Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Lockback posted:

Smart should just slather his hair in BBQ sauce, or dye in the image of Tony Allen riding that bike around Memphis.

One of the rawest photos in Memphis hoops history

Why can’t I paste directly from my camera roll anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

morestuff posted:

One of the biggest reasons I want Charlotte to take Scoot (aside from the obvious) is that it feels like there'd be a decent market for Rozier right now. Maybe they do that regardless and roll with a Brandon Miller / Cody Martin / Bouknight / McGowens / FA / draft platoon at wing but whatever
For one glorious and utterly surreal moment I read this as a proposed starting lineup

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Panzeh posted:

I thought Smart was sporadic but a pretty good playmaker and defender in the starting lineup but this was a good trade anyway.

The iterations of the Celtics with feature point guards(who have been weak defenders) were less successful in the playoffs.

I mean, for Memphis, he's absolutely an upgrade over Dillon Brooks, who shoots worse than Russ but keeps on takin' em.

Marcus Smart is not a great answer to "not one of the better shooters but isn't willing to stop shooting" - that was one of his biggest problems in Boston.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Marcus Smart is basically just a less cringe Dillon Brooks.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ianbegley/status/1671901764424024064?s=46

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Listening to more local PDX reports, the Blazers have completely shut down teams calling about Dame. Haynes reported Dame and Scoot have been communicating back and forth.

But even local reporters have very little confidence in the ultimate outcome. They expectation is they use the third pick.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Fischer has some on that in his new round-up:

quote:

For all the mounting noise about Paul George’s trade candidacy in Los Angeles, don’t expect the Clippers to part with the eight-time All-Star. Portland has indeed registered interest in creating a package around the No. 3 pick for George, sources said, but those talks did not gain any traction with Los Angeles. There has certainly been talk of New York’s interest in acquiring George should the Clippers truly make him available, but Los Angeles has the intention to continue bolstering its roster around George and Kawhi Leonard — as evidenced by the team’s attempt to bring Brogdon into the fold.

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/1671897208827052033?s=20

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mean Baby posted:

Listening to more local PDX reports, the Blazers have completely shut down teams calling about Dame. Haynes reported Dame and Scoot have been communicating back and forth.

But even local reporters have very little confidence in the ultimate outcome. They expectation is they use the third pick.

Pretty sure the FO is trying to have their cake (draft Scoot) and eat it too (keep Dame). WWDD?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

snyprmag posted:

Considerate of Boston to trade Marcus in the off season so he has time to re-dye his hair.

SportsCenter's on it

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1671737877837824001

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I still remember a weird season in those bygone years where the Celtics were trash headlined by Paul Pierce and he went down with an injury. Tony Allen rallied off like a dozen games of 20+ points on good shooting before injuring himself on a show-off dunk after a whistle.

I might be exaggerating aspect of this but it was imprinted in my teenage brain.

I remember it viscerally. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le8rMnL56w8

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

wedgie deliverer posted:

Marcus Smart is basically just a less cringe Dillon Brooks.
He's a different sort of cringy but the man behind the Cobra Strike is cringe as hell.

Unlike Brooks, he does come in with the credibility to theoretically be a team leader if Memphis decides that maybe Ja shouldn't be it. Tyus and a pair of firsts remains a heavy loving price for Smart.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Now I do think Smart is “good,” but he’s in for a wake up call having to play twice as often against the West Coast guards. And if he’s the sole PG option while Wyclef Ja is Gone Til December, that’s a 5-20 start.

How many guards (or “point guards” to include Luka and LeBron) do you go through in the WC before you find a better one in the East? SGA, Fox, Curry, Dame, Murray, Kyrie, Ant, Book (not counting Ja or course) vs. Brunson, Trae, Jrue, Harden, Garland?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

With Smart gone, the Celtics going to need to get a coach.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Does no one here actually watch the grizzles?

They are a very good team even when Ja isn't playing.

Ja is the potential for their Ceiling, not the player who sets their floor.

The 2 firsts are going to be like pick 25, and 26 or whatever.

I think they are something like 33-17, when forced to play without Ja over the past 2-3 years.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dexo posted:

They are a great team even when Ja isn't playing.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/jasonsquilliams/status/1671739542985125888?s=46

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Dexo posted:

I think they are something like 33-17, when forced to play without Ja over the past 2-3 years.

agreed

also as much as it kills me to say it i'm getting the impression folks are underrating smart. the idea that his absence is just going to free usage for white and that'll be all golden for boston is silly imo

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I feel like people are crazy thinking Brooks and Smart are interchangeable. Smart had a whole four more assists per 36 last year. They are both Not Good shooters but Brooks shoot FIVE more threes per 36 last year. Brooks has one good playoff series, one okay one, and two extremely terrible ones; Smart has played in 108 playoff games and his averages are basically just his regular season career averages. I think he will be pretty good for Memphis! I also think it's a good trade for the Celtics!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

OzFactor posted:

I feel like people are crazy thinking Brooks and Smart are interchangeable. Smart had a whole four more assists per 36 last year. They are both Not Good shooters but Brooks shoot FIVE more threes per 36 last year. Brooks has one good playoff series, one okay one, and two extremely terrible ones; Smart has played in 108 playoff games and his averages are basically just his regular season career averages. I think he will be pretty good for Memphis! I also think it's a good trade for the Celtics!

Danny Deals would never have made that trade tho. Makes u think

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
People are underrating Smart.

Dude was forced to be a PG on a team where the other two best players wanted to do nothing but play "EXPOSE THEM" basketball.

Him as the 2nd guard, on a team with a coherent and consistent offensive design other than "Dear god Tatum please go supernova" should be pretty solid.

