Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

HopperUK posted:

I keep thinking about playing it but haven't. There's a game called Lineage (as well as offshoots, Lord and Reign of the Star Kings) which is entirely about writing the history of a royal house over time that I quite like.

Oh I was looking at the star kings one, but it looks like it is mostly purely narrative?

I've only tried ironsworn and TYOV so far for reference. I am enjoying the "skill/stat" lightness of TYOV in comparison, though I like both systems so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah it's purely narrative but structured enough that I don't start getting mad about how there's no game in it:)

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I'll add it to the rotation as I am really wanting to try some family tree type stuff, tyvm.

Looking to play all the games with mechanics I want and then slap them together for homebrews because you can do that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

feverish and oversexed posted:

I'll add it to the rotation as I am really wanting to try some family tree type stuff, tyvm.

Looking to play all the games with mechanics I want and then slap them together for homebrews because you can do that.

You can! You can use one game to set up another game and then steal a mechanic from a third game! It's totally legal!!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HopperUK posted:

You can! You can use one game to set up another game and then steal a mechanic from a third game! It's totally legal!!

I work for the solo rpg police and this will get you arressted.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
So much easier to cobble some unreasonably complicated bullshit together when you don't have to convince anyone else to use it!

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Ordered Five Leagues from the Borderlands. I'm not nearly so apt with journaling and I've a metric ton of ME:SBG models.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I've spent more time collecting, reading, analyzing, and brainstorming all these rpgs than actually playing them lmao

I bet this is a common problem.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

I've spent more time collecting, reading, analyzing, and brainstorming all these rpgs than actually playing them lmao

I bet this is a common problem.

I love Apothecaria. I regularly pitch it to friends. I have every expansion. I'm active on the Blackwell Games discord where I discuss rules and procedures. I wrote an app to assist gameplay.

I have yet to finish a full game with my character, who I haven't written about in eight months.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
double post somehow

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
^ I think I'm going to have similar problems ^

Xlorp posted:

Ordered Five Leagues from the Borderlands. I'm not nearly so apt with journaling and I've a metric ton of ME:SBG models.

How do you go about playing? moving the characters around, bullet points if you write?

https://wyhgames.itch.io/lineage-epoch-edition

Star Kings already had community copies, I asked the creator to release copies of Lineage and he did, grab y'alls if you ain't yet.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I got a print copy of Lineage even. It's a lovely little book. I kinda dream of buying the print copy of TYOV. Maybe next month.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

How do you go about playing? moving the characters around, bullet points if you write?
Context: Five Leagues

I plan to try this two different ways.
1) rules as written for all aspects. The majority of the procedurally generated events will flash by as speed-read exposition for me. Somewhere in the fighting or post-scuffle results after a few turns I'll get this story hook in my head and then the entire campaign will mentally orbit around that inspiration.
2) replace the combat and equipment and skill progression with the warbands rules from GW's Middle Earth: Strategy Battle Game. At the end I'll have my own 'legendary legion' with history and odd skill sets. That's a lot more fun to throw into a ME:SBG scenario rather than 24 nameless orcs plus two nameless captains, for example. I also really hate min/maxing and it'd be nice to have a group with warts and all. Even if Aragorn pulls out his trusty chainsaw and goes all apeshit leaving no survivors, I'll feel it more in the dice chucking.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Thanks! I bought a copy of Lörd too while I was there.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's good fun. And makes me want to go play Crusader Kings.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
Guys I have two solo ttrpgs I've actually played, 28 more sitting in a folder on my desktop, and I spent hours last night modifying someones one-page rpg into a solo version and it looks great and I haven't played it yet because I'm over here scrolling for more free games

I've known about the genre for like a WEEK oh no

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Friend I have like 15+ including about ten I've paid for and I've played none of them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Collecting games is a hobby adjacent to playing games, don't worry about it, they'll be there when you want them.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

Guys I have two solo ttrpgs I've actually played, 28 more sitting in a folder on my desktop, and I spent hours last night modifying someones one-page rpg into a solo version and it looks great and I haven't played it yet because I'm over here scrolling for more free games

I've known about the genre for like a WEEK oh no

Hey there past self - future us here to tell you not to worry, it's all going to come out okay and you're going to get around to playing at least some of those games. There's no rush - enjoy the hunt while the hunting is good, and this is a weirdly deep rabbit hole. Do get that little bump checked out, though.

