Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
did they ever get anything nearby enough to actually go poking around the titanic itself to see if the thing got stuck on a chandelier, or has it all been surface-searching and sonaring the bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Earwicker posted:

ah fair enough.

still, an airliner hitting the surface of the ocean and scattering into thousands of pieces is a very different thing than a tin can sitting on the ocean floor. crashed airplanes leave an oil slick and floating debris, and even if not found immediately some parts eventually wash up on distant islands. whereas the sub is just one little tube, with about eleven thousand feet of ocean on top of it.

No biggie.
Yeah I think it just really depends where they ended up when failure happened. If they're on the surface, they'll be found eventually. If they made it near the titanic before failure, what's left will be found eventually. If the failure was somewhere during the descent then it's pretty slim they'll find anything. Currents would scatter it to the watery winds.

E: I'd like to add they have made it to the titanic before that's why I think it's quite possible they were at their destination before something went wrong.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 22, 2023

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
has anyone said that a cthulhu ate it yet

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Gasmask posted:

The guy doing morse code earlier was talking about cthulu.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Next week's Well There's Your Problem podcast will be a doozy.

I can't believe their Titanic episode is getting a part 3

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Gasmask posted:

Cthulhu lives at Point Nemo. :colbert:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Axel Serenity posted:

our store wasted no time today

I've said it before on SA but Shadow Divers is real loving good. When they switch from being drunk from nitrogen narcosis at depth to experimenting with "new" weird gas blends the change in tone of the text is very noticeable. I ended up with two copies because I read it and loved it, then a technical diver in my eve corp recommended it so I bought a second copy before realizing I already owned it.

Maybe it's not "pay full price for" good though. It's worth grabbing from a thrift store or get off your rear end and get a library card, goon.

Hammu-rob-i posted:

I'm so basic I have Nick Cutter's The Deep in my shopping cart since yesterday

get off your rear end and get a library card, goon
let your taxes fund your book reading

FlapYoJacks posted:

The idiots fired and sued the safety engineer that refused to certify the groversub because they didn't want to fork over money to x-ray the hull after testing at pressure.

and, as mentioned earlier, they had a 6x5ft section delaminate
The person reporting that delamination quit when they wouldn't do that sort of non-destructive "x-ray" testing to see if the patch was properly bonded.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Kunabomber posted:

For some reason, I was reminded of JFK Jr crashing his plane because he decided to fly in conditions that he wasn't properly trained for (flight instructors noted that he needed visible horizon to fly safely, and didn't clear him for instrument-only flight without a flight instructor present). He also had an ankle injury and a flight instructor noted that it hampered with his ability to properly control the rudders for landing and taxiing, etc.

Rich people and their hubris

I fell down a rabbit hole of private pilot accident case studies and it’s insane how common it is for dudes to just buy a plane, never learn how to work the instruments, not bother checking the weather or even file flight plans and then pile their family into the plane and find themselves in a situation where they don’t know how to land the plane and then refuse to admit it to ATC right until they’re actively crashing to their deaths.

Dude doesn’t know how to fly his plane but accepts IFR clearance anyway
https://youtu.be/ROCUheRin9U
Dude runs out of fuel because he won’t admit he’s running out of fuel
https://youtu.be/fLlWf-Fk_YM
Dude throws huge tantrum when multiple people beg him not to take off in unsafe conditions, immediately crashes
https://youtu.be/o29C5QGp3LQ

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

I've said it before on SA but Shadow Divers is real loving good. When they switch from being drunk from nitrogen narcosis at depth to experimenting with "new" weird gas blends the change in tone of the text is very noticeable. I ended up with two copies because I read it and loved it, then a technical diver in my eve corp recommended it so I bought a second copy before realizing I already owned it.

Maybe it's not "pay full price for" good though. It's worth grabbing from a thrift store or get off your rear end and get a library card, goon.

get off your rear end and get a library card, goon
let your taxes fund your book reading

and, as mentioned earlier, they had a 6x5ft section delaminate
The person reporting that delamination quit when they wouldn't do that sort of non-destructive "x-ray" testing to see if the patch was properly bonded.

The CEO had a suicide fetish.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

FlapYoJacks posted:

The CEO had a suicide fetish.

"The odds of making more trips like this are slim to none"
moans Uhngfh tell me more~

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tW4zfTeJqM
there is 2 scenarios the sub is durable and it just fills up with water instantly compressing everyone inside.
or its not and it just gets flattened instantly but due to it being carbon fiber it shatters as well.

Dark Off posted:

so that active hull alarm thingy only alarmed milliseconds before the collapse.
just search for the oceangate v david lochridge for source.

