Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

i hope more billionaires try to see their wreck and also die in some strange recurrent loop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010
a single transmission is heard from the wreck

send more billionaires

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Biplane posted:

Orcas trying to bust open the tube to get at the tinned meat inside.

Orcas bumping it around to each other like a volleyball.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think once a year we should pick out the richest billionaire, give them a trophy that says they won capitalism, and give them a free mandatory submarine ride

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PoundSand posted:

cause it hits that sweet spot of warming it up enough without drying it out super easily. .

I think that may be the key factor. Warming something by oscillating its water molecules gives you a more even result than warming it with a heat source limited to a single plane.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Tendales posted:

I think once a year we should pick out the richest billionaire, give them a trophy that says they won capitalism, and give them a free mandatory submarine and helicopter ride

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I feel bad for the guys and I hope this leads to commercial private submarines being banned.

I went in one while in Hawaii and the whole time my brain is screaming 'is this a good idea? This doesn't seem like a good idea'. I was 17 at the time and wasn't my decision, I was just along for the ride.

It was a wasted trip because the currents were so strong it kicked up the sand and I didn't get to see anything anyway

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lacrosse posted:

I went in one while in Hawaii and the whole time my brain is screaming 'is this a good idea? This doesn't seem like a good idea'. I was 17 at the time and wasn't my decision, I was just along for the ride.

It was a wasted trip because the currents were so strong it kicked up the sand and I didn't get to see anything anyway

Poseidowned.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Meat Miracle posted:

a single transmission is heard from the wreck

send more billionaires

lol

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I hope the banging turns out to be either orcas playing beachball like someone just said, or something along the lines of the Morse radio transmission in On the Beach (it was just a an open window moving in the breeze and tapping the transmit key)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Weatherman posted:

I hope the banging turns out to be either orcas playing beachball like someone just said, or something along the lines of the Morse radio transmission in On the Beach (it was just a an open window moving in the breeze and tapping the transmit key)

Well if they opened a window, that's pretty much it.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Weatherman posted:

My bet is that it's little chunks of titanium hull that happened to implode and shower the area with shattered metal. Some of it could be banging into the Titanic wreck or into each other.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mycomancy posted:

My bet is that it's little chunks of titanium hull that happened to implode and shower the area with shattered metal. Some of it could be banging into the Titanic wreck or into each other.

It's too small to make "banging" sounds underwater if it's in pieces. (Yes I'm an expert trained in listening to things underwater.)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
ain't no coastguard hearing "banging" from kilometres down, it's bullshit

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
It is the beating of capitalism's hideous heart

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

starkebn posted:

You have to say stuff like that to protect the feelings of our precious job creators

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

starkebn posted:

They don't have to be kilometers down. If the power is out they could be bobbing on the surface, unable to communicate.

(they dead)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Amphigory posted:

You can get taps here in the UK that dispense:

Standard mixer tap got or cool water
Boiling water
Cold, sparkling water

I'd be so terrified of selecting boiling while washing my hands or some poo poo, though

Can I get a link to this?

I'm not in the UK, but I'm looking at buying a house now, and I desperately want a tap that dispenses cold, sparkling water, and am willing to pay some fairly unreasonable prices for it, even if I have to import it.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

I'm not in the UK, but I'm looking at buying a house now, and I desperately want a tap that dispenses cold, sparkling water, and am willing to pay some fairly unreasonable prices for it, even if I have to import it.

build a kegerator

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ham Equity posted:

Quooker is the fancy brand in the UK/ROI

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Ham Equity posted:

I bet you wouldn't like my well water.

This sub thing makes me wish the version of Hell in AMC's Preacher were real. Billionaires in an endless loop of being trapped in there for eternity.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Good news they're confirmed to all be in hell

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Good news they're confirmed to all be in hell

:toot:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

starkebn posted:

My money's on "we heard it explode Sunday, but hell if we're exposing methods."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I mean the SOSUS array could hear that and that's publicly operated now so it might just be that and they haven't written the full thing up yet :shrug:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

They had a worldwide sonar array back in the 60s capable of clearly recording and triangulating the death sounds of Soviet sub K-129 and USS Scorpion. Those are obviously much bigger than the Minnow 2 or whatever they called their death canister but I'll bet that they detected it in close to real time or at least were able to go back and find it immediately once someone told them the sub might be in trouble.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Azathoth posted:

They had a worldwide sonar array back in the 60s capable of clearly recording and triangulating the death sounds of Soviet sub K-129 and USS Scorpion. Those are obviously much bigger than the Minnow 2 or whatever they called their death canister but I'll bet that they detected it in close to real time or at least were able to go back and find it immediately once someone told them the sub might be in trouble.

That's the SOSUS array and they turned it over to academics once the cold war ended.

And I mean I'm sure they have a modern version of it that's hush hush but yeah.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Facebook Aunt posted:

Not necessarily, they still be alive and stewing in their own sweat and piss at this very moment.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/titanic-submersible-missing-searchers-heard-banging-1234774674/

US Coast Guard confirms debris consistent with catastrophic implosion.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

That's the SOSUS array and they turned it over to academics once the cold war ended.

And I mean I'm sure they have a modern version of it that's hush hush but yeah.

Yeah, my point was that if they could already do that 60 years ago, imagine what kinds of tracking tech they're running these days.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tendales posted:

I think once a year we should pick out the richest billionaire, give them a trophy that says they won capitalism, and give them a free mandatory submarine ride
There are over 3,000 billionaires, though. Make it monthly

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Halloween Jack posted:

There are over 3,000 billionaires, though. Make it hourly

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

If we send 10 billionaires down a day we could have this poo poo finished in a year.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

building a guillotine but making the blade out of carbon fiber to reduce the weight

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Azathoth posted:

During ww2, the is navy could locate a depth implosion from a metal ball the size of a softball in the Pacific Ocean.

They used it as a rescue beacon for downed airmen. Just toss a hollow metal ball into the water, and eventually a search team will show up in the area.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

literally what happened

the thing popped as soon as it got down there

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mola Yam posted:

literally what happened

Hell yeah

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Mola Yam posted:

literally what happened

they even shared a recording of the implosion sound captured: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FLRHejWAo8

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

they probably know where Malaysia 370 is as well, but aren't telling us for good reason (aliens)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think that may be the key factor. Warming something by oscillating its water molecules gives you a more even result than warming it with a heat source limited to a single plane.
Sure, microwaves are famous for heating things evenly and not resulting in hot and cold patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Whooping Crabs posted:

they even shared a recording of the implosion sound captured: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FLRHejWAo8

holy poo poo :lol: