Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Russia is still playing at being a liberal democracy and mimic the west.

Yeah they have laws on the books that can used against someone if they want to, but things aren't even nearly as bad as protesters getting black bagged during the height of 2020 protests in USA.

While in Ukraine people regularly get a court trial behind closed doors and jail time for posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

however i don't blame any of you from being unable to do anything about it tho

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

tristeham posted:

read settlers bitch

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

yellowcar posted:

however i don't blame any of you from being unable to do anything about it tho

i will absolve anyone in itt for only 99.95, limited time offer

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

you keep saying "be gay, do crimes"

well time to live up to the second part

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

Unlimited genocide on the first world? But I live in the first world...

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Brain Candy posted:

it's not about guilt, it's about causation. there's millions of people who benefit from empire who cheer for empire

and it's not because of some sinister trick by elites, it's because of the fruits of empire. you getting them too if you are paid in dollars with a us legal wage. those are being less freely distributed, but there's still extracted labor in every bloodsoaked dollar. this is why at best you can find less empire, not none, as a position in even the fringe candidates

that people are largerly at the mercy of forces greater than them is the human condition, it's a question of what will those forces make people do!

i love the dual reaction to pener being like 'nuh uh individual choise matterin... thats liberalism' and also 'i am giving everybody (read:myself) clemency', prompted by the claim that americans looooove amazon and don't want it to go away lol.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The US home ownership rate is still something like 66%. Maybe most of those aren't lavish villas, but Americans are a uniquely propertied population and the possession of that wealth no matter how relatively minor it may seem induces Americans into adopting the same interests as the petit bourgeois. How often are we going to keep going through political cycles where Friedrich Ebert faces off against Mussolini before we admit that Americans in a broad sense are ur-fascist slime?

The US isn't even in the top 20 countries by home ownership rate. That's worse rate than most of the EU. Russia and China both have a higher home ownership rate.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I'm gonna vote Less Imperialism so dang hard next time

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

The US isn't even in the top 20 countries by home ownership rate. That's worse rate than most of the EU. Russia and China both have a higher home ownership rate.

Yes, and homeowners are the ones who vote. Being propertied has a material impact on their personal interest which makes them reflexively liberal and status-quo seeking, unless the change to the status quo is a lower property tax.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

if u live in the first world, you have already sinned

no amount self-actualization or critical awareness will wash that away

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

If American citizens are culpable for the crimes of the empire, does that mean every American has a duty to fight for hearts and minds of their country men to spiritually shift the course of the war?

Have GBS and D&D been right all along? Is SomethingAwful really a front in the posting war for Ukraine?

I am posting for freedom!

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

yellowcar posted:

you keep saying "be gay, do crimes"

well time to live up to the second part

What if you live somewhere simply being gay is a crime?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nix Panicus posted:

If American citizens are culpable for the crimes of the empire, does that mean every American has a duty to fight for hearts and minds of their country men to spiritually shift the course of the war?

Have GBS and D&D been right all along? Is SomethingAwful really is a front in posting war for Ukraine?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fell Mood posted:

Good job, very efficient. Work smarter not harder

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Nix Panicus posted:

Have GBS and D&D been right all along? Is SomethingAwful really is a front in posting war for Ukraine?

no not at all

the point is "every american is guilty" and that's that

whether you should/could/would do anything about it is moot

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Russia - Ukraine has many choices ahead of it, and a significant surplus of resources to pounce on opportunities.

Ukraine’s counteroffensive has been brutal and slow. But Kyiv has many cards left to play

Analysis by Nick Paton Walsh, CNN
Updated 8:50 AM EDT, Wed June 21, 2023

For months, we have seen a patient bid by Ukraine to erode the readiness of Russian defenses. The slow drip of explosions at fuel depots, headquarters and on railway lines has been about weakening Russia’s ability to withstand and adapt to the first major assaults.

This painstaking work continues, with a reported blast Sunday in the occupied village of Rykove, in the Kherson region, that leveled an apparent ammunition dump. Open-source analysts have noted the huge blast pattern suggests significant secondary explosions. The attack is also, they noted, more than 100 kilometers (62 miles) inside enemy territory, suggesting either an acute lack of awareness among Russian ranks of the new dangers they face from longer-range NATO-supplied missiles, or an inability to adapt and alter their presence accordingly.

Rykove sits close to Crimea, in an area whose railway supply lines are already probably impaired by recent surgical Ukrainian attacks.

No single strike is terminal, but a slow accumulation of damage reduces Russian options and can, eventually, lead to cracks in their forces’ defensive network, or their basic ability to function. As Russia has moved to respond to Ukraine’s advances in recent weeks, it will have given away key signals about its readiness, supply issues and priorities. Western satellites are likely providing clear information about Moscow’s recalibrations to Kyiv.

Few analysts contend he can stomach the latter, and so we may face a long siege of the peninsula over the winter months, as Kyiv returns Moscow to the boundaries it stole in 2014-15, or worse. It is arguably a symbolic defeat for Moscow (and a definable victory for Kyiv) to see Russia’s past 16 months of carnage and losses end in no strategic gain.

The question for July is how this is achieved.

Yet there is reason for optimism in Ukraine’s capital. Last summer, silence and gridlock eventually turned into a Russian collapse around Kharkiv. The withdrawal from Kherson showed too that Moscow was still then able to recognize realities and react to them. Putin’s top brass will have learned from last year’s defeats, and he likely will be enormously emotional about the fate of Crimea.

