Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Is there a smart way to decide how to upgrade your poo poo in the long run? broad/long/bastard swords +1/2 going anywhere here besides the latest one you can buy just going to have better numbers for your mats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

From what I've heard, as long as you do hunts and sidequests you will always be given good gear materials that can be crafted into gear that will always beat stuff you can buy from the store directly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I keep accidentally using all my potions because I'm spamming buttons when I think I'm in torgal mode lol

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Maybe my eyes aren't what they used to be but I honestly can't see any difference between frame rate and graphics mode save for a lower frame rate and awful motion blur on graphics mode.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Isn't there meant to be a motion blur toggle with the patch? Can't find it and the blur sucks.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Future patch, not the prerelease patch.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Did anyone else notice that the arete stone ATL entry just casually mentions that the hideaway is the remnants of an airship because lol there's the classic Cid connection

(noone actually confirm/deny if it becomes relevant if you're that far already)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Yoship didn't come to gently caress around.

Game good.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So what's the verdict on performance VS quality mode at launch?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Can Cid just be the main character instead?

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Kingtheninja posted:

The motion blur on quality is waaaaaaaay more intense so that alone makes it a no go for me at least

Also, game
Good

Ceramics fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 22, 2023

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

Digital Foundry and my own experience indicate that quality is the way to go.

Huge sacrifices to IQ in performance and you get…a jumpy and unstable frame rate in the trade off.

Quality feels fine and is (importantly) a stable and smooth 30.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Please let my work day end

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I hated quality and went to performance. The intense motion blur and 30fps while exploring feels bad. Loving the game so far, combat is better than I expected and they’ve done a good job balancing the world building and characters.

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Digital Foundry and my own experience indicate that quality is the way to go.

Huge sacrifices to IQ in performance and you get…a jumpy and unstable frame rate in the trade off.

Quality feels fine and is (importantly) a stable and smooth 30.

I've got the opposite opinion so far, I had it on quality for an hour or so, then switched to performance and it just feels so much nicer. Moving the camera around in quality is absolute trash, and performance framerate is definitely a lot better than the demo.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

i normally go for performance whenever its available but after getting to the first exploration area the framerate jumping all over the place was making me want to hurl and i had switch to quality

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

What’s the advantage of the phoenix dash compared to Clive’s regular lunge other than to hit airborne enemies? Regular lunge into magic burst bullies light enemies brutally, while the Garuda pull generally just feels very versatile and useful all around. Does the phoenix dash have iframes?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Its Rinaldo posted:

Yoship didn't come to gently caress around.

"But YoshiP, how much filler content will we put in after the opening bombastic spectacle?"
"All bombast"
"No you need a grinding area for..."
*slamming fist on table* "ALL BOMBAST"

It feels like I'm playing an RPG in fast forward.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think thats how jrpgs have been paced for like 20 years

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Man I wish I could destroy these boxes and barrels

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm trying my damnedest to avoid spoilers so I'm popping in just to say that this early forest area is gorgeous. In fact the whole game is. But this forest is another level.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What the gently caress is Benedikta's accent? It changes between Irish, American and Eastern European with every sentence.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

what is it about Scandinavian accents that makes goons lose their minds

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Frankston posted:

What the gently caress is Benedikta's accent? It changes between Irish, American and Eastern European with every sentence.

Her VA is half Polish, half Norwegian so that might explain it. She was also the VA for one of the Viera sisters in Shadowbringers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Frankston posted:

Waloeden.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Frankston posted:

Iceland

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Filler is badass hope the game will slow down a bit now that i'm through what seems to have been basically the "first chapter" of the story.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I prefer quality despite the blur. Performance feels like it's constantly hitching and uneven. Turning off blur on graphics mode will be perfect, it's very steady.

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
"This is one of his majesty's cunning stunts, and he's sent his best to execute it" :lol:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bland posted:

what is it about Scandinavian accents that makes goons lose their minds

Thinking about that one redditor who kept insisting that the XIV viera accent was some made up offensive pastiche of an Indian accent or something and had to have the concept of Iceland slowly explained to them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The best one remains the goons who got really mad about Claudia Black's natural accent calling it a bad impression in Uncharted.

The episode of Chuck where Yvonne Strahovski does her natural accent is close though, because it also meant those people did not play Mass Effect 2.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
show me Iceland. you can’t

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
Think I’m done with Eurogamer, for good.

Completely white team of middle class nerds preaching without practice, they’ve surpassed the bloody Guardian now.

Big shame to see a formally great website turn into whatever it is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that eurogamer review seems pretty banal outside of the weird assertion that there literally isnt a single non-white person in the game

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

that eurogamer review seems pretty banal outside of the weird assertion that there literally isnt a single non-white person in the game

it’s just so weird to come from a place that used to be like Edge-lite.

the adults take apart games properly in digital foundry and then pass it to a bunch of children who complain about whatever social issues are on their tiktoks.

let’s just outright refuse to review hogwarts, but this russian game is OK, and now we complain about japanese people being racist?

look balding man in his 20’s, this isn’t your job. does the game pew pew that is what we need to know.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Crystal Thenis posted:

Think I’m done with Eurogamer, for good.

Completely white team of middle class nerds preaching without practice, they’ve surpassed the bloody Guardian now.

Big shame to see a formally great website turn into whatever it is.

I definitely didn't have FFXVI getting drawn in and subjected to American culture war and dumb review standards on my bingo card before some people became obsessed with some interview he gave.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This game has awesome pacing, I couldn't put it down today, I think I played for about 6 hours and that isn't something I ever really do with video games. Its just badass scene after badass scene.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
it’s so weird to see it there

it makes the guardians review look like proper gaming journalism

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2023/jun/21/final-fantasy-xvi-review-square-enix-ps5

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The Polygon article where they’re shocked Clive has to learn slavery is bad instead of coming out of his not at all terrible mother’s womb with the inherent knowledge is pretty cringe too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Its because British game critics are grumpy morons who are still bitter about the Amiga, OP.