Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Mellow Seas posted:

Will Wright is famously libertarian.

I assume he wasn’t involved in the Super Nintendo version that let you exclusively use Communist rail in place of roads to reduce pollution.

Yeah the SNES version was straight up made the dev team at Nintendo that made the mainline Mario and Zelda games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

Also, it's interesting to note that as these legal actions are going on, two of the major (and generic) drugs used to treat cancer, cisplatin & carboplatin, are in shortage because of a major manufacturing plant in India being shut down.

It’s more than high end drugs. My kid has an ear infection. There was no children ibuprofen, one pharmacy had a brand I’d never seen before endorsed by a celebrity. Okay nothing else. Either had contamination or temperature abuse when we popped the seal just gross looking.

Then it took four pharmacies to get the amoxicillin because apparently that’s all out too.

It’s not just the origin supply difficulties. There are a lot of in transit losses happening too (I see the claims but thus unfortunately cannot be specific there).

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s more than high end drugs. My kid has an ear infection. There was no children ibuprofen, one pharmacy had a brand I’d never seen before endorsed by a celebrity. Okay nothing else. Either had contamination or temperature abuse when we popped the seal just gross looking.

Then it took four pharmacies to get the amoxicillin because apparently that’s all out too.

It’s not just the origin supply difficulties. There are a lot of in transit losses happening too (I see the claims but thus unfortunately cannot be specific there).

The cancer drugs in short supply are generics, not high end, but yes: Drug shortages are happening all over, especially low-cost/generic antibiotics.

I know it's due to manufacturing monopolies, but it's still weird that this happens after legislation that sorta/kinda/maybe will start regulating a handful of high-end cancer drugs has passed & faces manufacturer lawsuits.

I wish other states would start following California's lead in starting up state owned & operated manufacturing facilities for generics, as CA is doing for insulin. As the news stories have said: Drug companies can't squeeze blood money from generic-drug stones, so they're disincentivized from producing them from a capitalist standpoint.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Liquid Communism posted:

You sully the name of MECC.

Of course despite being an extremely successful educational software program, it got sold to venture capital in the early 90's and was out of business by '99.

Private Equity strikes again.

I visited them in 1995 to discuss licensing “Odell Down Under” for Lightspan. Cool company.

Coincidently I did a version of The Oregon Trail but with climate refugees in 2019.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Liquid Communism posted:

You sully the name of MECC.

Of course despite being an extremely successful educational software program, it got sold to venture capital in the early 90's and was out of business by '99.

It looks like MECC was bought by a different company called "Softkey/The Learning Company" and that company was bought by Mattel. So, they stopped existing as a separate company, but they were probably making a bunch of Barbie and Hotwheels PC games from 1999 through 2001 as "Mattel Interactive."

Which is possibly an even worse fate than just going bankrupt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MECC

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Willa Rogers posted:

The cancer drugs in short supply are generics, not high end, but yes: Drug shortages are happening all over, especially low-cost/generic antibiotics.

I know it's due to manufacturing monopolies, but it's still weird that this happens after legislation that sorta/kinda/maybe will start regulating a handful of high-end cancer drugs has passed & faces manufacturer lawsuits.

I wish other states would start following California's lead in starting up state owned & operated manufacturing facilities for generics, as CA is doing for insulin. As the news stories have said: Drug companies can't squeeze blood money from generic-drug stones, so they're disincentivized from producing them from a capitalist standpoint.

Absolutely, I'd like to see Washington State follow suit, but what would really be something would be a national effort like CHIPs.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Apparently Zuck and Musk are going through with the cage match thing. Idiocracy overestimated us.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bar Ran Dun posted:

What do you mean by in-transit losses? They are being damaged during transit? Lost during transit? Stolen during transit?

And to such a level that it is causing shortages that didn't previously exist? For specific drugs or in general?

Thanks for the info and perspective.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Absolutely, I'd like to see Washington State follow suit, but what would really be something would be a national effort like CHIPs.

Our owned-and-operated federal politicians will never allow such a thing; look at how the drug-price controls that passed were narrowed to the point of being almost meaningless.

States without major pharma manufacturers as is the case in NJ and other locales have a fighting chance, though. And Mark Cuban's startup plans to start manufacturing drugs, too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The clown car may get slightly bigger.

If he runs, it would make a full 1/3 of all Republican presidential candidates from Florida.

Still seems like a very strange career choice, but maybe this is a follow-up grift to his time at the NRSC to divert more Republican campaign fundraising money to promoting himself? In which case, I wish him the best of luck.

Poor Ron DeSantis. Literally everything he needed to happen (Trump not running, a one-on-one race if Trump does run, big initial boost after declaring, and Trump losing popularity with Republicans after indictments) has not only failed to happen, but has actually exploded in the opposite direction. He wanted a one-on-one race and they are one candidate away from surpassing the record amount who ran in 2016.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1671927272578727950

quote:

Senator Rick Scott of Florida is considering a late entry into the Republican presidential primary race, a move that would make him the latest high-profile Florida Republican to try to wrest the nomination from Donald J. Trump, according to two people familiar with the discussions.

Should he enter the race, Mr. Scott, Florida’s former governor, would be challenging both the front-runner, Mr. Trump, as well as the distant-second rival, Ron DeSantis, the state’s current governor. Mr. Scott would also join Mr. Trump, Mr. DeSantis and Mayor Francis X. Suarez of Miami as the fourth Republican presidential candidate from Florida. Mr. DeSantis in particular could see his support erode further if Mr. Scott adds to an already crowded field of Trump alternatives.

Mr. Scott, who came to power as governor during the Tea Party wave of 2010, has been discussing a possible campaign for several weeks, according to the people familiar with the talks. Like other recent entries, Mr. Scott appears to be assessing a G.O.P. field in which Mr. DeSantis, with whom Mr. Scott has had a difficult relationship, has lost some support after a series of missteps and unforced errors.

Larry Hogan, the Republican former governor of Maryland, captured this sentiment in a recent CBS News interview, calling Mr. DeSantis’s campaign “one of the worst I’ve seen so far.” He added, “Everyone was thinking he was the guy to beat, and now I don’t think too many people think that.”

On Thursday, Will Hurd, a moderate Republican and former Texas congressman, announced a long-shot candidacy for president in a video message.

For Mr. Scott, who is 70 years old and wealthy enough that he can fund his own candidacy, the campaign could be the last chance he has to make a bid for the White House, a run he has long shown interest in. Should a Republican unseat President Biden in the 2024 election, it would be difficult for Mr. Scott or anyone else in the party to challenge that new president during a re-election effort four years later.

But running for president would be a dramatic shift for Mr. Scott, who announced earlier this year that he would seek a second six-year term in the Senate in 2024 instead of a national campaign.

Mr. Scott’s senior adviser, Chris Hartline, said in a statement to The New York Times: “It’s flattering that some have mentioned the possibility of Senator Scott running for President, but as he’s said many times, he’s running for re-election to the Senate.”

If Mr. Scott does decide to enter the race, it is unclear how aggressively he would challenge Mr. Trump, who currently dominates the field even after being indicted twice.

Mr. Scott led a major for-profit hospital chain before getting involved in politics. He served as governor of Florida for two terms before running for Senate in 2018. In 2021 and 2022, he was the chairman of the Senate Republican campaign arm, the National Republican Senatorial Committee, a prestige perch that senators often use to boost their national profiles ahead of a presidential campaign. Mr. Scott’s tenure was rocky, marked by a cash drain from the committee and criticisms about how the money was spent.

Mr. Trump made clear early on that he planned on trying to keep his grip on the Republican Party after the attack on the Capitol by a pro-Trump mob on Jan. 6, 2021. Mr. Scott visited Mr. Trump at Mar-a-Lago, the former president’s private club, in April 2021 to grant him a newly-created award from the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

“This weekend I was proud to recognize President Donald Trump with the inaugural @NRSC Champion for Freedom Award,” Mr. Scott wrote on Twitter, posing in a picture with Mr. Trump. “President Trump fought for American workers, secured the border, and protected our constitutional rights.”

At the time, Mr. Trump remained popular with the Republican Party’s base even after his baseless claims that the 2020 election was “rigged” against him. Mr. Scott, as chairman of a party committee, appeared to find harmony with Mr. Trump to be in the best interests of Senate nominees.

Mr. Scott has had a more contentious relationship with Mr. DeSantis.