I think it's an extremely common experience to do a fair amount of casting around for systems at the start, both because it just feels good to accumulate them and because it's impossible (but fun!) to predict which systems will gel with your brain. If you're someone who has spent a lot of time gaming, you almost HAVE to try out a bunch of different formats to see which ones work for your tastes solo. And when so many of them are free or very, very cheap...AND they sometimes expand into art projects if you feel like it...yeah, just lean into it. Let yourself enjoy things both now and later!

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
haha thank you, I was being tongue in cheek because I hyper focused on the genre so quickly. I'm happy to have found something I find so interesting.

I did manage to get in some gaming today so all is well

I think I'm mostly just amazed I've been adjacent to the genre and never knew how much I would enjoy this. I've considered myself a huge gamer for most of my life and just never really touched the ttrpg genre, crazy.

happy to be here now tho, this is really fun, and the little books are great for when I'm running around doing stuff and still wanna play.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

haha thank you, I was being tongue in cheek because I hyper focused on the genre so quickly. I'm happy to have found something I find so interesting.

I did manage to get in some gaming today so all is well

I think I'm mostly just amazed I've been adjacent to the genre and never knew how much I would enjoy this. I've considered myself a huge gamer for most of my life and just never really touched the ttrpg genre, crazy.

happy to be here now tho, this is really fun, and the little books are great for when I'm running around doing stuff and still wanna play.

I don't know if anyone has suggested this one yet, but looking at your journaling, I think you might enjoy Wreck this Deck, which both involves solo journaling and also marking up a deck of cards. That link is to a current backerkit campaign for a printed version of the game. There used to be a PDF version on itch.io but I don't see it there now, they may have pulled it down while they have the printed version campaign going.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I don't know if anyone has suggested this one yet, but looking at your journaling, I think you might enjoy Wreck this Deck, which both involves solo journaling and also marking up a deck of cards. That link is to a current backerkit campaign for a printed version of the game. There used to be a PDF version on itch.io but I don't see it there now, they may have pulled it down while they have the printed version campaign going.

I did stumble across this one while I was searching for ones that encourage drawing! It's on my short list to try when its available on a website I already have an account on. Trying to put a hardcap on me overspending right now unless I've already enjoyed the game.

I went and bought all the ironsworn physical stuff that's available right now, right before I realized all the other versions of things available. For some reason it didn't occur to me to search for anything beyond that initially. Thankfully I have a friend whos willing to trade it all with me since I've found I enjoy other things a lot more, oops.

So many of these available games the creators have provided free versions of which is so cool tbh.

I definitely want to buy a hardcopy of TYOV after trying it, double so after read the creators website and itch.io page. I never actually got into iron valley yet but I bet that's another one I'm going to fully enjoy... I don't have enough time in my day suddenly haha

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Delve expansion to popular solo RPG Ironsworn is going to be free tomorrow for Free RPG Day. Ironsworn itself is always free.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I got Delve in an itch.io bundle and if you like Ironsworn, it's pretty cool.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Anyone got any recommended android apps for recording audio logs for The Wretched games? Hopefully something with some effects so I can give it that real Doom 3 audio log quality.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I now have budding ideas for a parody roll-and-write/solo journaling game, about playing other journaling games. Might call it You May Cry If You Wish.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

I now have budding ideas for a parody roll-and-write/solo journaling game, about playing other journaling games. Might call it You May Cry If You Wish.

