Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Did they implode the ship after banging SOS on the walls for four days?

yeah, they pressed UP DOWN UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT A B A B and a single stick of dynamite went off, RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

WHAT

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

The Bananana posted:

Ahahahahahahahsgg

who is in charge here???? discipling is required!!!!! :catstare:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i can't figure out how holding the controller side ways fixes the problem

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

smoobles posted:

with this debris field news I really hope that no taxpayer money is spent trying to determine why the Titan imploded

let's just lol and move on

no, we should make their estates pay to clean it up

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

smoobles posted:

yeah, they pressed UP DOWN UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT A B A B and a single stick of dynamite went off, RIP

Ahh, see, there’s the problem

It was UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT SELECT START

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

it's like that thing in secret of mana where you get confused and have to hold the controller upside down

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rgb8UCU7e8

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

hemale in pain posted:

Motion controls

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

eviltastic posted:

The company that made those is also marketing a submersible that they call the Titanic Explorer because it can supposedly do that. No apparent public price, unless you count a rando unsourced Daily Mail headline. But presumably it costs less than the one owned by Gabe Newell that's rated for ten thousand feet below the deepest point that exists in the ocean.

Just look at the thing and consider that the billionaires chose the deathtube.

Has it actually been made yet? That looks like video game concept art.

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

Coast guard presser in less than twenty minutes

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Did they implode the ship after banging SOS on the walls for four days?

Given that they were down almost double what the sub could handle in terms of pressure I wonder if it may have imploded over time. The thing appears to have been so shoddily built that a multi day long stay in the depths of the sea might not have been survivable for it. Just because it has 96 hours of oxygen doesn't mean that it will stay intact for 96 hours given how shoddily the thing was made, if stuck below for that long.

Alternatively, I wonder if the banging was some part of the ballast or sub getting crunched over time as the hull slowly gave way until the pressure just made it go pop. That would be horrifying if so.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 22, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hemale in pain posted:

If pressing up makes you go left, you turn the controller so up is now left

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Imagine if they'd used a wiimote instead

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Yes it's been made and you can see it in Blue Planet II, the deep ocean episode.

The only reason billionaires were on the pringles can was to save some money.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I wonder if those parts they found came loose from the cabin after it imploded? Seems possible.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

LOL this happened when I tried to build a boat in the new Zelda game, luckily in my situation five people didn't get liquefied

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm still hopeful they are ok

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

Imagine if they'd used a wiimote instead

Sounds like ideal application for Kinect

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Why the gently caress wouldn't they just resurface, cancel whatever dive and test, and reinstall the thruster properly? :stare:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Archonex posted:

Why the gently caress wouldn't they just resurface, cancel whatever dive and test, and reinstall the thruster properly? :stare:

Corporate profits would have suffered

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
The next sub will require the Armored Core grip

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

hemale in pain posted:

Forward/Back is done by running both thrusters in the same direction. Rotate is done by running the thrusters in opposite directions. But if one is installed backwards then F/B is now rotate, and rotate is now F/B. So you turn the controller sideways and when you press forward from your perspective you're actually entering a rotate command.. which is now forward.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

500m away is a third of a mile away from the titanic... That's a decent amount of ground to search in the dark with sonar for a used to be pill shaped pod

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Archonex posted:

That would mean admitting failure, which is anathema to the billionaire mindset

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

I mean if by ok you mean obliterated kinetically sure they're ok

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Ratjaculation posted:

sadly even if billionaires were allowed into the Gates of Heaven, the water pressure would prevent their souls from ascending

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Axel Serenity posted:

The next sub will require the Armored Core grip powerglove.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

Seems like it. That company does make some pretty cool submersibles though.

3.3 million and can take you down to 1600 feet. That seems way too deep for a private tech bro sub.
https://www.oceanindependence.com/yachts-for-sale/yacht/triton-submarine-16503lp

Triton built Gabe's sub so a Titanic sub is something they can do. It's probably just a CGI render because no one has ordered one yet.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
From CNN

OceanGate says they believe individuals on missing sub "have sadly been lost"

OceanGate said Thursday that they believe the passengers of the Titanic-bound submersible have “sadly been lost,” according to a statement from the company.
6 min ago
Debris found on ocean floor has been assessed to be from the external body of the Titan sub

From CNN's Priscilla Alvarez

The debris discovered within the search area of the missing Titanic submersible has been assessed to be from the external body of the sub, according to a memo reviewed by CNN.

The search for the crew capsule of the Titan vessel continues, the memo says.

The debris was located on the ocean floor, roughly 500 meters (about a third of a mile) off of the bow of the Titanic, and it was found around 8:55 a.m. ET.

It was discovered by a remotely operated vehicle that was searching the seafloor, according to the US Coast Guard.

The discovery came at an urgent time for the search and rescue effort. Experts say the sub and its five passengers would be reaching the limit of the sub's roughly 96 hours of life support, having gone missing Sunday morning.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Grey Cat posted:

Submechanophobia is a word you might like.

That’s me. I’ve known about thalassophobia but that was never quite right. It’s not the water it’s that freaks me out.

The shot in Titanic when the last bit of the ship, the flagpole with the ball at the end, finally goes under, unnerves the poo poo out of me.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

at that depth the sudden surge of so much pressure would've heated the inside incredibly quickly as it also supercompressed

basically all of them got to experience being at ground zero of an atom bomb

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Me to my wife: They found debris from the sub so I probably imploded and turned everyone to pulp.

My wife: GOOD

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

"Oh no they've installed one of our thrusters backwards, we're doomed!"

"Don't worry, thanks to my years of Monster Hunter experience, I'm a master of the claw grip." :smugdog:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/atomly/status/1671936464475791360?s=61&t=-vp9P7i8Kl2W3uKiLPEWrA

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I wonder if those parts they found came loose from the cabin after it imploded? Seems possible.

Still doesn't explain the banging sound. My money is on parts of the hull, ballast, or windows getting damaged by the pressure leading to loud popping and banging noises until the whole thing just gave way and imploded.

We probably won't know for sure unless they release the sounds though. If there's a really loud noise towards the end then i'd say that's what it was.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Excelzior posted:

at that depth the sudden surge of so much pressure would've heated the inside incredibly quickly as it also supercompressed

basically all of them got to experience being at ground zero of an atom bomb

They didn't experience anything

One moment they were talking to each other and the next was eternal darkness

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I don't understand this guy's point exactly, but I am intrigued that there is pings of giant sharks or something the government is hiding from us:tinfoil:

Rorobb posted:

Yeah I don’t understand this or the other video? How are the sharks pinged? What are they implying is causing the ping at the titanic? Are they saying these specific sharks are going to check it out for some reason? What does this have to do with megaladons??

OCEARCH is a group that captures, tags (with acoustic and/or satellite receivers), and releases sharks and other large oceanic critters and makes their locations available to the public whenever the animals get close enough to the surface to "ping."

These pings are subject to errors for a variety of reasons, which is what happened here. Andromache and Simon are both subadult great white sharks in the 10 foot/400 lb range who move up and down the Atlantic coast. Their actual locations have been corrected to show that they're in the Bay of Fundy, not hovering near the Titanic wreck 500 miles away from the erroneous ping.

The Bananana posted:

Ok, but like.... ignoring various things here, don't sharks usually top... err.. bottom out at 4k ft?

Great whites have been recorded around a max of 4,000 feet. The only deeper large predatory sharks are Hexanchids (sixgills like the sleeper shark and Greenland shark) that go to MAYBE as deep as 7,000 feet. I don't think OCEARCH tracks any sixgills though.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

gregday posted:

That’s me. I’ve known about thalassophobia but that was never quite right. It’s not the water it’s that freaks me out.

The shot in Titanic when the last bit of the ship, the flagpole with the ball at the end, finally goes under, unnerves the poo poo out of me.

i wonder what the local animals thought when that ship went down.

guys guys guys, the five people MIGHT be alive still. has anyone contacted Ariel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

imagine being rich enough to afford one of these cool rear end semi-subs and instead you die in a cramped pipebomb that smells like feet and poo poo in the darkest murky depths of the ocean

lol