Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I'm a bit further on and after several chapters in Tear where he's vividly described people using sticks made of a pale, ridged wood which is obviously bamboo that he wants to avoid calling bamboo (and walking around on Japanese wooden sandals and wearing conical straw hats and so on), eventually he just goes "anyway that pale, ridged wood is called bamboo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Aren't those Dutch clogs though?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They're described as platforms on risers, they read more like Japanese to me

E: this whole time through I keep picturing Sandar as Samurai Jack

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 19, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Yeah I pictured them as geta sandles

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The more you know!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Data Graham posted:

They're described as platforms on risers, they read more like Japanese to me

E: this whole time through I keep picturing Sandar as Samurai Jack

It's funny and interesting that Jordan spread out bits of Japanese like culture and items throughout Randland. From the screens used by the Seanchan, to the katanasand forms used by blades asters, to Saldeans being coded as Asian (I think?). Oh yeah and House "Shinowa".

A shorthand for otherworldiness by a 90s fantasy author?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Shageletic posted:

It's funny and interesting that Jordan spread out bits of Japanese like culture and items throughout Randland. From the screens used by the Seanchan, to the katanasand forms used by blades asters, to Saldeans being coded as Asian (I think?). Oh yeah and House "Shinowa".

More that Randland is a massive cultural puree. Most of the nations have a specific cultural slant that isn't a 1:1 match with any historical culture, but has components of multiple.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wonder if it was happenstance or if he did it on purpose to not invoke stereotypes like a lot of fantasy authors do. I guess I’ll lean towards on purpose since the slave owning culture is made up of people with southern drawls.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It absolutely was intentional.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

... (with Rand shuffled off to being seen from the outside, compounding the is or is he too crazy, which honestly feels a little sped up compared to his level of sanity in the rest of the books iirc).
I've seen this take a few times. I never really got that sense, because he's obviously just kind of losing it at the idea (which he's beginning to accept) that he's the dragon, and also the fact he can channel, and also the fact that he's traveling solo cross country for however many hundreds of miles and every other night is having insane hell demons or devil-worshippers trying to kill him. Oh and he still can't ward his dreams right so when he actually does sleep his dreams are 100% horrorshow.

It has nothing to do with taint madness. It's just that this kid is living in a total nightmare. Unsurprisingly, once he's in a situation (after he - spoilers - takes the Stone) where his day to day existence is less stressful, insane and hosed up (in material ways at least... living in a palace suite and having guards, having your friends around and Elayne jumping your bones every five minutes) - he is a lot more stable at that point. Until insane poo poo happens again (assault on the stone) at which point he reacts in outlandish ways again (dead girl resurrection attempt) because there is a limit to what a human can cope with.

tl;dr mental health isn't a linear progression usually, it varies.
I reckon the actual power madness comes later. Though I could be forgetting earlier hints.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

El Grillo posted:

I've seen this take a few times. I never really got that sense, because he's obviously just kind of losing it at the idea (which he's beginning to accept) that he's the dragon, and also the fact he can channel, and also the fact that he's traveling solo cross country for however many hundreds of miles and every other night is having insane hell demons or devil-worshippers trying to kill him. Oh and he still can't ward his dreams right so when he actually does sleep his dreams are 100% horrorshow.

It has nothing to do with taint madness. It's just that this kid is living in a total nightmare. Unsurprisingly, once he's in a situation (after he - spoilers - takes the Stone) where his day to day existence is less stressful, insane and hosed up (in material ways at least... living in a palace suite and having guards, having your friends around and Elayne jumping your bones every five minutes) - he is a lot more stable at that point. Until insane poo poo happens again (assault on the stone) at which point he reacts in outlandish ways again (dead girl resurrection attempt) because there is a limit to what a human can cope with.

I reckon the actual power madness comes later. Though I could be forgetting earlier hints.

