Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Just gotta keep fartin'! Cycle the air!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I'm back in forth in my mind if it would be more horrifying to suffocate in this thing at the bottom of an abyssal trench or floating on the surface.

Down in the trench, you know it's all over. Maybe it's better to have time to come to peace with the idea.

Up on the surface, until the very end, you can still delude yourself into thinking a helicopter will find you and someone will save you, while fully understanding that only the construction of the hatch prevents you from saving yourself. Just drags it out. I feel like that would be much worse.

e;fb by others

mobby_6kl posted:

You try to push open the hatch, but it's bolted down on the outside
>
On the surface, passing out from CO2 and this is the last thing you see

Edit: So, when the rich people inevitably started killing each other off to conserve oxygen, how much extra time does that buy for the last survivor?

I mean, the real answer is they imploded, but as a thought exercise

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Lusty Grundles posted:

I feel like I'm supposed to be sad about this. Alas, I'm not. Not even remotely.

Neither is the rich failure step-son, so no need to worry!

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

funeral home DJ posted:

Neither is the rich failure step-son, so no need to worry!
I wish I was a rich failure step-son.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Which button on the Logitech controller would be the equivalent of F

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Arc Light posted:

Edit: So, when the rich people inevitably started killing each other off to conserve oxygen, how much extra time does that buy for the last survivor?

I mean, the real answer is they imploded, but as a thought exercise

Less time, decomposition depletes the oxygen faster

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

lol

RIP :grovertoot: sub

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Apparently when the CEO bragged about breaking the rules like not mixing carbon fiber and metal…

https://www.corrosionpedia.com/galvanic-corrosion-of-metals-connected-to-carbon-fiber-reinforced-polymers/2/1556

… carbon fiber is conductive and acts as an anode, corroding metals it’s in contact with faster

quote:

The galvanic coupling of metals to carbon composites will not only cause problems for the metal, but also for the composite itself. Due to the hydrogen gas evolution in defect sites of the composite (such as voids and cracks), hydrogen-filled blisters can form on the composite surface. (Discover more in The Corrosion of Polymeric Materials.)

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Which button on the Logitech controller would be the equivalent of F

MODE

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's not often you have the sympathetic thought of, "I hope they all imploded and have been dead this whole time," but there it is.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

At my job we specialize in life support systems

I sense a marketing email blast!

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Sucks for those people. Would have loved to have seen the court case once they dragged the CEO out of the drink.

Do you reckon they got to see the Titanic at least?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Beartaco posted:

Sucks for those people. Would have loved to have seen the court case once they dragged the CEO out of the drink.

Nah. It probably imploded the instant they lost contact.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Beartaco posted:

Better than that. They’re now PART of The Titanic, for future billionaire idiots to gawp at

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
It's kind of surprising just how quiet the search and rescue operations have been. Was there any news after yesterday morning's press release about hearing tapping?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akEXWdOBDHE

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

Zesty posted:

Nah. It probably imploded the instant they lost contact.

We can take warm comfort in the fact they spent their last moments being tortured with the Titanic soundtrack looping on repeat, because something bugged out and they couldn't stop it playing.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I was a little, until it rapidly became clear just how many huge red flags you'd have to wilfully ignore and still step in to the blatant deathtrap.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Beartaco posted:

I’ll never get it. These Explorer’s Club folks, I can understand having to somehow spend too much money and doing it by going to space (pretty safe when you get there), up Mount Everest (to die and become a permanent waypoint), whatever other poo poo you need to do when you have more money than you know what to do with.

Who the gently caress cares about the Titanic? I mean really, they made the movie and we’re all on the same page about it. There are full photogrammetric scans of it. Who. loving. Cares.

Stupid-rear end Titanic stupid rear end CEO guy.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
A french robot called Victor 6000. :3:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsTech/status/1671829049285435393

Less Is Definitely
Jan 10, 2012

"Wikipedia posted:

In a 2022 dive to the Titanic, one of the thrusters on the Titan was accidentally installed backwards and the submersible started spinning in circles when trying to move forward near the sea floor.

Might have come up in the thread before but :psyduck:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

hellotoothpaste posted:

I’ll never get it. These Explorer’s Club folks, I can understand having to somehow spend too much money and doing it by going to space (pretty safe when you get there), up Mount Everest (to die and become a permanent waypoint), whatever other poo poo you need to do when you have more money than you know what to do with.

Who the gently caress cares about the Titanic? I mean really, they made the movie and we’re all on the same page about it. There are full photogrammetric scans of it. Who. loving. Cares.

I envy your life that you haven't met at least one person who's really fuckin' into the Titanic.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

love how the billionaires are dead but new search bots keep getting announced WWE style

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
guys we need thoughts and prayers
BRING BACK OUR HEROIC EXPLORERS

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

AAAAAAAAAA

They are like, noodle-thin bolts about a foot apart.

Look at what they were using in 1931 to get to 900feet!

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

hellotoothpaste posted:

His wife is a descendant of one of the passengers, so I assume there was a personal interest

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I wonder if Mark Watney could have scienced the poo poo out of that sub. Oh well, guess we’ll never know.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Hold on

Is that the undertaker's music?

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
hosed up that the best outcome would be the sub crunching like a beer can a frat boy slams on his forehead

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
imo if you pluck the mangled wreckage from the ocean floor you should win all of their money

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Haha, holy poo poo. Just when I thought things had gotten as ridiculous as they were going to get, someone used AI to write fanfiction about the final moments on the sub.

https://twitter.com/dennly109/status/1671681684893229058?t=BjsbbWkAMhXq0ec8iou3lg&s=19

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

The Stroker Ace posted:

I wonder if Mark Watney could have scienced the poo poo out of that sub. Oh well, guess we’ll never know.

He'd never have gotten on the thing to begin with. Any NASA engineer, even a biologist, would look at that sub and nope the gently caress out of there.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
If it imploded, you could haul up a liter of seawater from that general vicinity and argue it was their last remains. I dont think even dental fillings or wedding bands would be left.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

jadebullet posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. Just when I thought things had gotten as ridiculous as they were going to get, someone used AI to write fanfiction about the final moments on the sub.

https://twitter.com/dennly109/status/1671681684893229058?t=BjsbbWkAMhXq0ec8iou3lg&s=19

My AI decided that seeing they were all going to die of suffocation, they all took turns to go and jerk off in the toilet part one last time.

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022

Kill All Cops posted:

love how the billionaires are dead but new search bots keep getting announced WWE style

BAH GAWD IS THAT LIMITING FACTOR'S MUSIC

:bahgawd:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
We've hit the coast guard's official estimate for when life support runs out. Hopefully it was just a quick and easy explosive decompression shortly after contact was lost and not days of utter agony waiting for a rescue that would never come.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

o7

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

Better than that. They’re now PART of The Titanic, for future billionaire idiots to gawp at

Titanic still got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Not sure if this has been asked already, but we have to assume the passengers had mega life insurance policies. Would they even pay out for this? They literally got into an unregulated vessel and all signed waivers that said "Hey you might die in this thing"...