Before Mr. DeSantis signed into state law a bill restricting most abortions after six weeks of pregnancy, Mr. Scott said that he favored keeping what were then the current restrictions, after 15 weeks of pregnancy. He also called for “cooler heads” to “prevail” as Mr. DeSantis escalated a feud with Disney, the largest private employer in Florida. A monthslong fight between the governor and the company stemmed from the opposition some officials at Disney had to a new state law restricting gender and sexuality education in elementary schools.

Mr. Scott was not a favorite of some of his colleagues in the Senate. In 2022, he ran an ultimately failed bid to oust the Senate minority leader, Mitch McConnell, from his leadership position, the capstone in what had become a toxic relationship between the two Republicans.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Apparently Zuck and Musk are going through with the cage match thing. Idiocracy overestimated us.

How frequent are accidental permanent injuries in the ring these days?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Willa Rogers posted:

Our owned-and-operated federal politicians will never allow such a thing; look at how the drug-price controls that passed were narrowed to the point of being almost meaningless.

States without major pharma manufacturers as is the case in NJ and other locales have a fighting chance, though. And Mark Cuban's startup plans to start manufacturing drugs, too.

Oh for sure, it's just sad to get reminders of what the US Federal Govt can actually do when it puts its weight behind something and it's massively successful. If only we could do lots of this stuff instead of shoving money into the MIC engine.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think the better question is what news is Musk trying to distract people from with this media stunt?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Is Uwe Boll still taking on new challengers?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

snorch posted:

Sadly, his production company that was based on buying very cheap movie rights and then getting a huge tax break from the German government has failed after Germany closed that tax loophole. He no longer has his own production company and therefore no longer needs to do weird stunts to publicize it.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

snorch posted:

For better or worse, Elon sticking to the Lowtax website arc is raising my hopes that it ends in the exact same way

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Dare we dream big? The arena collapses, takes them both and a small legion of their desperate nut-hangers that went there in person.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He no longer has his own production company and therefore no longer needs to do weird stunts to publicize it.

He’s opening up two new restaurants and has a book coming out, maybe we should call his agent.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

You aren't crazy. Everyone did really become much more dangerous drivers during the pandemic and remain much more dangerous drivers.

The GHSA has finished their collection of data from 49 states (Oklahoma did not provide data for some reason) on car-related fatalities for pedestrians and dangerous driving.

They not only got much more dangerous, but they were record-settingly dangerous for pedestrians. 2020 broke the previous record set in 1980 for highest rate of pedestrian traffic deaths. And then 2021 and 2022 continued to each break the records from the previous years.

Weirdly, Iowa drivers actually got significantly safer. Several other states had mild improvements as well, but the 24 states with increases all had extremely large increases in fatalities that overwhelmed the improvement in other states.

Arizona, Oregon, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Virginia, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts had the largest increases in deaths.

One strange result: In their analysis of the last decade of data, they also note that 2016 had a very large increase in traffic fatalities that reversed decades of improvements, but they have no data that can conclusively prove why.

quote:

GHSA previously issued a report finding that 3,434 pedestrians were killed on U.S. roadways in the first half of 2022, based on preliminary data reported by State Highway Safety Offices. A second report analyzing state-reported data for all of 2022 found that roadways continue to be incredibly deadly for pedestrians. There were 2.37 pedestrian deaths per billion vehicle miles traveled (VMT) in 2022, up yet again and continuing a troubling trend of elevated rates that began in 2020.

The report also includes an analysis of 2021 data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System to provide additional context on when, where and how drivers strike and kill people on foot. This analysis uncovered a shocking safety disparity for people walking: Pedestrian deaths rose a troubling 77% between 2010 and 2021, compared to a 25% rise in all other traffic fatalities. The data analysis was conducted by Elizabeth Petraglia, Ph.D., of research firm Westat.

quote:

Both state and national data confirm that the pedestrian safety crisis on U.S. roads is worsening. While the projected increase in pedestrian fatalities in 2022 (compared with the prior year) is not as high as recent years (just 1%), it is still on par to be the highest number since 1981. GHSA projects 7,508 pedestrians were killed in 2022 among the 49 states and D.C. included in this analysis. And this number excludes an entire state (Oklahoma), which has averaged 92 fatalities annually over the past three years, according to prior GHSA reports.

Interestingly, more states saw a decline in their overall number of fatalities (26 plus D.C.) than did not (22), with one state (Rhode Island) reporting no change. However, the overall increase can be attributed to states with large increases, such as Arizona, Virginia and Oregon. The federal FARS data include more information on crashes and yield more insights on specific factors involved in pedestrian deaths but lag one year behind the state data. In 2021, excessive speed was reported as a factor in a growing proportion of pedestrian fatalities for the second year in a row. Alcohol impairment was reported in more fatally injured pedestrians (30.5%) than motor vehicle drivers involved in these deaths (19%). Consistent with past trends, most pedestrian fatalities occurred at night and a greater proportion are taking place in locations without sidewalks.

The good news is that states are increasingly adopting a Safe System approach to help prevent pedestrian/motor vehicle crashes. This approach has been implemented successfully in other countries for many years.12 The approach stresses that it will take a holistic change to protect pedestrians. While much of the Safe System emphasis is placed on building infrastructure that ensures safe and equitable mobility for everyone on the road, SHSOs can – and do – have an important role to play. They can educate elected officials, law enforcement, the media and the public about the benefits of infrastructure improvements and how they work, as well as reinforce that we all share responsibility for keeping people on foot safe.

https://www.ghsa.org/resources/Pedestrians23

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 22, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

You aren't crazy. Everyone did really become much more dangerous drivers during the pandemic and remain much more dangerous drivers.

The GHSA has finished their collection of data from 49 states (Oklahoma did not provide data for some reason) on car-related fatalities for pedestrians and dangerous driving.

They not only got much more dangerous, but they were record-settingly dangerous for pedestrians. 2020 broke the previous record set in 1980 for highest rate of pedestrian traffic deaths. And then 2021 and 2022 continued to each break the records from the previous years.

Weirdly, Iowa drivers actually got significantly safer. Several other states had mild improvements as well, but the 24 states with increases all had extremely large increases in fatalities that overwhelmed the improvement in other states.

Arizona, Oregon, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Virginia, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts had the largest increases in deaths.

https://www.ghsa.org/resources/Pedestrians23

hmm based on the inflection point in 2010, i'm assuming a large part of this is suvs and trucks making up a bigger share of vehicles on the road and turning what would have been an injury into a fatality. even before the potential pandemic changes to driving habits pedestrian fatalities were up 50% for the decade

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

hmm based on the inflection point in 2010, i'm assuming a large part of this is suvs and trucks making up a bigger share of vehicles on the road and turning what would have been an injury into a fatality. even before the potential pandemic changes to driving habits pedestrian fatalities were up 50% for the decade

Smart phones probably also became ubiquitous around 2010 as well. Wikipedia says iPhone launched in 2007 but at that time I think it was still just a rich persons toy.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

This is most likely a big contributor since Pickup and SUV drivers are more likely to hit pedestrians while turning, and Pickup trucks, being bigger, are far more likely to result in a fatal accident (both sources, consumer reports)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Smart phones probably also became ubiquitous around 2010 as well. Wikipedia says iPhone launched in 2007 but at that time I think it was still just a rich persons toy.

Yes, thinking back it was really the early ‘10s before they were a common sight. But the reduced visibility (and higher weight) of bigger cars probably also plays a role.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Yes, thinking back it was really the early ‘10s before they were a common sight.

Children of Men was released in 2006 and no one in that future had a smart phone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Yes, thinking back it was really the early ‘10s before they were a common sight. But the reduced visibility (and higher weight) of bigger cars probably also plays a role.

Oh absolutely. I’m just thinking smart phones prolly also had an effect.

Not that people weren’t texting and driving before smart phones or anything (I remember being a teen and driving and trying to text with T9 at the same time) but smart phones and apps made it a lot easier and more attractive to do stuff.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think these are likely big contributors.

It is still kind of interesting to try and figure out why the pandemic and 2016 seemed to fully break the 40-year trend. There's lots of good theories, but none of them are 100% provable.

The pandemic didn't really have anything explicitly to do with driving, but there are a lot of interesting theories about people getting lazy because roads were empty for so long or the social fabric fraying.

2016 may have been the high point where SUV market dominance and smart phone dangers combined or it just might have been a weird outlier year that was just part of a general trend.

Unrelated, but gender-affirming care continues its 100% win streak in federal court. I can't really think of a similar issue where so many states passed similar laws all at once that were all individually rolled back in such a short time.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1671946799634939906

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Boris Galerkin posted:

I believe Uber/Lyft began operating in earnest not too long after 2011-12, and Tesla rolled out their atrocious "autopilot" in 2014-15 correct? Definitely seems like driving underwent a pretty monumental shift in the past decade or so. Cars had mostly remained the same from an operational standpoint, but then: Wham! cell phones, gps, uber, autopilot, etc in a pretty short span of time.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fluffs McCloud posted:

I believe Uber/Lyft began operating in earnest not too long after 2011-12, and Tesla rolled out their atrocious "autopilot" in 2014-15 correct? Definitely seems like driving underwent a pretty monumental shift in the past decade or so. Cars had mostly remained the same from an operational standpoint, but then: Wham! cell phones, gps, uber, autopilot, etc in a pretty short span of time.

I think you're right that it is likely a confluence of multiple big changes, but I don't think Tesla or Uber really factor into it.

Only a very tiny amount of people owned a Tesla in 2014 and an even smaller segment of that tiny group had the full autopilot feature.

Definitely not enough people to be responsible for a meaningful chunk of the ~90% increase in fatalities in 6 years.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The 1st gen mostly was, but the iPhone 3G is when they started doing subsidies, and it wasn't 3x the cost of a Blackberry or Windows CE phone anymore. The iPhone 4 is when it stopped being AT&T exclusive and Verizon picked it up, then Sprint got the 4S, so roughly 2010 is when it opened up to a lot more people.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

PhRMA, the Global Colon Cancer Association, and the National Infusion Center Association have announced that they are suing the government over the prescription drug price controls in the IRA.

https://twitter.com/PhRMA/status/1671530125970513920
https://twitter.com/PhRMA/status/1671868554721873924

This seems like a lot of people wrote a lot of words that can be summed up with: "nationalize pharmaceutical manufacture"

Too bad we live in America, Land of the Free (to do business), Home of the Brave (that will die preventable deaths because Capital was not fed)

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

I think these are likely big contributors.

It is still kind of interesting to try and figure out why the pandemic and 2016 seemed to fully break the 40-year trend. There's lots of good theories, but none of them are 100% provable.

The pandemic didn't really have anything explicitly to do with driving, but there are a lot of interesting theories about people getting lazy because roads were empty for so long or the social fabric fraying.

2016 may have been the high point where SUV market dominance and smart phone dangers combined or it just might have been a weird outlier year that was just part of a general trend.

Wasn't 2016 when Pokemon Go was released? I bet that had an outsized impact on both distracted driving and walking as well.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Don't forget the rise of the mostly unregulated gig economy of bringing nuggies to shut in house goblins. Uber Eats/Door dash/GrubHub all incentivise people driving recklessly in order to maximize their earnings since they are paid poo poo and given essentially no benefits.

And of course the use of this stuff exploded with COVID and seems to continue apace. It's rare to see an empty drive thru line these days, as I'm sure people that would otherwise not want to go get fast food can now just have a serf do it for them. The handful of times we've used an Uber to get downtown and back, the drivers were extremely reckless wrt speed and other traffic laws.

That particular blight on our society needs to be regulated into the ground or into a business that can function while not relying on such obvious exploitation (lol, lmao)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

plainswalker75 posted:

Wasn't 2016 when Pokemon Go was released? I bet that had an outsized impact on both distracted driving and walking as well.

And people getting thrown out of the Holocaust Museum

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Professor Beetus posted:

Don't forget the rise of the mostly unregulated gig economy of bringing nuggies to shut in house goblins. Uber Eats/Door dash/GrubHub all incentivise people driving recklessly in order to maximize their earnings since they are paid poo poo and given essentially no benefits.

And of course the use of this stuff exploded with COVID and seems to continue apace. It's rare to see an empty drive thru line these days, as I'm sure people that would otherwise not want to go get fast food can now just have a serf do it for them. The handful of times we've used an Uber to get downtown and back, the drivers were extremely reckless wrt speed and other traffic laws.

That particular blight on our society needs to be regulated into the ground or into a business that can function while not relying on such obvious exploitation (lol, lmao)

I would not be surprised to see a study say boomers are hitting QSRs harder than ever, the pandemic really seems to have flipped some sort of hedonism switch in folks.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Car shares, smartphones and simply more people on the road all sound like plausible reasons, but it doesn't explain why the US really seems to be an outlier. European countries are flat or down over that same time period, apart from the UK which is up slightly.

