Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

That moment when they make Titanic 2, and the old lady throws a dead billionaires' iPhone 13 off the edge of the boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Say what you will about its stumble in its rookie year no other boat is still racking up numbers this late in its career

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
So given the laws of homeopathy we're all going to start becoming billionaires now right?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Stepdad soupified, so what

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Can we start a GoFundMe to build a submarine to bring back these brave souls alive????

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jadebullet posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. Just when I thought things had gotten as ridiculous as they were going to get, someone used AI to write fanfiction about the final moments on the sub.

https://twitter.com/dennly109/status/1671681684893229058?t=BjsbbWkAMhXq0ec8iou3lg&s=19

Someone needs to train that AI better on billionaire behaviour. I assume they'd be yelling at the CEO, wasting what oxygen is left in the process, about how when they get out of there they're gonna get sued.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Victor 6000 is a chad gotdamn

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

Not sure if this has been asked already, but we have to assume the passengers had mega life insurance policies. Would they even pay out for this? They literally got into an unregulated vessel and all signed waivers that said "Hey you might die in this thing"...

It's not suicide (which the insurers probably have a clause against or can argue with), its death by misadventure so would pay out.
It's the same as taking a mountain hike, and dying to some stupid thing there.
Though the deathtrap company will get sued to gently caress now.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I feel bad for the fresh out of college engineers who designed this death trap after being told by the CEO that it's "innovative". Not gonna look good on the old resume.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

happyhippy posted:

Though the deathtrap company will get sued to gently caress now.

Well the deathtrap company CEO is dead so I think the company probably is too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I feel bad for the fresh out of college engineers who designed this death trap after being told by the CEO that it's "innovative". Not gonna look good on the old resume.

"could you explain the gap?"

"GETTING BLASTED BY A SUPERHEATED TURBOJET OF DECOMP WAS THE BEST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN TO THEM OKAY"

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

You just know the first billionaire tourist ship to go to the moon is going to slam right into it because they decided a repurposed Direct TV dish would save money on the communications budget or that they brought along bathtub ring cleaning liquid instead of windex and the seals on the windows melted or some poo poo.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The domes at the front of the sub are pushed onto the tube by the external pressure. They dont actually need huge bolts to remain tight and the gaskets sealed. You only need enough bolt load to ensure the bolts still are loaded when the sub as it depth, and to resist any hydrodynamic forces from moving.

Thats not actually a huge load on the sealing gasket, only 60kn or so from the water pressure. You can apply 33kn with a single M10x1.5 bolt, assuming its A4 stainless. That be applied with about 80nm torque assuming no lubrication.

Even four would enough to tighten it, but in practice you need a lot more to ensure you have a good load distribution around the flange.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The suicide = no life insurance thing is a largely a myth.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hellotoothpaste posted:

I’ll never get it. These Explorer’s Club folks, I can understand having to somehow spend too much money and doing it by going to space (pretty safe when you get there), up Mount Everest (to die and become a permanent waypoint), whatever other poo poo you need to do when you have more money than you know what to do with.

Who the gently caress cares about the Titanic? I mean really, they made the movie and we’re all on the same page about it. There are full photogrammetric scans of it. Who. loving. Cares.

Stupid-rear end Titanic stupid rear end CEO guy.

You haven’t felt the wonder of this sunken pile of scrap until you’ve looked at it through a six inch porthole

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

I hope this doesn’t dissuade this company or any similar ones from doing any more expeditions like this.

It’s gonna be way, WAY funnier next time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

You just know the first billionaire tourist ship to go to the moon is going to slam right into it because they decided a repurposed Direct TV dish would save money on the communications budget or that they brought along bathtub ring cleaning liquid instead of windex and the seals on the windows melted or some poo poo.

*points to communications array*

"I bought this from Camping World."

*pulls out wireless N64 Mad Catz controller*

"The whole Mars mission ship is controlled right here."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Someone needs to train that AI better on billionaire behaviour. I assume they'd be yelling at the CEO, wasting what oxygen is left in the process, about how when they get out of there they're gonna get sued.

Son... My only regret is that i never got a chance to harvest your blood and organs to keep myself alive forever

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Is that it?
Has the oxygen run out for our fearless explorers?