Dark Off posted:

certifying or rebuilding the front window was too expensive :allears:

also reminder that the lawsuit document is out there. Which revealed how dumb this event was.
and how avoidable it would have been with proper attention.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 22, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

did they ever get anything nearby enough to actually go poking around the titanic itself to see if the thing got stuck on a chandelier, or has it all been surface-searching and sonaring the bottom

No one knows. Lost contact an hour forty five after decent and after that it's all just guess work.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

dr_rat posted:

No one knows. Lost contact an hour forty five after decent and after that it's all just guess work.

Even funnier after learning that losing contact during dives is completely regular for this thing too.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Bad Purchase posted:

we will know more about the engineering and safety systems even if nothing is recovered, there will be investigations and lawsuits, possibly employees speaking out too, especially since the company will likely not survive this

Yeah they will have a hard time staying afloat after this

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Chewbecca posted:

Yeah they will have a hard time staying afloat after this

They're designed to not stay afloat

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Grey Cat posted:

Even funnier after learning that losing contact during dives is completely regular for this thing too.

If we're not back by supper time, alert James Cameron.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Celexi posted:

Its sink or swim in this industry

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
How in the hell did they ever find the wreck of the Titanic in the first place?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Filox posted:

If we're not back by supper time, alert James Cameron.

If he was able to go 3 times deeper than these fools he's probably the right man for the job.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Pretty sure they were doing oceanography in the 80s, essentially doing camera maps by dragging a long line I think unrelated trying to find nuclear subs? Happenstance that they found the right spot.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ghouldaddy07 posted:

A lot of time and effort by people who knew what they were doing?

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/wreck-of-the-titanic-found

quote:

In 1985, along with French oceanographer Jean-Louis Michel, Ballard again set out to locate the wreck, this time with an experimental, unmanned submersible called the Argo, developed by the U.S. Navy. The Argo traveled just above the ocean floor, sending photographs up to the research vessel Knorr. In the early morning of September 1, Argo was investigating debris on the ocean floor when it suddenly passed over one of the Titanic‘s massive boilers, lying at a depth of about 13,000 feet.

The next day, the body of the ship was discovered nearby. It had split in two, but many of its features and interiors were remarkably well-preserved. Hundreds of thousands of bits of debris were scattered in a 2-square-mile radius around the ship.

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022

Celexi posted:

https://i.imgur.com/jyInX66.mp4

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
And ever since it's been taken apart by scrappers and once a submergible that landed in the deck destroyed part of it

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

dr_rat posted:

also adding, the first pictures are available to sift through here.
https://time.com/4008791/titanic-wreck-photos/

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

dr_rat posted:

Very cool

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Submersing across the ocean floor
On the deathtrap Titan under captain Rush
Submersing across the ocean floor
making GBS threads in a zip lock bag, waiting to get crushed

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Lampsacus posted:

They will never find it. It will become a conspiracy/ mystery for the podcast equivalents of the 2040s.

Fake news libtard agenda anti-CEO wokerati sub

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Grey Cat posted:

If he was able to go 3 times deeper than these fools he's probably the right man for the job.

But does he have the crab repellant and tweezers he'll need for this recovery mission?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Filox posted:

But does he have the crab repellant and tweezers he'll need for this recovery mission?

was thinking it was more of a jar and spoon operation.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

dr_rat posted:

Whats crazy is they missed the wreck on one of their first passes by a few hundred yards or so, and didnt end up finding it until near the end of the expedition.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

They invert a plastic baggie over a claw on another submersible like picking up dog poop

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
As the oxygen timer ticks down, it gets closer to the Extreme Hubris For Billionaires option where they get found in time but can't get brought up to the surface fast enough. Some guy was on the news earlier saying that if they are found then depending how deep they are, it may take hours to bring them back up. All the money in the world won't make an RV bring you back to the surface faster.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I dunno what it would look like if it got crunched, because the carbon fibre hull would not crinkle so much as just, like, explode into pieces. The internals would get cooked by the sudden change in pressure, so I doubt we'd get anything as cool as a phone or speaker making it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

There aren't many vehicles or drones that can go down that deep, and none of them happened to be in the neighbourhood this week.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

How much Oxygen would the CEO have if he shot everyone else on the 1st day? These are the real questions.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Grey Cat posted:

But when the world needed him most, The Avatar James Cameron vanished... to work on Avatar.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Eugh, I need sleep, someone tell me the coastguard verdict when 7:08am est oxygen deadline hits.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Grey Cat posted:

Honestly it's all on them for skimping on the standard emergency equipment (oh texting will be enough) WTF??? Getting stuck is obviously always the risk even in a proper submersible, anything can go wrong. That's why they're usually remote these days.

I forget which crew does it but they do livestreams of deep submersible stuff, absolutely fun to watch as they poke around at fish in the deep.

You're talking about EV/Nautilus, and most of us have probably seen this clip featuring the majestic Googly-eyed Stubby Squid.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

That's the one! And one of my favorite clips thanks a ton!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I'm beginning to suffer the effects of groversub deprivation