Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB6BtaQ6Gy0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I'd be interested to hear what Jericho had to say about this.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

is this the tom green show but way worse

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Eric Andre Show is legit amazing+great

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Orange Carlisle posted:

:dafuq:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
how have you been on the internet since at least 2007 and not become aware of the eric andre show

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Chris James 2 posted:

The first season in particular is absolute gold

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5urkfdMUXo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Chris James 2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h58BN-w-lxg

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Orange Carlisle posted:

Yeah but it's still a great show, Green was just an innovator.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I don't think I'm young enough to 'get it' and that's alright

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm sure that's how my parents felt when they watched young me laugh at the tom green show so I'm not gonna hate

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

ill always be young

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah but it's still a great show, Green was just an innovator.

qft

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

we're off the books.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Orange Carlisle posted:

I don't think I'm young enough to 'get it' and that's alright

im nearing 40 and get it, its not an age thing

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm only talking about the chris jericho sketch

otherwise funny guys literally just standing there making noises for a few minutes

just figured it was meant for kids because they like loud noises with no explanation but if it made people laugh then awesome it's just not for me

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

then again I don't think anything on adult swim is for me so continue to enjoy, young at heart posters and jungle boys

I've got no hate for things I don't understand I just stay in my lane shouting at clouds

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel lIke the most mainstream regular wrestler is probably The Miz? Like he’s perpetually popping up on ESPN or in celebrity all star games and stuff like that. Plus he’s got reality tv roots and a recent/current show? I feel like he’s the only active wrestler in the world some family member or friend might recognize. If just as that loud guy about Cleveland sports.

I don’t feel like I’ve ever seen any or heard any kind of acknowledgement of Jericho outside of wrestling. Maybe in like deep hair metal circles? I can’t say. Even like in horror circles he’s not a dude anyone really notices pop up in films or something.

Danielson’s Yes chant is probably still kind of mainstream but I doubt he is.

I really can’t think of anyone besides Miz. I don’t watch Star Wars. Is Sasha/Mercedes someone there?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like Foley is more MAINSTREAM than most give him credit.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

STAC Goat posted:

I feel lIke the most mainstream regular wrestler is probably The Miz? Like he’s perpetually popping up on ESPN or in celebrity all star games and stuff like that. Plus he’s got reality tv roots and a recent/current show? I feel like he’s the only active wrestler in the world some family member or friend might recognize. If just as that loud guy about Cleveland sports.

I don’t feel like I’ve ever seen any or heard any kind of acknowledgement of Jericho outside of wrestling. Maybe in like deep hair metal circles? I can’t say. Even like in horror circles he’s not a dude anyone really notices pop up in films or something.

Danielson’s Yes chant is probably still kind of mainstream but I doubt he is.

I really can’t think of anyone besides Miz. I don’t watch Star Wars. Is Sasha/Mercedes someone there?

When the Kelce brothers were talking about who they were getting congratulations from for making the Super Bowl, they both mentioned the Miz. Travis knew him from WWE, but Jason knew him from MTV.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I feel like "mainstream" needs a definition. Like Miz is at football games and the media, but if you ask the average person who Undertaker or Mick Foley or John Cena is there's a decent chance they'll know he's a wrestler just via cultural osmosis. I'm not sure that's true of the Miz or Jericho (maybe Jericho).

I think an interesting question is whose the best/most famous wrestler whose only known in wrestling and not in the "mainstream". Sting comes to mind, just an absolute wrestling legend but I doubt non-wrestling fans would know Sting, or think you're talking about the Police bassist.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 22, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Miz is like reality TV star of famous which makes perfect sense for him.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Kvlt! posted:

I think an interesting question is whose the best/most famous wrestler whose only known in wrestling and not in the "mainstream". Sting comes to mind, just an absolute wrestling legend but I doubt non-wrestling fans would know Sting, or think you're talking about the Police bassist.

It pretty much has to be Stone Cold cause he never had any real success in Hollywood besides being in ensemble movies like Expendables or whatever Adam Sandler movie's coming out this week

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like the definition of mainstream for me is that people recognize someone not from wrestling. People have seen Rock or Hogan or Cena or Flair in movies or commercials or general pop culture appearances.

Miz seems to actively work to make himself relevant in that way. He clearly actively seeks out attention at every opportunity and he never goes unnoticed at a celebrity all star game or pre game appearance or something. He’s an attention whore but he’s always been going back to the Real World and it’s had 20 years of slow impact as he grinded at it nonstop.

I really have no idea if there’s anyone who recognizes Chris Jericho from an appearance on Adult Swim or a B movie or his band. Maybe but it feels much more “niche” than “mainstream” to me.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Drakkel posted:

It pretty much has to be Stone Cold cause he never had any real success in Hollywood besides being in ensemble movies like Expendables or whatever Adam Sandler movie's coming out this week

True but I feel like an average person would at least know hes a wrestler, as opposed to Sting where people would be like "theres a wrestler called Sting?"

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Remember when Chris Jericho has the game show where they dropped stuff off a roof with a conveyor belt

I think about that sometimes

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Island Nation posted:

Roman doesn't even sniff the top 10 of wrestlers known to the general public. You have to be known in things people could've seen. My rough idea is this but it changes constantly:

Rock (no contest)
Hogan
Cena
Austin
Flair (Ric obviously)
Savage
Ba(u)tista
Andre
Goldberg
Piper

Brock and Ronda are better known for MMA. Taker didn't do much in public due to wanting to keep kayfabe so his Q score suffers here. Jericho has hosted a game show and been on DWTS but Judas isn't the chart topper people in the bubble think it is. I really wanted to put in HHH up there but Blade Trinity doesn't hold a candle to They Live in the public collective. Ventura is better known for acting and commentary and that whole inexplicable rise to MN governor but not his wrestling.

Hell, depending on how successful it really was to the public and not propped up by NBCUniversal, people in Total Divas/Bellas could be more popular among reality show fans. Miz falls in here too.

Also, remember the golden age of mainstream wrestling took off in popularity not due to Hulkamania but because Lou Albano and Cyndi Lauper once shared a airplane and a strange but lucrative connection was formed.

Batista wins because he appeared on Neighbours.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Mick Foley worked with Judah Friedlander from Wonder Showzen, so...

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Do you think more people recognize Lou Albano as Mario from the Mario Bros Super Show than as a wrestler?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Drakkel posted:

Do you think more people recognize Lou Albano as Mario from the Mario Bros Super Show than as a wrestler?

Mario for sure

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I'm more famous that any wrestler

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Everyone knows Kane, for some reason. Maybe just because he’s a huge guy in an imposing costume. It’s always Austin, Taker, Foley, and Kane.

And come on, surrealist talk show parodies where the guest may or may not be in on the joke are what 11PM Cartoon Network was built on.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 22, 2023

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

jericho just did masked singer and hes a dance show vet

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

jericho just did masked singer and hes a dance show vet

He also hosted a network game show too (albeit a very short-lived one)

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

SpeakSlow posted:

Mick Foley worked with ICP from Psychopathic Records, so...

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Drakkel posted:

More people would recognise him from the Cindy Lauper music videos.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Drakkel posted:

Was Mario and was in the "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" music video. I think so. If it was just Mario maybe/maybe not but Cyndi Lauper puts non-wrestling over the top

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55OZjKG0vi0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Chris James 2 posted:

Was Mario and was in the "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" music video. I think so. If it was just Mario maybe/maybe not but Cyndi Lauper puts non-wrestling over the top

And the She-Bop