Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr. Lobe posted:

She hates gods

Those were statues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
those statues are probably the Throne equivalent of those lovely confederate general statues made sixty years after the war ended, it's fine

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I like the juxtaposition here of the maybe sword following Jadis very much

Paradox, contradiction and ambiguity are important philosophical points in the eastern traditions of the inspirations for k6bd. And Allison playing by "I am an Elder Scroll" rules (anything she decides retroactively was always and ever going to be) would mean that Jadis is very technically correct because the snapshot of the universal fate that is her brain just gets rearranged instantaneously, she is just printing out the information

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

RBA Starblade posted:

Those were statues

They were gods, pretty sure the statues in Throne are all petrified god corpses right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't think this is Throne. Throne doesn't have blue skies. And the petrified gods are bigger than these.

Actually, looking earlier they did pass a bunch of huge things that looked Throne's gods peeking up through clouds, so maybe this is Throne? But in any case, the god corpses aren't actually done up like statues on pedestals like this. These were just statues.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 17, 2023

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Choice is definitely an illusion in this universe, but the comic has also been very clear about the importance of lying to yourself about that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

We don't explicitly know where this is, but it could very well be Throne. It's a huge place, and very diverse. While the sun is broken and doesn't move through the sky any more, there are sunny areas.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

MikeJF posted:

I don't think this is Throne. Throne doesn't have blue skies. And the petrified gods are bigger than these.

Actually, looking earlier they did pass a bunch of huge things that looked Throne's gods peeking up through clouds, so maybe this is Throne? But in any case, the god corpses aren't actually done up like statues on pedestals like this. These were just statues.

They all have empty keyholes, they're all failures who couldn't cut it (or uncut it)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

idonotlikepeas posted:

Choice is definitely an illusion in this universe, but the comic has also been very clear about the importance of lying to yourself about that.

Conversely, it also doesn't matter at all because you were always going to choose to lie to yourself about that, or not.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Something can be important even if you have no choice but to do it.

Alternatively, punch the philosophical concept of determinism so hard that it ceases to exist, and then do as you please.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

This page goes hard as gently caress.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Thundarr posted:

Alternatively, punch the philosophical concept of determinism so hard that it ceases to exist, and then do as you please.

sooner or later it always comes back to Dune

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Thundarr posted:

Cut the philosophical concept of determinism so hard that it ceases to exist, and then do as you please.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
ALLISON WAS HERE

MAYA IS A LOSER

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Can't help but think there is a huge BUT hanging over the end of the second page of this update

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bilirubin posted:

Can't help but think there is a huge BUT hanging over the end of the second page of this update

It's not nice to leer at your Auntie Maya, dear...

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
So carrots lack the ability to choose their own fate
bummer

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

:five:

Gnome de plume posted:

So carrots lack the ability to choose their own fate
bummer

Fool you are, for they simply choose not too. Thus following the road to Julienne. :colbert:

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah I'm expecting Allison to reply "and cause the wheel to spin again, fixing nothing in the process." but still with a mouth full of food.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 20, 2023

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Bilirubin posted:

"And you know what I do to gods and their thrones."

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The PYF Comic thread is going through KSBD and is generating its own excellent edits

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Honestly I'm with Jagg on this. I will not stop spending money on candles.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/6Drillion/status/1266470708160405507

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

lol these are great

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1671580701789962240
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1671581395259465744
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1671582803627057163

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 21, 2023

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I hate... disease

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The PYF Comic thread is going through KSBD and is generating its own excellent edits

lmao

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ThaumPenguin posted:

End of History tweets

He ain't wrong, but nothing will stop folks from writing and wanting stories that end with "and then everything was perfect forever."

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
He's kind of tilting at windmills here.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Agreed, but I do think it's important to denote that he isn't impugning the concept of happy endings. Good things can happen and princesses can live happily ever after. He's specifically going after the narrative trope of assuming that once the Big Bad is toppled, the setting enters a state of benevolent monarchical utopia forever and always, courtesy of the hero, and regards the condition or circumstances of the world.

