Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

no go on Quiznos posted:

What's the point in buying physical if I have to download 90% of the game anyways?

Pretty much the only reason for physical is the ability to resell it or for physical collectors purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Physical stores even sell cards with download codes for certain games. I'm not sure what they're for; the incredibly niche situation of wanting to gift a game in-person but specifically the digital version?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much the only reason for physical is the ability to resell it or for physical collectors purposes.

I offer my physical games to my friends so they can try before they buy.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I see people freak out at all the farm games, but I'm wanting them. A good one that is. I played Stardew Valley on PC and loved. it. Then played it through again on the Switch. I've looked and looked but there nothing out there that is as good as Stardew. They are all outdated or bad or look like Fae Farm and I don't want any of that. Stardew is a paradise island in an ocean of poo poo and it sucks.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Graveyard keeper is my "I want Stardew but I'm not in the mood for Stardew"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mycot posted:

Physical stores even sell cards with download codes for certain games. I'm not sure what they're for; the incredibly niche situation of wanting to gift a game in-person but specifically the digital version?

Putting one of these for Stardew Valley in a card was legitimately one of the best gifts I've ever bought my other half. I spent $15 and she got a couple hundred hours out of it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man Dragon Warrior Monsters. I spent days playing that as a kid to get the hardest monster in the game, which was just a color swapped sprite they already used lol.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Len posted:

Putting one of these for Stardew Valley in a card was legitimately one of the best gifts I've ever bought my other half. I spent $15 and she got a couple hundred hours out of it

Way to spend $15 on owning yourself by forever appearing inadequate next to the dashingly handsome Elliott

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Team mint chocolate chip represent
:black101:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Way to spend $15 on owning yourself by forever appearing inadequate next to the dashingly handsome Elliott

I had to ask her who she ended up marrying because I honestly wasn't sure. Once she got done laughing at this :iceburn: she informed me it was Abigail and Sebastian and that Elliot is really whiny

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/Kekeflipnote/status/1671542346888933378

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

How are the controls on Pikmin 1+2?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
https://twitter.com/WalmartCAGaming/status/1671325839890186240

Prescient.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hrist posted:

I think Mario RPG also had a level cap of like, 30 max. Which no one on earth should ever hit, because level 16 or so is already way more than enough. There's never ever a reason to grind. It is literally the Mario of RPGs.

There's maybe two boss fights in the second half of the game where you might wish you were leveled higher but there are items that can make them a lot easier too. When I was a kid I didn't know that and got to grinding! Which somehow was instinctual despite never playing an RPG.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh yeah when I was a kid I never used items in RPGs because I might need them later

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Oh yeah when I was a kid I never used items in RPGs because I might need them later

Yeah me too

When I was a kid

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Flubby posted:

I see people freak out at all the farm games, but I'm wanting them. A good one that is. I played Stardew Valley on PC and loved. it. Then played it through again on the Switch. I've looked and looked but there nothing out there that is as good as Stardew. They are all outdated or bad or look like Fae Farm and I don't want any of that. Stardew is a paradise island in an ocean of poo poo and it sucks.

Stardew Valley made the smart choice of sticking to 2d. Everyone else attempts a full 3d world and ends up looking cheap and having iffy performance

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
The items in SMRPG you need to beat Culex aren’t consumables

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Stardew Valley made the smart choice of sticking to 2d. Everyone else attempts a full 3d world and ends up looking cheap and having iffy performance

It had its issues mechanics-wise, but I think Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (the Gamecube original, haven't checked out the remake yet) is the nicest a farming game has ever looked. :kiddo:

The screenshots I'm finding all have this weird dark tint to them, though! I don't remember that, although there could be a nostalgia sheen on my memories of it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
You might need to be higher level for the optional boss? It's probably easier than I remember, but I recall it being kinda spicy?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRafTer posted:

Which somehow was instinctual despite never playing an RPG.

I never played an rpg before at the time either. Which meant I played the whole game without a healer in the party, because her damage seemed bad. But Mario's canonical best friends Geno and Bowser got it done. Eventually.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

How are the controls on Pikmin 1+2?

Only played Pikmin so far and the biggest adjustment has been having to hold down L in order to move your swarm of Pikmin around. Also I'd forgotten much more vicious everything in the world is when you can't drop a bunch of purples on their head.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Gotcha. I'll keep that all in mind!

FYI there is a single missable chest in this game, and it's very annoying because it's at almost the very start, before (I think) you even know about the existence of invisible blocks. When you get to the Princess' castle for the first time and Toad leads you in, while you're in the foyer and Toad is walking down the hall, you have to jump on his head, and use that as a platform to jump above the doorway that he's about to walk through. Then jump straight up for the hidden block.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Hrist posted:

I never played an rpg before at the time either. Which meant I played the whole game without a healer in the party, because her damage seemed bad. But Mario's canonical best friends Geno and Bowser got it done. Eventually.

Mario RPG was my RPG gateway drug and I also made this mistake

also did not find out about the Geno Whirl trick until I was an adult, so in general I had myself a time

edit: I also sucked raw rear end at all of Bowser's "rotate the pad" type specials, but his normal hits were so beefy I didn't care

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 22, 2023

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

smrpg is a trivially easy rpg. give peach the lazy shell: boom you're invincible. enjoy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hindsight + 30 years + the creation of the internet to look up game guides = easy games. enjoy.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Super Mario RPG is one of the very few games I managed to beat as a kid at all, because I was bad at games, so I will vouch for it being easier than a lot of other games

for further analysis: I also beat Mario World but not any of the NES ones

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah yeah SMRPG remake is nice, but more importantly, when does the new OST come out.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Super Mario RPG is one of the very few games I managed to beat as a kid at all, because I was bad at games, so I will vouch for it being easier than a lot of other games

for further analysis: I also beat Mario World but not any of the NES ones

I didn’t beat Mario 1 until like 2020. I’m 43. I went through Mario world, Mario 3, but Mario 1 had eluded me. I think after came out 1 seemed bizarrely overly simplistic despite having a decent challenge to it.
Some day I’ll finish Zelda 2. Not likely anytime soon.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You don't play SMRPG because it's difficult. You play it because it's fun and has a charming story.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Yeah even without looking up the OP equipment online, one of Peach's starting moves heals like 90% of the party's HP while removing status effects for less MP than Mario's basic Fire Ball skill. I'm interested to see how they change up the combat. Hopefully they beefed it up a little or added some more challenging content to compensate for this super meter and extra buffs they seem to have added.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I still wonder how Minecraft Dungeons performance is so bad on the Switch.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Slime Rancher is 3D and pulls it off with charm and aplomb but tbh it's pretty bare in terms of farm-ish mechanics it's just so chill you're happy to sit there chewing on a piece of hay watching your slimes bounce.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
I will say I didn't beat Culex as a kid, I had to come back to that one as an adult

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You all convinced me. I finally found Highland Stable in TotK (interestingly that area to immediate south of Great Plateau and east of the Desert was also the last area for me to thoroughly explore in BotW) and there's a bunch of poo poo to do there. It's good place to stop. I'm going to bum-rush SMRPG starting today thru to Monday if I can help it.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I hope that the secret bonus fight in SMRPG that is to say, Culex, represents modern Final Fantasy the same way the OG was a high quality 2D sprite representing FF as it is now. Meaning, a giant multi-stage action rpg kaiju boss fight that uses curse words. Also Cloud is there

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Did they ever release an HD render of the secret?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I hope that the secret bonus fight in SMRPG that is to say, Culex, represents modern Final Fantasy the same way the OG was a high quality 2D sprite representing FF as it is now. Meaning, a giant multi-stage action rpg kaiju boss fight that uses curse words. Also Cloud is there

and then he fucks around with the canon storyline

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Hindsight + 30 years + the creation of the internet to look up game guides = easy games. enjoy.

???? i did this in 1996. it's just not a super hard game. i loving love it and it's one of my all time favorites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

What's the Samus cameo model gonna look like :allears: