already accessing the LAN uninvited then packet encryption isn’t really going to save me. Probably just gonna leave it be but come back to your post if a future application necessitated it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sniep posted:

I still doubt they'd let you use that port to it's capacity but regardless.. nice.
Yeah, it's one thing for an ISP to say "you've got N Gbps now", it's another thing entirely to handle that the linerate 24/7/365.

I'm kinda surprised my ISP puts up with me using the 1/1Gbps@~$78/month at linerate.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

That Works posted:

Noob question so maybe this is dumb.

Should I run SSL/TLS https etc on my LAN?

I don't have anything exposed outside the LAN and have a tailscale exit node running off of the router itself and that's backed with 2fa. But, just for futzing around on the lan internally I didn't know if implementing https was good practice or totally unnecessary.

The point of TLS is to prevent someone from listening in to your traffic and/or modifying it in transit. For traffic that never leaves you LAN its probably pointless. Sure its easy to listen in to someone's wifi but your wifi encryption should put a stop to that making TLS unnecessary in that situation. That leaves wired traffic, which requires physical access. So I guess if you really don't trust your room mate or something? Now for traffic that leaves your LAN and goes over the internet sure, its a great idea for anything you even remotely care about.

That said screwing around with things on your LAN is a great way to learn about this stuff. So if that's your thing then go for it.

Edit: On the off chance you decide to do something over the internet I feel I should mention that its very easy to do TLS "wrong" and get little or no security from it. All versions of SSL are worthless and TLS 1.0 and 1.1 are nearly worthless. TLS 1.2 is fine but only if you stick to AES-GCM or ChaCha20 ciphers. For key exchange you should stick with ECDHE but DHE is ok if you are sure you're using a 2048 bit or larger exchange and RSA is also acceptable if you have a 2048 bit or larger (personally I prefer 4096 bit) private key that you do a good job of keeping secret. TLS 1.3 takes care of all of this by only allowing safe settings to begin with but not everything supports 1.3 yet. Regardless of the cipher settings or TLS version your certificate needs to use a 2048 bit or larger private key.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 21, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yeah, it's one thing for an ISP to say "you've got N Gbps now", it's another thing entirely to handle that the linerate 24/7/365.

I'm kinda surprised my ISP puts up with me using the 1/1Gbps@~$78/month at linerate.

Statistically there are barely any of you, almost everyone who gets gig+ fiber wants to see the number on ookla sometimes and then does nothing more complex than zoom meetings and streaming a video with the highest load being downloading call of duty once a year or whatever

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I would probably downgrade to 300mbps fiber if it had the same unlimited data cap. However there are a few times a month where I'm happy to see a big download going very fast.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah that is the only thing that keeps me on 1gb, anything lower has data caps, would probably be fine with 300-600.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
My current 70Mb FTTC contract is coming to an end, and while I can renew it with the same ISP (Plusnet, in the UK) for a few £ cheaper, I can also get 500/500Mb for the same price I'm currently paying. I do need to see if I can get the new ISP to put a fibre cable from the outside junction box to the loft as my phone line currently comes into the kitchen (then via a convoluted internal extension to the living room at the back, via the upstairs master bedroom) and I don't really want any networking equipment right next to my kettle.

I should probably get some quotes on how much it would cost to get new ethernet cabling run down from the loft - anybody got experience of having their networking equipment (and a NAS?) located there?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

What did moving the Wireguard portforwarding NAT rule to the top of the list do to make it work and why are the other port forwards I setup that are still below the masquerade lines functioning correctly? This is on a Mikrotik

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 22, 2023

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Rakeris posted:

Yeah that is the only thing that keeps me on 1gb, anything lower has data caps, would probably be fine with 300-600.

Price difference for me between 300 and 1gb is like $20 a month and honestly now that it feels like everything in my house is constantly wanting to download massive updates I find it useful often enough.

Also, gently caress you Citrix, my god you have a mandatory update like every 3 days.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I downgraded to 500 down/250 up fiber from symmetrical 1 gig fiber almost 5 years ago. I haven’t once missed the speed. The only time I even notice is downloading something from steam or Xbox

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

skipdogg posted:

I downgraded to 500 down/250 up fiber from symmetrical 1 gig fiber almost 5 years ago. I haven’t once missed the speed. The only time I even notice is downloading something from steam or Xbox

200mbps symmetrical would be just fine for me, but AT&T offers 300mbps with a data cap for $60 or 1gbps with no data cap for $80. The funniest part is you can pay to remove the data cap on the 300mbps plan.... for $30/mo.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

What did moving the Wireguard portforwarding NAT rule to the top of the list do to make it work and why are the other port forwards I setup that are still below the masquerade lines functioning correctly? This is on a Mikrotik

i think mikrotik does things in order there. do you something below that would have been a more general case of something for the wireguard rule that would have caught the wireguard incorrectly but wireguard is more specific so it doesn't catch the rest of the rule?

e: i'm pretty sure 100 symmetrical fiber would be fine for me but when we finally get it here i'll get gig for free so you won't see me complaining i just will barely ever hit it, i think the most intensive thing I personally do is accidentally leave too many workflows open that technically pull data feeds because of a mix of ADHD and trying to deal with email and phone tickets so the phone rings and demands attention while dealing with an email one

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Shugojin posted:

i think mikrotik does things in order there. do you something below that would have been a more general case of something for the wireguard rule that would have caught the wireguard incorrectly but wireguard is more specific so it doesn't catch the rest of the rule?

Yeah, I'm aware the rules are ordered, but I'm not sure why putting the Wireguard rule before everything else fixed the issue where the other ports I have forwarded do not need me to do this.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I don't think I've noticed a meaningful difference in my day to day usage since somewhere in the 50-100mbit/sec range. Everything above that has been faster downloads and that's it.

That said, when you go to watch a new movie and it turns out your totally legit DRM-free movie store had hardcoded Dutch subtitles for whatever stupid reason it's really nice to have gigabit+ speeds to fix that problem in the time it takes to make some popcorn. Or when you're hosting a LAN without a LANCache server set up and no one has the game installed.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Twerk from Home posted:

200mbps symmetrical would be just fine for me, but AT&T offers 300mbps with a data cap for $60 or 1gbps with no data cap for $80. The funniest part is you can pay to remove the data cap on the 300mbps plan.... for $30/mo.

Seems like you aren't in a competitive market. In Houston (big Xfinity market), AT&T has no caps on speeds greater than 300mbps ($55/month). I've had symmetrical gig fiber before and have not really missed the extra speed. Check the fine print on the plans in your market to be sure there's a cap.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Networking thread, lend me your collective wisdom.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805211209009.html

Alder Lake mini-PCs that are just the E-cores are finally shipping, and this looks ridiculously good for the price. Yes/no on grabbing one and slapping OPNsense on it?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Alder Lake mini-PCs that are just the E-cores are finally shipping, and this looks ridiculously good for the price. Yes/no on grabbing one and slapping OPNsense on it?
For a cheap soft-router, I'd say that a passively-cooled N100 is the most interesting products we've seen since the original Soekris boxes or the PCEngine APU.
It can even double as a HTPC.

I'd say the perfect product is one that includes a M.2 slot with a SIM reader, for LTE Advanced modem integration.

Also, lol at them calling a FreeBSD based appliance "Linux".

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

For a cheap soft-router, I'd say that a passively-cooled N100 is the most interesting products we've seen since the original Soekris boxes or the PCEngine APU.
It can even double as a HTPC.

I'd say the perfect product is one that includes a M.2 slot with a SIM reader, for LTE Advanced modem integration.

Also, lol at them calling a FreeBSD based appliance "Linux".

That model has two m.2 slots, and an m.2 riser to make the second, shorter m.2 that would normally be reserved for a wireless device to be used for another full-length m.2 device, so technically, it will do what you hope with an aftermarket modem.

Here is an STH review I found after posting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58nVTNYrJ3E

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 23, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm hoping that the Alder Lake cheapo Aliexpress mini PCs have fewer issues than the Tremont ones that I've been using, because I've had a couple of small problems with mine. I've got two of these Beelink U59 Pros with the N5105, 8GB / 500GB purchased for about $120 each: https://www.bee-link.com/u59-pro-n5105.

I used one as a VM host, and one as a Minecraft / PBS Kids game desktop for my kids. Here's a non-exhaustive list of what I've run into over the last year:

1. VM clients hang due to an Intel microcode bug. Proxmox forum has 34 pages of suffering as people reproduce it on every kernel under the sun and multiple host / client OSes. Finally fixed a few months ago with non-free intel firmware microcode update. This is a bug with the entire Tremont line regardless of OEM. Intel done hosed up. https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/vm-freezes-irregularly.111494/
  2. Analog stereo audio out is implemented via something cheap on an internal USB connection rather than HD Audio from the PCH like every other x86 computer I've ever used. Occasionally the audio will not come up right on a boot and a reboot is required to get sound. I don't have a forum link handy anymore, but a recent Windows Update killed everyone's audio permanently until you dig through Device Manager and manually uninstall the broken driver that Windows Update installed. Some users have bought USB sound cards to get around this.
  3. The windows key / licensing situation is.... questionable. They don't have Windows keys in the BIOS, so you can't just install Windows like any other modern OEM system. If you email Beelink support they will give you valid Windows 11 Pro keys via email: https://www.servethehome.com/beelink-eq12-pro-review-intel-i3-n305-alder-lake-n-is-amazing/4/
  4. More software distributed as binaries than you think requires AVX. AVX was introduced on Intel Core / AMD Bulldozer processors in 2011, but Atoms / Pentiums didn't get it until Alder Lake. Not as much of a problem for stuff where source is available, or things packaged by major Linux distros.

You don't need Windows or audio, and Alder Lake E-cores have AVX2 and shouldn't have major microcode bugs because they're more widely used than Atoms ever were, so I hope you don't find your own laundry list of lovely Intel or Topton bugs.

ComWalk
Mar 4, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

You don't need Windows or audio, and Alder Lake E-cores have AVX2 and shouldn't have major microcode bugs because they're more widely used than Atoms ever were, so I hope you don't find your own laundry list of lovely Intel or Topton bugs.

There is at least one microcode bug affecting the new stuff, but current kernels have workaround for it until the microcode update lands so it's not as bad as it could be, nothing catastrophic like the VM one for the last gen.

It's been running a little OPNsense VM for 2 weeks now, we'll see how it ages over time. Power competitive with the ER-4 it replaced, so there's that at least, and I think turning off some of the NICs would get it lower.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That model has two m.2 slots, and an m.2 riser to make the second, shorter m.2 that would normally be reserved for a wireless device to be used for another full-length m.2 device, so technically, it will do what you hope with an aftermarket modem.

Here is an STH review I found after posting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58nVTNYrJ3E
Only if you have an eSIM-capable LTE Advanced modem, and the one I'm thinking of doesn't.

EDIT: Welp, apparently it does.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 23, 2023

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Networking thread I have come from many miles to seek your insight.

The WiFi in my home is in a real sorry state. The WiFi router is in one corner and so anything on the other floors in opposite corners get pretty bad reception. It's 90 years old so I'm not sure if that's a factor in the signal dropping. I'm thinking it might be worth buying an upgrade to the included router my cable company adds-on, does anyone have any recommendations for something with good strength for its price to get the signal to the other floors?

Thanks!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Tom Tucker posted:

Networking thread I have come from many miles to seek your insight.

The WiFi in my home is in a real sorry state. The WiFi router is in one corner and so anything on the other floors in opposite corners get pretty bad reception. It's 90 years old so I'm not sure if that's a factor in the signal dropping. I'm thinking it might be worth buying an upgrade to the included router my cable company adds-on, does anyone have any recommendations for something with good strength for its price to get the signal to the other floors?

Thanks!

old lathe+plaster walls definitely attenuate wifi signals more than drywall, for sure.

the two easy solutions are wifi mesh extenders and powerline ethernet. generally it seems like wifi mesh is what most people prefer. If you have very congested wifi (eg, apartment complex) then it may not be the best solution tho.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Paul MaudDib posted:

old lathe+plaster walls definitely attenuate wifi signals more than drywall, for sure.

the two easy solutions are wifi mesh extenders and powerline ethernet. generally it seems like wifi mesh is what most people prefer. If you have very congested wifi (eg, apartment complex) then it may not be the best solution tho.

Thanks that's good to know - any recommendations? I see some more budget-friendly ones for ~$100 but is it worth going up to the $250 range? It's a ~3,400 sq foot house with living space from the basement to the third floor attic.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
does powerline ethernet have a hard dimensional requirement for transformers or something like that? it's weird to me that nobody makes a USB-C charger with powerline ethernet built into it, because "one cable for power and internet' sounds like a compelling user story for powerline ethernet. But I guess my powerline adapters are all decently bulky and maybe you just can't fit that very well in a USB-C charger thing?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

does powerline ethernet have a hard dimensional requirement for transformers or something like that? it's weird to me that nobody makes a USB-C charger with powerline ethernet built into it, because "one cable for power and internet' sounds like a compelling user story for powerline ethernet. But I guess my powerline adapters are all decently bulky and maybe you just can't fit that very well in a USB-C charger thing?