It is kinda the whole thing KSBD is about, addressing the issue of how fixing a broken system of abuse and violence can't really be solved with more abuse and violence except good because the protagonist does it. Sure, we incinerated 75% of the continent, and winter is coming, but don't worry. We won! Everything is peachy now!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 22, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

He ain't wrong, but nothing will stop folks from writing and wanting stories that end with "and then everything was perfect forever."

That may be so but as I've been rereading I've been struck more and more about how everything in Kill Six Billion Demons is about the futility of the idea of permanence and the permanent solution. The whole design of Angels and Devils is ways to play out the idea of an infinite life against the impossibility of how such a being would work, and the angels just get stuck in cycles. Zoss wrapped up the whole world looking for permanent solutions that never came. Solomon created his perfect outcome and it produced a glittering, completely frozen jewel with no life at all. And Maya's question of wanting a permanent solution with

is her biggest mistake, and the comic has given us our answer when Zaid quotes Allison:

When Zoss talks about how how the King of Swords must let their burden be taken up by others, the night before Solomon vs White Chain, he wasn't just talking about trusting those around you: he was talking about trusting those who come after you, as well. Nobody can do forever, and trying to is the greatest trap - all those who achieved ultimate power in this comic have tried their version of it and it destroyed them and the world around them.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 22, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MikeJF posted:

When Zoss talks about how how the King of Swords must let their burden be taken up by others, the night before Solomon vs White Chain, he wasn't just talking about trusting those around you: he was talking about trusting those who come after you, as well.

Oh yeah, I think we're in agreement. I was just commenting on how common and beloved those kinds of stories are. Part of what makes KSBD so special is that it's going for the jugular of that comfy myth.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

YaketySass posted:

He's kind of tilting at windmills here.

Also a lot of what he’s talking about isn’t even end of history narratives. By ‘end point’ he seems to largely be alluding to the act of having any kind of societal vision whatsoever in some cases.

Like yeah many of them are bad visions for how to improve society but that doesn’t make them a Francis Fukuyama end of history narrative.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
He namedrops cryptofascism and western christian culture, so my read is he’s specifically calling out the rapture narrative - the big end of the world event, where something so revoluntary happens that our current society/humanity is finished and all wrapped up at X point, and nothing else we do matters leading up to it except the things contributing to the inevitable X. Whether that’s the literal rapture of biblical apocalypse, the basilisk technocracy, the preppers daydreaming about becoming enclave kings of the new society, the stock cults, etc.

:shobon: But that’s just my read

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

coolusername posted:

He namedrops cryptofascism and western christian culture, so my read is he’s specifically calling out the rapture narrative - the big end of the world event, where something so revoluntary happens that our current society/humanity is finished and all wrapped up at X point, and nothing else we do matters leading up to it except the things contributing to the inevitable X. Whether that’s the literal rapture of biblical apocalypse, the basilisk technocracy, the preppers daydreaming about becoming enclave kings of the new society, the stock cults, etc.

:shobon: But that’s just my read

Mine too. With a side of "oh well the end times will come we can gently caress around all we please, we're not going to be here to find out."

Ill admit that last part might be my baggage showing.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Thyrork posted:

oh well the end times will come we can gently caress around all we please

Think you might be missing the point here, friend

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
To be completely honest, the vibe I got from a lot of KSBD is that it's (alongside most works in the general vicinity of the genre) heavily poisoned by Nietzche. I didn't comment much on it because I'd like to first see where it's going with the end of the comic before leaving a, for lack of a better word, comparative review.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think a lot of ideas can come to that same conclusion without being poisoned by actual philosophical ramblings of academics. Those mindsets often independently coalesce under the pressure of modern capitalism.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
yeah I'm pretty sure he means end of the world we're the last generation we don't have to try rather than the world is solved and everything will be fine?

because culturally we sure do live in an era where all sides politically feel like we're living in the end of things and it's affected a lot of how people do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

"The old world is dying, and the new world struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters"