Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

Find a friend with a ps5 and remote play from theirs

Not mine though, please use someone else's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

Buy the god drat console.

Lol. "So let it be written; so let it be done."

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
It's also cool you can go and buy the console now and not wake up at 4:30 a.m. because you heard a rumor of a Best Buy drop at 5...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah even Amazon freely has the console now. You can just order one there now with two day free shipping.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I got a PS5 primarily for FF16, and I've been having a lot of fun going through games from the comfort of my recliner and my TV. Playing a longass RPG like Persona 5 would have kinda sucked if I had to spend the entire playthrough sitting at my computer desk.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

It's 4:30am in the UK and I just woke up because it's too hot and sweaty. I should probably try to get back to sleep but I know that ff16 is installed and ready for me..

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Mainwaring posted:

It's 4:30am in the UK and I just woke up because it's too hot and sweaty. I should probably try to get back to sleep but I know that ff16 is installed and ready for me..

Ifrit is calling

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this game isnt game of thrones, its ultraman

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Danger posted:

drat the character interactions in this are so good. Like it definitely has like the violence of GoT but none of the cynicism if that makes sense.

Yeah, I played for an hour or two and that was my impression as well. I hated GoT’s cynicism, so I really appreciate it.

I feel really bad at the combat, but like I can just mash buttons and it really doesn’t matter.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Digital preorders are now unlocked in the US

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You can get pretty far by button mashing but I would recommend at least putting some planning into your attacks if just because the difference between mashing rando buttons and properly using skills can cut combat time in half or more and helps make some enemies feel like HP spongey.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Using R1 to dodge is going to take some getting used to, but I always use the recommended config because I believe that devs do this for a reason and I have faith in Suzuki having configured the game's controls for reasons that will reveal themselves.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Opening scene is totally not a rip off from LOTR:TT opening. Nope, not at all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cimber posted:

Opening scene is totally not a rip off from LOTR:TT opening. Nope, not at all.

Pretty sure it was an homage and I liked it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JBP posted:

Using R1 to dodge is going to take some getting used to, but I always use the recommended config because I believe that devs do this for a reason and I have faith in Suzuki having configured the game's controls for reasons that will reveal themselves.

You can do all kinds of stuff mixing melee and magic way easier if you don’t have both on face buttons.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

JBP posted:

I did set B for the story demo then when I got to the Eikonic challenge demo realized holding down R and pressing triangle or square to do an Eikon move was way easier than holding square and pressing a trigger.

O being the dash/shield button feels right.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Is it me or is there a bit of motion blur when you rotate the camera? I'm seeing frame jitters when walking and moving, so i had to set my display settings to frame rate. I'm sure future patches will optimize.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The guy who voice acts Cid is the same as Lorath in D4. Gettin some work done this past year.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Two obvious things that I completely missed while playing the demo:

You can weave magic bursts in between every hit of a combo and not just the last;

And there is a lock on button lol

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Welp I had about an hour in me before I got tired - and just spent it replaying the demo too since I wanted to play it fresh, so no progress tonight lol.

Whoever suggested switching to control scheme C was onto something

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

The charge sword attack is nice but you really want to upgrade it because it massively reduces the hold down time needed making it way more usable

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Mainwaring posted:

The charge sword attack is nice but you really want to upgrade it because it massively reduces the hold down time needed making it way more usable

Yeah, that definitely feels like a priority upgrade since it makes it really easy to launch enemies with the jumping uppercut.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

blight rhino posted:

Not completely psyched about it turning into an ARPG (especially with quick time events, bleh)

It doesn't really have quick time events. I mean technically yes, but the timing windows for those are so generous you could probably pick up a controller you'd put down and still have time to push the button. And the buttons are very logical, you either do a cinematic dodge by pressing the dodge button, or a cinematic attack, by pressing the attack button. And there aren't that many of them.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The dodging is going to take some getting used to. I'm used to having iframes right at the start then nothing, but it feels like they start slow so instead of just tapping it when the hit would connect I have to try to dodge early and through the attack. Once I got that down combat got a lot more fun. Can't wait to get more attacks to weave in because the combos are a little anemic and I want to style on staggered enemies.

The whole cutscene->corridor->arena->repeat schtick is still something I'm unsure of. Like I know I'm supposed to hate that they tore out the exploration, but for some reason I don't. That potion on the ground being just off the path, instead of in a treasure chest across a massive field of random battles, is something I know is objectively good but just registers weird in my brain.

Can't wait to finish work and pick it up again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think this might be the rare game where I actually end up switching to the English voices. I'm not a big fan of the Japanese Clive. He actually does very well during the more intense scenes (his version of the big prologue scene is at least as good as the English one IMO), but he's very...subdued during all other content.