It's been an honour shitposting with all you goons

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Oh it ain't over yet this thread is staying around until they find the carbon coffin or everyone gives up

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I love the news saying "welp, air has probably run out unless they've taken measures to conserve oxygen" when they really want to start speculating on who has killed who down there.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

hellotoothpaste posted:

I’ll never get it. These Explorer’s Club folks, I can understand having to somehow spend too much money and doing it by going to space (pretty safe when you get there), up Mount Everest (to die and become a permanent waypoint), whatever other poo poo you need to do when you have more money than you know what to do with.

Who the gently caress cares about the Titanic? I mean really, they made the movie and we’re all on the same page about it. There are full photogrammetric scans of it. Who. loving. Cares.

Stupid-rear end Titanic stupid rear end CEO guy.

It’s about going somewhere extremely few people have ever been. Not about what you do when you get there.

This is why the summit of Everest is covered in trash and frozen turds, and LEO will soon follow it. The Titanic too—unless it can build a reputation for mulching billionaires.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Siri. I’m keen to see more video of people doing something incredibly stupid with no regard for health and safety

https://twitter.com/avgeekcal/status/1671529602928320512?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Comedy option is that the wreckage of the sub actually damaged the wreck of the Titanic somehow too

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Oh it ain't over yet this thread is staying around until they find the carbon coffin or everyone gives up

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Seth Pecksniff posted:

good, the mh370 thread lived for years and that didn't have people who deserved death aboard.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Beartaco posted:

I envy your life that you haven't met at least one person who's really fuckin' into the Titanic.

There are probably only a handful, one made Terminator 2 and used rated vehicles to go check it out. Five are now part of the circle of life because one of them decided to roll-your-own-sub using innovative tools he lucked upon by winning a goon’s unpaid storage unit on Storage Wars.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Das Boo posted:

Ripley: How many drops is this for you, Lieutenant?

Gorman: Thirty eight... simulated.

Vasquez: How many *combat* drops?

Gorman: Two. Including this one.

in the pipe

5' X 5"

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Once upon a time, in the not-so-distant future, there existed a group of five incredibly wealthy but incredibly foolish individuals. These people were known far and wide for their absurdly extravagant lifestyles, their penchant for excess, and their complete disregard for the world around them. They reveled in their wealth, always seeking out new ways to flaunt it.

One fateful day, the five rich individuals found themselves aboard a private submarine. They embarked on this extravagant underwater adventure, oblivious to the fact that their lives were about to take an unexpected turn.

As fate would have it, a catastrophic malfunction occurred, causing the submarine to veer off course and become trapped deep below the surface of the ocean. Panic quickly set in among the passengers as they realized their dire situation. They had only a few hours' worth of breathable air remaining, and the possibility of rescue seemed slim.

The five rich individuals, accustomed to having their every whim catered to, were suddenly faced with a reality they couldn't buy their way out of. Despite their wealth, their material possessions meant nothing in the face of impending doom. The confined space of the submarine intensified their desperation, leaving them no choice but to confront their own mortality.

As the hours ticked by, the passengers' fear grew into hysteria. They argued and fought amongst themselves, blaming each other for their predicament. In their panic, they overlooked the opportunity to come together and pool their resources for a potential escape.

Meanwhile, deep within their privileged bodies, the excesses they had indulged in throughout their lives finally caught up with them. Their insatiable appetite for rich foods and lavish feasts, combined with the stress and fear of their situation, triggered a terrible outbreak of violent diarrhea. The luxurious submarine suddenly became a wretched cesspool of poo poo and despair.

Their bodies weakened by the relentless illness, the five individuals succumbed to their fate one by one. Their wealth and possessions proved to be meaningless in the face of their impending demise. In their final moments, they grasped at the realization that their lavish lifestyle had left them empty and devoid of any true meaning.

And so, within the confines of that once-opulent submarine, the lives of the five foolish and self-centered individuals came to a tragic end. Their deaths served as a stark reminder that wealth and material possessions cannot shield one from the consequences of their actions or guarantee true happiness.

The world moved on, indifferent to the passing of these once-wealthy individuals. The story of their demise became a cautionary tale, a reminder for future generations that true fulfillment comes not from material wealth, but from compassion, empathy, and a genuine connection with the world around them.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

The news isn't really getting the nuance that it's not just a video game controller, it's a lovely third-party controller. Can't trust the media to bring you the basic facts.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Vengarr posted:

It’s about going somewhere extremely few people have ever been. Not about what you do when you get there.

This is why the summit of Everest is covered in trash and frozen turds, and LEO will soon follow it. The Titanic too—unless it can build a reputation for mulching billionaires.

It’s so loving dumb, though. Who cares about the Titanic? Goddamn 1912 china plates still in their cabinets, a bunch of broken poo poo that’s preserved but you have to drive right up to in order to appreciate it. The entire premise of the movie was a warning allegory against being too rich and engineering hubris.

Stupid rear end Titanic. Stupid rear end Titan.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

The news isn't really getting the nuance that it's not just a video game controller, it's a lovely third-party controller. Can't trust the media to bring you the basic facts.

This was infuriating today, all of the hullabaloo on cable news was “it was controlled by a game console controller/XBOX/PlayStation” all up in arms. The passengers loving wish they’d be so fortunate, it was controlled by a USB dongle gamepad with a hardware switch for DInput/XInput. That’s enough to send you to the Hague if you were ever rescued, christ.

hellotoothpaste fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 22, 2023

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

smellmycheese posted:

Siri. I’m keen to see more video of people doing something incredibly stupid with no regard for health and safety

https://twitter.com/avgeekcal/status/1671529602928320512?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

One of my strongest memories is when a replica spitfire was taxi'ing up a small incline infront of me and I was lifted clean off my feet and was flailing around holding onto ersatz guard rail, my father smiling at the ñearning experience afterwards

The spitfire was a V12(?) Prop plane

That jet engine poo poo is absolute madness holy hell

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

smellmycheese posted:

ehhh... I could see myself there, I would probably stand slightly back and off to the side. :shrug:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The suicide = no life insurance thing is a largely a myth.

Not really.
Saw one on the TV a few weeks ago for old folk life insurance. One of the small print at the bottom of the screen was 'does not pay out on suicide'.
A google there shows some have the clause saying its null and void if you commit suicide before a certain time frame.

Anyway, paying $250k is a bit pricey for a suicide if its about the money.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

hellotoothpaste posted:

It’s so loving dumb, though. Who cares about the Titanic? Goddamn 1912 china plates still in their cabinets, a bunch of broken poo poo that’s preserved but you have to drive right up to in order to appreciate it. The entire premise of the movie was a warning allegory against being too rich and engineering hubris.

Stupid rear end Titanic. Stupid rear end Titan.

Most places still untouched by man in 2023 are untouched because there is zero loving reason to touch them.

If there was a reason to go there, people would have gone already.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

For 250 grand did each guy get his own P bottle or did all 5 have to share one?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They all had to share one but not at the same time ‘cause that’s gay.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Source posted:

An expert who helped design the Deepsea Challenger submersible used by director James Cameron to view the Mariana Trench (the deepest in the world) said he believes the missing Titan sub has run out of power or is suffering from partial flooding in the pressure hull.

“To me, it sounds like the sub’s pressure hull is intact, but it’s demobilised from power,” deep-sea engineer Ron Allum told The Guardian.

“Sound travels particularly well underwater. A catastrophic implosion could be heard for thousands of miles and could be recorded," he explained, suggesting a pressure hull implosion was unlikely.

However, he did explain that while the sub may have dropped weights to try to resurface, any flooding would keep it below the water.

“If the pressure hull is flooded, you’re now talking about the dry mass of a vessel. You could be lifting a very heavy weight,” Allum said.

“If it were intact, an ROV [remotely operated vehicle] could attach to it and it could at least bring it up to shallower water where they could get a stronger lift cable to it to lift it out of the water … that ascent may take an hour or two.

“The ROV may have to work around the wreckage … it may take a few hours to release the sub from the seafloor.”

Published a little late I think, but for it to have flooded without a decompression blowout that means this thing failed super close to the surface, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

For 250 grand did each guy get his own P bottle or did all 5 have to share one?

They price dropped to $100k I think because the only people paying were dumbasses like a reality show chef and social media influencers, and people from dubious nation states with an outrageous amount of money.

I’ve been saying that if I paid the 1/4 mil to make the dive, showed up and saw this thing, I would be fine with no refund as long as I was immediately returned to land. “Make sure to take your shoes off, here’s the poop seat” NOPE gently caress you y’all are idiots, nevermind I’ll just swim back to shore.