Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Tae posted:

Wait, did they remove the cash limit for buying draft picks in the new CBA?

If that’s the case, Mat Ishbia might be busy tonight lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I feel like there should be a rule where if you lose a pick for Tampering, you should get it back if the player you tampered for plays less than one season before having to walk around the rest of his life with a wooden leg like a salty old sea captain. Just my opinion .

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I feel like there should be a rule where if you lose a pick for Tampering, you should get it back if the player you tampered for plays less than one season before having to walk around the rest of his life with a wooden leg like a salty old sea captain. Just my opinion .

The tampering fine was actually a pick + 2oz of cartilage.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Tae posted:

Wait, did they remove the cash limit for buying draft picks in the new CBA?

Some googling, no idea if it's true, but looks like it's 5.6 Million is the limit you can send out or receive for draft picks in total (not per trade). So you spend 4.3 million to move up 7 spots with the Pacers, you can still throw cash at another team with the 1.3 Million left over.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
We're still in 2022/2023 league year, no new CBA provisions are in effect yet.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

The Maestro posted:

Now I do think Smart is “good,” but he’s in for a wake up call having to play twice as often against the West Coast guards. And if he’s the sole PG option while Wyclef Ja is Gone Til December, that’s a 5-20 start.

How many guards (or “point guards” to include Luka and LeBron) do you go through in the WC before you find a better one in the East? SGA, Fox, Curry, Dame, Murray, Kyrie, Ant, Book (not counting Ja or course) vs. Brunson, Trae, Jrue, Harden, Garland?

I would be very surprised if Memphis had a losing record by the end of Ja's suspension. They are a very good team and will be playing a mixture of good, mediocre, and bad teams in those 25 games. Smart is very much capable of maintaining the ship as they wait for ja we can see this by the fact the Celtics were very successful with him as the pg and every year of his career had a positive net rating with him on the court.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Maestro posted:

Smart is about to be the primary and only ball handler for 25 games. Smart is certainly an upgrade over Tyus and Brooks, but that is going to be some ugly basketball. He’s a great fit next to Ja, but he’ll be playing the 3 in lineups with Bane. And if it’s not Bane, it’s the Nard Dog.

Right, and Tyus is not on Memphis any more.
Here’s a little nugget to chew on: why did the Celtics keep trying to find a point guard for the last 6 years if they already had Smart?

Okay, and the Celtics still won a poo poo ton of games in the regular and have made the finals and conference finals a bunch lol.

25 games at the start of the season, is not going to be a problem for the Grizzlies and that roster to deal with.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Celtics are better having dealt Smart unfortunately

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Nodoze posted:

They are absolutely worse for trading smart for Porzingis

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Acknowledging complete homer bias on Tyus, I'd rather him over Smart straight up. But then, I think Tyus' best contributions are massively underrated while Smart's are pretty easy to see.

Getting rid of Brooks, they needed a solid defender who was at least a plausible shooter. Smart's playmaking ability enabled them to shift out Jones to make it happen. I'm very curious who they plan to have run their second unit because finding a guy who can credibly jump in with the starters and also not meltdown when relegated to rotation duty isn't easy... especially when you've just given up 2 firsts and your best bench piece. The Grizz have done more with less so I won't bet against them figuring it out but I'm also not convinced they wouldn't better off having kept Tyus, using the picks in another deal, and picking up someone like Okogie on a minimum.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Nodoze posted:

Everyone just assuming porzingis plays 65 games again this year, and at the same level, is pretty surprising to me

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Paracaidas posted:

Acknowledging complete homer bias on Tyus, I'd rather him over Smart straight up. But then, I think Tyus' best contributions are massively underrated while Smart's are pretty easy to see.

Getting rid of Brooks, they needed a solid defender who was at least a plausible shooter. Smart's playmaking ability enabled them to shift out Jones to make it happen. I'm very curious who they plan to have run their second unit because finding a guy who can credibly jump in with the starters and also not meltdown when relegated to rotation duty isn't easy... especially when you've just given up 2 firsts and your best bench piece. The Grizz have done more with less so I won't bet against them figuring it out but I'm also not convinced they wouldn't better off having kept Tyus, using the picks in another deal, and picking up someone like Okogie on a minimum.

The plan might be to see if Bane can do that once Ja is back

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Weird grammar but

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/1671956935627735063?s=20

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/davidaldridgedc/status/1671731085108031489

the grizz telling Tyus theyre gonna find him a starting spot and then shipping him to DC to ball with chris paul and landry shamet, love it

Also everyone has them taking a PG that has a very similar game in the first in Black.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

If that’s the case, Mat Ishbia might be busy tonight lol

It would be funny for the team that had "the worst draft process in many years" described by Givony to actually pick, and then pay to get more picks. My assumption is the second is part of the Beal Deal which made the whole process not worthwhile for them to do.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1671959252947091457

:psyduck: :signings:

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1671959252947091457?s=46&t=NtxxCias50zabi_dyONvXw

That was quick

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That Lord of the Rings "never thought I'd be fighting alongside a dwarf" meme but it's Foochs and monkeu

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This is the off-season of the gently caress it why not trades

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/1671959563300421633?s=20

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

monkeu and foochs united

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My streak of not having to cheer for Chris Paul lives.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Or not...

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1671959960878456835?s=20

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Having to send compensation for the corpse of Paul.

Pooles value dropped so loving fast

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Gross

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

golden state is winning a championship next year. grats foochs

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

CharlestheHammer posted:

Having to send compensation for the corpse of Paul.

Pooles value dropped so loving fast

He'll get to roleplay Gilbert Arenas on a terrible Wizards team

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
That’s uh…. Well that’s a trade. I don’t see how that helps the warriors at all. Or the wizards for that matter

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Aye Doc posted:

golden state is winning a championship next year. grats foochs

All the Warriors were missing during that LA series was Crisp Haul

*borat voice* not

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It’s funny Poole tanked his value so fast but just in terms of improving your roster that’s a really good trade for Golden State imo. Paul should be able to take er easy in the regular season on a team with Steph. Plus it gives you some decent insurance offensively against Dray leaving

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

quote:

On October 5, 2022, during a team practice with the Warriors, Poole and teammate Draymond Green got into an altercation, resulting in Green striking Poole. On October 9, Green publicly apologized for the incident and announced that he would spend a few days away from the team. On October 12, the team fined Green for the altercation as opposed to the suspected suspension. On October 15, 2022, Poole signed a four-year contract extension worth $123 million and $17 million in incentives, with $5 million categorized as LTBE with the Warriors.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Now we’re really in the Deal Zone

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i am a moron posted:

All the Warriors were missing during that LA series was Crisp Haul

*borat voice* not

losing poole on its own is +2 wins value over a 7 game series

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

The world won't make it to 2030. Savvy move Warriors.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Aye Doc posted:

losing poole on its own is +2 wins value over a 7 game series

Yea and you replaced him with a short 40 year old with an unclear fit who’s going to wipe those gains out

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE FOOCHS :getin:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Rick posted:

My streak of not having to cheer for Chris Paul lives.

Yeah. Sorry, Foochs.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

So does Golden State cut Paul or nah

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Now we’re really in the Deal Zone

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

The Maestro posted:

Here’s a little nugget to chew on: why did the Celtics keep trying to find a point guard for the last 6 years if they already had Smart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Also Tyus Jones is UFA after this season, Grizzlies probably figured they wouldn't be able to keep him anyway and it would only get more difficult to get anything for him as the season progressed