There are Dell monitors that have eth port built in and usb-c out that can transport power, video and ethernet over that usb-c cable to your laptop.They're definitely doing it.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

Powerline networking isn't super common because the speed of the connection is highly dependent on the type and quality of the wiring in the house. The stuff installed in a home built 60+ years ago is nothing like what is used in new construction today. And there have been all sorts of variations over the years. Like aluminum wiring. Network speed is also very affected by the quality and design (read age) of any GFCI breakers that might be in the circuit. There are just too many possible variations in what might in your walls for companies to want to deal with trying to make it work in a reliable and consistent manner. The support costs would be a nightmare. Also wifi works well enough for most people and is pretty easy to setup.

Now if you are talking about Power Over Ethernet (PoE) well that's actually pretty common in the enterprise space. You don't see it in the home too much because it just isn't needed. Most people aren't trying to stick a wifi AP on a ceiling 40 feet in the air, put a switch in some super hard to access spot, or otherwise installing network gear in a location where running a second cable for power would be very expensive. Think deploying wifi in a 500,000 square foot warehouse for example.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 24, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Volguus posted:

There are Dell monitors that have eth port built in and usb-c out that can transport power, video and ethernet over that usb-c cable to your laptop.They're definitely doing it.

with powerline ethernet from their power supply? can you link those? that's actually super interesting. or even just a regular ethernet drop?

I generally hate overloading other "multifunctional" poo poo into my monitor - my X34GS has terrible coil whine if it's charging a laptop, I tried a couple exchanges and they all had it too. And that got me thinking about like the LG (or was it dell?) with the thunderbolt built in so you can use it as a dock... ok but now you are trusting your monitor's Thunderbolt implementation (and they're buggy) and limited to that one specific monitor with that one specific feature.

I get the merit if you can make the "monitor as a dock" idea work, you can have a super clean workspace with just one cable for the monitor (route it through the desk or the table leg or the wall) and one cable to the laptop. But that monitor better be a good one and you can live with it forever cause what else are you gonna replace it with? that exact set of features is never gonna recur unfortunately lol. As a practical matter, it's easier to just use a separate dock.

I was just thinking that powerline ethernet + usb charging could be something that worked together easy on a USB-C cable (most of them have data anyway). A charger that had both of them would be neat.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 24, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Antillie posted:

Powerline networking isn't super common because the speed of the connection is highly dependent on the type and quality of the wiring in the house. The stuff installed in a home built 60+ years ago is nothing like what is used in new construction today. And there have been all sorts of variations over the years. Like aluminum wiring. Network speed is also very affected by the quality and design (read age) of any GFCI breakers that might be in the circuit. There are just too many possible variations in what might in your walls for companies to want to deal with trying to make it work in a reliable and consistent manner. The support costs would be a nightmare. Also wifi works well enough for most people and is pretty easy to setup.

it totally doesn't deliver anywhere near its rated speed, but it does it a lot more consistently than congested apartment wifi bands, with lower latency. I'll take 100mbps but it's low latency and works 100% of the time with no dropouts vs wifi with good bulk transfer normally but 35-50ms with dropouts during peak hours etc.

Even in a house with knob-and-tube it was a reliable 10mbps for going across the whole house, it was the best option in some places. I'm serious. That's an easy story for user installation. Put your PCs in the places where you want them - PC in the den, charger in the bedroom and livingroom, etc, and get ethernet for free when you plug in your laptop and without pulling cables etc (we didn't own the place). Especially if you need mesh repeaters etc, like, those mesh repeaters can connect to powerline too. Slow perhaps but it's an option in the mesh and can allow QOS etc. I am also serious that the gaming experience over powerline was way way better, it's much lower latency even if it's not as fast.

Antillie posted:

Now if you are talking about Power Over Ethernet (PoE) well that's actually pretty common in the enterprise space. You don't see it in the home too much because it just isn't needed. Most people aren't trying to shove a crap ton of tiny form factor servers into a shelf or stick a wifi AP on a ceiling 40 feet in the air where running a second cable for power is very expensive.

... shelf of tiny form factor PoE servers? Go on... :getin:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 24, 2023

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

If you want networking without pulling wires, don't skip MoCA as an option. More expensive than powerline (at least last time I checked) but better bandwidth in most cases. Bad idea in shared buildings though since nothing stops your network from connecting to everybody else.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

with powerline ethernet from their power supply? can you link those? that's actually super interesting. or even just a regular ethernet drop?

I generally hate overloading other "multifunctional" poo poo into my monitor - my X34GS has terrible coil whine if it's charging a laptop, I tried a couple exchanges and they all had it too. And that got me thinking about like the LG (or was it dell?) with the thunderbolt built in so you can use it as a dock... ok but now you are trusting your monitor's Thunderbolt implementation (and they're buggy) and limited to that one specific monitor with that one specific feature.

