Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
it’s all very weird

love me some lived experience critique but these are the whitest kids we know writing this rubbish

(anyway buzzing with the demo and on my countdown, please come tomorrow 🙏)

Crystal Thenis fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

The Polygon article where they’re shocked Clive has to learn slavery is bad instead of coming out of his not at all terrible mother’s womb with the inherent knowledge is pretty cringe too
the only thing you need to know about gita jackson is that when kotaku published a sexual assault victim's name without permission she went 'we cant retract this, or else gamergate will win'

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Everyone being white has always been an issue with Final Fantasy. I wouldn't single this one out tbh but I do think it's worth mentioning. And of course this is CBU 3 who are great but also keep making Y'stola a lighter shade of white every time they update her model

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there no way to increase the font size on the menus/tutorial tips short of buying a bigger monitor, because gently caress these letters are tiny

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

concerns about the story pre-launch have ended up being a non-issue. If game journalists took issue with it anyways, its because they just wanted to be annoyed by something and get clickbait, not because any of them actually care.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

the only thing you need to know about gita jackson is that when kotaku published a sexual assault victim's name without permission she went 'we cant retract this, or else gamergate will win'

I think "no way straight men are attracted to bayonetta" is also something that's good to know (funny) about her

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah 'i wish the cast was more diverse' is a totally fair critique but like. there are darker skinned people in the game. you see them. plenty of rl middle eastern people have hugo's skintone and hes from a country obviously inspired by the middle east. its weird how multiple articles directly point him out but then act like hes the whitest man theyve ever seen.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I hope that anyone who posts spoiler bars without any context to what is behind spoiler bars has Ifrit smash them into a fine paste.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I hope that anyone who posts spoiler bars without any context to what is behind spoiler bars has Ifrit smash them into a fine paste.

Can I just have this done anyways?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Endorph posted:

From everything I've seen of Gita Jackson, it feels like she is a little too terminally online. And she can be a bit flippant towards any criticism. It also sucks though that since she's black and a woman, she'll be receiving endless hate spewed her way by the worlds worst people.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

rkd_ posted:

I also switched to English but mostly because the lip movement not matching was more jarring than I expected and it also seems the game was made for the English VA.

FYI the game was absolutely made for the English VA. The director stated this. Also the english voice acting is excellent.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The everyone is white thing was a fairly reasonable critique and the response from YoshiP was admittedly poor. It's particularly odd because FFXIV has plenty of dark skinned people.

The whole thing about "Clive didn't know slavery is bad and that's terrible" thing is bizarre though. Yes he grows up as a hugely privileged lord who doesn't really question the inherent unfairness of the system he lives in, and then his main early arc is being tossed into the dirt and having to reckon with it all firsthand. That's a fairly interesting arc in my book.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think trying to pretend that people don't have to deal with the ingrained prejudices of where they were raised is weird because like... a lot of real world prejudice is built around things you take for granted.

Like poo poo a significant amount of people are AOK with modern prison systems because they are what they are taught to expect.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 22, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

For me, the most baffling thing about some of reviews are the reviewers that are like "This game isn't a party/turn-based game. Minus 2 stars."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people are just really bad at viewing things in context anymore, at least when it comes to social justice related stuff. the stupidest by far ive seen is when great ace attorney got translated and the game - which takes place in 1899 - depicts the british being racist to the japanese. not even super harshly, just dismissive and condescending. multiple sites were confused by this and wondered why it was in the game, acted like it was some kind of mistake, and i absolutely saw at least one site call capcom racist. against the japanese. brilliant.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

people are just really bad at viewing things in context anymore, at least when it comes to social justice related stuff. the stupidest by far ive seen is when great ace attorney got translated and the game - which takes place in 1899 - depicts the british being racist to the japanese. not even super harshly, just dismissive and condescending. multiple sites were confused by this and wondered why it was in the game, acted like it was some kind of mistake, and i absolutely saw at least one site call capcom racist. against the japanese. brilliant.

And just at setting aside their personal desires/expectations.

For example - I don't like Breath of the Wild. I like the more traditional style Zelda games. I've twice sunk countless hours into BotW and never could muster enough motivation to beat it. I love the shrines, but found every other aspect of playing the game to be a chore. That doesn't make the game bad though. The game isn't trying to be the same thing as classic Zelda games. If I review it by trying to force it into that mold, I'm not reviewing it for what it is.