But, as the world has seen in graphic detail, the Russian military’s failings are abundant and losses horrific – and any steep tactical learning curve will not have been matched by a similar improvement in training and equipment. Russia has one option, to endure and hope this winter cements the survival of its current occupation. Ukraine has many choices ahead of it, and a significant surplus of resources to pounce on opportunities, even as the clock is now loudly ticking.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Fell Mood posted:

well do more crime what's stopping you

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

istg americans are the most cuck mindset people in the world lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how is ukriane going to siege crimea with no navy

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Ardennes posted:

A lot of it was emotional rather than logical, the American elite, particularly boomers had grown up being taught that not only the Soviets/Communists were the real threat that must be destroyed, but Russia as a concept. This is something the Russians never really got, they thought they problem was just political, it wasn't. Putin and other Russian liberals hated communism as much as American liberals "lets just be friends etc etc" but a fundamental part of liberalism is indoctrinated racial hatred (and it is), and that just wouldn't go away.

It made more sense for the US to back off and/or at least play Russia off China, they couldn't, and as China economically grew, they became too indispensable, so it eventually became a "everything on Russia" strategy. They aren't going to give up easily on it, but it seems Russia finally figured it out.

I'm pretty convinced by the argument, made by Brian Becker, that the basic driver of the antagonism was that, were Russia allowed into the European club, America's junior partners on the continent would no longer be junior, that a German or Franco-German bloc with Russia would have been the natural development, and the US would have no way to keep them subordinated.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yellowcar posted:

istg americans are the most cuck mindset people in the world lol

we love rich and powerful people BECAUSE they're rich and powerful. We're absolute freaks.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

BadOptics posted:

Lol that the rest of the forum thinks CSPAM is a hotbed of TANKIE Marxist-Leninists and you have people in this thread talking electoralism and the culpability of the electorate as if capitalist "democracy" isn't a sham that benefits the dictatorship of the capitalists/bourgeoisie classes.

Scratch an ultra, and a suburban radlib bleeds, you know.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

it's very funny to post in a thread with an incredible capacity for understanding the nuance of material and political conditions that actually led to a criminal invasion by a neoliberal state taking place, without that being a condemnation of the Russian soul as liberals believe

yet the average American is in control of the actions of the very same machine that set the stage for said criminal invasion, and not just a different population that has been subjected to decades of hard work to systemically crush any resistance to its desires

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I don't eat the pedophile ice cream. What more do you want?

fizzy posted:

Bad news for Russia - Ukraine has many choices ahead of it, and a significant surplus of resources to pounce on opportunities.

God drat how many people are dedicated to generating this content.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i shoplifted a breakfast taco today

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The337th posted:

it's very funny to post in a thread with an incredible capacity for understanding the nuance of material and political conditions that actually led to a criminal invasion by a neoliberal state taking place, without that being a condemnation of the Russian soul as liberals believe

yet the average American is in control of the actions of the very same machine that set the stage for said criminal invasion, and not just a different population that has been subjected to decades of hard work to systemically crush any resistance to its desires

americans suck rear end and should stop existing

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!
While I guess you can argue that many/most American are personally less "moral" by virtue of being okay with US imperialism, that just seems like a different flavor of the typical liberal focus on individuals being guilty of racism/sexism. Like it's technically true, but it's not particularly relevant.

Hell, if anything the liberals are *more* correct here. They can at least argue that individuals being racist/sexist has an actual tangible negative impact on other people, but some random American just passively absorbing propaganda about our military or foreign countries and approving of it has literally zero impact on anything. All you're doing is meaninglessly assigning some sort of moral status based off a person's opinions.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

yellowcar posted:

americans suck rear end and should stop existing

if only the ugly Americans weren't tainting the goodness of the other virtuous westerners

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The337th posted:

if only the ugly Americans weren't tainting the goodness of the other virtuous westerners

they suck too

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if anything it's immigrants who are most imperialist because they chose to come here

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

euphronius posted:

how is ukriane going to siege crimea with no navy

i think the idea is that once the Russian soldiers start retreating they just keep going all the way back through Crimea until they eventually fall into the Black Sea

Ukraine is having a little bit of trouble getting that first part going right at this moment though...

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

yellowcar posted:

america suck rear end and should stop existing

revising two letters is all it takes to make this a coherent statement

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

While I guess you can argue that many/most American are personally less "moral" by virtue of being okay with US imperialism, that just seems like a different flavor of the typical liberal focus on individuals being guilty of racism/sexism. Like it's technically true, but it's not particularly relevant.

Hell, if anything the liberals are *more* correct here. They can at least argue that individuals being racist/sexist has an actual tangible negative impact on other people, but some random American just passively absorbing propaganda about our military or foreign countries and approving of it has literally zero impact on anything. All you're doing is meaninglessly assigning some sort of moral status based off a person's opinions.

At the end of the day, they're still voting for Hitler.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

All you're doing is meaninglessly assigning some sort of moral status based off a person's opinions.

Isn't this literally liberalism

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

i don’t think I would call 12 yo Guatemalans working under the table in suburban restaurants imperialists

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

guilty for all the trappings of a first world imperial subject

not guilty for being unable to do anything about it

there are your feelings unhurt now

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

euphronius posted:

i don’t think I would call 12 yo Guatemalans working under the table in suburban restaurants imperialists

yet they participate in the imperial core. curious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

At the end of the day, they're still voting for Hitler.

voting, lol