Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
If they are floating on the ocean wouldn't something as stupid as find my friends work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Withnail posted:

If they are floating on the ocean wouldn't something as stupid as find my friends work?

That system sucks, I literally can't find my airpods in my room with the find my airpods.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They don't have any friends.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Withnail posted:

The wireless madcatz controller had a "find my controller" function. Too bad they cheaped-out and went with the wired option.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Further Reading posted:

Apparantly even their non-disaster voyages sometimes didn't make it to the titantic. There was a no refund policy.

drat. Just weaponised incompetence, it's incredible they went this long till disaster.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Withnail posted:

Lol, the owner didn’t bother to include a GPS or anything that would have been useful in such a scenario.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
you guys think they had a rapping dog on board the sub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxHNztg0X3s

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Withnail posted:

Not exactly the best coverage on the Atlantic.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Ars Arcanum posted:

Lol, the owner didn’t bother to include a GPS or anything that would have been useful in such a scenario.

presumably the sub has communications/gps systems that work on the surface, and if you've 'fool proofed' your design so that in every scenario it always returns to the surface, then bip-bop-boom so simple every eventuality covered what could go wrong...

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Love how they’re pulling out all the stops to try and rescue these for certain dead billionaires, but if it was a capsized boat full of refugees it’s just god’s plan.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

DandyLion posted:

presumably the sub has communications/gps systems that work on the surface, and if you've 'fool proofed' your design so that in every scenario it always returns to the surface, then bip-bop-boom so simple every eventuality covered what could go wrong...

A fool definitely proofed the design

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rasta_Al posted:

Love how they’re pulling out all the stops to try and rescue these for certain dead billionaires, but if it was a capsized boat full of refugees it’s just god’s plan.
This times 1000.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

1998 Altec Lansing computer speakers pumping out a string quartet version of “Nearer My God to Thee” on a loop before the power winds down.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Rasta_Al posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Messenia_migrant_boat_disaster you mean like this one from a few days ago?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

It's loving incredible they seemingly didn't bother putting a beacon or any other emergency signal on there for siituations where they surfaced out of sight of the mothership. Especially after previously being lost like that.

May not have helped this time but still, that's some real galaxy brained poo poo. Lol if they've been like a foot below the water this whole time and the thing washes up on a beach in a few months.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Further Reading posted:

Apparantly even their non-disaster voyages sometimes didn't make it to the titantic. There was a no refund policy.

There was no refund but you would get rebooked the next year, so you eventually did end up seeing the Titanic but in the ABC report this lady had rescheduled for 2 years until the weather was right and there were no technical issues.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Thread missed it, but apparently, step-son went on a racist rant overnight and then purged his profiles at the request of his grieving mom.
https://twitter.com/williamlegate/status/1671659448866160642

https://twitter.com/williamlegate/status/1671702415563714561

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Couldn’t this thing have been tethered to the support ship?

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Or they discovered the tunnel next to Titanic that lead them to the hollow earth. Now they are fighting the nazis.

Hollow Earth Shop has end-game loot, that's why we sent the billionaires

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I'm having a lol this morning partially in memoriam of some dead billionaires in a tiny tube, but mostly because I'm thinking about them using that off the shelf torque wrench to seal them in. I think I have the same one, looking at it. It's okay.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

smoobles posted:

if your only survival option is floating to the surface perhaps your door should open from the inside, as well. I hope they are implementing this feature in Titan 2.0

That's one of the few decisions I don't think was inherently bad. Let's say they bob up to the surface. Opening the front would still be difficult due to the water pushing on it and even if you could unsealed it, you're just flooding the sub with a bunch of people still inside. That's its own highly dangerous scenario.

Better to leave people in the can because in the worst case scenario where they dumped the emergency ballast after ten hours, they still have over three days they can survive inside. Plenty of time to find them by the locator beacon... which they didn't have. Or spot the brightly colored and signaling capsule... which they also did not do.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

They probably forgot the controller on the motherboat

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Rasta_Al posted:

Except they're not really pulling out ALL the stops. I'd wager the US Gov resistance to opening the circus tent and letting any/all available parties help with this is probably indicative of the fact that anyone with any iota of experience knows there's no way to rescue them and the best you can hope for is to find the wreckage (which is much less time critical and doesn't necessitate risking rescuers lives on a fair tale)....

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

got so horny on main his mom unplugged the router lol

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Piggy Smalls posted:

drat, knew I forgot something! Ah well, we'll hook it up real fast when they come back up and maybe they won't notice.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
CNN reporting that medical personnel have joined the search.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
the problem with load-bearing drywall is that once it gets wet, it's game over

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Well the stepson clearly has some kind of mental deficiency.

With that said

“Stepson help me i’m stuck” (2 miles beneath the sea)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Pope Corky the IX posted:

CNN reporting that medical personnel have joined the search.

why

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

They open the hatch and it’s empty

They open the hatch and it’s just a dog at the controls

They open the hatch and it’s full of old timey survivors from the titanic

They open the hatch and (add your own)

Wwlp, better late then never :prepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93kYkIdQdFk

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Piggy Smalls posted:

A four kilometer long cable sounds like it could create all sorts of problems on its own.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Laughs

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I think in the "body recovery" sense.

Not that they think they found it, I think it'll never be found. Just that... if they did... it'd be a recovery operation and not rescue.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Piggy Smalls posted:

thats a lotta rope!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Probably for the rescuers.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Trixie Hardcore posted:

The passengers may have “run into some bad luck,” said Karson, a professor emeritus of earth and environmental sciences at Syracuse University who has conducted numerous scientific expeditions to the ocean floor via a submersible named Alvin.
This made me think of a quote by the Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen:

quote:

Victory awaits him who has everything in order — luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck.

We don’t know what happened yet but it doesn’t sound like bad luck.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rasta_Al posted:

The billionaires are kind of how things are supposed to work. If a ship is in distress, anyone who is close enough to help is supposed to render aid and then the owners of the ships and insurance companies work out payment afterward. There's also a "we never get to use our undersea rescue equipment, so let's break it out and give it a real-world test!" thing going on, but that's not really relevant.

Refugees being ignored and left to drown is racists being lovely racists because it's not like refugees are going to take them to admiralty court.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Compare your lives to mine and kill yourselves.

Ulio posted:

There is still hope godammit, I want to believe something like the plot of Lost happened.

So they're all dead?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh, Larry's great fun...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

going to do cpr on a puddle of rich person goo