Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

A man who ignored all safety precautions in the name of innovation

"Welp thems the breaks I guess!" :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

with this debris field news I really hope that no taxpayer money is spent trying to determine why the Titan imploded

let's just lol and move on

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008
When I first heard about this sub, I assumed it was a tragedy. I assumed it was a real deep-sea expedition. Like Robert Ballard and the ALVIN, Jacques Piccard and the Trieste. I assumed the intent was somber anthropology of an awe-inspiring tragedy. I assumed it had basic communication. I assumed it had seating. I assumed it was designed by engineers.

Instead, it's the stupidest, most Elon-Musk-rear end Apple-Store-looking water tube I've ever seen. They even named it "Titan". Might as well name your airplane "Icarus".

And every detail that's come to surface about this "expedition" has me reeling. These people are the least deserving to visit the Titanic. People this rich and stupid can't possibly see the value beyond clout. They really are tourists in the most derogatory way. I can't believe billionaire James Cameron has more respect for the dead.

The wreck is a place I've visited in my dreams and nightmares. It's a massive, once-beautiful, twisted piece of metal, hidden in the darkest depths of the planet. It's a graveyard. And now it's littered with the debris of a Logitech game controller and cheap PC speakers.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/dcmarketeer/status/1671945862405038081

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

all of the photos of this thing on the internet are 3d renders so i'd assume this is some vaporware bs

You could launch them from one of those equally real submersible mega-yachts.

Edit: For those who've never seen them.

https://newatlas.com/marine/u-boat-worx-25-million-dollar-submersible-superyacht/#gallery:1

or

https://www.charterworld.com/news/futuristic-135m-submersible-luxury-yacht-friends

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 22, 2023

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Lol

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lmao

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
why does this feel so good lmao ^

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

:aloom:

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Cuck chair :lol:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I just hope we get pictures of debris.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

all of the photos of this thing on the internet are 3d renders so i'd assume this is some vaporware bs

Seems like it. That company does make some pretty cool submersibles though.

3.3 million and can take you down to 1600 feet. That seems way too deep for a private tech bro sub.
https://www.oceanindependence.com/yachts-for-sale/yacht/triton-submarine-16503lp

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
jesus christ this thread moves faster than the pressure in that submarine

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

But where's the Mad Catz DDR Pad to steer?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Honestly, this was a genius play by the Imposter, he disabled Reactor when he realized there was only one Crew on board and they needed two to reactivate it. Auto-win!

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Windows 98 posted:

Pressure doesn't move

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

Seems like it. That company does make some pretty cool submersibles though.

3.3 million and can take you down to 1600 feet. That seems way too deep for a private tech bro sub.
https://www.oceanindependence.com/yachts-for-sale/yacht/triton-submarine-16503lp

Wasnt that the watercraft they used in the jason statham giant shark movie “the meg” which was absolutely filled with chinese market propaganda

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

TheMightyBoops posted:

Here’s an hour and a half of titanic wreckage from an expedition in 2010, seems neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUfWlXLm2GM

It's pretty jarring to be looking at this footage, seeing familiar parts, like the railing on the bow, the deck fittings etc, and then, out of nowhere, a seemingly perfectly preserved bathtub and its plumbing

It's just so ordinary and familiar, and it's down in the awful dark and silence forever. It's just unnerving.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

"It's too soon" lady they're dead. When is the right time?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
This thing looks like such a piece of poo poo.

https://twitter.com/HowThingsWork_/status/1671869099691974657

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

sweet thursday posted:

Pressure doesn't move

ok mr physics. some of us only have an 8th grade education.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Pookah posted:

It's pretty jarring to be looking at this footage, seeing familiar parts, like the railing on the bow, the deck fittings etc, and then, out of nowhere, a seemingly perfectly preserved bathtub and its plumbing

It's just so ordinary and familiar, and it's down in the awful dark and silence forever. It's just unnerving.

Submechanophobia is a word you might like.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Windows 98 posted:

The pressure was on the outside :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I guess you could say that they were…

:c00l:

Under pressure

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

A man who ignored all safety precautions in the name of innovation

"Welp thems the breaks I guess!" :shrug:

Replace “innovation” with “cutting costs” and the world of the rich makes so much more sense

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Windows 98 posted:

ok mr physics. some of us only have an 8th grade education.
Just had to set the record straight in this, the underwater death tube gbs thread

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Regalingualius posted:

Under pressure

doo doo doo duh duh duuuuh dun

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

FlapYoJacks posted:

The pressure was on the outside :v:

sure didn't stay there

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Everything the dude is saying is in hindsight incredibly funny

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/amstuart1994/status/1671917541831110656?s=20

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Grey Cat posted:

Submechanophobia is a word you might like.

Cheers, that actually kind of covers it :) I don't mind things that belong in the water being there, but seeing nice, normal dry-land objects lost down in the abyssal depths is a new fear (or maybe unheimlich-ness?) for me.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ahahahahahahahsgg

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

:aaaaa:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Pookah posted:

Cheers, that actually kind of covers it :) I don't mind things that belong in the water being there, but seeing nice, normal dry-land objects lost down in the abyssal depths is a new fear (or maybe unheimlich-ness?) for me.

Yeah there's something off about man being where man shouldn't be.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Pookah posted:

Well now the awful ghoulish denizens of the deep can take a nice bath and really luxuriate in the cold depths of the black sunless sea.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
so has Trump shown any response to this?

i bet he's mad no one cares about his trial right now.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/DianneG/status/1671949187364126748

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Did they implode the ship after banging SOS on the walls for four days?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Lol that they’re going to look for the crew capsule. “We’ll, we’re already here and we never get to use these neat ROVs”