Also, I hope the motion blur toggle comes sooner rather than later. The longer I play the more my eyes start to hurt (not as a euphemism for "it looks bad," but literally - I'm actually at the computer typing this specifically because my eyes/head were aching after playing for a couple hours - it's very unpleasant in any situation where I need to rotate the camera).

Messing around with the goblin enemy in the Arete stone also gave me an opportunity to practice parries for a while. The timing is absurdly tight, at least with that specific enemy. It seems like there's literally like a 0.05s window or something for getting a parry in that situation, but that it might vary depending on the specific attack. It seems like parries might be more viable for specific types of attacks that are slower and/or more telegraphed (the dragoon in the prologue had this charge attack that seemed good for it, for example). The specific trigger seems to be that you want to be in the middle of your animation while the enemy is also in the middle of theirs.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It doesn't really have quick time events. I mean technically yes, but the timing windows for those are so generous you could probably pick up a controller you'd put down and still have time to push the button. And the buttons are very logical, you either do a cinematic dodge by pressing the dodge button, or a cinematic attack, by pressing the attack button. And there aren't that many of them.

I've never really understood the gripes about quicktime events, unless the quicktime events in question are actually difficult/tedious. Like, yeah, they're unnecessary, but do they really detract from the experience?

Deified Data posted:

Welp I had about an hour in me before I got tired - and just spent it replaying the demo too since I wanted to play it fresh, so no progress tonight lol.

Whoever suggested switching to control scheme C was onto something

It makes magic bursts about 10x easier. I probably won't even need to upgrade the timing on them, since they're easy right "out of the box" with control scheme C.

The only thing that is a bit unintuitive in scheme C is the Eikon toggle being Triangle, but that's not too bad to get used to.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game is extremely good.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Ytlaya posted:

I think this might be the rare game where I actually end up switching to the English voices. I'm not a big fan of the Japanese Clive. He actually does very well during the more intense scenes (his version of the big prologue scene is at least as good as the English one IMO), but he's very...subdued during all other content.

I also switched to English but mostly because the lip movement not matching was more jarring than I expected and it also seems the game was made for the English VA.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Ytlaya posted:

I've never really understood the gripes about quicktime events, unless the quicktime events in question are actually difficult/tedious. Like, yeah, they're unnecessary, but do they really detract from the experience?

They're a personal bugbear of mine, so yeah. The ones here are barely QTEs and happen in situations where you're already holding the controller so it barely registers. The big offenders are either at an inopportune time (you've set the controller down because it's a ten-minute narrative scene) or extremely difficult with dire consequences. It also doesn't help that the three consoles all have completely different buttons and "press X" is a death sentence unless you play on a singular platform.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

This might be the fruitiest Cid in a FF game?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mainwaring posted:

This might be the fruitiest Cid in a FF game?

I was not expecting Cid to exude bi disaster energy but I am here for it.

What I am not here for is that despite avoiding the trap of "dark fantasy = grim angry no fun allowed", it fell straight into the trap of "dark fantasy = a whole lotta or implied rape in backstories for female characters". I don't know what the policy is for tagged spoilers here is, so I won't go into details but while I am really enjoying the game and it's story, that aspect is... unpleasant.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I have no idea whether or not that spoiler is safe for me to click compared to where I am in the game so I can't really put an opinion on it, turns out.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I have no idea whether or not that spoiler is safe for me to click compared to where I am in the game so I can't really put an opinion on it, turns out.

Not a story spoiler but a theme spoiler but probably best to get through the game before reading it and giving an opinion.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As much as this is playable on PS5, I do look forward to playing this on PC in the future with actual good framerate and resolution.

It's the sort of thing that is tolerable, but is always just kind of niggling at me during any of the exploration parts. Removing the motion blur will help some - it's making exploring this forest area I'm currently in pretty unpleasant, just because it's hard to scan the environment while moving the camera without getting a headache (or in this case making my already-existing headache worse).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ibblebibble posted:

Post first enemy eikon and meeting the second major party member.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

3 1/2 hours tonight, plus the demo stuff before that. Game is extremely good, and any concerns I had about the story can safely be dismissed. The story is going in the direction I was hoping for and is extremely loving good. This is game of the year easily.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

naked clive is the best clive

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

I said come in! posted:

too bad even gay cid isn't attracted to him

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm just post the second big Eikon battle.

Those 3 random bandits had loving moves, it's weird to see soldiers in the scrum cheering on these massive Kaiju fights that never seem to care much about collateral damage and finally this game is stylish as gently caress

I said come in! posted:

Why was he naked though

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ntan1 posted:

too bad even gay cid isn't attracted to him

excuse me, he is bi cid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1