Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I imagine Boston might be looking for an MLE point guard now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Boston is going to start Derrick white

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Gutted by the loss of Smart :negative:

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Boston really really wants CP3, I bet

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Gazing into the deal zone

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Panzeh posted:

Good loving luck with this FA class.

Probably more likely the go into the season with Brogdon and White and then make an in season trade.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Strawberry Panda posted:

Opting out is always the right decision unless you were injured the year before or you suck.

Or you are a weird ugly little German guy with a body frame that looks like Megaman X.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

big boi posted:

Boston really really wants CP3, I bet
He's probably too expensive for them to fit though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Fast Luck posted:

He's probably too expensive for them to fit though.

If he gets waived he won't be.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
One of the biggest reasons I want Charlotte to take Scoot (aside from the obvious) is that it feels like there'd be a decent market for Rozier right now. Maybe they do that regardless and roll with a Brandon Miller / Cody Martin / Bouknight / McGowens / FA / draft platoon at wing but whatever

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
2 DPOYs on the same team, lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Boston should get Rozier back :hmmyes:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Also, them two picks ain’t gonna be worth much. I had high hopes for the Warriors pick but it looks like they aren’t gonna fall off just yet, and these next two drafts…eh.

I like the deal. The Grizzlies don’t have much room for more rookies so it’s “smart” to consolidate. I’ll be very curious to see what moves they make on the margins

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Fuckin' Boston, man. lol

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The picks arent work much but they allow for trades like the Brogdon and White deals that were made possible by including a first.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Is there a way for Washington to pay for half of CP3s salary and trade him for assets?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Not a thing in the NBA. Closest you can get is a buyout but that’s not the same thing

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I believe Chris Paul’s $30 million became guaranteed when he got traded, he was only going to get half if he was waived by the Suns

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The CP3 trade isn't fully official yet right? The Wizards are trying to find a third team that might want him because they can't just reroute him later due to CBA rules limiting players being traded multiple times in a certain time period?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Panzeh posted:

White > Brogdon (unless also traded?? edit: or dead) > Pritchard is actually a pretty deep PG rotation.

Smart was surplus to their requirements, and he got outplayed by other guards on the roster in the playoffs. Feels like they got a pretty good haul for him to me.

They also got a late 1st round pick in tonight's draft and Boston will probably end up drafting one of the 7-8 combo guards listed in the late first round mock drafts to add to guard depth.

Libertine fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 22, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Bip Roberts posted:

Is there a way for Washington to pay for half of CP3s salary and trade him for assets?
In the NBA this tends to happen by taking back dogshit contracts yourself (and then buying them out). There is no "retained money" mechanic though.

Porfiriato posted:

I believe Chris Paul’s $30 million became guaranteed when he got traded, he was only going to get half if he was waived by the Suns
I believe it was another $10m or so which makes it $25 of $30 before the deadline next week, but I can't find the source on that.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1671865799584235521

does Malcolm Brogdon still even have two arms? it is a mystery

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1671873418977845250

earlier in the week, Windy was saying he expected a big trade to happen on Friday and he's basically been pounding the Lillard drum all week

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

TDepressionEarl posted:

Well Marcus Smart fits the need Memphis had

Does it? Don't they need a starter level wing more than another guard? Unless he was desperate to leave I'd rather have Tyus Jones

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Didn't Gallo just pick up his player option? Seems pretty hosed to send him to Washington unless they are just going to buy him out.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

been real fun reading reactions from Celtics fans around the league, a crazy rear end day for em - start it off with pure ecstasy at Porzingis trade -> quickly transition to agony over Porzingis trade falling apart - > a newfound passion for life at the news of the Porzingis trade being back on -> that is extremely short-lived, turns into absolute loving despair at Marcus Smart not being able to retire a Boston Celtic. I didn't know the man was so beloved

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1671873418977845250

earlier in the week, Windy was saying he expected a big trade to happen on Friday and he's basically been pounding the Lillard drum all week

i wonder who windhorst is carrying water here for, the team or dame?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Aye Doc posted:

been real fun reading reactions from Celtics fans around the league, a crazy rear end day for em - start it off with pure ecstasy at Porzingis trade -> quickly transition to agony over Porzingis trade falling apart - > a newfound passion for life at the news of the Porzingis trade being back on -> that is extremely short-lived, turns into absolute loving despair at Marcus Smart not being able to retire a Boston Celtic. I didn't know the man was so beloved

only guy on the team with dog

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Zinger seems to offer upside but doesn't Boston still need people who can dribble ?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Chronicles posted:

Unless he was desperate to leave I'd rather have Tyus Jones
:hai:

Aye Doc posted:

absolute loving despair at Marcus Smart not being able to retire a Boston Celtic. I didn't know the man was so beloved
Boston loves a shithead and he was their shithead.

It was years of "the national media and other fans aren't enlightened enough to understand the value he brings beyond the box score", as if there's ever been an underrated Celtic. As the siege mentality fades, so will the love of Smart. The worst this trade ends up for the front office is "Zingah's always hurt, we should've just gotten Tyus instead and cut out the Wiz".

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

BWV posted:

The Zinger seems to offer upside but doesn't Boston still need people who can dribble ?

i think the notion they'll pursue cp3 is legit, although 'can dribble' doesn't seem to apply late in the year

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Paracaidas posted:

:hai:

Boston loves a shithead and he was their shithead.

It was years of "the national media and other fans aren't enlightened enough to understand the value he brings beyond the box score", as if there's ever been an underrated Celtic. As the siege mentality fades, so will the love of Smart. The worst this trade ends up for the front office is "Zingah's always hurt, we should've just gotten Tyus instead and cut out the Wiz".

https://twitter.com/theathletic/status/1671888270488133632?s=46&t=3d9JmXOJWgE8nozHLwUyjQ

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Man what the gently caress Smart has been in the league for 10 years?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

My entire day is going to spent yelling DO SOMETHING at the bulls and then immediately melting down if they actually do something.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Considerate of Boston to trade Marcus in the off season so he has time to re-dye his hair.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Ammanas posted:

i wonder who windhorst is carrying water here for, the team or dame?

It sounds like Windy's more going off of what other front offices are telling him.

I hope Portland can at least do something with Simons and picks, but if it happens it's gonna be out of the blue because there hasn't been much chatter at all.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I thought Smart was sporadic but a pretty good playmaker and defender in the starting lineup but this was a good trade anyway.

The iterations of the Celtics with feature point guards(who have been weak defenders) were less successful in the playoffs.

I mean, for Memphis, he's absolutely an upgrade over Dillon Brooks, who shoots worse than Russ but keeps on takin' em.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

He’s going to keep it green and the mouth breathers are going to eat it up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Smart should just slather his hair in BBQ sauce, or dye in the image of Tony Allen riding that bike around Memphis.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Panzeh posted:

I mean, for Memphis, he's absolutely an upgrade over Dillon Brooks, who shoots worse than Russ but keeps on takin' em.

its a really keen move on their part, Smart is a much more versatile player than Brooks and not nearly as obviously malicious and stupid in his shitlordery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Great now who is going to turn over the ball to the Heat in the playoffs for Boston? Only Jaylen? This is bullshit!