Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
... Boston got 2 firsts and Kristaps for Marcus Smart? What the gently caress, Memphis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Paracaidas posted:

... Boston got 2 firsts and Kristaps for Marcus Smart? What the gently caress, Memphis?

Yeah, I mean, he wasn't on my wish list but this seems pretty good I guess?? Definitely need another PG now since White isn't really a primary ball handler and Brogdon appears to be dead. Honestly get the Wizards back on the horn and get Tyus Jones.

e: Or this does open up a Horford + picks package for Dame...

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

xbilkis posted:

I kind of love Marcus Smart as Enlightened Dillon Brooks for the Grizz, even if two firsts feels a lil steep. Especially because unlike in Boston he shouldn't ever feel the onus to be the primary offensive initiator*. Just focus all his energy on defending, flopping, and randomly catching fire from three in timely moments

Well at least not after the first 25 games

What I'm reading here is they are trying to re-capture the magic of Mr. "first team all defense" Tony Allen. Including both mediocre shooting and coming from the Celtics. However, Tony Allen had some value in the key metric of #ringz

Internet Savant fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 22, 2023

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
When you get a chance to pay 2 firsts and a premium bench player for an older, more expensive Dillon brooks you gotta take it

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Celtics makes a trade for KP and the Heat will end this summer with their only two off-season moves being to re-sign Zeller and Love...

Somehow the Heat will take Boston to 7 again.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJWYTetgsns

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Internet Savant posted:

What I'm reading here is they are trying to re-capture the magic of Mr. "first team all defense" Tony Allen. Including both mediocre shooting and coming from the Celtics. However, Tony Allen had some value in the key metric of #ringz

Saying Tony Allen had mediocre shooting is being super generous to TA.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

xbilkis posted:

I kind of love Marcus Smart as Enlightened Dillon Brooks for the Grizz, even if two firsts feels a lil steep. Especially because unlike in Boston he shouldn't ever feel the onus to be the primary offensive initiator*. Just focus all his energy on defending, flopping, and randomly catching fire from three in timely moments

Well at least not after the first 25 games

Enlightened Dillon Brooks but he still chucks ten threes in playoff games just like the original

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Smart, Kiwi, JJJ on 1 team dear lord

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Strawberry Panda posted:

Saying Tony Allen had mediocre shooting is being super generous to TA.

I still remember a weird season in those bygone years where the Celtics were trash headlined by Paul Pierce and he went down with an injury. Tony Allen rallied off like a dozen games of 20+ points on good shooting before injuring himself on a show-off dunk after a whistle.

I might be exaggerating aspect of this but it was imprinted in my teenage brain.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
As someone who grew up an NBA fan and left for a long time, but returned in the past few years... Marcus Smart has been one of my favorite players to watch. Tell me why I should hate/love this trade?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lifespan posted:

As someone who grew up an NBA fan and left for a long time, but returned in the past few years... Marcus Smart has been one of my favorite players to watch. Tell me why I should hate/love this trade?

He was born to play on the Grizzlies. This is a good thing for him, maybe not for them.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Lifespan posted:

I don’t know what team you actually root for but Marcus smart flops 12 times a game and stinks on offense

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Lifespan posted:

who doesnt enjoy a team comprised entirely of dipshit assholes? it's like it's always sunny in philadelphia but with nba players and about as funny as recent seasons

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Ammanas posted:

who doesnt enjoy a team comprised entirely of dipshit assholes? it's like it's always sunny in philadelphia but with nba players and about as funny as recent seasons

Who is Frank in this analogy?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

JJJ and Adams are wonderful and Bane ain’t bothered anyone.

Late 1st round picks generally aren’t that huge a loss and Tyus was gone regardless so I’m cool with this trade - minus the flopping Smart is like the prototypical Grizz player

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Smeef posted:

Who is Frank in this analogy?

steven adams obviously

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Missing you already
My fav boston sports screenshot of him

temple fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 22, 2023

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

23 and 24 picks are worthless

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Good on Khris Middleton for opting out, get paid right now my guy.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
drat now I gotta watch Smart 4 times a year? Yuck

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Brogeoisie posted:

So Brogdons medical is hosed and I guess Smart is expendable with Derrick White and Peyton Pritchard? I'm intrigued by this team

they're gonna trade for dame obviously

e: i should clarify i was joking here

Salvor_Hardin posted:

e: Or this does open up a Horford + picks package for Dame...

this has been a very weird offseason but if al horford goes to POR in any eventual dame trade just go ahead and ban me on some toxx thing. also if bam goes to portland

stuker fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 22, 2023

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

if the trailblazers traded dame for al horford and some picks not only should it be vetoed their entire franchise should be voided and the blazers players should just ball in NBA jerseys for a year

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
sorry grizz, i was fine with the gun stuff but i draw the line at marcus smart flops

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

rivetz posted:

Good on Khris Middleton for opting out, get paid right now my guy.

Uhh he turned down $40M. You think he’s getting more than that in FA? That seems wild to me.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
The bucks will sign him to like 3/90

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Opting out is always the right decision unless you were injured the year before or you suck.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Uhh he turned down $40M. You think he’s getting more than that in FA? That seems wild to me.

He likely wants to lock down more overall money now than he might be able to negotiate in a year due to age/injuries

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

big boi posted:

He likely wants to lock down more overall money now than he might be able to negotiate in a year due to age/injuries
This is what I meant, as good as he looked in the playoffs it's the right move to cover his bases and cash in now

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Well Marcus Smart fits the need Memphis had, ought to work well with Steven Adams. I thought it was an overpay by Boston at first blush, but Horford and Robert Williams are both guys that have intermittent availability issues and Porzingis is a much better shooter outside than Robert.

Not surprised the market is flinching at Brogdon who also has injury risk. Derrick White must be the next guard up.

Danilo Gallinari headed to Washington and owed $6.8M next year. I know it's comparing six foot ten forward apples to six three guard oranges but it is shocking to me that Dennis Schröder didn't make that much last year.

temple posted:

23 and 24 picks are worthless

give you five seconds for em

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Anxiously awaiting to see which team trades SIX seconds tomorrow in a single deal.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Gonz posted:

Anxiously awaiting to see which team trades SIX seconds tomorrow in a single deal.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Memphis what are you doing

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

a new study bible! posted:

Memphis what are you doing

Robert Pera made a bet that his team can win a game scoring less than 80 points and he aims to collect.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I still remember a weird season in those bygone years where the Celtics were trash headlined by Paul Pierce and he went down with an injury. Tony Allen rallied off like a dozen games of 20+ points on good shooting before injuring himself on a show-off dunk after a whistle.

I might be exaggerating aspect of this but it was imprinted in my teenage brain.

Nope, this is exactly right. Tore his ACL on that dunk.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Grizzlies are dead to me as my 2nd favorite team in the west. Good move for Boston, addition by subtraction. Marcus smart is terrible

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

guys, I'm in The Zone.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

You fool! You cannot contain the energy radiating from the DEAL ZONE! Man's hubris to control wojbombs will leave us all in its wreckage!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I like this deal on paper tbh but I can't picture the Celts without Smart or Smart without the Celtics. Will take a little to get used to. Can you even yell "porzingis" with a Southie accent after iced dunks spiked with fireball?

I guess in the meantime this bumps Brogdon up to starter unless he's kaput. How hurt is Brogdon right now

If he's healthy a starting lineup of Jay/Jay/RW3/KP/Brogdon sounds p good to me