Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

That DICK! posted:

its freaking stand by me. the game starts with freaking stand by me. its 4 dudes going to see a dead body but the fat one is jacked

XV is only good for one playthrough, but the payoff was pretty good for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i really enjoyed it during the aforementioned Boys Bein Dudes phase of the game

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Give the next FF to Kojima.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Paladinus posted:

This.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
at least one of the Pokemon games starts with Stand by Me on the TV for some reason, which is apparently also in the JP script

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
stephen king is canon and exists in the pokemon universe

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Main character is a 15 year old orphan modeled after and VA'd by Matthew McConaughey

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

at least one of the Pokemon games starts with Stand by Me on the TV for some reason, which is apparently also in the JP script

Fun, This was just posted about in the video game urban legends thread

rivid posted:

Finally, I have this fan theory I've wanted to write about more in depth for a while which is that you can draw a straight line from Stephen King through Earthbound to Pokemon. Japanese people love coming of age stories (Tomato had/has a Legends of Localization article on this) and there are direct references to Stand By Me in Mother and right at the beginning of Pokemon.

I think a lot of the PSI stuff in the mother series came from books like The Shining. It was brought up on page 88 of this thread but the final boss of Mother, Giegue was a boiler-plate for Mewtwo. Like Mewtwo, Giegue was psychic. The background is that Giegue was alien raised from infancy by the main character's grandparents. The grandfather stole the secrets of PSI, the two parents were returned to Earth, and Giegue returns to destroy earth as the big bad guy at the end of the game. The only big difference made was that Mewtwo was made in a lab from Mew's DNA. But I'm willing to bet somewhere there was early concept art of Giegue as a baby that probably looks a lot like what eventually became Mew. The plot to Mother 2 is basically the same as the first game but one of the changes made is that the big bad guy goes by the same name (the change to Giygas in the English version is likely due to different localizers) but this time is instead just the generalized embodiment of evil that you have to go back in time to destroy. Mother 2 / Earthbound came out a year or two before the first Pokemon games so it would have been know that the Giegue idea and design could be repurposed for something else.

Every once in a while I google to see if the series creator mentions Stephen King at all. Coming back to the thread today meant that I thought to do that. Sure enough:
https://twitter.com/MotherForever_/status/1629542152442085376
"In a new interview, Itoi says that Peter Straub and Stephen King's "The Talisman" was a big influence on the first MOTHER.
The Flying Men were even inspired by the character Wolf from the book!"

But it looks like the article itself is currently throwing a 403 when I try to access it.

I also am now thinking that Ness' neighbor at the beginning of the game who is compelled to tunnel under his house for the Mani statue is a lot like The Tommyknockers.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

but yall complain when persona 5 does it huh

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Wasn't ff7 done in like two weeks or some poo poo
FF7 was done by another guy (Woolsey had left by this point), with very little support from the development team, and everything had to be written in Shift-JIS encoding so spellcheckers didn't work. It's a miracle that it was even vaguely coherent. Exact same situation (and guy, even) with FF Tactics.

After FF7 was a huge success, Square actually started caring about doing localization stuff properly - developer support, better tooling, proper editorial infrastructure, story bibles and glossaries etc... - but it took a while for that initiative to spin up and they didn't really get their feet under them properly until like Chrono Cross and FF9, IIRC.

1up.com used to have an interview with the guy who helped get that stuff kicked off, Richard Honeywood IIRC, but you'll have to use the Wayback Machine to dig it up because 1up's been dead for like over a decade now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Cid invents a giant nuclear-capable robot that you use exactly once in the game to get past a mountain range.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Cid invents a giant nuclear-capable robot that you use exactly once in the game to get past a mountain range.
to be entirely fair, mountains are very big

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Paladinus posted:

Give the next FF back to Sakaguchi.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

final fantasy 15 is the most high profile tekken spinoff in history

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

NOCTIS LUCIS CAELUM

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Stux posted:

but yall complain when persona 5 does it huh

hmm. this is a good point. I've definitely bitched about P5 not delivering on its themes before

much to consider

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Grassy Knowles posted:

I definitely read all this

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

jason schreier is easily one of the dumbest assholes who writes about videogames, which says a lot given the competition, but he gets basically no flak cuz the other kind of article he writes is "man labor conditions in videogames arent good guys" and people find this extremely valuable

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Games can make the magical non-sense to directly deal with the themes established in the earlier bits of the story, like FF8 and FF9. But it is Jason Schreier so it's possible he's be dumb like the people who think Necron is a bad final boss.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

jason schreier is easily one of the dumbest assholes who writes about videogames, which says a lot given the competition, but he gets basically no flak cuz the other kind of article he writes is "man labor conditions in videogames arent good guys" and people find this extremely valuable

all gaming journalists should be refused service at grocery stores, hospitals and banks until they stop being gaming journalists imo

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
despicable industry

Five ways the new Mario title might upset this election season

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
it was neat when it was all in magazines and not online tho. i loved to get demo disks so fuckig much lol

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

If magical nonsense is bad how come all the FFs are good?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

FirstnameLastname posted:

it was neat when it was all in magazines and not online tho. i loved to get demo disks so fuckig much lol
Music magazines too. Get some Playstation games and European metal to try out. :krad:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
CD Gamer was the poo poo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just play something with a good story like call of duty or uncharted.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Just play something with a good story like call of duty or uncharted.

How bout a game that has no need for story? Been playing the hell out of wingspan lately, and just discovered touch controls work on the switch version. Chill in the armchair, crank the volume, and see how long it takes a cat to come check it out.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Gamepro had this huge multi-page strategy guide pull-out for FF6 that I got as a kid and I memorized that whole loving thing months before I ever played the game. It ruled

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

all gaming journalists should be refused service at grocery stores, hospitals and banks until they stop being gaming journalists imo

whoever it was in this thread who noted it’s extremely weird and hosed up the gaming news reporters and the game reviewers are the same thing made me realize how dumb this poo poo is

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Lady Radia posted:

whoever it was in this thread who noted it’s extremely weird and hosed up the gaming news reporters and the game reviewers are the same thing made me realize how dumb this poo poo is

industry journalism has been dying a death in recent years and games journalism was already the bottom of the barrel.

the only other industry that is this bad though is ironically pro wrestling lmfao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I won't play ffxvi until it comes out on PC it but it owns

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if you can dodge child support then you can dodge a ball

lol

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
final fantasy ftw

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
:hai:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

tbh i love everything about ff8 except the combat system
:nohai:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

which was designed by deranged people
:hai:

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Lady Radia posted:

I’ve never actually seen Jason Schrier even write reviews, maybe he does though? I know he plays games, but even his books are just about working conditions at game studios.

Edit: Also the combat in FF8 rules, but you gotta do some homework to find out how.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
FF8 is the best because as a child I was able to quickly work out how to have completely busted stats and top tier magic by the end of disc 1 and just stroll through the rest of the game. Never beat omega weapon though

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

ItohRespectArmy posted:

industry journalism has been dying a death in recent years and games journalism was already the bottom of the barrel.

the only other industry that is this bad though is ironically pro wrestling lmfao

and not coincidentally has the same problem with the reporters and reviewers often being the same people

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Memorising the inputs and optimal loops for zells limit break and doing a billion damage ftw

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

the sex ghost posted:

Memorising the inputs and optimal loops for zells limit break and doing a billion damage ftw

I always just use Squall for this, maybe another play through is in order.

I love getting a wild HP number at the beginning of the game so you hit critical life status early and then just keep getting limit breaks every turn. Game rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Grassy Knowles posted:

Dude not even realizing Giegue and Giygas are the same character

Scrub-tier Mother analysis