Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I just noticed earlier that the Geneva airport is *right* up against the border with France.

It was a feature at one point before Switzerland joined the Schengen area. There was a French section of the airport that allowed French people to fly domestically within France without going through Swiss border controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It was a feature at one point before Switzerland joined the Schengen area. There was a French section of the airport that allowed French people to fly domestically within France without going through Swiss border controls.

Like Tijuana’s US terminal?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

how can it be?? 10 minutes is not an even factor of tenths of an hour!

When I got my Fixed Wing PPL in the UK, we calculated time in 5 minutes intervals and not the decimal system used in NA.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's still a feature but it matters less these days. There are, however, still two different rental car sectors, one with French-regged cars and the other with Swiss, and yes, the massive price differences to match. Pity the tourists just flying in to ski at Chamonix who pick the wrong one.

But, I mean, it's Geneva. There are urban trams that run across the border, much less an international airport.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

When I got my Fixed Wing PPL in the UK, we calculated time in 5 minutes intervals and not the decimal system used in NA.

Does your hour meter count in twelfths? :confused: Or did you just use a stopwatch and keep careful notes?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

Does your hour meter count in twelfths? :confused: Or did you just use a stopwatch and keep careful notes?

Not UK, but we have a "Check time" checklist item after starting and stopping the engine. You write down the actual time, not what the counter on the dash says. When doing the admin later, you round to the nearest 5 minute increment.

It makes it relatively easy because all the different times we track are in HH:mm Format, not h.m Format.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Maksimus54 posted:

We don't have to do it but there are tons of airports on the US/Canada border. I know a couple patterns out here that will put you within a mile of the border. It's not a big deal. Don't land there and they don't tend to care as long as you don't violate the Bravo

Yeah, one of the departures at the airport where my school is takes you across the CAN/US border for a brief period of time!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I soloed at KDET. A little extended downwind could have put me in Canada.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

you called it, was a dentist. unfortunately he also had his 8 y/o grandson with him, both died.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Zero One posted:

I soloed at KDET. A little extended downwind could have put me in Canada.

I flew into Detroit City once. once

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

https://silodrome.com/messerschmitt-bf-109-for-sale/

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

6 mil is a pretty good price for a flying museum piece like that. Wonder what spares costs are like.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Arson Daily posted:

6 mil is a pretty good price for a flying museum piece like that. Wonder what spares costs are like.

Depends on how close you live to unplowed fields in Normandy.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Go for it as long as it is not that cursed BF109 Red 7 or whatever it is called, because that one crashes basically any time it takes off

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Arson Daily posted:

You got a machine shop that can custom-fabricate anything your heart desires? Costs that much.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I figured. Def out of my price range but I'm sure someone out there has enough scratch to daily it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

I figured. Def out of my price range but I'm sure someone out there has enough scratch to daily it.

For $5mil, you could daily this big bitch.

Why buy a motorcycle when you could have a bus? More room, more friends. Be the envy of lakes Como and Constance.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

madeintaipei posted:

Why buy a motorcycle when you could have a bus? More room, more friends. Be the envy of lakes Como and Constance.

This is legit my dream. just fly this fat lady around giving free rides. it would almost certainly end up being my tomb but it'd be worth it imo

e: holy poo poo 800 gallons an hour. you'd be singlehandedly causing developmental disabilities anywhere you flew, just dusting the landscape with tetraethyl lead. while i'm dreaming i'd definitely be converting her to turbine

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 23, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

madeintaipei posted:

You mentioned the daily running cost, but what's the sale price?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

twenty five thousand dollars, give or take, to gas that thing up. mother of god

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

OMGVBFLOL posted:

twenty five thousand dollars, give or take, to gas that thing up. mother of god

yeah, when people lament that old surplus WWII planes, boats and equipment was just trashed outright rather than finding a second use, a lot of it is through ignorance of just what a difference a military opex budget (especially wartime) looks like compared to nearly any other endeavour.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Electric Wrigglies posted:

yeah, when people lament that old surplus WWII planes, boats and equipment was just trashed outright rather than finding a second use, a lot of it is through ignorance of just what a difference a military opex budget (especially wartime) looks like compared to nearly any other endeavour.
Worked in an auto/aviation museum for a while and we had two WWII warbirds that had been bought surplus after the war, pretty much entirely gutted of anything military down to the avionics and the fuel tanks and rebuilt as racers. Even in 1948 their pilots were only interested in the airframe and the engine.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

stealie72 posted:

Worked in an auto/aviation museum for a while and we had two WWII warbirds that had been bought surplus after the war, pretty much entirely gutted of anything military down to the avionics and the fuel tanks and rebuilt as racers. Even in 1948 their pilots were only interested in the airframe and the engine.

Besides the avionics & fuel tanks, what else was there? I can’t imagine the guns are still on it when they sell it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

david_a posted:

Besides the avionics & fuel tanks, what else was there? I can’t imagine the guns are still on it when they sell it.
Don't quote me, but I think they both had replacement props and updated landing gear as well. Possibly different hydraulic systems?

That may just have been lighter equals faster and not "I don't have 10 enlisted guys to do 10 hours of maintenance for every hour I fly" too.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So just some quick update from my part. I should have had my international flight a couple of days ago, but it fell through due to weather. Instead, we just briefed the flight as well as the upcoming checkride (preparation).

One interesting tidbit that I didn't notice initially is that the destination is so close to the border, that the circuit actually goes across it. For the same reason - it being more or less directly on the border - I am informed that the destination flight information service doesn't want to hear us calling up on the radio when we cross the border. I mean practically speaking it makes sense -- you'd log off from their frequency immediately after making two way contact, so it's basically just noise for them. But them not wanting you to contact them is not written down in any part of the AIP as far as I can find, so I hope there won't be any angry letters after having a little border raid.