Also unlike Brooks, Smart has proven to be playable in the Playoffs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The Maestro posted:

Now I do think Smart is “good,” but he’s in for a wake up call having to play twice as often against the West Coast guards. And if he’s the sole PG option while Wyclef Ja is Gone Til December, that’s a 5-20 start.

How many guards (or “point guards” to include Luka and LeBron) do you go through in the WC before you find a better one in the East? SGA, Fox, Curry, Dame, Murray, Kyrie, Ant, Book (not counting Ja or course) vs. Brunson, Trae, Jrue, Harden, Garland?

lmao mentioning kyrie when he was literally in the east for half the season

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Dexo posted:

Who was their backup PG while Ja was out again?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Did Bane play the 3 much last year? I feel like he's similar to Klay in that they can play the 3, and it is a nice option to have, but you can take more advantage of their size as a 2 next to a small pg.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Tae posted:

lmao mentioning kyrie when he was literally in the east for half the season

Eh that was just so I didn’t put Luka in

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I dont know if the Celtics can win without Smart but I don’t think the Celtics were going to win with him.

Dexo posted:

People are underrating Smart.

Dude was forced to be a PG on a team where the other two best players wanted to do nothing but play "EXPOSE THEM" basketball.

Him as the 2nd guard, on a team with a coherent and consistent offensive design other than "Dear god Tatum please go supernova" should be pretty solid.

Also unlike Brooks, Smart has proven to be playable in the Playoffs.

Also this.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Any offensive possession that ends in Smart trying to score is a bad one and yet you watch him play and you can be sure he doesn’t know that. His defense is fine but it’s not going to move the needle for Memphis.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

Why can’t I paste directly from my camera roll anymore

I've been wondering this as well...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Maestro posted:

I mean I like Tyus but Smart is going to be a bigger positive overall pretty easily.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
It's 100% an overpay for Smart, even if he's a good fit for Memphis.

A trade like this does signal that Memphis is happy with their core. Will be interesting to see if any of their young pieces make the leap and if Adams can stay healthy

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Uhh he turned down $40M. You think he’s getting more than that in FA? That seems wild to me.

Cap is about to go up 12 million bucks to 136. 10 years ago it was 58. 40 million next year would have been a 17 million dollar deal then. He’s a top 5 small forward and an ideal second option next to basically every star in the league, he’ll get that and more I bet.

Dilber posted:

Great now who is going to turn over the ball to the Heat in the playoffs for Boston? Only Jaylen? This is bullshit!

They just traded for Kristaps Porzingis, they won’t have any problem turning the ball over in key situations don’t worry

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Memphis won that trade imo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Maestro posted:

Tyus Jones. Who is a solid mid-tier starter/top end backup guard. Want him on the Bulls.

Roughly the same quality of player that I view Smart as. one better at defense, the other better at shooting, roughly a push at creation for others. Gun to my head I would take Smart over Tyus.

edit: drat missed a chance a a Ja gun joke here and I'm disappointed in myself and my posting more than usual.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 22, 2023

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Best guess:

if Hornets take Miller Blazers keep pick and take Scoot
if Hornets take Scoot Blazers trade the pick w Simons and Nurk in a 3-team deal, probably netting Siakam
Shaedon Sharpe is going nowhere and neither is Dame

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

My bold prediction for tonight is that the Mavs do something dumb

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

My bold prediction is that a player gets taken where we go 'who? X was available at the same position!' and it turns out we were extremely wrong.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

rivetz posted:

Best guess:

if Hornets take Miller Blazers keep pick and take Scoot
if Hornets take Scoot Blazers trade the pick w Simons and Nurk in a 3-team deal, probably netting Siakam
Shaedon Sharpe is going nowhere and neither is Dame

God I hope Portland doesn't overpay like that for Siakam.

If Portland is keeping the pick I want Miller, he's much more likely to be an instant contributor

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Lakers/Pacers/Turner/Hield are back in the rotation of daily Pacers rumors updates. On that front:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1671923839750610944

The cash amount is 4.3mil apparently.

Just do a little trade to warm up for the big one.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Lockback posted:

I mean I like Tyus but Smart is going to be a bigger positive overall pretty easily.

Smart is about to be the primary and only ball handler for 25 games. Smart is certainly an upgrade over Tyus and Brooks, but that is going to be some ugly basketball. He’s a great fit next to Ja, but he’ll be playing the 3 in lineups with Bane. And if it’s not Bane, it’s the Nard Dog.

Dexo posted:

Tyus Jones. Who is a solid mid-tier starter/top end backup guard. Want him on the Bulls.

Roughly the same quality of player that I view Smart as. one better at defense, the other better at shooting, roughly a push at creation for others. Gun to my head I would take Smart over Tyus.

edit: drat missed a chance a a Ja gun joke here and I'm disappointed in myself and my posting more than usual.

Right, and Tyus is not on Memphis any more.
Here’s a little nugget to chew on: why did the Celtics keep trying to find a point guard for the last 6 years if they already had Smart?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait, did they remove the cash limit for buying draft picks in the new CBA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Maestro posted:

Smart is about to be the primary and only ball handler for 25 games. Smart is certainly an upgrade over Tyus and Brooks, but that is going to be some ugly basketball. He’s a great fit next to Ja, but he’ll be playing the 3 in lineups with Bane. And if it’s not Bane, it’s the Nard Dog.

Right, and Tyus is not on Memphis any more.
Here’s a little nugget to chew on: why did the Celtics keep trying to find a point guard for the last 6 years if they already had Smart?

If I'm the Grizz I'd be WAY more concerned about the playoffs than I would be about the first 25 games.

Grizz won a lot of regular season games last year and it didn't mean much.