I think the rise of the SUV is a big factor here.

sweek0 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 22, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Also I feel like Uber/Lyft (and also Airbnb) were a lot better when they first rolled out. I remember getting picked up in Uber/Lyfts all the time with people who were well dressed, well spoken, offered snacks and water bottles, in nice(/niceish) cars. In fact, this was one of the things people said they liked about Uber/Lyft over random taxis is that the driver and the ride felt safer and more clean.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
to get on a soap box for a second, i really do just hate suvs and light pickups and i'm not even much of a pedestrian or bicyclist. as someone who drives a compact 4 door sedan they obstruct my line of sight, shine their headlights directly into my cabin and mirrors, and on the newer models their front grill seems purpose built to ram directly at my seated height in a tbone collision

like setting aside the fact that they kill more pedestrians, pollute more, up the square footage devoted to parking, and generally wreck mayhem in our society, they just make for an unpleasant driving experience for the rest of us motorists

and don't get me started on how overly elevated the beds on most pickups these days are, i worked with an old 2000 tacoma that you could just reach down and snag a hand tool, on the more recent models i've worked with i have to jump up on the tire or the tailgate to get a tool laying flat in the bed

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also I feel like Uber/Lyft (and also Airbnb) were a lot better when they first rolled out. I remember getting picked up in Uber/Lyfts all the time with people who were well dressed, well spoken, offered snacks and water bottles, in nice(/niceish) cars. In fact, this was one of the things people said they liked about Uber/Lyft over random taxis is that the driver and the ride felt safer and more clean.

Services which require a customer to ride in someone's vehicle are probably going to be significantly different from people who are picking up food and dropping it off at your house. I think there may even be differences as far as how new your car has to be etc, but not sure since I've never driven for any of them. The one time I considered Uber I didn't qualify due to the age of my car despite it being extremely reliable, in great condition, and single owner.

e: also to be clear I think we are ell essentially correct, because all of these factors seem likely have measurable impacts, even if there is eventually one thing we can conclusively point to as the main contributor.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 22, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bellmaker posted:

I would not be surprised to see a study say boomers are hitting QSRs harder than ever, the pandemic really seems to have flipped some sort of hedonism switch in folks.

Boomers are way too savvy (and too cheap) to spend $15 in fees to deliver $10 of fast food. :wink: In fact, it's a hot topic of discussion (and disbelief) at the boomer bbq's & happy hours.

eta: If you meant going to fast food to get takeout, that's almost as anathema, bc once you hit your 60s you start paying more attention to what you're shoveling down the old gullet.

I know of one friend's husband who sneaks fast food when she's not around but everyone else are p. conscientious eaters.

In other news, good news for the male schnozzers:

quote:

The longer the snout, the bigger the schlong.

A new study published in Translational Andrology and Urology shows that men with longer noses really do have bigger penises.

The research team at Ulsan University Hospital in South Korea looked at 1,160 men in their thirties and measured their nose size — the length from the corner of the eye to the end of each nostril — and compared it to the size of their nonerect penis.

Most men in the study had a nonerect length of two to four inches and a circumference of two-and-a-half inches — but their member was more sizable if they also had a longer sniffer.

Scientists believe the phenomenon is due to exposure to higher levels of testosterone — which plays a part in the formation of both the nose and the genitals of baby boys — in the womb.

Researchers also discovered that men with big feet are more likely to have a penis with a wider circumference since testosterone also affects limb formation in the womb.

“Nose size is an important indicator of penile size. And penile circumference increased with foot size,” researcher Dr. Sungwoo Hong said. “Several studies have suggested hormone exposure in the prenatal period affects the growth of reproductive organs.”

The latest research corroborates a 2021 Japanese study that revealed that men with a nose measuring 1.7 inches long had a nonerect penis of 4 inches — but those with a 2.1-inch nose had an average penis size of over five inches long.

(A mod never got back to me when I asked if it was against the rules to post NYP stories, but I've linked to the source study & I'm also happy to swap in another summary if I've disobeyed an unwritten rule so please lmk.)

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

WebDO posted:

This seems like a lot of people wrote a lot of words that can be summed up with: "nationalize pharmaceutical manufacture"

Too bad we live in America, Land of the Free (to do business), Home of the Brave (that will die preventable deaths because Capital was not fed)

I'm beginning to think that the real Threat to Democracy lies in politicians paying more heed to their donors than to their voters.