To me, BotW is a 2/10 game. If I were to review BotW, it would be a 9/10 because it is very good at what it is trying to be.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
i wonder if SE made a deliberate calculation to avoid having dark skinned people in a game that deals with slavery because i'm not sure there's a reality where they could handle that tactfully

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I wish there were more accessory slots. Yoshi P wears like 12 rings

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

And just at setting aside their personal desires/expectations.

For example - I don't like Breath of the Wild. I like the more traditional style Zelda games. I've twice sunk countless hours into BotW and never could muster enough motivation to beat it. I love the shrines, but found every other aspect of playing the game to be a chore. That doesn't make the game bad though. The game isn't trying to be the same thing as classic Zelda games. If I review it by trying to force it into that mold, I'm not reviewing it for what it is.

To me, BotW is a 2/10 game. If I were to review BotW, it would be a 9/10 because it is very good at what it is trying to be.

id give botw a 7/10, objectively. scared?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

id give botw a 7/10, objectively. scared?

Quaking in my boots.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you can justify the score well enough through your writing there's nothing wrong with giving even BOTW a "bad" one.

Unfortunately, I don't think Jackson has done a very good job of justifying their opinion.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

I wish there were more accessory slots. Yoshi P wears like 12 rings

Several people have pointed out that having accessibility options as equipable accessories is unfortunate when

1. It means if you want to use accessibility features you're locked out of using other accessories (like pre order bonuses)

2. You can't actually use all the accessibility features because you can only use 3/5 (although the dodge rings are mutually exclusive so it's more like 3/4)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean if youre using all 3 slots for the accessibility rings why would you want or need other accessories. is +5% fire damage worthwhile when youre automatically dodging and countering everything

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest my ideal would be one slot per Eikon skill equipped and the help stuff being a menu thing instead of an accessory

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

If you have the auto evade ring you also don't need the auto heal ring, no? Since you'll never take damage.

I don't think it's a huge issue since these acessoires are strictly better than the small bonuses you get from other items. If you have them equipped you don't need normal acessoires.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s no option to change the button mashing into a hold or turn off the haptics so accessibility clearly wasn’t really on their mind

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you try to put on another accessory while using the accessibility items the game pauses and says "how about you access some bitches", and thats not ok

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

There’s no option to change the button mashing into a hold or turn off the haptics so accessibility clearly wasn’t really on their mind

Yeah not going to lie the inability to turn off haptics suuuucks

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah they didn't think of them as accessibility options, they designed them as difficulty adjustments.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah they didn't think of them as accessibility options, they designed them as difficulty adjustments.

No! No! We can't do this again!!!

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

abort abort

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Oh dear sorry I've gone and started some nonsense haven't I

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Hey isn't Torgal a good boy???

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Final

Fantasy

XVI

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

My first playthrough was 55 hours for an "All marks and sidequests" playthrough.

After spending like 200 hours on Tears of the Kingdom, this is welcome news lol

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah not going to lie the inability to turn off haptics suuuucks

Look if people wanted to access every bit of game content then they should've not been disabled. Git gud n00bs, respect the designers artistic vision to exclude people. Disabled folks aren't really people anyway. :smuggo:

Crystal Thenis posted:

(Ethics in my Gaming Journalism? It's more likely than you may think!)

Dropping my sarcasm: this post is thiiiiiiiis close 🤏🏻 to gamergate nonsense, like to the point I almost responded "SYQ". Gross.

HD DAD posted:

Final

Fantasy

XVI

Controversial!

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 22, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hate Gamer Gate

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest my ideal would be one slot per Eikon skill equipped and the help stuff being a menu thing instead of an accessory

IMO Torgal controls should have been something that is just "on" by default, with "manually control Torgal" being some extra challenge option.

He's a smart dog, he can handle himself!

Mainwaring posted:

The everyone is white thing was a fairly reasonable critique and the response from YoshiP was admittedly poor. It's particularly odd because FFXIV has plenty of dark skinned people.

Hugo is a POC :colbert:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Agents are GO! posted:

Look if people wanted to access every bit of game content then they should've not been disabled. Git gud n00bs, respect the designers artistic vision to exclude people. Disabled folks aren't really people anyway. :smuggo:

excuse me sir are you lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Augus posted:

excuse me sir are you lost

Yes there's a sidequest to find me. (That was just a summarization of the anti-accessibilty arguments that came up in the main FF thread a little while ago.)