He's definitely losing it then, but I think that's just "normal" sleep deprivation and being chased by the personification of the devil* and his servants

*yes I know but Rand didn't at that point

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

El Grillo posted:

Yeah, this comes up again in Path of Daggers, during Rand's campaign against the Seanchan. The only person he can trust with him is Bashere, and otherwise he's surrounded by the worst pieces of poo poo he could find - intentionally, since he doesn't mind them being in danger. None of the people he likes and trusts with his emotions are there. As a result, he acts pretty goddamn crazy, paranoid, arrogant, and even cruel.

At this point it probably is partially saidin madness too, but I still think the hosed up environment he puts himself in is a bigger reason. Also I always thought the biggest manifestations of Taint Crazy for Rand was his inability to hurt women, and nausea when seizing saidin.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Shageletic posted:

he was a vietnam vet who got a bit orientalist there

eg. the series is named wot

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

El Grillo posted:

The more generally accepted explanation is that Jordan made Rand go mad too fast for a 13-book series but at just the right speed for a trilogy, so he backtracked on it. You know, the same way he began resurrecting the Forsaken when it became clear to him that he'd killed them off at the right speed for a trilogy but too fast for the series he was now writing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

El Grillo posted:

You know, I really like this. One of the great understated themes of the book is the lack of awareness or willingness of its characters to deal with the vast amount of trauma they deal with. Ascribing saiden madness to what really is PTSD or something akin to it which is affected by their environment is a modern realistic take on mental issues, and definitely one of the things that make this series great to read even now.

You get a noprize, for an explanation not embedded in the text that still makes it work better.

Anyways, there are some hints towards saidin madness though. I can't think of anything g right now but one thing I've noticed is a couple of instances of Rand's inner monologue being not too far off from the Lew Therin crying yelling schtick.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm trying to pay closer attention to the madness stuff this time through but I'm not anywhere near that back-half stuff yet — but if I'm remembering my first time through correctly, it seemed like all the talk of "madness" was being presented as just other people not understanding Rand's PTSD and head-Lews stuff, which was distinctly different from what LTT and friends experienced in their day.

I kept expecting the story to reveal that the "madness" was not a real thing at all, at least for Rand, and Rand was completely unaffected by whatever had driven LTT mad, it was all just the past-life presence and schizophrenia that was making Rand do wacky stuff. Rand being terrified of going mad as far back as book 1 seemed to be a clear signal that he wasn't actually going to be going down such a prescribed path at all, and it was going to be something else, something completely unrelated but easily misinterpreted by others as "madness". But then we get that thing with Nynaeve doing brain surgery on him and finding that he had a shiny crown of thorns protecting him from the madness, and I was like ... hm, okay

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I definitely feel like the book 3 'madness' is just stress and trauma, versus the point in the later books where he starts hearing voices in his head and then having that voice start to take over at times, and then Cadsuane revealing (with no basis that I can remember) that that's actually a real past person in his head (or something like that?)

But yeah I cannot remember this stuff well enough to figure whether there were Saidin-madness hints in book 3

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Didn't it end up with Rand's particular form of saidin madness was the LTT voice, which pulled on past life memories he had as the Dragon Reborn. Like if Mat's battle memories were mumbled by a distinct dead gambling general in his head, and therefore it loving him way more than how to went?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Didn't it end up with Rand's particular form of saidin madness was the LTT voice, which pulled on past life memories he had as the Dragon Reborn. Like if Mat's battle memories were mumbled by a distinct dead gambling general in his head, and therefore it loving him way more than how to went?

The source for that is a forsaken. We don't see any other male channelers communicating with their past lives for real

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Data Graham posted:

But then we get that thing with Nynaeve doing brain surgery on him and finding that he had a shiny crown of thorns protecting him from the madness, and I was like ... hm, okay

It's basically BS wasn't buying what RJ was selling

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
We suspected but now it’s confirmed

https://twitter.com/wottvseries/status/1671719730460209154?s=46

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cadsuane knew men who were going mad often heard voices, not that it was a "real person." The madness effected everyone differently, and not everyone made it a point where it was a distinct identifiable person in their head. It could have been that Rand was the only one who made it that far.