I get the merit if you can make the "monitor as a dock" idea work, you can have a super clean workspace with just one cable for the monitor (route it through the desk or the table leg or the wall) and one cable to the laptop. But that monitor better be a good one and you can live with it forever cause what else are you gonna replace it with? that exact set of features is never gonna recur unfortunately lol. As a practical matter, it's easier to just use a separate dock.

I was just thinking that powerline ethernet + usb charging could be something that worked together easy on a USB-C cable (most of them have data anyway). A charger that had both of them would be neat.

I have this (but new and actually bought from Dell) at work.I plug in a network cable in it, USB keyboard and mouse and the the USB-C into the laptop and I have 2 monitors, eth networking, charging, everything through 1 usb c cable.
I have this at home. It claims it can do the same things, but I never tried it (I do see another realtek eth port available though).

The laptop does complain every now and then that the charger is slow, but gently caress it, it works well enough.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 24, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Tom Tucker posted:

Thanks that's good to know - any recommendations? I see some more budget-friendly ones for ~$100 but is it worth going up to the $250 range? It's a ~3,400 sq foot house with living space from the basement to the third floor attic.

I legitimately don't know. I think some of it depends on how congested your airwaves are etc. Wifi 6 is 2.4+5 GHz at the same time or something, and 6E adds another couple channels (that since they are previously out-of-band of everything, are totally uncongested for now). Costco has a couple options, I think the Deco 6E and they have Nighthawk somethingorother that's cheaper? They go on sale a lot. Costco tends to have decent taste in goods selection, can't personally vouch for those but they usually have a couple decent options in their range (including tech from what I've seen). Maybe that'd at least give you a target.

$175 at the low end and $275-300 at the high end (which are the sale prices I'm vaguely remembering) sound like reasonable numbers for a mesh repeater 3-pack, just at a bill of goods level. It's three mini routers / wifi chipsets, $60 a pop for an Archer C7 AC1750 has always been the deal too. $100 for 3 sounds suspiciously cheap but idk really, maybe someone has developed a good cheap clone of something.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 24, 2023

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Sounds good thanks! I think I'll invest in some 6 and hopefully be future-proof for a bit while we live here.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

power crystals posted:

If you want networking without pulling wires, don't skip MoCA as an option. More expensive than powerline (at least last time I checked) but better bandwidth in most cases. Bad idea in shared buildings though since nothing stops your network from connecting to everybody else.

MOCA is expensive as poo poo too btw lol. I'm not sure where most people would have cable to cable runs that matter anymore, I don't see anyone with every-room cable installs much. I have a few specific links that might notionally be interesting, but again, I think it's $300 for two transceivers, ehh for $300 I'll just run a cat6 or singlemode fiber there if I want.

Good networking equipment isn't cheap, whether that's a 5G modem SOC on your phone, or a wireless implementation, or the powerline adapters, etc - it sucks but there is a pretty definite minimum cost to some of this, like do you really want to trust the <$60 router when the Archer C7 AC1750 is right there? :whitewater: (You can use a real router in mesh mode if you want too, it's just less convenient than an off the shelf solution)

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
It’s about 70$ per device. Gocoax makes ones with a 2.5 gbit port

And you can buy a filter to put on the incoming line so the whole block does not see your network in their network neighbourhood.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
MoCA is so vastly superior to powerline I'm not sure how anyone could recommend powerline. Unless you're staying on the same electrical circuit your speed is going to get crushed because the breaker types needed for places like bedrooms degrade the signal so badly it's not worth it unless you desperately need a wired connection there and the bandwidth needed is really low. I think the couple times I tried it was getting something like 1MB/s or so across circuit breakers.

I bought MoCA adapters to wire the office in my house and they do full gigabit speed.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I run powerline between floors, through modern GFCI breakers - the link tops out at around 70 megabits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Paul MaudDib posted:

MOCA is expensive as poo poo too btw lol. I'm not sure where most people would have cable to cable runs that matter anymore, I don't see anyone with every-room cable installs much. I have a few specific links that might notionally be interesting, but again, I think it's $300 for two transceivers, ehh for $300 I'll just run a cat6 or singlemode fiber there if I want.

I did specify "without pulling wires". Of course if you can do that it's the best option, but plenty of people rent or otherwise live somewhere where they can't (or just don't want to). If your goal is just "connect PC in one room to router somewhere else" and you aren't trying to build a whole house network then that one time $200-300 purchase isn't unreasonable. It's not that much more than a decent wifi router anyway.