We also went over what the most likely program will be for the checkride. My FI reckons that we can schedule it in a couple of weeks. There'll be a threotical part about flight planning and preparation, aircraft systems and so on, which should* be okay.

Then we'll probably fill in a mock flight plan for an international route. International because it's just a reality of flying in the middle of Europe but also to give the flight a bit more room than just flying in a circle around the towns in the area. It's a mock flight plan, because once we're in the air and navigating to our destination, the examiner will inform me that our destination is unavailable and I'll have to plan the diversion en route. So there'll be a bit of in-flight E6b, navlog filling, and discussing charts, before changing course. Once the examiner is satisfied that I can succesfully and safely bring the plane there, the navigation part of the exam is concluded.

The next section would be airwork. I'm told to prepare for steep turns, slow flying, IMC escape maneuver, and if we are in a plane that has a VOR receiver, dialing in and finding a station. Then there'll be approaches to and full stalls in various configurations and flight phases. Then emergency and cautionary landings, and finally a couple of touch and goes in different configurations. On of the emergency exercises or touch and goes will feature a simulated engine failure.

She informed me that the upcoming lessons will be a fair bit longer and more intense than usual, and she'll be extra careful that I will perform the exercises not just safely, but also in good accordance to the SOPs. She is very good with sticking to the exact procedures mentioned in the SOP; other FIs tend to use a little bit more discretion in, for instance, the order in which certain things are done. So I've got the best FI for that.

I've made myself a little training document containing all the SOPs for what's outlined above, with the relevant reference data from the manual. I guess I'll spend a lot of time just rote-memorizing procedures with that guide in MSFS, to make sure they really stick.

* There is one minor complication: the plane I'm supposed to train on has been in the shop for months now and should be back any moment. In the meantime, I've been training on a different variant of the same plane with just slightly different ref speeds, procedures, and systems. I would actually prefer to continue on the current plane since its manual is like 1/4 of the original plane; I just hope I don't this doesn't trip me up too much.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Saw a plane earlier. It was rad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
A first for me: go-around due to a boat in the way.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Speaking of seaplanes, I saw the Sikorsky VS-44 at the New England Air Museum today.

And the nearly-restored Burnelli CBY-3, which is not a seaplane but looks like it was stolen directly from Tailspin or Crimson Skies.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 24, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

l

One interesting tidbit that I didn't notice initially is that the destination is so close to the border, that the circuit actually goes across it. For the same reason - it being more or less directly on the border - I am informed that the destination flight information service doesn't want to hear us calling up on the radio when we cross the border. I mean practically speaking it makes sense -- you'd log off from their frequency immediately after making two way contact, so it's basically just noise for them. But them not wanting you to contact them is not written down in any part of the AIP as far as I can find, so I hope there won't be any angry letters after having a little border raid.

This situation where your pattern (circuit) can get extended into adjacent airspace isn't too uncommon. We have one here in San Francisco; the Palo Alto airport is tiny but very busy, and when all of the Google executives are out in their Cirruses on the weekends, the pattern downwind can get extended all the way into Moffett Field (NASA) airspace to the south. The Palo Alto and Moffett towers have some sort of agreement about this so you just stay on the Palo Alto frequency, and as long as you make your base turn instantly when they tell you, nobody gets a phone number to call.

It's a little more weird to me that it goes over an international border, but I guess that's Europe for you.

Also FYI we have a pilot-specific thread (this one is more airplane-specific) in A/T. There's some overlap of course, but that thread is more focused on the activity of flying than on the hardware, if you want to talk about these sorts of things with a bunch of professional/amateur pilots and flight instructors.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1672555920767741956

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

This situation where your pattern (circuit) can get extended into adjacent airspace isn't too uncommon. We have one here in San Francisco; the Palo Alto airport is tiny but very busy, and when all of the Google executives are out in their Cirruses on the weekends, the pattern downwind can get extended all the way into Moffett Field (NASA) airspace to the south. The Palo Alto and Moffett towers have some sort of agreement about this so you just stay on the Palo Alto frequency, and as long as you make your base turn instantly when they tell you, nobody gets a phone number to call.

It's a little more weird to me that it goes over an international border, but I guess that's Europe for you.

Also FYI we have a pilot-specific thread (this one is more airplane-specific) in A/T. There's some overlap of course, but that thread is more focused on the activity of flying than on the hardware, if you want to talk about these sorts of things with a bunch of professional/amateur pilots and flight instructors.

Thanks; I'll take a look in that thread. Last time I peeked in there was years ago and I was a little intimidated by all the pros in there.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Some DCS poo poo right there

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

was that the missile's sonic boom or did it detonate

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes it detonated just out of frame, this is the result

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I posted this in the milhist thread, and I'm posting it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo4am5c8hUE

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

Thanks; I'll take a look in that thread. Last time I peeked in there was years ago and I was a little intimidated by all the pros in there.

Come on by! We're mostly all pilots in there and all pilots are terrible so you'll fit right in! Maybe you'll even find some non terrible advice in there

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lord Stimperor posted:

Imagine them all in their underpants.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Imagine them all in their underpants.

Not all of us are cargo pilots.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Here's some fun propagandistic pictures from a time gone by. Sadly no subtitles, but the 1950s of it all, gosh. And about the Lance, gosh again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuGX_u9nWuY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Minor whoopsiedoodle over at CLT this morning, no one hurt though. Turns out you don’t need your nose gear to land so I fully expect airlines to remove them for cost savings and add a skid instead.