Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Still wanna know what the banging was tho

Maybe it was bumping into the titanic and then popped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A somber lol to maintain outward decorum, followed up by a heartfelt lmao

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

https://www.yachtingmagazine.com/story/yachts/triton-13000-gull-wing-titanic-explorer/

eviltastic posted:

Gull wings yes, doors no. I can't get the website to load now (they may be experiencing a bit more traffic than their wordpress site was intended to handle) but iirc the marketing material said the gull wings are for lighting/camera attachment, helping it glide around without having to engage the thrusters too much, and having some thrusters mounted further from the bottom (and thus further from the sea floor).

I don't remember the spec sheet saying anything about the 'lil arms, but I do remember the controls mentioned "joystick, touch screen, and manual override". So no bluetooth controller for the passenger to play with.

It does look like a proper explorer's vehicle.

https://supremarine.com/post/triton-13000-2-titanic-explorer-submarine

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Wee posted:

Maybe it was bumping into the titanic and then popped

It's likely they got to experience both parts of the outcomes- being trapped and panicked before implosion.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

That DICK! posted:

its wild thinking about being a billionaire and how on the surface you had enough money to buy small countries and build gundams and have sex with 2 chicks at the same time, but for 90 hours until you die you just gotta sit in the fart vapors thinking about how all that money holds no value at the bank of davy jones. this didnt happen, they instantly imploded into nickelodean gak, but its fun to think about

This is why they all do the life extension stuff.

They live their whole lives believing they are truly exceptional and above all the plebs. Then one day, while sipping a scotch on the deck of their yacht, they realize that they are going to die one day, just like that Philippino lady that delivered their drink 10min ago.
In fact, she spends all day on her feet, she might even live longer. But how?? She's poor? I'm above her, shouldn't I be entitled to experience more life than her? I must use my hoarded wealth to live longer.

I know a few rich people through work and friends, and it's hilarious how predictable this stage is. One guy is worth 50+m, the other guy is "only" worth a few million. The second they start nearing 40, with all their other needs met, they start panicking and spending heavily on personal trainers, dieticians, IV infusions of who fuckin knows what.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

That DICK! posted:

one week since ya looked at me

Chickata China my sub starts tickin
Have a million bucks and the brain stops
Kickin

Watching orcas mate with no lights on
Camper world, y'all
I hope I don't die in this one

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Calling bullshit, this had more than a single button

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

skasion posted:

What’d you get op

The ultimate BMT

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
don't make this tourist craft a spectacle, have some respect for the dead

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

This made be :lol: in real life quite a bit.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Shame that we’ll never know what happened in the death tube. Maybe they were all having a great time!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Imagine booking the trip having misread the brochure, and seeing the Titan when you were expecting a Triton

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Titanic the new Everest

naem
May 29, 2011

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Still wanna know what the banging was tho

Depending on where the supposed thumper was located it could have remained intact like on the landing frame or something.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If I recall correctly, the ceo said the window would compress down to either a 3/4 of an inch or to three inches, I forget what he said on video. Either way, not great. Even the challenger, which went to 35k feet, shrunk a little due to pressure. They had to use a special kind of foam with glass beads for the hull, because steel deforms and even titanium itself does. You need to make a titanium graphite alloy to overcome that, and it seems like it was just titanium

It's kinda amusing that it so hard to pin down which of the system failed because pretty much all of were so half-assed that any of them could have failed.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Welp, it's been IMPLOSION

The legend lives on
From the internet on down
Of the deathtrap they call OceanGate

The ocean, they said
Never gives up her dead
And the implosion, it sealed their fate

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i'm guessing that's transparent aluminum from star trek

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Viscous Soda posted:

It's kinda amusing that it so hard to pin down which of the system failed because pretty much all of were so half-assed that any of them could have failed.

Basically, the comic below: but entirely due to human error.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

eviltastic posted:

The company that made those is also marketing a submersible that they call the Titanic Explorer because it can supposedly do that. No apparent public price, unless you count a rando unsourced Daily Mail headline. But presumably it costs less than the one owned by Gabe Newell that's rated for ten thousand feet below the deepest point that exists in the ocean.

Just look at the thing and consider that the billionaires chose the deathtube.

This thing looks like it's from GI JOE. Is something this cool really allowed to exist in our lovely reality?

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

angerbeet posted:

Shame that we’ll never know what happened in the death tube. Maybe they were all having a great time!

The Netflix movie about this will show what could have happened in a Repo Men (2010) type of way, then flashback to reality a split second before the applesauce.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, at least they got the quick death. Suffocating is an rear end way to die.

Wow you're right, that looks terrible

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Spinz posted:

Titanic the new Everest

Go down 3000m, take a right past the chunky salsa tube, when you see the crab orgy you are there.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Here’s an hour and a half of titanic wreckage from an expedition in 2010, seems neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUfWlXLm2GM

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

all of the photos of this thing on the internet are 3d renders so i'd assume this is some vaporware bs

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

TheMightyBoops posted:

Here’s an hour and a half of titanic wreckage from an expedition in 2010, seems neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUfWlXLm2GM

Wait you mean I can just see all this stuff for free ? From the comfort of my own home??

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Another Bill posted:

What’s that gif with the butts against the glass? I think that’s what happened to the submersible

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Bluemillion posted:

This thing looks like it's from GI JOE. Is something this cool really allowed to exist in our lovely reality?

Yep, and yours for only 30 mil!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Another Bill posted:

What, you’ve never eaten rear end before?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:goofy:

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9p8SRmQlPo&t=27s

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The CEO could have made proper explorer subs for a few million more and charged $300,000 a ticket instead of $250,000 and nobody would have cared at that price point.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/richard_littler/status/1671943787835260936

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

theyre currying all this sympathy and interest and landing their stepsons their best shot at having sex & hanging with blink 182 and just you wait, two days from now their families will "find" them "hiding" in their garages. ive never seen a more obvious balloon boying in my loving life

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

guy about to get his rear end sued off says what?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Now that's a submarine for a billionaire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Another Bill posted:

Wait you mean I can just see all this stuff for free ? From the comfort of my own home??

Considering the rate of the Titanic’s deterioration you can’t even see it better in person.