Him solving his own madness and just being at peace with himself could have been a Sanderson add on. There are alot of Sanderson additions in the last few books that were "that thing we know works doesn't work on this person because.... their willpower is too strong!". Which is... whatever, he ended the books.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I knew it since the reddit leaks of last year :parrot:

I feel like this is a snafu on the agencies part and the show must have been planning a reveal at SDCC or something. Maybe that's why they pushed the CV update. We'll see :shrug:

EDIT: Yup, was deffo a mistake and they reverted it already, from the wotseries discord:

Hexel fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 22, 2023

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Fanart popping up already

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

She's very pretty. Now let's see if she can depict the lady who took a breakup so badly that she Event Horizoned the entire world just to get her ex to notice her.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A lady who disguises herself as slightly younger and less hot

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Lanfear has the same skill at disguise as Team Rocket, whereas Rand has the same ability to see through those disguises as Ash & Co, which is to say, literally none.

When reading TGH for the first time I immediately pegged Selene for Lanfear the moment she showed up, even though Lanfear had never really been identified. This made several scenes that followed extremely creepy and unsettling.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Show haters on twitter losing their poo poo because omg she's not the hottest woman on the planet :ohdear:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mad Hamish posted:

Lanfear has the same skill at disguise as Team Rocket, whereas Rand has the same ability to see through those disguises as Ash & Co, which is to say, literally none.

When reading TGH for the first time I immediately pegged Selene for Lanfear the moment she showed up, even though Lanfear had never really been identified. This made several scenes that followed extremely creepy and unsettling.

That's the joy of the Selene scenes: screaming at Rand to stop thinking with his dick for ten seconds, and knowing he cannot and would not hear you

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I had to laugh at an antique shop yesterday when my nephew pointed out, "Hey, look, a Mercedes logo."

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Can't wait to see Lanfear

blowing up the foregate

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Looks like cast interviews are beginning. Here’s to hoping the S2 promo begins in earnest as well.

https://twitter.com/owendanoff/status/1671302553164824576?s=46&t=FuVqINhLr5iT6f4jGf4sZg

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Hexel posted:

Looks like cast interviews are beginning. Here’s to hoping the S2 promo begins in earnest as well.

https://twitter.com/owendanoff/status/1671302553164824576?s=46&t=FuVqINhLr5iT6f4jGf4sZg

lmao

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hexel posted:

Show haters on twitter losing their poo poo because omg she's not the hottest woman on the planet :ohdear:

Speak for yourself, she's gorgeous

I just hope she can carry off crazy well, but like scary crazy not funny-sad crazy

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Speak for yourself, she's gorgeous

I just hope she can carry off crazy well, but like scary crazy not funny-sad crazy

There can be a range!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Faile really is a fun character in Dragon Reborn. She's like a different person to what she becomes in the latter half of the series.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Shageletic posted:

Faile really is a fun character in Dragon Reborn. She's like a different person to what she becomes in the latter half of the series.

Honestly Faile herself has never been the issue, even in the 'bad' books I honestly think she has good POV chapters. Her kidnapping just drags out too long.

She gets dragged down mostly by Perrin constantly moping about her and getting more POV

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Faile/Perrin is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of “long plots that could have been avoided or resolved quickly with open communication”, especially since the characters have every reason to be honest with each other.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Faile is a brat and Perrin is a prude. It's a comedy setup played dry and straight. Faile was also at her strongest when she was doing her own poo poo. She co-opted some culturally appropriating idiots and turned them into a spy ring, which was cool, she also got the horn to where it needed to be, through the blight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This second read-through it's interesting and helpful to be able to have an idea of the real-world analogs that RJ is alluding to with his various fictional cultural cues. The first time through all the costuming details and synthetic vocabulary all just kind of washed over me, but now I can tell what he's apparently intending to suggest and my brain can make the necessary substitutions. So for "thief-catcher" I can read "detective" (not quite "bounty hunter", as that implies an extralegal aspect that isn't present in the Sandar/Tear dynamic), and for "Red Shields" I can think "cops". Not to mention of course that the Aiel are just ninjas and ninjas were very much in in the 90s