Yes please!!

Rolled a weak hit while browsing itch. Now I paid five bucks for a game that only has two prompt tables, but really nice art.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
You're excited to start a new game. Which of your pristinely beautiful empty journals will you despoil? How long will you play the game before you abandon it and render the remaining blank pages utterly unusable?

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

wizzardstaff posted:

You're excited to start a new game. Which of your pristinely beautiful empty journals will you despoil? How long will you play the game before you abandon it and render the remaining blank pages utterly unusable?

I don't know how I feel so seen when I've just started the genre and technically I haven't abandoned any except the first one

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

wizzardstaff posted:

Do not attack me like this

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
its funny I worry about "what if I run out of space in the notebook and have to split them" when its far more likely I'm gonna be dealing with this ^^

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I have overcome this anxiety by keeping the first few pages for a table of contents so I can be like 'Lineage game 1-3, Apothecaria 4-6, Lineage again 7-11' and then I don't feel bad. Sure you don't get such a nice keepsake afterwards but let's be real I was never gonna do anything serious with them anyway.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Buy a pack of tiny Field Notes or similar.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

wizzardstaff posted:

I use an A5 ring binder specifically because I can’t stand this. On the plus side, it does let me reorganize, have dividers and use different types of paper, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Siivola posted:

Buy a pack of tiny Field Notes or similar.

Sure sure this is a good idea and I’ll do that (again).

But…what about pens?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

wizzardstaff posted:

What I do is look over the blank notebooks I have and then decide that none of them fit the theme I want so I order three more and they come and I select one and do about 2-3 pages and then stop or switch to electronic.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Sure sure this is a good idea and I’ll do that (again).

But…what about pens?

Buddy, if you don't post in the fountain pen thread already, you should check it out

Or definitely, absolutely not check it out... I'm not sure which is the more supportive recommendation here

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

I have giant bridge troll hands and I bought an $8 Jinhao fountain pen on eBay because it had a really wide barrel. Only pen I really love.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I use a Kaweco fountain pen because it feels all fancy but it doesn't dry out if I forget to use it for a week or two. I have old timey looking inks like Oxblood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

HopperUK posted:

I use a Kaweco fountain pen because it feels all fancy but it doesn't dry out if I forget to use it for a week or two. I have old timey looking inks like Oxblood.

Love my clearance Kaweco Perkeo, even though the nib is kinda stiff and scratchy. I also have a Parker Vector, which I like for its slim look and form factor, and an Ohto Celsus which just looks and feels classy as hell. I have some sepia ink cartridges for the Kaweco and the Celsus that I used to make my "character sheet" page for my Iron Valley game, and highlighted it with some tawny colored pencil - so satisfying! I think I've spent more annually at Jetpens than on clothes for about five years running. I should probably check out the fountain pen thread.

(note to all: Jetpens is like a ninja warrior course for impulse control, do not go there if you don't have disposable income to spend on poo poo like high-tech stickers and mechanical pencils that rotate the lead automatically so it's always pointy. It's not that everything is pricey, my Perkeo was $16 and the Vector was $12 on sale years ago - it's more that if you're a certain type of person, you will want to buy absolutely everything they carry. You know who you are)

And I just finally sprung for a few Blackwings after years of dragging my feet. It's ridiculous to spend that much on a pencil but I just wanted to see how different it was. Solo gaming has been a great excuse to use a bunch of stationery items I've been hoarding, and I've tried not to get TOO deep in buying new "equipment". Disregarding the giant pile of PDFs, that is.

As for journals, discbound all the way for me and my adhd. I can keep different games in separate tabbed sections, move poo poo around, add blank pages in wherever I want, or even just take all the pages out if I lose interest. Can just stick them in a file folder in case I ever want to go back and pick up that story again. I've been telling myself that if I'm still doing this in a year, THEN I can buy the $60 custom hole punch and make my own journal pages out of really nice paper.