Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

ProperCoochie posted:

They all exploded to jelly in 2% of the time it takes your brain to begin taking a breathe. Nobody drowned lol the pressure is other-worldly. The bodies were atomized in milliseconds

We should really start looking into how we can liquefy more billionaiures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EFF3BmxEq0

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

I guess they couldn't handle the pressure after all.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

ThinkTank posted:

3pm EST / 12PM PST

loving coastal elites, 1pm MST

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

ThinkTank posted:

3pm EST / 12PM PST

Noice. Thanks

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Windows 98 posted:

Elon is gonna pull a Rush and get into his own death trap exploration vessel at some point.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
But what if the debris field is from the ROV that they said got destroyed looking for it?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

This is the face of a man who has just violently poo poo his pants and is playing it off like he didn’t, but the smell is wafting up to his nose and he can’t hide it for much longer.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

feverish and oversexed posted:

I have no idea how it works, but I am assuming it takes longer than a business day or two? maybe?
Oh sure. Six months is a whole bunch shorter than twenty years though.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Is there a good reason they didn’t put this thing on a tether?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

3pm EST / 12PM PST

EDT and PDT :redass:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ars Arcanum posted:

But what if the debris field is from the ROV that they said got destroyed looking for it?

I'm gonna guess they're not waiting three hours to say that. They're allowing lots of time to let the world's press gather. I imagine this will be the official announcement of the loss of the sub.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Ars Arcanum posted:

How much apple sauce is on the debris

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Windows 98 posted:

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

I haven't read most of the thread, but that monitor in the left side of the picture; is that a screen saver of Victorian dress?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Oh no I'm not learning a new thing

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Not disruptive enough

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
That submarine said

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

The weight and drag from the tether makes this kind of solution unworkable

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Lusty Grundles posted:

Oh sure. Six months is a whole bunch shorter than twenty years though.

I wonder if we'll see any of the inheritors do crazy poo poo in a spiral

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Also the acrylic front window is a truncated cone shape, fitted into a recess of the same shape in the titanium done.
Outside pressure will naturally just squeeze the acrylic into a really tight fit, solid principle used in many other deep sea vessels.
But the window was only rated for something like a kilometer and a half? Like less than half of the depth of the Titanic? I suppose it could have cracked and cracked again in a split second, becoming a 6000 PSI torrent of acrylic shards and seawater. But I think the carbon fiber hull just insta-failing is still more probable.
I'm putting my money on the hull failing at the joint with the window. I kind of doubt they thought about things like stress risers or different materials having different Young's moduli.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 22, 2023

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If I recall correctly, the ceo said the window would compress down to either a 3/4 of an inch or to three inches, I forget what he said on video. Either way, not great. Even the challenger, which went to 35k feet, shrunk a little due to pressure. They had to use a special kind of foam with glass beads for the hull, because steel deforms and even titanium itself does. You need to make a titanium graphite alloy to overcome that, and it seems like it was just titanium

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ThinkTank posted:

3pm EST / 12PM PST

I think it's EDT right now but yes. I don't remember if PT is weird in that some places use PST and some PDT.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

It being a debris field and not the intact sub all but confirms implosion I feel. Either the window buckled and shot through the sub or the carbon fibre hull shattered. It's probably the two titanium ends with a bunch of shards of carbon fibre and some well fed crabs.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Droogie posted:

loving coastal elites, 1pm MST

FST

Flyover standard time

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Conference is 2.5hrs from this post if that helps anyone.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Droogie posted:

I'm feeling hyper fixated on this stupid torque wrench. When I use one that is similar if not the same, I never trust the drat thing. It clicks and I always feel like... really? That was x amount of foot-pounds? And have to check it 2 or 3 times. And this is on my old rear end S10. The windows don't roll up but I feel like it's more sea-worthy than the TITAN

Was it a Proto brand torque wrench? I used to dozens of those for the Air Force and I generally trusted them to be reliable. If it was an Armstrong or god forbid a Matco wrench all bets are off

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

ThinkTank posted:

I'm gonna guess they're not waiting three hours to say that. They're allowing lots of time to let the world's press gather. I imagine this will be the official announcement of the loss of the sub.

Yeah, I wasn’t being entirely serious.

I wonder what happened; I guess “totally imploded near the bottom,” and “got stuck on Titanic itself and suffocated,” and “made it to surface but suffocated because no one found them” are mostly out.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mods, requesting name change to soup-like homogenate, tia

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Hotel Kpro posted:

Was it a Proto brand torque wrench? I used to dozens of those for the Air Force and I generally trusted them to be reliable. If it was an Armstrong or god forbid a Matco wrench all bets are off

Harbor Freight

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

:vince:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Also there were just one rubber seal on the front with like 10 quarter inch bolts holding it down lol

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
How did this loving sub survive multiple journeys down before this, honestly amazed.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Grey Cat posted:

Conference is 2.5hrs from this post if that helps anyone.

Mods plz add 2.5 hours

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm happy for the crabs.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
People kept saying an implosion would be picked up by acoustic buoys. Did they overestimate the noise level or sensitivity of the equipment?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If I recall correctly, the ceo said the window would compress down to either a 3/4 of an inch or to three inches, I forget what he said on video. Either way, not great. Even the challenger, which went to 35k feet, shrunk a little due to pressure. They had to use a special kind of foam with glass beads for the hull, because steel deforms and even titanium itself does. You need to make a titanium graphite alloy to overcome that, and it seems like it was just titanium

Too much work. Be cheaper innovative!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

How did this loving sub survive multiple journeys down before this, honestly amazed.

It hasn't, they've needed to replace everything about it as it's been used, including rebuilding the hull within the last year or two.